Mark Bell

lazy26

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237611&amp...s=headlines_nhl

According to TSN, Mark Bell will not be staying overnight in jail when he serves his time in a work program this summer. He was arrested in September of 2006 after an traffic incident and later pleaded no contest to charges of hit and run and drunken driving.

Unless I'm missing some details, I think it's BS that Bell essentially only has to go to summer school after being nailed with a hit and run. The double standard when it comes to "celebrities" has got to go. It's infuriating.

That happens with other people as well and Mark Bell is far from a celebrity ... it's cheaper for the state to keep non-violent crimes out of the jail an into work programs ... cuts the cost of housing him and overcrowding the jail.

That happens with other people as well and Mark Bell is far from a celebrity ... it's cheaper for the state to keep non-violent crimes out of the jail an into work programs ... cuts the cost of housing him and overcrowding the jail.

Obviously it keeps costs down, but I've seen people more harshly punished simply with mere DUIs. Bell hit and and, which IMO should result in harsher punishment... like say his initial sentence.

And I put quotation marks around "celebrities" to indicate that Bell is more famous than the average person, not that he is in fact a celebrity. :D

I wouldn't really go exactly in double standards.

Cali is right about the cost to maintain prisoners. I'm not trying to excuse Bell here but if I remember he was caught driving drunk near some middle of the no where road.

Nonetheless, Bell is still an idiot for driving drunk and not using the Sharks' FREE car shuttle service.

I wouldn't really go exactly in double standards.

Cali is right about the cost to maintain prisoners. I'm not trying to excuse Bell here but if I remember he was caught driving drunk near some middle of the no where road.

Nonetheless, Bell is still an idiot for driving drunk and not using the Sharks' FREE car shuttle service.

Bell actually rear-ended a pickup truck, leaving the driver of the truck with head injuries. He then walked away from the scene of the crime. Not that I condone drinking and driving, but this is obviously worse, and the reason I think it's BS.

But overcrowding is definitely a real issue... there are so many people that are released into my community, years ahead of schedule. And definitely not rehabilitated.

The guy plays for Toronto, isn't that punishment enough?

Maybe if they put him on the PK for three months?

Before talking about double standards, we should probably take a look at sentences given to "normal" people in a similar context. I'm quite sure we would find that sending someone to a work program, and taking into account their job schedule is not so uncommon.

Before talking about double standards, we should probably take a look at sentences given to "normal" people in a similar context. I'm quite sure we would find that sending someone to a work program, and taking into account their job schedule is not so uncommon.

Based on what I've seen (I work in Addictions), it's not uncommon for such a thing to occur with DUIs. Hit and runs typically lead to actual jail time, depending on the severity of the accident.

• 2 weeks later...