Blake Wheeler rejects the 'yotes' offer

MAK

From the hockey news

PHOENIX COYOTES-Announced C Blake Wheeler has rejected a contract offer, making him a free agent.

Montreal should really make a pitch for him.

he's big, he scores and he's right handed. further more: he wouldn't cost us a pick.

his stats

Edited by marky_and_komi

I don't think he want's to come to Montreal ... reason being is he rejected a contract that would be more than he can make in the open market. He was drafted the year before the lockout. Now I believe he's subject to the CBA rookie cap now. I'm pretty sure he wants to play somewhere like Minnesota ( his home town ) ... not Pheonix

I don't think he want's to come to Montreal ... reason being is he rejected a contract that would be more than he can make in the open market. He was drafted the year before the lockout. Now I believe he's subject to the CBA rookie cap now. I'm pretty sure he wants to play somewhere like Minnesota ( his home town ) ... not Pheonix

The problem for Wheeler is he wants top 6 ice time and in the desert he isn't a lock for it with all the youth they have right now.

Montreal could give him the ice time assuming Ryder doesn't come back, but then what do we do with either Higgins or S. Kostitsyn on the Koivu line?

I don't think it's the guaranteed minutes that Wheeler is seeking. It looks more like he's mesmerized with him being able to select where he plays.

Cali is right though, I think it's going to be in Minnesota.

I don't think it's the guaranteed minutes that Wheeler is seeking. It looks more like he's mesmerized with him being able to select where he plays.

Cali is right though, I think it's going to be in Minnesota.

He was drafted out of high school in Minnesota and I believe he went to the U of Minnesota ... so I think it's a pretty good guess ! haha.

To Habit - I think he has just a good chance of cracking the Yotes top 6 as any other team ... No matter where he goes to play, he's going to have to earn that right to play top 6 minutes. Or he'll get top 6 minutes in the AHL

Edited by CaliHabsFan

Well the irony in all this is that if there was an NHL team that Wheeler could have no problem cracking the line up, it's Phoenix. They have a whole bunch of spots pegged for rookies next season.

To Habit - I think he has just a good chance of cracking the Yotes top 6 as any other team ... No matter where he goes to play, he's going to have to earn that right to play top 6 minutes. Or he'll get top 6 minutes in the AHL

I agree, but you have to take into consideration what his family and agent could be barking in his ear on the side.

Wasn't Wheeler a huge reach anyway? Like one of Thomas Hickey proportions?

Seems it went to his head. Still wouldn't mind him joining the Avs though.

He was a huge reach but the kid's got talent and there's no denying it. I think it's rather obvious his intentions are to play for the Wild and he doesn't want to play in Phoenix. It could also be a result of the agent giving the kid bad advice. From the sounds of it, Phoenix offered him a solid contract and he just declined which is telling you he has no intentions of playing there. Or some other whacky ideas but I'll wait it out and see what he decides.

Solid contract? He got offered the best deal possible. Max rookie salary with all the bonuses.

I know. I guess I didn't really make it sound that way though so I apologize for my poorly worded sentence.

The crazy idea? He tries UFA and the Coyotes grab the 35th pick in the draft and afterwards sign Wheeler.

:lol:

Solid contract? He got offered the best deal possible. Max rookie salary with all the bonuses.

Acutally better than any rookie can get now ... because he was drafted in 04 ... before the lockout and the new CBA took place.

thought the Habs had first dibs on all youngsters from the Gopher State ^_^

are we about ready for a Habs UFA speculation thread?

• 3 weeks later...

The Bruins are wheeling, it appears they just signed Wheeler who wanted to play with his

friend Kessel.

Link ? RDS.

This team is going to be a tough one to beat.

With Bergeron, Kobasew return next year.

+ Wheeler, Rask and Zach Hamill as top prospects