what do we need for next year ?

MAK

Ecurb, where have you heard that Koivu and Kovalev are bad in the lockerroom?

It was more of a joke than anything else. I had heard Koivu was a distraction

because he was jealous of Ribeiro. Kovalev is a distraction because he was

upset that Koivu got the C back when he returned.

It mostly the bloodly media that starts all this BS. Alot of minor stuff just gets

blown out of proportion so those parasites can sell papers or make a name for

themselves by scooping others.

Ah I see.

After the season, when Carbo was asked if the dresing room wasn't big enough for both Koivu and Kovalev he answered that he'd better go ask Gillette for more money to buy the Habs a bigger dressing room.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Kolzig to back up Price next year. He'd be the perfect mentor, even if Roland Melanson gets a bit jealous.

Definitely do not want to see Kolzig in a Habs uniform next year. He was terrible last year, hence one of the main reasons they went out and got Huet. He'll be like an Abby, maybe not in style but in results.

I want Kolzig to back up Price next year. He'd be the perfect mentor, even if Roland Melanson gets a bit jealous.

I think that this would be a perfect situation for Price, as Kolzig is part owner of the Tri-Americans (Prices junior team). And They already have a foundation for a mentoring relationship. I read an article once about how Kolzig was giving coaching advice to Carey, and about how he thought Carey was going to be a great goalie.

If I remember correctly his advice was something like "never let your opponent see that you are frustrated, be calm and cool at least on the outside" or something to that effect.

I say we should trade some combination of Halak, Striet, Dandenault, Begin, Gabrovski for some help up front, in the Jeff Carter mold (Fast, big, Can score, young, basically I want Jeff Carter on the Habs), then try to sign Kolzig.

Just my opinion

Kolzig just officially said goodbye to the Caps (as I thought he would, when I read he didn't show up for their mandatory end-of-season meeting). He wants to play somewhere.

Davehab, I don't think Flyers would trade us Carter for ALL of the players you mentioned. Streit is UFA, Dandy contract untrade-able, Begin a tough sell with his injuries, Grabovski and Halak no value. Isn't Carter an RFA? We could just make him an offer. Some think they might have trouble signing him with the Briere and Richards contracts in place, though I don't know anything about their salary / cap situation.

Do they do sign-and-trades in the NHL? Or does the CBA prevent them?

Edited by tokyohabs

Kolzig just officially said goodbye to the Caps (as I thought he would, when I read he didn't show up for their mandatory end-of-season meeting). He wants to play somewhere.

Davehab, I don't think Flyers would trade us Carter for ALL of the players you mentioned. Streit is UFA, Dandy contract untrade-able, Begin a tough sell with his injuries, Grabovski and Halak no value. Isn't Carter an RFA? We could just make him an offer. Some think they might have trouble signing him with the Briere and Richards contracts in place, though I don't know anything about their salary / cap situation.

Do they do sign-and-trades in the NHL? Or does the CBA prevent them?

I didn't mean Carter for all of those players, but perhaps some combination of them, perhaps even a lapierre would be a useful barganing chip. I also thought about signing him to an offer sheet, but I really don't think that its Gaineys style or that I would want to give away the picks nessecary to get a Carter. I would rather trade some of our expendible assets than potential star players (picks).

And yeah I think it is still possible to do a sign and trade, although I also don't see Gainey doing this. I do however see him making a deal on draft day that would send Striet and another asset plus a pick (Washintons second rounder anyone?) for that forward that he (and everybody else) wants so badly.

then again he might just do nothing ......sigh

With carter our lineup could look something like this

A. Kost Plec Kovy

Higgins Koivu S. Kost

Lats Carter Chips

Kostop Begin Dandy

the potential for different line combinations would be great....imagine if you could add a Brian Rolston to that lineup, or a grinder like Umberger, or Eric Cole....of if you really want to go over the top Jordin Stall....ah day dreams, but most of them possible if not plausible.

lets just say that I am really looking forward to the offseason

If Gainey wanted Kolzig, he would have asked him in return for Huet. I thought he'd do that when I heard Huet was going to DC. I don't know if having Kolzig around would have help Price down the stretch.

I would like to see Joseph Boumedienne, he is a good offensive D-man and an excellent skater.

He almost (it was really close) made the Capitals' blue line last season, but the coach decided to go with Poti and Morrisson

I think that this would be a perfect situation for Price, as Kolzig is part owner of the Tri-Americans (Prices junior team). And They already have a foundation for a mentoring relationship. I read an article once about how Kolzig was giving coaching advice to Carey, and about how he thought Carey was going to be a great goalie.

If I remember correctly his advice was something like "never let your opponent see that you are frustrated, be calm and cool at least on the outside" or something to that effect.

I say we should trade some combination of Halak, Striet, Dandenault, Begin, Gabrovski for some help up front, in the Jeff Carter mold (Fast, big, Can score, young, basically I want Jeff Carter on the Habs), then try to sign Kolzig.

Just my opinion

I completely agree. That's the connection that would be magic for the Habs.

Gainey wouldn't have asked for Kolzig back because he didn't bank on Price being wiped out (I had no idea he'd been playing 15 straight months), but now that Kolzig know he's near his ending of his career, his mentoring would be perfect.

Bringing in Kolzig is not a good idea...it would undermine Melanson's ability to effectively coach and Price could get screwed up trying to listen to two different "coaches". It would not be a good situation.

Bringing in Kolzig is not a good idea...it would undermine Melanson's ability to effectively coach and Price could get screwed up trying to listen to two different "coaches". It would not be a good situation.

It is the purpose of the Kolzig idea, throw Melanson out.

For technical he hasn't done miracle. Huet played his way long before coming to Montreal, when he

tried to change his basics, Huet was lost. We just saw in the run for the playoffs the Huet that everybody

was crazy about when he threw Théo out of Montreal. Melanson screwed up Théo just before that.

The Aebisher experience wan't good either, the goalie went down the hill and Melanson did not succeed

to get him back on track.

Fors sakes Price was washed up in the playoffs and he did not realized it. Carbo was surprise to hear it,

somebody did not do his job.

The risk is too high for our franchise goalie.

It is strange, I don't know what to think about Melanson.

What shocked me was that Price seemed mentally utterly unprepared for game 5. Melanson is lauded in many corners, but we are going through a lot of goalies at a high rate. Maybe Kolzig is the answer? But is so, does this mean Halak is gone for sure?

Anyway, I have only seen speculation about this on this board, so maybe it is all moot anyways.

Funny how know one blames anyone but Price. The defensive zone was pathetic in the playoffs. The PP vanished. If it wasn't for Price they wouldn't have got out of the first round.

How about this, without koivu 3-2. With Koivu 2-5. Kind of dumb to blame one guy for losses when knowone stepped up.

Funny how know one blames anyone but Price. The defensive zone was pathetic in the playoffs. The PP vanished. If it wasn't for Price they wouldn't have got out of the first round.

How about this, without koivu 3-2. With Koivu 2-5. Kind of dumb to blame one guy for losses when knowone stepped up.

Surface level analysis. It is not shocking.

The whole thing that kills me is that the only way they were going to win the Cup was for Price to play like the reincarnate of Roy/Dryden.

The kid played so well that the expectation became that he could and it has now become a negative instead of a positive.

He was not very good in the second round. But neither were the scorers, the PP and the D. But somehow it is laid at the feet of a rookie.

As much as Price could have stood on his head and won the round, Higgins could have buried 1/3 of his chances and staked the Habs

to a 3-1 series lead. Or the PP could have showed up for more than one 5 minute PP and won an extra game.

A young team lost a series that was within their grasp. It will not be the first, or the last time that happens in NHL history.

I agree with what you're saaying but I don't think the Koivu stat means much. I think Koivu was our best player in these playoffs. Our teams record was 5-7 in the playoffs, I doubt we had any players with a winning record.

Blame Mealnson? Why do you think Price and Halak are even in the NHL at their age? Because of Melanson. Theodore didn't melt down because of Melanson, and Huet didn't fail to elevate his game to franchise level because of Melanson. Aebischer was impossible, and bad pro scouting on the Habs' fault for thinking he could push Huet.

I don't know how you guys think Price was unprepared for Game 5... he was fine until the middle of the 2nd.

There is nothing a goaltending coach (which is a job designed to help a person with technique primarily, much like a piano teacher) can do about mental fatigue.

Melanson helped mould 4 of 30 starting goaltenders in the NHL today. That's VERY impressive. Halak could very well make it 5.

That's why I don't know what to think. These goalies leave here because it seems they can't cut it; but go on to do just fine elsewhere. On the other hand, we have become a goalie factory, and some very good ones at that.

I have never blamed Price for our playoff failures, as my many other posts can attest.

Saskhab, the reason I said mentally unprepared was his meltdown after that second goal. Something was defo wrong in the worst way, whether it was mental exhaustion, preparation, i don't know. Maybe Carbo should have yanked him, called a timeout. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference. Perhaps 'mentally unprepared in the face of a fluke goal' might have been a better term. Anyway, I'll defer to you and Wamsley on the specifics of goaltending and goalie coaches.

The entire team folds like a tent when something bad happens. That has been happening for years. It was much better during the regular season this year but in the playoffs they did it again numerous times.

The questions for this team remain the same for me.

1. Leadership / Character

2. Physical play (playoffs now) they proved they can be a playoff team, take the next step)

3. D zone: Thye are too soft and small to play with the big boys

The entire team folds like a tent when something bad happens. That has been happening for years. It was much better during the regular season this year but in the playoffs they did it again numerous times.

The questions for this team remain the same for me.

1. Leadership / Character

2. Physical play (playoffs now) they proved they can be a playoff team, take the next step)

3. D zone: Thye are too soft and small to play with the big boys