2008 Habs Draft thread

MAK

Chet Pickard being drafted by the Habs at #25 could be a big reach. This isn't one of those drafts to be known for having good goaltending prospects. Look at last year, the Rangers drafted the first goalie in the second round.

Nonetheless, it's almost a smilar situation for this year. I'd be very surprised to see a goalie drafted in the top twenty.

The Habs have never been shy of drafting anyone from a specific country, I don't think they'll complain if someone drops to them à la Cherepanov.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody knows where I can get the list of players that will be re-entering the draft ??

anybody knows where I can get the list of players that will be re-entering the draft ??

This list isn't up to date as of 5pm yesterday but it will give you an idea. Don't forget about the transfer agreement that also puts this list into question.

The players marked with an * are affected by the transfer agreement, but what it entails I'm not sure.

EDIT # 2: after researching more I found this article from Paul Holmgren clarifying the Transfer agreement issues. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15508

ANA

June 1

Janne Pesonen *

Bryce Swan

August 15

Kyle Klubertanz

ATL

June 1

Jonas Enlund *

Juraj Gracik *

Denis Loginov *

Miikka Tuomainen *

Andrei Zubarev *

August 15

Matt Siddall

BOS

June 1

Yuri Alexandrov *

BUF

June 1

Benjamin Breault

Vyacheslav Buravchikov *

Denis Ezhov *

Artem Kryukov *

Dennis Persson *

CGY

June 1

Devin DiDiomete

Per Jonsson *

Juuso Puustinen *

Fred Wikner *

CAR

June 1

Magnus Akerlund *

CHI

June 1

Marko Anttila *

Karel Hromas *

Denis Istomin *

Alexei Ivanov *

Tony Lagerstrom *

Igor Makarov *

Ben Shutron

Jakub Sindel *

August 15

Matthew Ford

Scott McCulloch

COL

June 1

Denis Parshin *

August 15

Tom Fritsche

Derek Peltier

CBJ

June 1

Jesse Dudas

Maxime Frechette

Dmitri Kosmachev *

Robert Nyholm *

Lennart Petrell *

Ben Wright

August 15

Brian McGuirk

Rob Page

DAL

June 1

Sergei Kukushkin *

Fredrik Naslund *

Aaron Snow

Lukas Vomela *

Max Warn *

August 15

Trevor Ludwig

Matt McKnight

DET

June 1

Anton Axelsson *

Siarhei Kolasau *

Gennady Stolyarov *

EDM

June 1

Bjorn Bjurling *

Alexander Bumagin *

Mikhail Zhukov *

FLA

June 1

Roman Derlyuk *

Denis Stasyuk *

LA

June 1

Constantin Braun *

Johan Fransson *

Joe Ryan

Valtteri Tenkanen *

August 15

Paul Baier

Mike Curry

MIN

June 1

Ondrej Fiala

Niko Hovinen *

Grigory Misharin *

Julien Sprunger *

Julian Walker *

MTL

June 1

Cameron Cepek

Alexei Emelin *

NSH

June 1

Stanislav Balan *

Konstantin Glazachev *

Denis Kulyash *

Grigory Shafigulin *

Rustam Sidikov *

Viktor Sjodin *

Niko Snellman *

NJ

June 1

Arseny Bondarev *

Valeri Klimov *

Alexander Mikhailishin *

Kirill Tulupov

Alexander Vasyunov *

Vladimir Zharkov *

NYI

June 1

Emil Axelsson *

Kim Johansson *

Jaroslav Mrazek *

Stefan Ridderwall *

Igor Volkov *

NYR

June 1

Zdenek Bahensky *

David Kveton *

Roman Psurny *

Tomas Zaborsky *

Lukas Zeliska *

August 15

Jordan Foote

Billy Ryan

OTT

June 1

Vitaly Anikeenko *

Ryan Daniels

Sergei Gimayev *

Pierre-Luc Lessard

Kirill Lyamin *

Dmitri Megalinsky *

Igor Mirnov *

Peter Regin *

Roman Wick *

John Wikner *

August 15

Matt McIlvane

PHI

June 1

Denis Bodrov *

Michael Dupont

Jakub Kovar *

Joonas Lehtivuori *

Andrei Popov *

Ladislav Scurko *

August 15

Travis Gawryletz

Jon Rheault

PHX

June 1

Jordan Bendfeld

Anton Krysanov *

Martin Latal *

Dmitri Pestunov *

August 15

Will Engasser

PIT

June 1

Evgeni Isakov *

Johannes Salmonsson *

Timo Seppanen *

Michal Sersen *

SJ

June 1

James DeLory

August 15

P.J. Fenton

Derek MacIntyre

Brian O'Hanley

STL

June 1

Viktor Alexandrov *

Konstantin Barulin *

Reto Berra *

David Fredriksson *

Nikita Nikitin *

Andrei Pervyshin *

Evgeni Skachkov *

TB

June 1

Dane Crowley

Denis Kazionov *

Albert Vishnyakov *

TOR

June 1

Korbinian Holzer *

Leo Komarov *

Maxim Semenov *

Konstantin Volkov *

Dmitri Vorobiev *

VAN

June 1

Evan Fuller

Sergei Shirokov *

Sergei Topol *

August 15

Andrew Sarauer

WSH

June 1

Peter Guggisberg *

Oscar Hedman *

Maxime Lacroix

Luke Lynes

Oskar Osala *

Pasi Salonen *

Mikhail Yunkov *

Edited by Habitforming

I believe Gainey and company are going to be able to pick up someone like a Jamie Arniel who should be a good centre.

The future 2008 #1 pick is quoted: "He's a pure goal scorer," said Stamkos, who leads the team with 55 goals and 98 points this season. "Whenever he gets around the net, he's going to bury the puck. He has great speed and great vision. When I saw that trade go through, I was very happy and I'm glad that he was on my team now."

Source: Jamie Arniel Article

This draft is so heavy on "D" that a good centre like Arniel should be available.

Even a goalie like Dustin Tokarski ranked 9th in N.A. goalies could slip here. 45 games 2.05 GAA playing with Spokane.

I am excited with the depth of this draft and the fact Habs have 3 picks in the first two rounds. I expect two centers and a goalie first three picks.

I am excited with the depth of this draft and the fact Habs have 3 picks in the first two rounds. I expect two centers and a goalie first three picks.

I'm expecting the same thing

A goalie

A defensive centerman à la chipchura

an offensive centerman...stephanovich would be nice

3 picks in the first two rounds? Don't they just have a first and a second?

Ooops, my error I thought it was for 2008.

From the Gazette: As the 3 p.m. deadline passed, the only move announced by Canadiens GM Bob Gainey was trading goaltender Cristobal Huet to Washington in exchange for the Capitals' second-round draft pick in 2009 (acquired from Anaheim on Nov. 19 for Brian Sutherby).

Joe Colborne. He's huge and has some top 6 upside. He should be in the Habs reach when they draft. There's also Maxime Sauve from Val D'Or. He's a skilled centre but his knock is his size (5'-10").

Keep in mind, this is Timmins. Timmins doesn't draft based on needs. He goes based on the best player available model. That's how the Habs landed Carey Price instead of Jordan Staal.

Edit: I meant Marc Staal, not Jordan.

Colborne better be motivated and into hockey to make his own name for himself, because he sure doesn't need the money. Daddy is an oil tycoon with a rumored income of $90m in 2006.

How about Petrov?

He's a big guy that can score as well as Colborne.

This is what I like about this draft and you made a good point. The draft is so deep that even the LEAFS cannot screw up their pick. (Unless they trade it :lol: )

I have a feeling after seeing how good defensively Detroit was, that teams are going to jump all over the available very good defenseman. This is going to leave the door wide open for good young Centers or scoring wingers for Montreal to chose from as they should be available. Not sure if the Habs will take any plumbers or "D" unless it is late round selection. I believe Gainey will target 2 Centers and a goalie with their first three picks. Assuming there are no trades. Even the second round should be a decent pick so lets get the party rolling here....

Draft Habs Draft! :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we may as well make this the "Official thread" if there's going to be one...

Official HW Mock Draft

Official HW Draft Pool

Do you want the Habs to trade up, down, out, or hold where they are (and while you're at it, vote in the poll on the mainpage, gotta get the plugs in where we can...)

Personally, I don't see the Habs looking to move up to 6 as the Columbus paper reported yesterday, the price I think would be too high (they want an established #1 C for that pick.) 19 may be an option as it's only a jump of 6 and a prospect may be the buffer to get that done.

That being said, I have a hunch the team has someone in mind who may be a reach where they are, and will trade down a few spots to try and add a mid-round pick, but stay in the first round. I'd love to see Dalpe, but I'm concerned he'll be gone by then, even if I deliberately picked other players in my pool entry to get Dalpe to 25.

I had Deschamps going to the Habs but the Grachev crowd converted me :D

Yeah, that was one of the biggest "surprise" picks we had. Everyone but ISS has him as a mid-2nd rounder at best. I voted for him for the "home run" potential more than anything.

I'm still highest on Gustafsson at that pick if he's available, though. The problem is, most of my hopeful Habs were gone by the time we got to #25.

Probably the only guy I'm definitely against the selection of is Joe Colborne. He's a rich boy primadonna... he doesn't like it when things get dirty despite being big and I don't think he has the incentive to learn things the hard way.

And I'll add this... I'd be pumped if the goaltender that we picked was Braden Holtby.

Edited by saskhab

I wonder if BOb might be after Columbus' 2nd 1st rounder. What if the organization has identified a 3, 4 or 5 player wishlist? A wishlist that will produce an excellent 1st round selection versus other clubs in the years draft. Maybe they know for a fact that their wishlist will be empty by the time the 25th rolls around. But they also identify that a player they want will be available at the 19th pick.

Joe Sakic was a 16th overall selection as an example of a pick close to 19th. I doubt he is trying to trade up any highr than 15. It seems logical though.

And, this is assuming some of the rumours on this are true. If they are true, there may not be a deal but it's clear that BOb is trying something.

montyburnsve2.jpg:popcorn:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I was thinking Gainey would trade or try to sign a centre (Sundin etc...) and draft best player available. I was even thinking he might be able to trade down and get:

LUKE SCHENN

Pos: Defence

Shoots: R

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 212 lbs.

Born: 11/02/1989

Team: Kelowna (WHL)

Supposed to be the best defenseman in the draft and an excellent shutdown guy.

Unfortunately this guy made me puke. He said CBC is Canada, and the Leafs are Canada's team. RED FLAG, RED FLAG, RED FLAG.......All on the Fan590 today. Oh why oh why do I torture myself listing to Leaf CRAP channels.. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

This guys IQ is obviously extremely low so I change my mind. ^_^

Like some said earlier, Deshamp looks to be decent, there was another centre with good size and talent rated around there. If they were to trade up i would bet it's the centre going to BU. I forget his name also.

I doubt they go D but you never know, maybe he trades down to get a late first round and early second to take a shot at Staal.

I didn't realize the draft or the first round anyway was Friday. What is the start time? Is it on the NHL network?

I was thinking Gainey would trade or try to sign a centre (Sundin etc...) and draft best player available. I was even thinking he might be able to trade down and get:

LUKE SCHENN

Pos: Defence

Shoots: R

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 212 lbs.

Born: 11/02/1989

Team: Kelowna (WHL)

Supposed to be the best defenseman in the draft and an excellent shutdown guy.

Unfortunately this guy made me puke. He said CBC is Canada, and the Leafs are Canada's team. RED FLAG, RED FLAG, RED FLAG.......All on the Fan590 today. Oh why oh why do I torture myself listing to Leaf CRAP channels.. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

This guys IQ is obviously extremely low so I change my mind. ^_^

Mcdo, PK, Weber, Valentenko, Carle, Fisher, O'byrne even Emelin seems more than enough D prospects to me.

All these players are 1 to 3 years ahead in development ahead of any draftee. And it takes forever to develop one.

Pick one D if he's the best player availbale is one thing, trade to get one is another thing.

Mcdo, PK, Weber, Valentenko, Carle, Fisher, O'byrne even Emelin seems more than enough D prospects to me.

All these players are 1 to 3 years ahead in development ahead of any draftee. And it takes forever to develop one.

Pick one D if he's the best player availbale is one thing, trade to get one is another thing.

8 players for only 3 spots...given that Markov, komisarek and hamrlik are here for at least 3-4 more years.

Honestly, Colborne i dunno because of the money issue, Deschamps would be not bad, but im going a little off and say the habs are going to pick Greg Nemisz

centre, 6'3 197 lbs

shoots R

THN: Camparable to John Leclair

Power Forward

Thats my pick, what do you think?

Honestly, Colborne i dunno because of the money issue, Deschamps would be not bad, but im going a little off and say the habs are going to pick Greg Nemisz

centre, 6'3 197 lbs

shoots R

Power Forward

It isn't far off..... I just don't think he'll be there at 25.

centre, 6'3 197 lbs

shoots R

Power Forward

He had a good year for the Spitfires 34 goals and 33 assists. He is the type of player that should be available if Defenseman drafting is crazy early on.