BlockBuster Trade Montreal/Pittsburgh

kaos

Within the next 2 to 3 years in conceivable that the Pittsburgh Penguins will have to deal one of their 3 stud centreman, Sidney Crosby, Evegeni Malkin or Jordan Staal. The reason is that they currently have a cap hit of about $44 Million dollars and Marc Andre Fleury needs a new contract this year. Malkin and Staal need contracts after next year. Fleury should probably get soemwhere around $4 to $5 Million, Malkin can probably ask for $7 to $8 Million or more after what he's accomplished the last two years and Jordan Staal should probably command more than $3 to $4 mIllion a season.

Something has to give and it won't be their starting goalie.

A side note is that Pittsburgh is a little thin on skilled wingers and is looking to keep Marian Hossa..which if they do, something will have to give moore sooner than later.

Having said that, if you could trade for one of those three, who would it be and why? As well, state what you would trade of the Montreal roster to make it happen.

I see Staal being the most likely to go as the other two are already NHL superstars and irreplaceable. Staal has yet to reach that status, yet looks to be on his way. He's great at both ends of the ice and had lots of size and grit which Montreal needs.

It would cost a fortune to pry him out of Pittsburgh, but I think a package that includes T. Plekanec, S. Kostitsyn, G. Latendresse and a 1st Rd pick would probably do it.

Plekanec would give them a younger cheaper centre who is good both ways, and Montreal had Lapierre and Chipchura behind Koivu anyways. Kostitsyn showed how good he was this year in his rookie year and will only get better. Latendresse is too slow for the Montreal system and hasn't shown much anyways offensively, but would probably fit nice with Crosby or Malkin. The first rounder would most like be 25th or greater overall and is expendable.

Any other opinions?

Within the next 2 to 3 years in conceivable that the Pittsburgh Penguins will have to deal one of their 3 stud centreman, Sidney Crosby, Evegeni Malkin or Jordan Staal. The reason is that they currently have a cap hit of about $44 Million dollars and Marc Andre Fleury needs a new contract this year. Malkin and Staal need contracts after next year. Fleury should probably get soemwhere around $4 to $5 Million, Malkin can probably ask for $7 to $8 Million or more after what he's accomplished the last two years and Jordan Staal should probably command more than $3 to $4 mIllion a season.

Something has to give and it won't be their starting goalie.

A side note is that Pittsburgh is a little thin on skilled wingers and is looking to keep Marian Hossa..which if they do, something will have to give moore sooner than later.

Having said that, if you could trade for one of those three, who would it be and why? As well, state what you would trade of the Montreal roster to make it happen.

I see Staal being the most likely to go as the other two are already NHL superstars and irreplaceable. Staal has yet to reach that status, yet looks to be on his way. He's great at both ends of the ice and had lots of size and grit which Montreal needs.

It would cost a fortune to pry him out of Pittsburgh, but I think a package that includes T. Plekanec, S. Kostitsyn, G. Latendresse and a 1st Rd pick would probably do it.

Plekanec would give them a younger cheaper centre who is good both ways, and Montreal had Lapierre and Chipchura behind Koivu anyways. Kostitsyn showed how good he was this year in his rookie year and will only get better. Latendresse is too slow for the Montreal system and hasn't shown much anyways offensively, but would probably fit nice with Crosby or Malkin. The first rounder would most like be 25th or greater overall and is expendable.

Any other opinions?

That is too much for Staal. 4 for 1 are risky propositions unless you are getting back a Crosby level player. Even so, how is Kovalchuk doing with no support staff?

Even with Marian Hossa Atlanta got destroyed in the first round.

I would rather have a team concept based around a strong youthful core than 1 great to good player.

I would wait and see how Lats pans out on his own. His 5 on 5 production is on par with Higgins and given significant ice time and his inevitable maturation he will

turn into a very productive offensive player. Maybe not be as complete as Staal, but not worth 3 extra players in difference.

Crosby, Malkin then Staal for me.

Edited by Wamsley01

I would wait and see how Lats pans out on his own. His 5 on 5 production is on par with Higgins and given significant ice time and his inevitable maturation he will

turn into a very productive offensive player. Maybe not be as complete as Staal, but not worth 3 extra players in difference.

Exactly! I've said it before and I,ll say it again. It takes longer for big boys to develop in the NHL. Give Lats some time. in 2 or 3 years, he'll be much better and will probably be scoring 30 goals per season. The added bonus is that he'll only be 23 or 24 years old!

We must be patient with this kid. He score 16 goals playing on the third line, averagin 12 minutes per game with 0 minutes on the PP.

Give him some PP minutes and he'll score an extra 10-12 goals per year!

I would try to get Ryan Malone from Pittsburgh.

Edited by Habsfan

If Pittsburgh has well documented cap problems and Staal is coming off a mediocre season in which his goal total went way down, I don't think teams would quite have to pay market value for him.

And even if they did, that price is way over market value. I'm not sure Gainey would give Plekanec straight up for Staal. Then we throw in two other quality prospects and 1st round pick. We are giving 4 forwards with 1st line potential, one of which is almost there, three of them already solid NHLers... for one solid NHLer with 1st line potential.

Is Staal that different from Latendresse? His potential is slightly higher, he's slightly more of a safe bet, and he's a couple of inches taller. Yet I don't think there is such a difference that we have to throw in three other valuable assets. At this point in time, Staal is in the same situation as Latendresse - a hyped up sophomore 20-year old power forward who hasn't broken out yet.

I would obviously have interest in all three centers though. My favourite of them is Malkin but I'm sure the fans will go crazy if we have to rely on another Russian. I think the offer you made is more realistic for Malkin than it is for Staal, yet I still don't think Gainey would make it before he sees how good Kostitsyn and especially Latendresse wind up.

That's too much for Jordan Staal. However, at the same time, expecting to get Staal off them for anything less than overpayment would of course mean he'll never move. Not until he really does reach a level where they cannot afford to keep all three of their top centers.

Have we started this old rag already?

Giving up that much for Staal is beyond idiocy. Unless Pittsburgh offers up Crosby (and that will never happen...ever!) forget it.

Lecavalier is still the best option anyway.

BTW- San Jose will have the same cap issues next year.

Rather than offering that kinda deal we could make an offer for Crosby or Malkin in a year when they are RFA and pay the price in 1st rounders because they might be worth less than the players u offered for a not as good Staal. And at that time Kovalev's contract will be finished and that saves us alot of cap-room.

Staal for four? Never.

Crosby has to be first - watch, really watch a parrot's game: he does it all, both ends, with little support (Dupuis and who knows). He is great; we will not get any of their top 3.

Anyway, nice to see two goalies who seemingly have no idea about fundamentals into the final 4. Biron now to his usual cold-mediocre, Fleury a nightmare positionally.

Edited by tokyohabs

Have we started this old rag already?

Giving up that much for Staal is beyond idiocy. Unless Pittsburgh offers up Crosby (and that will never happen...ever!) forget it.

Lecavalier is still the best option anyway.

BTW- San Jose will have the same cap issues next year.

I agree. Sure Pens big three are great but I would rather focus on Vinnie. I am optimistic with very few on these boards Vinnie will entertain Montreal's UFA offers next summer, No Doubt. I think there is a very big chance of landing Lecavalier next summer, possibly even by March when Tampa starts to worry about losing him for nothing. This thread more realistically should be titled "BLOCKBUSTER Trade Montreal/Tampa."

Rather than offering that kinda deal we could make an offer for Crosby or Malkin in a year when they are RFA and pay the price in 1st rounders because they might be worth less than the players u offered for a not as good Staal. And at that time Kovalev's contract will be finished and that saves us alot of cap-room.

Crosby has already signed a very long-term deal, he will never be a RFA. I can't remember Malkin signing one, but he'll get one soon enough, there'll never be a chance of him hitting restricted free agency. He'll be able to get 9 million a season in Pittsburgh unless they change their philosophy and want to build around Crosby and use Malkin as trade bait (of course, they can choose to build around Malkin and trade Crosby but that seems unlikely even if they are both at around the same level).