According to TSN report, KOVALEV told by Russian team , too slow to join?

HabsWEST

2 years in a row, Kovalev rejected by team Russia for the World Championships?? after this years performance, this is surprising..look at their roster ( by the way Perezhogin not on team or EMELIN or Valentenko...)

Good for Koivu, and the Kostitsyn brothers with Grabvosky, as well as Markov..

well something to cheer about..

How will Kovalev react, further motivation?? ( if report true), will be interesting for next year, but he is getting older..

Edited by HabsWEST

It's really too bad but there is a youth movement going on with Team Russia. That is the real reason why they don't want Kovalev.

Farcical. Oh well, I much prefer him not playing and getting his rest in now.

"Des dirigeants ont laissé entendre que je ne suis pas assez rapide. Je vais donc chercher à améliorer mon coup de patin durant l'été, a-t-il ironisé.

Even more reason to keep him.

How many Canadian players joined their team from the Habs? Right! Watch how great Saku leads his team in the worlds. You will see what I mean.

Let's see.....

Lidstrom Sweden,

Morrow Canada

Smith Canada

Crosby Canada

Are you seeing a pattern? Pick the team least likely to win the cup.

Enjoy winning the East, we will do that regularly with a team of Euros, maybe even a Presidents!!!!! Then sit back and watch them play in the worlds after taking a few weeks off. I told my wife that Pleks and the Boobs looked like they were practicing for the worlds when we played Boston. I would never put those two on the same line. They do better on seperate, when the have a brotherly competition.

You knew my spew was coming, there it is. GO CANADA!

I love the quote that tokyohabs posted in French. Kovalev told reporters that he's going to have to go home and work on his skating during the offseason. :lol:

How many Canadian players joined their team from the Habs? Right! Watch how great Saku leads his team in the worlds. You will see what I mean.

Let's see.....

Lidstrom Sweden,

Morrow Canada

Smith Canada

Crosby Canada

Enjoy winning the East, we will do that regularly with a team of Euros, maybe even a Presidents!!!!! Then sit back and watch them play in the worlds after taking a few weeks off. I told my wife that Pleks and the Boobs looked like they were practicing for the worlds when we played Boston. I would never put those two on the same line. They do better on seperate, when the have a brotherly competition.

Detroit is actually the team most likely to win the Cup (and has been all season) so there goes your theory. The Euros we have are motivated, physical Euros and they have led us all year. They aren't Marcel Hossa or Jozef Balejs.

Sergei Kostitsyn is the biggest headhunter on our team. He's really he only one with the balls to try open ice hits.

Kovalev has always taken care of his own business - most obvious example is Tucker.

Koivu plays bigger than he is, he and Kovalev are our two biggest leaders and were our two best players in the playoffs.

Emelin and Valentenko are two Russian D prospects we have coming that are close to the NHL - both of them are supposed to be ferocious.

Hamrlik is a physical, stay-at-home defenceman. He also brought leadership to the team and we saw how poorly we played when he was injured.

Plekanec didn't play his best, but he finished the playoffs with 9 points in 12 games, about the same pace he hit in the regular season. He is a coacheable, hard-working two-way player. I wouldn't call him soft, lazy or heartless.

Andrei Kostitsyn plays with fire, just like his brother does. He isn't scared to hit (but he's sometimes scared to take a hit) and after Kovalev, he's our most likely guy to create a goal out of nothing.

Markov, Streit... I'll admit it, these guys didn't play well at all in the playoffs and that was a huge reason why we lossed. Both of them have suspected injuries (Streit is skipping the Worlds to nurse his back) but we can't use that as an excuse.

But the Europeans are here to stay, they represent almost our entire core. Most of our leaders are Europeans and our team would be nothing without them.

Though North American captains have had much more success in the playoffs (100% of the success to be exact) than Euros, all this talk is borderline racist. Some of our grittiest players are Euros. And don't forget Thomas Holmstrom, Jarkko Ruutu, Alex Ovechkin, Johan Franzen, Darius Kasparaitis, Danny Markov and lots more.

I have nothing against bringing in more veteran NA players (I want Shanahan) but I don't think anyone should be making comments like "the Habs need to dump all their Euro trash if they ever want to win the Cup. We need some Canadian boys who play with heart!"

I love the quote that tokyohabs posted in French. Kovalev told reporters that he's going to have to go home and work on his skating during the offseason. :lol:

Detroit is actually the team most likely to win the Cup (and has been all season) so there goes your theory. The Euros we have are motivated, physical Euros and they have led us all year. They aren't Marcel Hossa or Jozef Balejs.

Sergei Kostitsyn is the biggest headhunter on our team. He's really he only one with the balls to try open ice hits.

Kovalev has always taken care of his own business - most obvious example is Tucker.

Koivu plays bigger than he is, he and Kovalev are our two biggest leaders and were our two best players in the playoffs.

Emelin and Valentenko are two Russian D prospects we have coming that are close to the NHL - both of them are supposed to be ferocious.

Hamrlik is a physical, stay-at-home defenceman. He also brought leadership to the team and we saw how poorly we played when he was injured.

Plekanec didn't play his best, but he finished the playoffs with 9 points in 12 games, about the same pace he hit in the regular season. He is a coacheable, hard-working two-way player. I wouldn't call him soft, lazy or heartless.

Andrei Kostitsyn plays with fire, just like his brother does. He isn't scared to hit (but he's sometimes scared to take a hit) and after Kovalev, he's our most likely guy to create a goal out of nothing.

Markov, Streit... I'll admit it, these guys didn't play well at all in the playoffs and that was a huge reason why we lossed. Both of them have suspected injuries (Streit is skipping the Worlds to nurse his back) but we can't use that as an excuse.

But the Europeans are here to stay, they represent almost our entire core. Most of our leaders are Europeans and our team would be nothing without them.

Though North American captains have had much more success in the playoffs (100% of the success to be exact) than Euros, all this talk is borderline racist. Some of our grittiest players are Euros. And don't forget Thomas Holmstrom, Jarkko Ruutu, Alex Ovechkin, Johan Franzen, Darius Kasparaitis, Danny Markov and lots more.

I have nothing against bringing in more veteran NA players (I want Shanahan) but I don't think anyone should be making comments like "the Habs need to dump all their Euro trash if they ever want to win the Cup. We need some Canadian boys who play with heart!"

I agree with every single word you said. A die hard winning edge always goes to the team that has the most competitive players not what country they come from. The statistical success rate of 100% for North American captains is a stat that can't be ignored. I hope that Saku and The Canadiens are the first team to change that stat and I also believe it is possible since North American captains have a huge jump start on Euro's. How long has the league been around? and when did we get our first Euro Captain in the Nhl? Mogilny? 93/94 season. It will happen and it will happen soon. Hopefully it will be Saks, and that will pave his way to the HALL of FAME no doubt. First Euro captain to win the Stanley Cup!!! I can't wait.

I agree with every single word you said. A die hard winning edge always goes to the team that has the most competitive players not what country they come from. The statistical success rate of 100% for North American captains is a stat that can't be ignored. I hope that Saku and The Canadiens are the first team to change that stat and I also believe it is possible since North American captains have a huge jump start on Euro's. How long has the league been around? and when did we get our first Euro Captain in the Nhl? Mogilny? 93/94 season. It will happen and it will happen soon. Hopefully it will be Saks, and that will pave his way to the HALL of FAME no doubt. First Euro captain to win the Stanley Cup!!! I can't wait.

The whole argument is silly. 10 years ago Canada could not win anything on the world stage and they held a summit to find out what is

wrong with the system. Everybody brings up that no Euro has captained a Stanley Cup winner and they never bring up the fact that

Canada is 2 for 5 in the last 5 major international competitions and that the Czechs, and Russians knocked us out of 2 of those competitions.

Now add to the fact that 9 of 30 teams have a Euro captain the percentages are still stacked 2 to 1 against one winning the Cup.

10 years ago 3 of 26 teams had a Euro captain (Jagr, Yashin, Sundin).

It is a Don Cherry staple and it may have been true when Kjehl Dahlin could play 20 minutes per game with 2 eggs in his back pocket 20 years ago,

but that reality no longer exists.

Let's see.....

Lidstrom Sweden, [Holstrom? Franzen? Zetterberg? Kronvall? They from Whitby?]

Morrow Canada

Smith Canada

Crosby Canada

You tell 'em Don!

Didn't ya know Wamsley, we lost in Nagano because Gretzky plays like a goddamn European! And last Olympics, because, because...holy sh*t, because they were IN Europe! Our boys couldn't rock 'em or sock 'em after seeing all those tight white jeans-wearing queers in the crowds sipping twist shandies!

F'n hell Bob, would you please forget this offense-skating pantywaist thing and get more like the Leafs!

The whole argument is silly. 10 years ago Canada could not win anything on the world stage and they held a summit to find out what is

wrong with the system. Everybody brings up that no Euro has captained a Stanley Cup winner and they never bring up the fact that

Canada is 2 for 5 in the last 5 major international competitions and that the Czechs, and Russians knocked us out of 2 of those competitions.

Now add to the fact that 9 of 30 teams have a Euro captain the percentages are still stacked 2 to 1 against one winning the Cup.

10 years ago 3 of 26 teams had a Euro captain (Jagr, Yashin, Sundin).

It is a Don Cherry staple and it may have been true when Kjehl Dahlin could play 20 minutes per game with 2 eggs in his back pocket 20 years ago,

but that reality no longer exists.

The statistics don't really mean anything to me. Yes, there is a better chance that a North American captain will win a cup purely on the 2-1 ratio you bring up, but not only are the new Euro's playing tougher, harder, and meaner now that they are adapting to North American style of play, I think that the Stanley Cup is actually starting to mean something to them. It's a lot easier to become a more complete and competitive player if you know, understand, and desire what you are fighting for. I think Europeans, as kids, genuinely want to come play hockey in America and "WIN THE STANLEY CUP" which I'm not sure was the case 15-20 yrs ago. We are only now starting to see some of that desire in guys like Ovechkin, Saku, Sundin etc........

GO SAKU GO!!!!!!!!!!

You tell 'em Don!

Didn't ya know Wamsley, we lost in Nagano because Gretzky plays like a goddamn European! And last Olympics, because, because...holy sh*t, because they were IN Europe! Our boys couldn't rock 'em or sock 'em after seeing all those tight white jeans-wearing queers in the crowds sipping twist shandies!

F'n hell Bob, would you please forget this offense-skating pantywaist thing and get more like the Leafs!

Let's blame Gretz for both losses! He told Crawford he didn't want to go in the penalty shootout and he picked a crappy team in 2006.

I thought the 2006 Olympics put that stereotype to bed. I mean the Swiss beat us 3-0. THE SWISS!! Where were the big bad fearless Canadian leaders

in that game? I am supposed to believe that Dipietro, Streit and Gerber were better than Brodeur, Lecavalier and Pronger?

Then with a chance at redemption they get outplayed by those gutless Russians and I have to watch the Chicken Swedes win the Gold medal???

What a bunch of baseless propoganda. Players like Salming, Naslund, Stastny proved that stereotype wrong 30 years ago.

Kovalev may not be the fastest player but he is a tough guy to take the puck from.

WHY DOES MY TV SCORE TICKER SAY: Stay tuned for a Canadiens news conference?????

did they hire another assistant coach. ^_^

Edited by InsaneHABSfan

Let's blame Gretz for both losses! He told Crawford he didn't want to go in the penalty shootout and he picked a crappy team in 2006.

I thought the 2006 Olympics put that stereotype to bed. I mean the Swiss beat us 3-0. THE SWISS!! Where were the big bad fearless Canadian leaders

in that game? I am supposed to believe that Dipietro, Streit and Gerber were better than Brodeur, Lecavalier and Pronger?

Then with a chance at redemption they get outplayed by those gutless Russians and I have to watch the Chicken Swedes win the Gold medal???

What a bunch of baseless propoganda. Players like Salming, Naslund, Stastny proved that stereotype wrong 30 years ago.

Well, you know, if we coulda drawn em into a donnybrook there bud...any of em...well, nothin a few more Molson Ex won't haze away.

Clearly we need to trade that Kovalev floater for Tucker - now there's a real player. And re-sign Ryder for 7m a year, what grit. Is Patrick Poulin still playing?

On a serious note, at least johnnyhasbeen has the Jagrmeister excuse and some sort of inexplicable soft spot for Maritimers. This narrow-minded stance is absolutely ridiculous otherwise. Many think Thornton plays soft, what is it, faulty genes?

The statistics don't really mean anything to me. Yes, there is a better chance that a North American captain will win a cup purely on the 2-1 ratio you bring up, but not only are the new Euro's playing tougher, harder, and meaner now that they are adapting to North American style of play, I think that the Stanley Cup is actually starting to mean something to them. It's a lot easier to become a more complete and competitive player if you know, understand, and desire what you are fighting for. I think Europeans, as kids, genuinely want to come play hockey in America and "WIN THE STANLEY CUP" which I'm not sure was the case 15-20 yrs ago. We are only now starting to see some of that desire in guys like Ovechkin, Saku, Sundin etc........

GO SAKU GO!!!!!!!!!!

I think guys like Salming, Naslund, Stastny would have done anything to win 30 years ago. Just because they would not fight does not make them soft.

Gretz, Lafleur, Lemieux never fought and were never labelled EURO soft.

If you loaded up with 3 lines of Kjehl Dahlins of course you were going to lose, but a defence corp full of players like Borje Salming would have been an elite team.

I am sure there were a bunch of players who came over in the 80s for the paycheck and the stereotype may have fit the majority of players then, but the 1994 Canucks

did not lose the Cup Finals because Bure did not want to win as much as Mark Messier. Without him they wouldn't have been in the Finals.

The Wings dynasty may have been lead by Yzerman, Shanahan but the core of the first team was Fedorov, Lidstrom, Fetisov, Larianov, Konstatinov. But who does

Cherry talk about and create mini legends for? McCarty, Draper, Lapointe and glosses over the Euro contingent that was essential to their championship.

These guys are professional athletes, and I don't care if they never dreamed of a Cup first and foremost. We do not question any Canadian leaving it all on the ice because

they grew up dreaming of the Cup and not the Olympics. When their competitive juices get going, it does not matter what they are playing for.

Kovalev may not be the fastest player but he is a tough guy to take the puck from.

WHY DOES MY TV SCORE TICKER SAY: Stay tuned for a Canadiens news conference?????

Carbonneau and Gainey are meeting the press today for the post season summary!

It should be at 2PM eastern.

I read that Bob will be giving his end-of-season thoughts today. Should be interesting.

EUropean is not a race so don't use racism when referring to my comments. If I said white captains are they way to go because a black or oriental hasn't well then you would have something. COme to think of it..... But wait, has there been a captain of colour?

I never said dump the Euro trash, as you call them, they aren't trash, just don't get the cup that's all. The season is over, they are playing for the cup, not miney and would just as soon be home or representing their countries. Hasak even said as much. Reallity isn't always easy to swallow, but take a gulp of it.

Detroit has a great Euro lead team, watch them fall to Dallas. Mark my words. They will probably win the President again next year though. Yeah!!! Hang a banner!!! Been the best for years. How many cups without Stevie Y?

Hmmm...

The players you rave about maybe all you say, but until we inject some NA spirit we won't win a cup. You can think otherwise if you want.

I also believe with my full heart that Koivu will be gone by the deadline next year. He isn't the current managements chosen captain, they inheritted him from the idiots. I just hope he gets it back abit next year so we get more than a mid 2nd round pick for him.

Jarkko Ruutu, Alex Ovechkin, Johan Franzen, Darius Kasparaitis, Danny Markov are playing golf where today?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

EUropean is not a race so don't use racism when referring to my comments. If I said white captains are they way to go because a black or oriental hasn't well then you would have something. COme to think of it..... But wait, has there been a captain of colour?

I never said dump the Euro trash, as you call them, they aren't trash, just don't get the cup that's all. The season is over, they are playing for the cup, not miney and would just as soon be home or representing their countries. Hasak even said as much. Reallity isn't always easy to swallow, but take a gulp of it.

Detroit has a great Euro lead team, watch them fall to Dallas. Mark my words. They will probably win the President again next year though. Yeah!!! Hang a banner!!! Been the best for years. How many cups without Stevie Y?

Hmmm...

The players you rave about maybe all you say, but until we inject some NA spirit we won't win a cup. You can think otherwise if you want.

I also believe with my full heart that Koivu will be gone by the deadline next year. He isn't the current managements chosen captain, they inheritted him from the idiots. I just hope he gets it back abit next year so we get more than a mid 2nd round pick for him.

Jarkko Ruutu, Alex Ovechkin, Johan Franzen, Darius Kasparaitis, Danny Markov are playing golf where today?

Ruutu, and Franzen are still in the playoffs, Darius Kasparaitis and Danny Markov didnt even play in the nhl this year. And Ovechkin is probably the best player in the world right now. So I'm not seeing your point.

Ruutu, and Franzen are still in the playoffs, Darius Kasparaitis and Danny Markov didnt even play in the nhl this year. And Ovechkin is probably the best player in the world right now. So I'm not seeing your point.

It is a ridiculous argument. How many years did Yzerman lead a first round collapse?

How many years did Yzerman fail to deliver with a superior team?

How many Cups did Yzerman win without Lidstrom? Fedorov? Shanahan?

93 - Loss to the Leafs

94 - Loss to the Sharks (1 losing to 8)

95 - Loss to the Devils (after winning the President's trophy)

96 - Loss to the Avs (after setting a league record for wins in a season)

03 - Loss to the Ducks (1 losing to 8)

04 - Loss to the Flames in round 2 (1 losing to 6)

Four consecutive years of losing to inferior teams in the playoffs. 6 times losing to a large underdog.

It is a theory based on prejudice. You cannot judge the individual character of a continent of people, it is ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than assuming that if you are Canadian you want it more than a European.

But the Cherry theory is the Russians cost them in the losses and Yzerman and Shanny, Drapes and McCarty lead them

to the Stanley Cups. The Canadian grit overcame the soft Euros.

I'm glad Kovalev won't be playing in the World Championships....it would put additional mileage on him that I'd rather see saved for games played for the Habs.