2008 Habs Draft thread

MAK

Yeah, big boys from the Golden Horseshoe don't usually stay around. I still really like Gustafsson and hope no one jumps the gun and he's available. He seems like a low risk, high reward type. He may not ever be a dominating player, but he could very easily turn into a good, smart, coachable 2nd line centre with good size to boot. He could be our best 20-something pickup since Koivu, IMO.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning i was kind of pis*ed to see an article about Philippe Cornet in the Journal de Montréal.

Two players were my sleeper in there but hey if it can push Habs scouts toward Rimouski why not, i imagine

they have seen them since they Fortier is already in Rimouski.

I consider Cornet a sleeper in the draft and would be a steal at 86th ranked 80th NA. He had such a good season ending and

great play in playoffs to defeat Baie-Comeau. Good two way with a scoring touch. He was a first round second overall at the Q draft in 2006. Talent as alway been there, he is a centre, fairly good size 6.0f, 180 pound. He had great playoffs just like Patrice Cormier.

Patrice Cormier drafted 5th overall the same year in the Q with Rimouski is also a sleeper there at NA 56th he is 6.1f 200 pounds

was injured the major part of the year and had strong playoffs.

These two players will be the cornerstone of the Oceanic at the Memorial Cup this year and Rimouski is on paper on full development to have a great year.

boy oh boy I'm pumped. this is christmas for me. anybody else going ??

Edited by marky_and_komi

He will keep the pick. Montreal needs centers and goalies to start stocking the system again. One thing I trust now is the Habs scouting and picks in drafts.

He may well keep the pick. But he did suggest in the press conference that he was willing to move the pick in order to get that elusive impact forward. I agree that you need to maintain a great minor-league talent pipeline, but the Habs also have a fairly pressing need - at C in particular - that shows no signs of being solved from within. The 25th overall pick isn't likely to bag you the answer to that problem. We're no longer in rebuilding mode, so it's time to consider such moves for sure.

If you think about it, trading the 25th oa for a centre who we'll have for at least 2 seasons (or more) moves us ahead in the centerman pipeline.

Gainey has traded the 25th pick for...unknown. Confirmed by CKAC

CKAC - Bob traded the 25th pick confirmed - We don't know for what yet

Calice, the suspense is killing me. C'mon Bob, deliver Sundin!!!

I like what Bettman did there. He gets booed coming out, says "Hello Ottawa, I love your passion." Then in his speech acknowledges the crowd for their warm welcome, and winks.

No matter what you think of him, that was pretty funny.

Lots of great players still on the board. Hopefully the Nucks can snag one of them at 41. So exciting! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DRAFTED HODGSON!?!?!? They actually did something right for once. The guy I wanted and I can't believe it.

I know it's a Habs draft thread but well... yeah. Congrats on getting Tanger as I can now start liking him again(was my favourite player before he went to Cowtown....blah). ^_^

What an excellent first day.

Deschamps went to Anaheim at 35. Ah well, we'll see who we get at 56!

Danny Kristo. RW from the US National Development team. 5'11 and 172 lbs

DANNY KRISTO Jun 18, 1990 EDINA, MN US 5' 11" 172 USDP USA U-18 RW

From TSN: One of the better skates in the draft, scouts like the young American's effort and rate him as a solid second-rounder.

From NHL Central Scouting: Danny is a strong kid, but not a very big, physical kid. He has very quick feet and he's very smart. He's clever with the puck, he can set people up and he can finish. Sometimes he can take himself away from his best assets - thinking and skating and using his hands – and he tries to knock big guys down and he physically can't, but he's got that bite to his game.

DANNY KRISTO Jun 18, 1990 EDINA, MN US 5' 11" 172 USDP USA U-18 RW

From TSN: One of the better skates in the draft, scouts like the young American's effort and rate him as a solid second-rounder.

From NHL Central Scouting: Danny is a strong kid, but not a very big, physical kid. He has very quick feet and he's very smart. He's clever with the puck, he can set people up and he can finish. Sometimes he can take himself away from his best assets - thinking and skating and using his hands – and he tries to knock big guys down and he physically can't, but he's got that bite to his game.

By all accounts a good pick to make in the later part of the 2nd.