what do we need for next year ?

MAK

There are things we need, no doubt, but I think there are things we need to keep that are more important. Komisarek, Plekanec and A. Kostitsyn need to get under contract. Enough of this two year crap, Komi is a UFA after next year, Pleks would be a RFA and would probably get an offer sheet. Those are the top priorities IMO.

We have to remember we have a very young team, outside of of Koivu and Kovalev, who really are not that old, we have no players of note that are old. Breisbois and Smolinski do not count as players of note. So I think if we made no changes, we would still be better next year.

On defense, I don't think we need much, we have a pretty good topo 4, Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, and Georges, O'Byrne and Boullion round out the top 6. Boullion DOES NOT need to go, he is a pretty good bang for your buck type of guy. Georges made huge strides this year, he is only 23 and going to get better. I am not crazy about O'Byrne but he is also young. I think we need one more guy on D to fill the 7th man spot, Carle and Valentanko will get their shots but they need ice time and would be better suited to play in the AHL than fill the 7th man. Briesbois would be fin for me.

On offense, I think a bigger name forward is needed. Rolston is for sure my first choice, Hossa second. Rolston could fill the void, if there is one left by Streit on the PP. Another great 4th line guy would be Cooke, I think we need a good pest, team him with Lapierre, Begin/Kostopolos and you have something. Not sure we need a centre that badly. I think Chipchura will be ready for third line duty, he is a prototypical third line centre. He is never going to score many points for us.

Streit - not good enough on D, not good enough on O, pretty sure we can replace him on the PP, see Sheldon Souray.

Smolinski - don't need him, would rather have a Matt Cooke who would probably be cheaper.

Dandaneaut - I don't think he fits anywhere, buy him out.

Emelin - first off he hasn't said he is coming over and secondly, he will need some seasoning in the AHL, so forget about him in the lineup next year.

Pacioretty - can't see him being ready next year but would like to think he could, his size would be welcomed.

Like I said, even if we do nothing we are better. I trust Bob will do whats right for our beloved Habs!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latendresse is expendable. He showed nothing in 2nd year to say he's a keeper, with no points and limited physical play( he disappeared in the Philly series).

Jeez. Some of you really aren't patient. The Kid is 20 years old. he's had two 16 goal seasons without getting any PP time and yet some of you still complain?!?!

Give him some quality minutes on one of the first two lines and give him a few minutes on the PP and He'll score 25 goals, maybe even 30 next year!

You complain that we don't have size, yet here we have a 6,2", 225pound kid who needs to be moulded to our liking. Be patient, he'll be a very good power forward in this league.

Jeez. Some of you really aren't patient. The Kid is 20 years old. he's had two 16 goal seasons without getting any PP time and yet some of you still complain?!?!

Give him some quality minutes on one of the first two lines and give him a few minutes on the PP and He'll score 25 goals, maybe even 30 next year!

You complain that we don't have size, yet here we have a 6,2", 225pound kid who needs to be moulded to our liking. Be patient, he'll be a very good power forward in this league.

Lats had 3 less even strenght points than Chris Higgins in 300 less even strenght minutes playing with Lapierre, Smolinski etc.

Higgins lived off the PP this season. If you gave Latendresse another 160 PP minutes playing with Kovalev, Markov, Plekanec

and Koivu would he have finished the season with 27 points?

People need to dig deeper when assessing his play. 16 goals from the 3rd line without an offensive centre is bloody impressive for 20 years old.

People need to dig deeper when assessing his play. 16 goals from the 3rd line without an offensive centre is bloody impressive for 20 years old.

Exatly! And as he matures, his physical play will improve as well. He will be more confident.

I don't know why so many people are so eager to give up on Latendresse. I'd give up on Higgins before I'd give up on Latendresse.

I'd be patient with both of them! :clap:;)

Agreed...but like many, I'm generally disappointed in Higgins. His lack of finish was a problem all year and into the playoffs. I don't know if I agree that he's a third liner, but 'middling second liner' seems about right to me.

The question is, can you learn finish? What I see with Higgins is a player who is always hurrying his shot, hurrying his play. Were he to allow himself an extra second, he'd get a lot more productive. Maybe the Habs should hire a Steve Shutt or Mike Bossy to sit down with him and analyze his game. And think back to that season where Gainey moved him off the 4th line and onto the 1st - he had 20 goals in half a season. Finish didn't seem to be an issue then.

So there's grounds for hope that he could still approach the 35-goal plateau with some consistency. But it doesn't look promising at this stage.

You can legitimately ask whether any of our vaunted young talent really is of 1st-line calibre. Higgins, Lats, the Kostytsins, Pleks..the jury's still out. (Which is one reason why Kovy's age worries me - it's not clear we have internal replacements). Not a reason to give up on any of 'em, just a source of concern.

So there's grounds for hope that he could still approach the 35-goal plateau with some consistency. But it doesn't look promising at this stage.

I think too many people expect too much from Higgins. I don'T expect him to score 35-40 goals. I see him more of a 25-30 goal player.

Edited by Habsfan

I think too many people expect too much from Higgins. I don'T expect him to score 35-40 goals. I see him more of a 25-30 goal player.

Well, that's what he is right now. So what you're saying is that he's maxed out his potential. This is exactly the point at issue...has he? Or does he have more to give? If not, then he's a pretty good, two-way 2nd liner, end of story.

The thing with Higgins is that he expects himself to be a 35-40 goal scorer. Someone needs to sit down with him and tell him what player he should strive to be. He's still believing what his mom told him as a kid: "You can be anything you put your mind to being".

We definitely need to be patient with him and nobody is disputing that 16 goals as a 19 and 20 year old, with limited linemates and PP time is pretty impressive. But I think those goal totals are a bit misleading since there isn't much more to his game at this point. He has playmaking ability yet he has had very few assists, he has good hands yet he manages to beat defenders one-on-one pretty rarely, he has size - and uses it - yet never really makes any bone-crushing hits. In other words, he still has the potential but hasn't showed many signs of living up to it yet.

So far, what he's proven is that he can be like Michael Ryder when he's older. What I want from him is to show us that he can not only score 30 goals and 30 assists, but also have a good +/- and use his size well.

His only play right now is dump-and-chase, which realy limits his immediate offensive ability. Also, when he does manage to generate chances, he usually waits too long to shoot, or he'll pass it to someone else (usually Lapierre) that's in a worse position to take the shot than he is.

I would be pretty happy with 20 goals, 20 assists, a +5 and 200 hits from him in the upcoming season. That would show some steady improvement for his all-round game.

Well, that's what he is right now. So what you're saying is that he's maxed out his potential. This is exactly the point at issue...has he? Or does he have more to give? If not, then he's a pretty good, two-way 2nd liner, end of story.

Even if Higgins is maxed out at 25-30 goals, two-way players generally get better as they get older and learn the game better. Defence is something that takes hockey-sense, anticipation and hard work. These are things you pick up as you play more games in the NHL so I think that even if Higgins has "peaked" he is still going to solidify himself into a role on this team and keep on improving.

We definitely need to be patient with him and nobody is disputing that 16 goals as a 19 and 20 year old, with limited linemates and PP time is pretty impressive. But I think those goal totals are a bit misleading since there isn't much more to his game at this point. He has playmaking ability yet he has had very few assists, he has good hands yet he manages to beat defenders one-on-one pretty rarely, he has size - and uses it - yet never really makes any bone-crushing hits. In other words, he still has the potential but hasn't showed many signs of living up to it yet.

So far, what he's proven is that he can be like Michael Ryder when he's older. What I want from him is to show us that he can not only score 30 goals and 30 assists, but also have a good +/- and use his size well.

His only play right now is dump-and-chase, which realy limits his immediate offensive ability. Also, when he does manage to generate chances, he usually waits too long to shoot, or he'll pass it to someone else (usually Lapierre) that's in a worse position to take the shot than he is.

I would be pretty happy with 20 goals, 20 assists, a +5 and 200 hits from him in the upcoming season. That would show some steady improvement for his all-round game.

Even if Higgins is maxed out at 25-30 goals, two-way players generally get better as they get older and learn the game better. Defence is something that takes hockey-sense, anticipation and hard work. These are things you pick up as you play more games in the NHL so I think that even if Higgins has "peaked" he is still going to solidify himself into a role on this team and keep on improving.

That is a harsh assesment of a 20 year old project pick. What was the expectation?

Were you expecting him to come in and be a playmaker, finisher and a monster physical presence in his first 2 years?

If you did, you were dreaming.

He has 32 goals playing essentially on the 3rd line as a 19-20 year old, he was 33rd amongst forwards in hits registered with 163 in 73 games.

He was always a project. Some players don't hit their full offensive stride until they hit 25-26 years old. Pleks, Higgins, A. Kostitsyn were in the AHL at 20.

Andrei looked like a bust at 22 to many on this board 15 months ago because he was barely a point per game player in the AHL.

Now Gui has shown no more than Ryder? What was Ryder doing at 20? Do you think Ryder showed more with the Talahasse Tiger Sharks and Quebec Citadelles?

Enough that you would be able to project back to back 30 goal seasons for him?

Let the kid develop. The expectations of the Habs youth on this board is unbelievable to me. Plekanec, Higgins etc would have been ripped to shreds if they started

with the Habs at 19.

That is a harsh assesment of a 20 year old project pick. What was the expectation?

Were you expecting him to come in and be a playmaker, finisher and a monster physical presence in his first 2 years?

If you did, you were dreaming.

He has 32 goals playing essentially on the 3rd line as a 19-20 year old, he was 33rd amongst forwards in hits registered with 163 in 73 games.

He was always a project. Some players don't hit their full offensive stride until they hit 25-26 years old. Pleks, Higgins, A. Kostitsyn were in the AHL at 20.

Andrei looked like a bust at 22 to many on this board 15 months ago because he was barely a point per game player in the AHL.

Now Gui has shown no more than Ryder? What was Ryder doing at 20? Do you think Ryder showed more with the Talahasse Tiger Sharks and Quebec Citadelles?

Enough that you would be able to project back to back 30 goal seasons for him?

Let the kid develop. The expectations of the Habs youth on this board is unbelievable to me. Plekanec, Higgins etc would have been ripped to shreds if they started

with the Habs at 19.

You cannot just throw out direct comparisons with other players and what they did at 20. No one said Ryder had as much potential at 20. When Ryder was 20, he was considered a 4th line grinder, but he improved his game, found a scoring touch and was a late bloomer (and now an early rotter too). Latendresse made the team at 19 so we have to assume that he was NHL ready at 19 and good enough to help out our team - at this point, he is way ahead of the curve. At 20, the expectations on him are the same as any other sophomore even if they are 23 or 24. The difference is that even if his improvement is more gradual, he still has more time. After his sophomore season, he is still way ahead of the curve. Yet the pack has gained on him and stagnation in a sophomore season (particularly from a 20 year old) is basically regression.

Has he really improved from his rookie season to his sophomore season? He was basically the same player. Yes, with limited icetime and yes, without offensive linemates - these were the same conditions he had in his rookie year. But a player's potential is based on his progress. We expected him to progress slowly but in the NHL he hasn't showed the potential he did in his first two training camps or before he was drafted.

Your statistics prove very little. If you watch the games and not only the boxscores, as I'm sure you do, you'll see that he is essentially a non-factor on the current team. In three to five years he will hopefully be a key player but right now, he is pretty useless. I still expect him to be a 30 goal scorer for us and a good econd line, or third liner for us. But he has the potential to do more than that. To be a first line player.

What we have the right to expect from him is gradual improvement. I personally didn't see any last season.

If you didn't know his age and only saw his performances in the past two seasons, there would be no reason to suggest he could ever be a 1st line player. Yet, because of his age, we are all optimistic that he can be one.

We need more than that. Because eventually he could be a 25 year old power forward still waiting to break and all of a sudden, he is behind the curve instead of ahead of it. So like I've said, my goal for him next season is 20 goals, 20 assists, a +5 rating - though that is a messed up stat so it wouldn't really bother me what he got - and 200 hits. Those are not unreasonable statistics, that is what a player of his calibre, with his potential should do in his third season.

I think what you are doing is placing too much trust in all the time he's got. A player who cracks the NHL at 23 will generally have three or four seasons of steady improvement before he's "peaked" and in his prime. A power forward may take 4 or 5. Suppose that means he that a power forward just like Gui would peak when he's 28 years old. That doesn't mean that a power forward breaking into the league at 19 will grow at the same rate until he is 28. The learning process will probably stop at 25 or so, he really doesn't have much more time than any other prospect. He is just wining the race as he's already in the NHL.

You make it sound like I hate him or expect way too much of him. I am still ready to wait atleast a couple more seasons with him. All I really want from him is a touch of improvement every year. I think this would be a realistic, yet optimistic look at his next few seasons.

e.g.

06-07 80 16 13 29 -20

07-08 73 16 11 27 -2 (163 hits)

08-09 80 20 20 40 5 (200-ish hits)

09-10 80 25 25 50 5 (200-ish hits)

10-11 80 30 30 60 10 " - this would essentially be the break out year where he emerges as an impact player

I believe he will do that, and that would satisfy me. I am just expressing my concerns over his lack of improvement this season. Any time a young roster player shows limited improvement over the course of the season, you have to feel a little bit nervous that maybe he won't pan out as we expected from him. I am simply voicing that slight concern because this is a message board and that is what we do here wheher I truly believe he will be a bust or not.

Edited by BTH

Assuming that Price can screw his head back on this summer, I wouldn't change a whole lot. We're a young team and have many players who are only going to get better. The list of guys we're going to lose is rather short. Ryder has already been replaced Sergei Kostitsyn. Bryan Smolinski can be replaced by Kyle Chipchura. Brisebois may be brought back as a depth guy, but his spot in the regular lineup will be filled by Ryan O'Byrne. Mark Streit will probably want more money than we'll be willing to give, and he's probably the biggest loss. After his playoff performance, however, that doesn't seem like a huge loss. I think playing a lower line forward on the powerplay and putting Kovalev on the point would account for any loss Streit's departure would have on the powerplay.

So overall, I think they may look for one top forward, allowing them to roll three scoring lines consistently. A guy like Brian Rolston would top my list, but I don't expect him to see the open market. Deep down, I'd love to see Mats Sundin sign with Montreal after the way Leafs fans crapped on his loyalty. How awesome would it be for Sundin to win his first Cup here in Montreal? Talk about rubbing salt in a wound. I could foresee upgrading the D to replace Bouillon, but I don't think that would change much. Anything they'd gain in size or talent, I think they'd lose in heart.

If the Rangers do not re-sign Jagr that is the player we should go

after. He only wants to play for 2 more years, so it wouldn't be a

longterm commitment for us. At his age, part of his salary could be

bonus's. He's coming off a bad season, but during the latter part of

the regular season and in the playoffs he showed he can still be a

dominate player.

I don't feel Jagr is anywhere near finished, he just needs a C whose

game doesn't rely on speed as Gomez's and Drury's did. He needs a

C like Nylander who slows down the play and relies on puck control.

I feel Koivu plays that type of game and he and Jagr would compliment

each other. Play him with Higgins and Koivu and I think we'd have 2

top lines.

I also feel we could use a huge C to anchor our 3rd line. I'd like to

see us add Holik because of his faceoff ability and the fact he's a mean

SOB. Once again because of his age, part of his salary could be bonus's.

Lapierre should be moved to RW and developed there.

The great thing about adding those 2 forwards is that it buys us time

to develope some of our young forwards and there is no longterm

commitment to them. They also add much needed size and playoff

experience.

I thought about Hossa, but I don't want to commit that much money

or years to one player.

Jagr complains too much, he tells the coaches who to play him with, no thanks. BG has finally cleared the locker room of most of the distractions, i doubt after 1 good year he will mess that up. He will offer a good contract to a top UFA but he'll be a late 20's player.

The habs aren't 1 player away from the cup.

Kovalev, Koivu, Bouilon, Dandy all have contracts coming up. I would guess it's there last contract as habs players. Signing a Hossa type player to 4-6 wouldn't be a bad idea.

You cannot just throw out direct comparisons with other players and what they did at 20. No one said Ryder had as much potential at 20. When Ryder was 20, he was considered a 4th line grinder, but he improved his game, found a scoring touch and was a late bloomer (and now an early rotter too). Latendresse made the team at 19 so we have to assume that he was NHL ready at 19 and good enough to help out our team - at this point, he is way ahead of the curve. At 20, the expectations on him are the same as any other sophomore even if they are 23 or 24. The difference is that even if his improvement is more gradual, he still has more time. After his sophomore season, he is still way ahead of the curve. Yet the pack has gained on him and stagnation in a sophomore season (particularly from a 20 year old) is basically regression.

Has he really improved from his rookie season to his sophomore season? He was basically the same player. Yes, with limited icetime and yes, without offensive linemates - these were the same conditions he had in his rookie year. But a player's potential is based on his progress. We expected him to progress slowly but in the NHL he hasn't showed the potential he did in his first two training camps or before he was drafted.

Your statistics prove very little. If you watch the games and not only the boxscores, as I'm sure you do, you'll see that he is essentially a non-factor on the current team. In three to five years he will hopefully be a key player but right now, he is pretty useless. I still expect him to be a 30 goal scorer for us and a good econd line, or third liner for us. But he has the potential to do more than that. To be a first line player.

What we have the right to expect from him is gradual improvement. I personally didn't see any last season.

If you didn't know his age and only saw his performances in the past two seasons, there would be no reason to suggest he could ever be a 1st line player. Yet, because of his age, we are all optimistic that he can be one.

We need more than that. Because eventually he could be a 25 year old power forward still waiting to break and all of a sudden, he is behind the curve instead of ahead of it. So like I've said, my goal for him next season is 20 goals, 20 assists, a +5 rating - though that is a messed up stat so it wouldn't really bother me what he got - and 200 hits. Those are not unreasonable statistics, that is what a player of his calibre, with his potential should do in his third season.

I think what you are doing is placing too much trust in all the time he's got. A player who cracks the NHL at 23 will generally have three or four seasons of steady improvement before he's "peaked" and in his prime. A power forward may take 4 or 5. Suppose that means he that a power forward just like Gui would peak when he's 28 years old. That doesn't mean that a power forward breaking into the league at 19 will grow at the same rate until he is 28. The learning process will probably stop at 25 or so, he really doesn't have much more time than any other prospect. He is just wining the race as he's already in the NHL.

You make it sound like I hate him or expect way too much of him. I am still ready to wait atleast a couple more seasons with him. All I really want from him is a touch of improvement every year. I think this would be a realistic, yet optimistic look at his next few seasons.

e.g.

06-07 80 16 13 29 -20

07-08 73 16 11 27 -2 (163 hits)

08-09 80 20 20 40 5 (200-ish hits)

09-10 80 25 25 50 5 (200-ish hits)

10-11 80 30 30 60 10 " - this would essentially be the break out year where he emerges as an impact player

I believe he will do that, and that would satisfy me. I am just expressing my concerns over his lack of improvement this season. Any time a young roster player shows limited improvement over the course of the season, you have to feel a little bit nervous that maybe he won't pan out as we expected from him. I am simply voicing that slight concern because this is a message board and that is what we do here wheher I truly believe he will be a bust or not.

All I said was your assesment was harsh in that he is heading towards a career like Michael Ryder.

Latendresse did improve this year. You are scratching the surface and seeing 27 points, 29 points. 16 goals, 16 goals.

In his rookie year he scored 7 of his 16 goals when he was promoted to the top line with Koivu during Higgins injury (12 points in 19 games), he was -20 and he played over 100 less minutes.

He also had his PP time cut by 1/3 and his PP production went from 10 pts to 4 pts. This season he essentially matched his totals, was a -2 and played essentially all season on the lower 2 lines.

So I did see progress, and I have seen flashes of a top end power forward in the last 2 years, but my expectations of him are obviously nowhere near your level.

Not all players improve in a steady upward curve. Wether it be statistical, defensively, maturity etc. Ovechkin regressed statistically and defensively in his second season

and then expolodes in his 3rd season to become arguably the best player in the league, Lecavalier yo-yoed for 4 years before he established a PPG pace and he WAS

getting first line minutes the whole time.

I am not comparing Latendresse to those players. But those players could not be judged on future potential after 2 years. When Lecavalier dropped 34 points in his 4th year

should he have been considered a bust because he had steadily regressed from his second year high of 67 points? There are a ton of examples of Stars who struggled

for years before making the leap to superstar. It is the reason that you have trades like Bertuzzi for Linden or Neely for Pederson. GMs became frustrated, impatient and

in their minds limit a player's future potential.

To write a PROJECT pick off as a player with limited potential like Michael Ryder after 2 seasons? Sorry I don't see the logic

And the Ryder comparison is apt because if you saw Ryder in his first 2 seasons of pro hockey you would have written him off as a 4th line grinder who could never play on a top 2 line.

You can place lofty expectations on anybody you want. That is your prerogative. But I have seen to many players struggle for 3-4 years and then become elite

players to write off or limit a 20 year old 's potential who sees 3rd line ice time and is learning the NHL game on the fly.

When Latendresse is given an opportunity on a scoring line for more than 10 games at a time and ulitmately fails then I may decide to limit his potential.

But until I see him fail in ideal circumstances I will continue to defend him and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Wamsley01

Like Wamsley already mentionned, he went from a -20 in his rookie season to a -2 last year. That is a relatively big improvement!

Give him some decent icetime(more than 12 minutes per game) and give him some opportunities on the PP, nad his stats will improve!

I think ew can all agree that we do have some high hopes for Gui (Some have higher hopes), but we can all agree that once this kid matures and loses some of his baby fat, he'll be the Power Forward we have been looking for these past fw years.

We just need to be patient with him!

I saw definite improvement in Gui in the second half of the year. And this was after a poor start to the year that had me thinking he should go to Hamilton.

His positioning, his cycling game, and his skating all improved significantly. I'd like to see him on a scoring line next season and Higgins getting into a more supporting/checking role.

Now, I still believe Lats should have been in junior 2 years ago and in the AHL this past season. Having said that, I think you have to consider that with teams watching video and breaking down opponents you have to believe that other players/coaches were making adjustments to control his game. Opposing players were more familiar with his game, moves, how to beat him, etc...why do you think we so often see the "sophmore jinx"?

I also don't agree that you'll see this gradual steady improvement. Things rarely work in so linear a fashion. It's more likely that he'll improve in leaps and bounds and also hit plateau's over periods, or even seasons. I would expect some improvement next year as he makes adjustments and works on facets of his game, then he'll probably a plateau as teams adjust again to him...then one day, things will start to click all around, he'll have more then a few moves, hopefully the skating and speed improve, he learns to play at a faster pace, etc. Once he starts to get those things individually AND learns to put it all together he'll show marked improvement. Of course, with prospects and development curves EVERY player is different so you never really know. For all we know his work ethic falls apart and he plateau's at what he is today...

As for Higgins...his value is tremendous. He can do a lot of things well and he's a leader. There are not many 25-30 goal guys that can play wing or C, can play PK, PP and have the potential to where the C. He reminds me of the kind of player that people will grow to under-rate.

As for Higgins...his value is tremendous. He can do a lot of things well and he's a leader. There are not many 25-30 goal guys that can play wing or C, can play PK, PP and have the potential to where the C. He reminds me of the kind of player that people will grow to under-rate.

I agree about Higgins. I had high hopes for him as a scorer, but he does not seem to have that natural finishing ability.

I think he has yet to find his niche. He seems to be trying to fit a mold instead of just letting the game come to him.

As for his future scoring potential. I would not say he cannot pot 40, because if Blake can do it in his mid 30s, then

Higgins might have a couple of those years where he buries his opportunities. But 30 goals per would make me happy.

Edited by Wamsley01

Jagr complains too much, he tells the coaches who to play him with, no thanks. BG has finally cleared the locker room of most of the distractions, i doubt after 1 good year he will mess that up. He will offer a good contract to a top UFA but he'll be a late 20's player.

The habs aren't 1 player away from the cup.

Kovalev, Koivu, Bouilon, Dandy all have contracts coming up. I would guess it's there last contract as habs players. Signing a Hossa type player to 4-6 wouldn't be a bad idea.

I don't know if Jagr is a problem in the locker room. But, apparently both

Koivu and Kovalev are, I know because I read it somewhere. Maybe there

wouldn't be enough space for all of them in the locker room. But, if Jagr

were to come here and put up a 90 point season I think we can live with

his complaining.

No, the Habs aren't one player away from a cup, but we're getting alot

closer. Our youth still needs to gain experience and mature but the core

of a future cup winner is nearly in place.

Know what, I have nothing against signing Hossa except it would just cost

to much. He's an excellent fit for us and we have no RW depth in the minors.

He's in his prime, got size, is a sniper, can setup plays. The thing is for us to

sign him I think we're going to have to give him close to 9M per over 6 years.

Other teams will be offering near 8M for him, whats to entice him to sign with

us unless we offer more. We know he wants to play for a contender and

wants to be paid handsomely. He'll have many suitors, but only a handful

of teams are a fit for him. We happen to be one, so are the Rangers if they

decide not to re-sign Jagr. Who do you think will get him if the Rangers go

after him. So, for me Jagr is a fine second option.

After next season Koivu's,Kovalev's,Begin's,Kostopoulos's,Bouillon's and

Dandenault's contracts are up. I see Dandenault being bought out before

this coming season starts, theres NO way we can trade that contract. Both

Koivu and Kovalev will be retained if they continue to produce. The others

will be replaced by the depth in our farm system. But, we'll have Plekanec,

Higgins,Latendresse,Chipchura and Komisarek as RFA's that will need to be

re-signed and to longterm contracts for most. Thats going to cost alot and

having a player like Hossa on a longterm deal taking up a sixth of your cap

space just ties our hands .

To write a PROJECT pick off as a player with limited potential like Michael Ryder after 2 seasons? Sorry I don't see the logic

And the Ryder comparison is apt because if you saw Ryder in his first 2 seasons of pro hockey you would have written him off as a 4th line grinder who could never play on a top 2 line.

Here you are misunderstanding me. His play alone suggests that he can should be something like Michael Ryder but since he's younger than most people in his position, and because we've already seen him play better at other levels, we know that he has higher potential.

As for the +.- difference, it means very little if anything at all. The entire team's +/-s drastically changed because their 5-on-5 play improved. I think that -20 last year - on a team that had Kovalev, Souray, Ryder, Koivu and probably more well into the -20s, is about equal to a -2 this year on a team where the average rating was about even. It is proportionate to the improvement of the team.

Ecurb, where have you heard that Koivu and Kovalev are bad in the lockerroom?

Ecurb, where have you heard that Koivu and Kovalev are bad in the lockerroom?

It was more of a joke than anything else. I had heard Koivu was a distraction

because he was jealous of Ribeiro. Kovalev is a distraction because he was

upset that Koivu got the C back when he returned.

It mostly the bloodly media that starts all this BS. Alot of minor stuff just gets

blown out of proportion so those parasites can sell papers or make a name for

themselves by scooping others.

All in all, a great season for the Habs. I've had almost a week to absorb the stinging loss the the Flyers. Definitely wasn't expecting to lose to them. Thought a battle with the Pens could go either way. Anyways, some of my thoughts on the season.

What the Habs need for next season, in my opinion:

Goal:

Price will be back as the #1.

Would like to see Halak resigned as the backup to play between 20-30 games. As for a veteran backup, it will depend if Halak will be happy with the above stated workload.

Thus goaltending should be set for years with maybe tinkering for a backup. No to Kolzig, as his play really started to deteriorate last season.

Defense:

Markov and Komi are a solid #1 pairing. With the exception of the playoffs, Markov had an outstanding year living up to his contract. Komi will get better and better.

Hammy was a great addition and made me pretty much forget about Souray who I thought may be missed. Loved his physical play and calmness behind the blueling.

From there the D gets a little dicey. Next best d-man is Gorges, who grew leaps and bounds this year. From being a scratch early in the season to playing close to 20 minutes at the end. With new confidence, he joined the rush more and adds some good mobility. Had a little struggle in the playoffs with some of the bigger bodies, but i think he would prosper with a bigger, better d-partner.

Looks like O'byrne is gonna be in the top 6, we'll see how he can grow next year. Good size and just needs to start reading the play better. If he can grow into a lesser Komi in the next few years, the Habs will be in good shape. Got some great playoff experience, even if limited.

Bouillon had a decent year for his standards, but for the Habs to get better i believe he has to go. Love his heart, but there is better out there or with one of the younsters. The Cube is a fan favourite, but gets bumped off the puck and is constantly out of position is his own end. It will be better for Gorges and the Habs if they find him a better partner. I don't mind if Bouillon if kept as the 7th or 8th d-man until his contact is over next year, but no wanna see him in the lineup much.

Breezer was OK but not much need for him to be back, let a younster have a chance.

Streit, OK for the PP, but not gonna crack the Habs top 6.

Forwards:

Need a top six power forward or frontline scorer if possible. A right winger to play with Koivu would be great.

Kovy- great year, need him back. Creates much space for his linemates and on the PP.

Pleks - solid year will get better

A.Kostitsyn - can turn into a top notch sniper, expect much greater things from him, lethal shot.

Koivu - great playoff, decent season, find him a right winger.

Higggins - decent year, could have easily had 40 goals if he had better finish, a place for him somewhere on the Habs as 2nd or 3rd line winger. Expectations maybe too high for him.

S. Kostitsyn - what a surprise, love his grit and spunk. also sees the ice very well, gonna turn into a top 6 forward who is more of a set up man, unlike his brother who has better finish. if Streit is not back could man the point on the PP.

Laps - can play on the 4th line as a checker and PK, adds some fire and grit, any scoring is a bonus.

Lats - let him develop, can be frustrating to watch, but is only 20, let him grow on the 3rd line.

Begin and Kostopolo - OK 4th line grinders who PK and bring some energy. Won't add much scoring but know their role, will be replace soon by some youngsters, but probably be back next year and that's it.

Smokes- bye bye, please BG do not resign him for any amount.

Dandy - expect to be bought out if possible or traded, just no room for him, brings little to the table.

Ryder- do not expect him to be back, unless BG strikes out on getting a top forward, then maybe resigns to play on the 3rd line with some spot PP duty, rather see somebody better,

Streit - tough one for BG as he had a great year, helped replace Souray, but struggled on D, if the price is right i would expect him to be back (maybe 3 years at 6 million , although i doubt that would do it), with S.Kostits ready to man the PP point, BG has some choices.

Grabs - maybe get one more chance to see what he can do on a 3rd scoring line.

Chips - should get a shot up with the big club again.

Price

Halak

Markov/Komisarek

Hamrlik/Obyrne

Gorges/younster or new signing

Bouillon or youngster

A.Kostitsyn/Plekanec/Kovalev

Higgins/Koivu/ signing

Lats/signing/S.Kostits could switch up Higgy and S.Kostits or Lats

Begin/Laps/Kostopolous

Chips/Grabs/Streit

Can't wait for next year and to see what BG does this summer. Probably be just a little tinkering.