What about Gainey going for RFA gr2 ?

It seems to become slowly a thing GMs will have to look for... in the best or the worst way.

Is it a strategy some GM could use to harm their division rivals ??

for exemple : Gainey offering a 5 years 3,5M$ contract to Antoine Vermette could become interesting for the Habs because Ottawa would ongly get a late 1rst and a 3rd (I hope for the Habs to get high again in the standings) if they decide to not match the offer, and if they match it, maybe this is not the kind of salary they would have been willing to pay for Vermette (39.389 M$ is already their estimated Cap hit for next season with 3 UFA dmen.)

Vermette for a 1rst and a 3rd ??? Again, I think this has to be a secondary objective, main one would be a superstar UFA (Hossa style).

Interesting RFAs are:

Forwards:

Steve Bernier (Buffalo)

Pierre-Marc Bouchard (Minnesota)

Jeff Carter (Philadelphia)

Martin Erat (Nashville)

Chuck Kobasew (Boston)

Patrick O'Sullivan (Los Angeles)

Joe Pavelski (San Jose)

Corey Perry (Anaheim)

Marek Svatos (Colorado)

R.J. Umberger (Philadelphia)

Antoine Vermette (Ottawa)

Defense

Mike Green (Washington)

Andrej Meszaros (Ottawa)

Dennis Wideman (Boston)

Goalie

Kari Lehtonen (Atlanta)

Discuss...

BG won't be signing RFA's. He won't give up the picks.

I don't think he should sign any UFA's off the current roster. Streit had a good regular season but when things got tougher he vanished.

I would think he'll go after Hossa or Malone

The other top priority is Emelin, as fans found out in the playoffs you need size and toughness on the back end, the habs still have too many smurfs.

Higgins Koivu Sk (Hossa)

AK Pleks AK

Lats lapierre Malone

Begin (50) Chipchura Kosto

Stewart (32)

Markov Komi

Hamrlik O'Byrne

Emelin Gorges

Boiullon

Price

Halak

That team will be good enough to make the playoffs, generally it's bigger and tougher.

As i keep saying, they need aleader, don't know where they can get one or who can step up but as everyone saw as soon as something bad happened they folded.

2 and 5 with Koivu, 3 and 2 without him.

I don'T want vermette in montreal. Even though he'd be interesting, he's not tough enough. WE NEED TOUGHNESS!

If I were Bob, instead of pissing off other GM's with an offer to some RFA, i'd go after Ryan Malone. He'll be a UFA as of July 1st and just scored 27 goals this year. Plus, he has what we've desperately been needing up front...some SIZE. Malone is 6'4" and weighs 225pds.

I kow there aren't many interesting UFA's available this summer, except for Malone and Sundin, so it might be tough for Bob.

I would also make sure I could sign Koisarek to a long term deal (6 to 8 years) and I'd try to sign Andrei Kostitsyn as fast as possible...before some idiot (Kevin Lowe) comes in and offers him 5 million $ per year over 5 years!

I don'T want vermette in montreal. Even though he'd be interesting, he's not tough enough. WE NEED TOUGHNESS!

If I were Bob, instead of pissing off other GM's with an offer to some RFA, i'd go after Ryan Malone. He'll be a UFA as of July 1st and just scored 27 goals this year. Plus, he has what we've desperately been needing up front...some SIZE. Malone is 6'4" and weighs 225pds.

I kow there aren't many interesting UFA's available this summer, except for Malone and Sundin, so it might be tough for Bob.

I would also make sure I could sign Koisarek to a long term deal (6 to 8 years) and I'd try to sign Andrei Kostitsyn as fast as possible...before some idiot (Kevin Lowe) comes in and offers him 5 million $ per year over 5 years!

I would go hard after Sundin. Sundin would make this team a Stanley Cup favourite instantly.

I hate the Leafs, I hate Sundin, but he is a great player.

I would sign our priority guys first before thinking RFA. What do you think A. Kost could get offered on this market?

Christ, as good as Sundin is, the intangibles are so weighted against this. Still, he is that good. Still, he is Mats Sundin. Still, he...

I like Bouchard and O'Sullivan but we're too small. I like Carter (imagine him, Higgins and Grabovski as a winger on the third line) but he'll get some outrageous offer somewhere. Perry will get the moon from ducks. Wideman and Green attractive but our d is pretty good. Healthy Kobasew also good but maybe no-one worth the perceived bad blood of the RFA world - or at least can't see Gentleman Bob playing that kind of game. Some nice players in there, though.

main objective would be to secure our own players long term before going and pick up into some other teams basket.

if he could sign the swede and maybe do a minor trade to add grit on the roster, that would be good for me.

at the right price I wouldn't mind a guy like avery or malone.

Edited by marky_and_komi

main objective would be to secure our own players long term before going and pick up into some other teams basket.

if he could sign the swede and maybe do a minor trade to add grit on the roster, that would be good for me.

at the right price I wouldn't mind a guy like avery or malone.

Well, I would renegotiate with Komisarek (4M per) and Higgins (3.5M per) and resign AK46 (3M per). Then I would let Streit and Ryder walk. I would resign Smolinski (1M) only at a discount, maybe Breezer.

Grabovksi (100K raise), Halak (250K raise), Lapierre(200K raise), Gorges (200K rasie) and O'Byrne (200K raise) would receieve minimal raises.

That would leave the Habs at about 45-46M. The cap is supposed to go up to 54-56M which leaves 10M for Free Agents.

More than enough for an impact Free Agent.

Then you worry about Pleks and if you keep around Begin and Kostopolous after next year.

That would leave the Habs at about 45-46M. The cap is supposed to go up to 54-56M which leaves 10M for Free Agents.

THe Habs would have to buy out Dandy's contract 66% of 1.75 million = 1.155 million$ SO the Habs would have about 8.8 million$ to spend on an UFA.

Grabovksi (100K raise), Halak (250K raise), Lapierre(200K raise), Gorges (200K rasie) and O'Byrne (200K raise) would receieve minimal raises.

Do you think these guys would accept such small raises? As far as Streit is concerned, I think Bob will offer him something like what he gave Dandy (7 million over 3 years). It'll be up to streit to take it or leave it!

Well, I would renegotiate with Komisarek (4M per) and Higgins (3.5M per) and resign AK46 (3M per).

I'd offer Komisarek 32 million$ over 8 years. I wonder if he'd accept that??

Higgins will probably want 16 million$ over 4 years and A. Kostitsyn will probably want 9 million over 3 years.

Edited by Habsfan

I would go hard after Sundin. Sundin would make this team a Stanley Cup favourite instantly.

I hate the Leafs, I hate Sundin, but he is a great player.

You do realize that Sundin would only be good to help us out for 1 maybe 2 years!!

How would Sundin, Koivu and Kovalev be in the dressing room. Is the dressing large enough for 3 big ego's????

Edited by Habsfan

You do realize that Sundin would only be good to help us out for 1 maybe 2 years!!

How would Sundin, Koivu and Kovalev be in the dressing room. Is the dressing large enough for 3 big ego's????

That is the beauty of it. I would rather have Sundin for 2 years than Hossa for 7. If Sundin does not work out he is easy to get rid of.

As for the dressing room. If they want to win they would accept him. You cannot worry about how Koivu/Kovalev feel about

every decision. In order for this team to win they are going to have to bring in better players than those 2.

You cannot worry about how Koivu/Kovalev feel about

every decision. In order for this team to win they are going to have to bring in better players than those 2.

I agree, but you know how fickle these superstars can be sometimes!

Higgins will probably want 16 million$ over 4 years

I'd deal him if he wanted that much. He's yet to show that he's worth 4mil per season, and his disappearing act in the playoffs was worrysome.

Edited by sbhatt

THe Habs would have to buy out Dandy's contract 66% of 1.75 million = 1.155 million$ SO the Habs would have about 8.8 million$ to spend on an UFA.

Do you think these guys would accept such small raises? As far as Streit is concerned, I think Bob will offer him something like what he gave Dandy (7 million over 3 years). It'll be up to streit to take it or leave it!

I'd offer Komisarek 32 million$ over 8 years. I wonder if he'd accept that??

Higgins will probably want 16 million$ over 4 years and A. Kostitsyn will probably want 9 million over 3 years.

Do they really have much choice? All of those guys are great to have, but you cannot go overpaying them just because they made the NHL.

I doubt somebody comes in and offers any of these guys 1.5-2M per season, an offer sheet is generally going to be a large overpayment

because you do not want the GM to match. 10-15% raise is more than fair for what those players have accomplished.

Lapierre, O'Byrne, Grabovski and Gorges are really depth players that are not integral to the core. They are only great to have because they are cheap.

But do you really believe another GM is going to gum up his cap with 2-3M on the risk that these guys can become top end players. They have not really

shown star potential.

Would you want Gainey to toss 2M per at Anton Strallman? Every team has depth guys that they hope will ascend to a greater level, and would rather

take the zero risk approach that their own players will develop with zero cost to them.

Halak may be the only one who could pose a problem. But I doubt it would come from an NHL team.

I don't know if Higgins is worth 4M per season. I don't know if he is worth 3.5M, but I figure you slightly overpay for his long term security.

I am hoping they can suck Komisarek into a long term deal by doubling his salary, but 8M for the pair would make me happy either way.

Lapierre, O'Byrne, Grabovski and Gorges are really depth players that are not integral to the core. They are only great to have because they are cheap.

But do you really believe another GM is going to gum up his cap with 2-3M on the risk that these guys can become top end players.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another team offer some money to O'Byrne. He's HUGE and he's young.

I don't know if Higgins is worth 4M per season. I don't know if he is worth 3.5M, but I figure you slightly overpay for his long term security.

I don't think he's worth 4 million per season right now, but if you can lock him into a 4 or 5 year deal, by the 2nd year of his contract, Higgins would be a steal at 4 million per season.

I am hoping they can suck Komisarek into a long term deal by doubling his salary, but 8M for the pair would make me happy either way.

I'd even be willing to go up to 4.5 or 5 million per year to make sur Komisarek is here for the next 6 to 8 years!

I wouldn't be surprised to see another team offer some money to O'Byrne. He's HUGE and he's young.

I don't think he's worth 4 million per season right now, but if you can lock him into a 4 or 5 year deal, by the 2nd year of his contract, Higgins would be a steal at 4 million per season.

I'd even be willing to go up to 4.5 or 5 million per year to make sur Komisarek is here for the next 6 to 8 years!

I doubt somebody offers O'Byrne big money. How many GMs are going to roll the dice on a guy who only played 30 games at the NHL level?

If they don't offer enough the Habs match, if they offer to much then they are not only giving up draft picks but they have now gambled on an unknown

commodity. Most GMs are really conservative. The only RFA offers I expect are for established guys who look like they are about to make the leap.

I don't know if Higgins will ever be worth 4M per. His production in the last 3 season has been totally due to his first and second line exposure and

his abundant PP time. Over half of his points came on the PP and his even strength production barely outdistances Habsworld whipping boy Guillame Latendresse.

Plop Higgins onto the 3rd line and cut his PP time in half and see if he is worth 4M per season. Higgins came to life in 2006 when he was promoted to the top line.

Ryder is another guy who gets destroyed on this board and his production is essentially half of Higgins on the PP in half the time.

It is why I said I would be happy to lock in Komisarek and Higgins for 8M. (5M+3M). I am starting to believe that Higgins is a 3rd liner playing up a line,

and you cannot win in the cap world paying 3rd line players 4M a season. I hope I am wrong, but his lack of finish at 25 is concerning to me.

I doubt somebody offers O'Byrne big money. How many GMs are going to roll the dice on a guy who only played 30 games at the NHL level? If they don't offer enough the Habs match, if they offer to much then they are not only giving up draft picks but they have now gambled on an unknown commodity. Most GMs are really conservative. The only RFA offers I expect are for established guys who look like they are about to make the leap.

I don't know if Higgins will ever be worth 4M per. His production in the last 3 season has been totally due to his first and second line exposure and his abundant PP time. Over half of his points came on the PP and his even strength production barely outdistances Habsworld whipping boy Guillame Latendresse. Plop Higgins onto the 3rd line and cut his PP time in half and see if he is worth 4M per season. Higgins came to life in 2006 when he was promoted to the top line.

Ryder is another guy who gets destroyed on this board and his production is essentially half of Higgins on the PP in half the time.

It is why I said I would be happy to lock in Komisarek and Higgins for 8M. (5M+3M). I am starting to believe that Higgins is a 3rd liner playing up a line, and you cannot win in the cap world paying 3rd line players 4M a season. I hope I am wrong, but his lack of finish at 25 is concerning to me.

Agreed on all fronts.

O'Byrne isn't THAT good that he'd be poached.

Higgins' current state is worrying, but I hope that his contract year shows him for what he truly can be - a 70 point top-6 winger.

He and Latendresse deserve a solid stint on an offence-first line.

I wouldn't pay Komisarek $5m a season though. $4-4.5 maybe, for 3-4 years.

It is why I said I would be happy to lock in Komisarek and Higgins for 8M. (5M+3M). I am starting to believe that Higgins is a 3rd liner playing up a line,

and you cannot win in the cap world paying 3rd line players 4M a season. I hope I am wrong, but his lack of finish at 25 is concerning to me.

I also hope you are wrong, but I still think Higgins could get 20-25 goals per year playing on a decent 3rd line (15 to 17 minutes per game)

3 to 4 million per year on a long term deal would be worth it!

I wouldn't pay Komisarek $5m a season though. $4-4.5 maybe, for 3-4 years.

Trust me, you want to lock up Komisarek for at least 6 years...maybe even 8 years!

Any good RFA grinders/fighters, then yes. Otherwise nobody interests me at that money other than Perry and Green but there's no way in hell their team's would let those guys go.

Not quite. Split that buyout figure in half, because the boyout is spread out over twice the number of years left on the contract. So that would leave Bob with about $9.3 to spend.

I think if Gainey had his sights set on RFAs, he'd stay clear of what Lowe did last summer and paint other GMs into a corner. Either try to swing a deal, or at least come to a handshake deal before July 1, and not overbid on a guy.

Not quite. Split that buyout figure in half, because the boyout is spread out over twice the number of years left on the contract. So that would leave Bob with about $9.3 to spend.

Thanks, i had forgotten about that!

Ideally it looks like Higgins is a 3rd line ctr. He just doesn't have the finishing to warrant any more exposure (he just can't play on the pp). It certainly isn't for lack of effort, and he is a pretty good all around player...but he works for what he gets, and cannot go beyond his talent. He could be a really fine player on a third line, with Latendresse and a good skilled offense ctr (who can backcheck a bit) with them. That could end up being a depth line that takes us a long way. 3.5 m long-term, with maybe good performance bonuses tacked on.

Komisarek is a monster, he is starting to emerge as a real force, I give him some leeway because he was not 100% in the playoffs but still gave his all. 5m long-term would be great. 6 years would be fantastic, extending nicely beyond the Markov-Hamrlik contracts.

O'Byrne has way less risk to be poached (inconceivable really for his experience and the type of player he is); A. Kost on the other hand, I can see someone making him a sweet offer. Bob would do well to keep him and S. Kost locked up.

I guess we'll have too much tied up in the d to make a pitch for Green.

We aren't going to be making any offer sheets. But Halak may be getting poached and someone might take a stab at Andrei. We're safe with O'Byrne and Gorges and don't expect Komisarek and Higgins to be signed before next offseason. The only player we've ever seen Gainey do that with was Koivu.

Komisarek will be getting 5M a season because that is the price for a #2 or #3 defenceman nowadays. Hamrlik is making 5.5 and Markov 5.75. If you look around the league, you'll see that most teams are paying their top defenceman something in the 4-6M range.

Higgins may someday be worth 5M. But he also may never be worth more than 3M. He's still up in the air at this point. A 35/35 season doesn't seem impossible yet neither does a a 20/20 season.

We aren't going to be making any offer sheets. But Halak may be getting poached and someone might take a stab at Andrei. We're safe with O'Byrne and Gorges and don't expect Komisarek and Higgins to be signed before next offseason. The only player we've ever seen Gainey do that with was Koivu.

Komisarek will be getting 5M a season because that is the price for a #2 or #3 defenceman nowadays. Hamrlik is making 5.5 and Markov 5.75. If you look around the league, you'll see that most teams are paying their top defenceman something in the 4-6M range.

Higgins may someday be worth 5M. But he also may never be worth more than 3M. He's still up in the air at this point. A 35/35 season doesn't seem impossible yet neither does a a 20/20 season.

I think we could see a change of culture with the Canadiens regarding contract management. if you dont want to see your players leave quickly you need to get them signed right away.

Last year said he didnt start negociation with Markov until the end of the season and it may have costed 2-3 M when its all said and done.

signing Komisarek long term is a priority. non of the prospects are ready to take a huge role on the team( o'byrne is at least a year away before being totally confortable) an the players in hamilton, IMO, still need grooming. y/20-25M would be good for me.

as for Higgins, his role isn,t quite defined yet, I would love to see him on a third line with chipchura and lapierre or kostopoulos on the right side. he doesnt have the same negociating force than Komisarek because he's not yet a major part of the team. he will be in a couple of years but now he's a great role player.

another player that isn't talked about as much is plekanec. he had a career year and showed great evolution. he's entering his prime, I say sign him right away and save lots of money.