Sundin.....any thoughts

Harp77

Hey fans! Nice to be back!

Heard from a very reliable source here in Ontario, actually is Bill Waters, mentioned that the chances of Sundin playing next season with either NYR or MTL is very strong as opposed to him joining back with the Maple Laughs. Apparently he was close to coming here at the trade deadline for a few players, notably Higgs.

Just wondering what everyone feels if he does come to Mtl.

I think him playing on a line with Saks and Kovalev would be great! We need a big centre. Lets get him Gainey!

:clap:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sundin for 1-2 years is the best possible available scenario. I just don't see how we can lose. He is the answer to our biggest two problems, namely the lack of a big, powerhouse centreman, and (more generally) the need for another elite forward. He also brings experience and leadership up the yin yang.

What worries me is that Mats will choose either Detroit or NYR. Detroit will be tempting because they will have just won the Cup; but if he thinks clearly, he will realize that teams hardly ever win two in a row any more, and he'd be better to gamble on the young up-and-comers under the circumstances. New York is harder to refute, but I'm not sure about their cap space given the raft of signings from last season, plus Jagr. Bottom line: I'm afraid he'll go with Detroit in particular, although I believe it would be a mistake on his part.

Offer him 10m. Overpay for a year or two, it won't screw us up, and he is that good.

Sundin would play with Kovalev and who, probably Andrei K, no?

Anyways, I presume everyone is watching the finals, and everyone has come to the obvious conclusion of don't get Hossa.

If he accepts for about 6 million, for max 2 years, and can accept being an assistant captain... I'm all for it.

mixed feelings on this would be weird for sure to see the leaf's captain in a habs' uniform like messing with balance in the hockey universe

mixed feelings on this would be weird for sure to see the leaf's captain in a habs' uniform like messing with balance in the hockey universe

and an ex-Nordiques !!

dont put too much emphasis on that. nobody complained when gilmour came to the rescue.

If he accepts for about 6 million, for max 2 years, and can accept being an assistant captain... I'm all for it.

$6mill wont cut it. He was underpaid by the Laughs and will get $8mill from any other team of his chosing.

A two year $8mill per year contract will be max as he may not even want to play after one more year. He may even retire this year so who knows.............

I'm not sure about the co-captain thing with Sundin if he were to ever sign with the Habs.

There was enough people already pushing to keep Kovalev as the captain for that stint he was wearing the C. All those comments were pretty much taken back once Koivu came into the playoffs and massively elevated his game.

Moral of the story, this is Saku's team and will continue to be Saku's team until he's gone from the team.

Heres a thought: lets do something crazy and make a trade with Toronto: Captain for Captain. :clap:

that dont make sense, we still got to sign him.....

Heres a thought: lets do something crazy and make a trade with Toronto: Captain for Captain. :clap:

As much as Saku aggravates me from time to time during the season, I'd never want to see him suffer such a horrible fate...he deserves better than to have the filthy Maple Leaf touch his chest. Besides, he has a no-trade clause, so it's not even a possibility.

I don't think "crazy" begins to describe what a bad move that would be. We'd be throwing away Koivu for the exclusive right to negotiate with Sundin for 1 month. If he is willing to come here, we'll get our chance to sign him 31 days from now.

As much as Saku aggravates me from time to time during the season, I'd never want to see him suffer such a horrible fate...he deserves better than to have the filthy Maple Leaf touch his chest. Besides, he has a no-trade clause, so it's not even a possibility.

Know what? I always felt the Fins more than any other group of Europeans played Canadian

type hockey.

When the Fins take the ice at any major event, Saku is one of their leaders.

He's been a HABS playoff warrior.

He deserves some respect !!!!!

We need to re-sign him.

Sundin is the best player available but he doesn't fit into our team at all. I'd rather sign Rolston, Shanahan or other guys of that level, we don't need a franchise player (our team is actually built around that idea).