Selanne

TruthMonger

I've read a few mentions of Montreal being a logical spot for Selanne to end up.

He and Saku are good friends from their common background and time on the Finnish National team. He would come relatively cheap (approx. $3 million + incentives) after a poor season in Denver. He fits nicely into our RW 1st line gap.

Downsides: Was last season an off-year or the start of his decline? How much would he struggle in our defensive system?

I'd still be happy to get him...

I think it depends on Kovalev. If we Can't sign Kovalev, then, we would probably look for a guy like Selanne who can have chemistry with Koivu. We would also probably sign a second good player, for whatever the difference is in $$$ that we saved on not signing Kovalev. Either that or he will sign a big name like Demitra (or however you sign it).

Last season was definitely an off-year for Teemu. To help prove that point, even Colorado management decided that their coach staff insufficient. Plus if you look back at his ywo full seasons in SJ, who of equal talent did he have to play with???? Selanne is the type of player that will elevate his game to the talent of those he plays with, not elevate others to hisl!!!

I too think Teemu & Saku would be a great combo.

Hmmm... Rather Kovalev than Selänne.

The off-year he had in Denvar was really poor. He played in a team with Hejduk, Forsberg, Karyia and Sakic and didn't put up with bigger numbers.

If we can sign Selänne around 3,5 million than it may be worth it.

Originally posted by Uwey

Last season was definitely an off-year for Teemu. To help prove that point, even Colorado management decided that their coach staff insufficient. Plus if you look back at his ywo full seasons in SJ, who of equal talent did he have to play with???? Selanne is the type of player that will elevate his game to the talent of those he plays with, not elevate others to hisl!!!

I too think Teemu & Saku would be a great combo.

He was on the third line too, so that off year we could probably cast off. He isn't as fast as he used to be, but he still has a hard and accurate shot. He isn't as good a sniper as Kovy, but he certainly gets the job done.

TRUTHMONGER is wright, Selane would be a logical choice for the CH in the case of Kovalev not signing here.

He would fit the budget and within that budget, he is likelly the best prospect availlable.

Althought he does not get any younger and could have had in the past difficulte time adapting in a defensive system, the potentiel of something special with Koivu is there and this might just be enought to give Bob the incentive to go ahead in signing him, specially if Selane would accept a one year contract with a one year option for the team.

Demitra is an illogical proposition since, if the CH can afford Demitra, they can afford Kovalev, and if they can afford Kovalev, than the case is closed.

Originally posted by PB

Demitra is an illogical proposition since, if the CH can afford Demitra, they can afford Kovalev, and if they can afford Kovalev, than the case is closed.

:/) exactly my thought

on the other hand, if kovalev doesn't sign with the habs selanne would be a good fit (but i'd prefer kariya :P because he was my favorite player as a kid) if he plays for cheap

either way it's an improvement for the team (on paper it is)

I'd like Selanne here. Maybe if no one signs them Koivu will go running up to BG after the World Cup and tell them to sign him.

But as was mentioned, I don't think the fans here have been more sold on any UFA than we have on Kovalev.