Habs vs. Flyers | Game Thread | Game 5

Fanpuck33

AWWWW, Fat Tony is cwying.....somebody get him an e-tissue.

Last year when Kovalev was playing badly I didn't pitch a hissy fit and plan my departure when he got torched on the board. Because I'm a CANADIENS fan first, and a Kovalev fan a very distant second. If your Carey Price mancrush is that strong already, then maybe you need to step back and re-evaluate things.

And you're still a joke of a fan who will eventually break an ankle jumping on and off the bandwagon. Stow your homophobia once again there Brucie, I defend each and every player tonight. They all brought their best, played their hearts out and came up short. The difference between me and you is I'm the guy sitting in the Bell Centre applauding our boys 5 minutes after the game and your the clown on the cell phone walking out with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd.

Keep on whining and bandwagon jumping...EVERYONE sees right through a phony like you.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well obviously a disappointing result for the boys tonight. Surprisingly Im not as mad and upset as I had expected to be. I figured Id be steaming but instead I find myself greatful to have had the opportunity to watch meaningful hockey, even if only for a few weeks.

This is what I take away:

-nobody predicted us to get this far, most picked us out of the playoffs

-we have one of the youngest teams in the league

-the core of our team should be around for years to come

-we have very little in terms of UFAs to resign

Instead of jumping all over the guys, let us celebrate a great season and get ready for a tremendous centennial year hopefully featuring our 25th drink from Lord Stanley's mug.

You sir are a quality fan who gets it :clap:

I enjoyed this season. The boys were great! Good times ahead no doubt. I guess we should have seen red flags in the Boston series. Price let us down and Biron was hot. So were the goal posts and lucky bounces that seemed to be going the Flyers way.

I sure didn't want to lose to the Flyers, I wanted Pittsburgh.......oh well. Next year we are 100 years old and hopefully we will be able to engrave Saku's name on a cup.

No tears guys, it was a good run, and it wasn't that dip shit Briere ending it on the break-away he had. Go easy on Price this summer.....He will be great!

Where is One Sharp Marble? I bet him the Flyers would make the play-offs, but I didn't think they would knock us out. Oh well!!!

I think I'll skip town for a bit. See you guys in July for the UFA CRAZE!!!!!

Peace

He better do a damn fine job, given how it's obvious that he screwed up on the Huet deal. That second round pick better turn into something significant, given that it most likely cost us a trip to the third round this year.

It'll be discussed over and over again but I don't think you can call the Huet deal a mistake just yet. Gainey has a plan and his plan wasn't to win this season - if anything, the Huet deal shuold make that perfectly obvious to us. The plan was to give Price and Halak the experience, and then to win next year or the year after. Had we kept Huet with the team MAYBE we would have advanced past the Flyers and played a bit more hockey. But then after he walks for free agency, we have to play with Price next year for the first time - we'd go into the playoffs with a contending team but with a goalie that lacks that experience.

This one'll take a long time to judge but I think the one thing we can be absolutely sure of is that the trade was never meant to make us a better team for THIS playoff run... which is how I think most of the bashers are looking at it.

Chill people no name-calling allowed

on the bright side, summer and then :hlogo: 100th season

and appears HW has a new server

the kids will take lessons

see ya round

Sorry, you are out of line. Price did not play well, in fact, he was brutal for many of the games. I am sorry that hurts your feelings.

I don't think anyone is saying that the rest of the team was awesome, but a few of them (price included) were downright brutal. This needs to change. We don't want to be the former sens, who win the regular season every year but get pushed out in the playoffs...

This doesn't make me a fairweather fan. I have followed this team through far worse season then this. I have every right to point out the good and the bad (in my opinion). I want my team to improve.

If i have been accused of anything this season, it was sticking up for players too much. I am not however blind.

Hey skippy, did I say he played great? Unfortunately we can say that about any player this series...but I still stand behind our boys for giving their best in game 5. Hockey people understand this was 100% a team loss by a scared team playing their guts out...casual fans blame the goalies (remember Halak wasn't a world beater either...Huet didn't look like a Vezina winner on his series ending goal either...scored by...pause for it...a Flyer :lol: )

This was a learning season for a lot of young players...let's hope they ALL learned.

More loser talk from a life long loser. Have you ever even played hockey there homophobic man?

Tony, based on your past posts, you're above this talk. Let it go, and keep on contributing.

:rolleyes:

You guys are never going to meet eachother in your lifetimes. If you're each so convinced the other one's an idiot, why respond? You'll only get more "loser talk" back at you.

So back to hockey - Price had a really shaky second period but I'm proud of him overall. He was trying his hardest and he made some huge stops (the two breakaways and two others come to mind, one in the first period, another in the third) though he let in some softies that probably cost us the game. He didn't back down though, he is well on his way to superstardom, I think.

Hey skippy, did I say he played great? Unfortunately we can say that about any player this series...but I still stand behind our boys for giving their best in game 5. Hockey people understand this was 100% a team loss by a scared team playing their guts out...casual fans blame the goalies (remember Halak wasn't a world beater either...Huet didn't look like a Vezina winner on his series ending goal either...scored by...pause for it...a Flyer :lol: )

This was a learning season for a lot of young players...let's hope they ALL learned.

So experts think Price was not the number one issue? We had issues everywhere, but they were not fatal (in this series). What was fatal was some extremely weak goalending. Price was terrible this entire series. He didn't break .900 in any game. And while there were a few bad defensive gaffs, at least 2 goals in the last few games he played were just not acceptable.

I am hardly calling for the trading of Price, but imo, if he was average to above average, we either win or lose it in 7.

In any case, stating the obvious about Price's play is hardly jumping off the bandwagon.

The mistake, imho, was Gainey's to put this much pressure on him. It was a gamble and it didn't help Price, it might have hurt. I also don't blame Carbo, he was put in this position.

I have to wonder how much of the bad play by the team was due to them losing confidence.

In any case, I am back to watching and hoping the Gainey can pull of some good moves in the summer. I will watch Dallas, Detroit, and the Pens go for the cup.

It was a very good series guys, every game was a nail biter, and even up 3-1, I was not comfortable, and half way through the 2nd, I was pretty sure the series was going to swing the other way big time.

the big thing the habs need is heart. Koivu was really the only Habs I saw busting his behind every game.

So experts think Price was not the number one issue? We had issues everywhere, but they were not fatal (in this series). What was fatal was some extremely weak goalending. Price was terrible this entire series. He didn't break .900 in any game. And while there were a few bad defensive gaffs, at least 2 goals in the last few games he played were just not acceptable.

I am hardly calling for the trading of Price, but imo, if he was average to above average, we either win or lose it in 7.

In any case, stating the obvious about Price's play is hardly jumping off the bandwagon.

The mistake, imho, was Gainey's to put this much pressure on him. It was a gamble and it didn't help Price, it might have hurt. I also don't blame Carbo, he was put in this position.

I have to wonder how much of the bad play by the team was due to them losing confidence.

In any case, I am back to watching and hoping the Gainey can pull of some good moves in the summer. I will watch Dallas, Detroit, and the Pens go for the cup.

I've lost interest in the thread brobin and the board frankly...keep up the good work.

I will watch Dallas, Detroit, and the Pens go for the cup.

One of those three will most likely win it, but I can't help hoping that San Jose somehow does it so J.R. can get a cup. His play this offseason has been inspirational. Can't remember seeing a guy his age launch his body around like a missile in recent years...and he's getting it done on the scoresheet too when his team needs it most.

Edited by sbhatt

I don't think you should get your hopes up - all signs point toward us having a quiet offseason. I could see us trading up in the draft, but no major free agent signings.

First and foremost:

---YOUNGEST team in playoffs,

---FIRST in conference in EAST

---TOP offensive team

---VALUABLE experience gained for all concerned ( although would have been better to reach another series)

SECOND, the playoffs:

---LAST 8 GAMES: 2 WINS 6 LOSSES: Not good enough

---TOO many giveaways, and goals allowed at crucial times, ( whether it be goaltending, or giveaways, or not gritty enough)

---BOSTON series foreshadowed this series!!!

- PP at crucial points didnt deliver!!! 5 ON 3 EARLY in GAME 3, GAME 4 , and again today when tied with 7 minutes left, barely a shot, and breakaway given up

---TEAM EXPOSED, as we know, small centres, against CARTER, RICHARDS ( late PHILLY picks recently)

---DEFENSE: really is BRISBOIS, BOUILLON, good enough?

--- SMOLINSKI

above 3 players can be replaced..

---EXAMPLE: UMBERGER steps up, where was our secondary scoring: HIGGINS, KOST, KOvalev in this series, UMBERGER SCORED MORE THAN ALL OF THEM COMBINED!!

---BIRON MADE BIG SAVES, PRICE didnt make routine saves

---PP!!!! where was the PP????????????????

Hey now we know the big picture and why the team is drafting certain areas: DEFENSE, BIG FAST FWD: 2007 draft:

--MCDONAUGH, and PACIORETTY

Gainey knows , and a UFA to bring over top.....

HABS HAD A GREAT YEAR, and FANS SHOWED THEIR CLASS TONIGHT IN CHEERING IN END< and backing up PRICE:

CONGRATS FOR THAT!!!

All not lost, unlucky series, PHILLY WON THE LITTLE BATTLES, and hung on, and played with drive...

See KOVALEV AT END try to do it all on his own, give him credit, shows his heart, you can see time is running out on KOIVU and KOVALEV,

2009:

---UFA, BIG NAME who is out there haent checked lately ( HOSSA, SUNDIN....)

--- who of the this group steps up to next level?

---Who is ready to replace SMOLINSKI, BRISEBOIS??? ( Chipchura, Pacioretty, Mcdonaugh, O'byrne...)??

---Continued progress for PRICE and HALAK....

Been FUN, here is to a GREAT regular season, UP and down PLAYOFF ( gosh darn, soo disheartening, after all that, feels like with left a little empty hey...)

HERE IS TO A GREAT 2009!

---BOSTON series foreshadowed this series!!!

Hmm... maybe someone should write a short story representing our playoff run. :lol: If I can ever find time and inspiration for it, I'll try.

What is MTL's cap status next year?

Well, we should not feel bad after this defeat. The Habs had an excellent season. Way better than anyone had expected. Let's not forget that.

Our young goalies were not good enough for the play-offs, that's true, but their potential is still very high.

I wish the Flyers the best of luck, because they will need it. Let's face it, they have been incredibly lucky in the last serie, but they'll need more than luck against the Penguins. Fleury is hot, as well as Crosby, Malkin and everybody else on Mario's team.

I see the Pens against the Wings in the Finale. I'd be glad if the Pens won the Stanley Cup.

As for the Habs, they will only get better as years go by. Gainey should be able to sign one or two free agents in the summer. There are a few young players in the minors (D'Agostini, Emelin, Paccioretti) getting ready for the majors. The future looks bright!

JCPetit

What is MTL's cap status next year?

Including any player that suited up for MTL this year (and is still with the team), we're at 36.043, with Ryder, Smoke, Breezer and Streit UFA, and A. Kostitsyn, Grabs, Laps, Locke, Gorges, OB and Halak as RFAs.

Don't blame Gainey for trading Huet.

We would not have gone far with Huet either. He is a good guy, but doesn't have the stuff to carry a team all the way.

Price did not show it this time, but I believe that he, some day, he will carry the Stanley Cup on the ice with a Canadien sweater on his back.

JMHO

He better do a damn fine job, given how it's obvious that he screwed up on the Huet deal. That second round pick better turn into something significant, given that it most likely cost us a trip to the third round this year.

It cost us a trip to the third round? Did you ever see Huet play against Philly? That soft goal from the blue line he let in?

Get a clue.

Don't blame Gainey for trading Huet.

We would not have gone far with Huet either. He is a good guy, but doesn't have the stuff to carry a team all the way.

Price did not show it this time, but I believe that he, some day, he will carry the Stanley Cup on the ice with a Canadien sweater on his back.

JMHO

As Tony Marinaro said on Team 990, what the hell has Huet done? How many games has he truly played lights out?

Oh well... I guess when people have an agenda.