Roster Predictions for the 2008/2009 Season

l<OV4L3V

It may be early to determine who makes the Canadiens next year and who doesn't, but lets have a contest and see who is most accurate in all three predictions.

My prediction for the Habs roster 08/09

A. Kost-Pleks-Kovy

Higgins-Sundin-Latendresse

D'Agostini-Koivu-S.Kost

Kosto-Begin-Stewart

Markov-Komi

Hamrlik-Gorges

Emelin-Obyrne

Cube?

Price

Halak?

Habs Finish 2nd in the east with 101 points

Habs win the Cup (major expectations)

Lapierre gone to AHL

Streit leaves as UFA (unless he signs for less)

Ryder leaves as UFA

Dandenault gone

Smoke retires

Sorry, posted twice can a mod plz delete the other thread thanks

Edited by l<OV4L3V

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. Kost-Pleks-Kovy

D'Agostini-Koivu-S.Kost

Kosto-Begin-Stewart

Markov-Komi

Hamrlik-Gorges

Emelin-Obyrne

Cube?

Price

Halak?

Lapierre gone to AHL

firt of all, Lapierre can't be sent back donw unless he goes through the waivers and would be picked up right away. moot point since he's nhl bound next year. could be a force as a winger on the third line.

My only sleeper is Latendresse, he could be sent down if he does have a good camp. IMO It would do him wonders..hey, if they sent Price down I don't see why Guillaume couldn't go.

I expect Chipchura to make it before D'Agostini and stewart. he only played one game and people think that he's NHL ready..give the guy some time, he should be here long term by the end of the season or at least be a call up.

Emelin as a year left on is contract in russia, I don't think that gainey will reel him in this summer. I think his dad is his russian club coach( or was). It could be a long stretch but I feel that Brisebois will be back. if not we'll see Carle or Valentenko.

as for season predictions, It's too early. I'll wait after july5th.

My prediction for the Habs roster 08/09

A. Kost-Pleks-Kovy

D'Agostini-Koivu-S.Kost

Kosto-Begin-Stewart

Markov-Komi

Hamrlik-Gorges

Emelin-Obyrne

Cube?

Price

Halak?

I like your line up. Might need some tweaks here and there considering Emelin is stuck in another year in Russia and there's no way to get him out (confirmed by Trevor Timmins). Timmins told Emelin pretty clearly not to sign anymore deals to play in Russia so the Habs can pry him over to North America after next season.

If the Habs don't opt to keep Brisebois (which is highly unlikely if Streit's gone), I'd peg down Valentenko for a #7 defender spot but Gainey has always shown he likes to get the vets for that spot.

Aside that the only other stuff I'd change is D'Agostini who could use more seasoning in the AHL and Stewart whom is most likely going down to the ECHL if he can't hold down an AHL job. I'd replace those two with Lapierre and Chipchura.

Another thing is that the Habs brass made it clear they're going with Halak next season. They want Halak to challenge for Carey's #1 job so moving him isn't an option right now until Price is the clear cut winner (i.e.: playing 65+ games a season).

My extra forwards would be Dandenault and/or Grabovski.

Latendresse-Sundin-Kovalev

A.Kostitsyn-Plekanec-S.Kostitsyn

Higgins-Koivu-Lapierre

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopolous

Stewart/Kosto like UFA

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Gorges

Valentenko

Price/Halak

:hlogo:

Edited by The-Habby2919

Emelin is stuck in another year in Russia and there's no way to get him out

I thought that according to Russian labour law, all a player has to do is give two weeks' written notice to his team and he can walk?

Edited by sbhatt

I believe they 'hot fixed' that law after players started bolting for the NHL, not 100% on this though.

They did fix it.

This ruling took effect on Jan 1st 2008. Gone are the rights of "two weeks notice" for hockey players.

Even if Emelin had found a way to leave Russia for North America, he made it pretty clear he wanted to honor his contract. I know it sucks for Habs fan but he ain't complaining considering the nice chunk of money he's making down there.

Higgins-Koivu-Lapierre

Stewart/Kosto like UFA

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Gorges

Valentenko

Price/Halak

That is a very large first line. I like this line-up.

Also, Guillaume is now also eligible for waivers, having used up his waiver exemption due to NHL games played. He could've been sent down mid-season, but after staying all year on the NHL roster, he is now ineligible.

Players who aren't subject to waivers on the Habs for 2008-09 who played at least 1 game last year:

Sergei Kostitsyn, Carey Price, Kyle Chipchura, Matt D'Agostini, Greg Stewart.

Mikhail Grabovski, Maxim Lapierre, Guillaume Latendresse, Jaroslav Halak, and Ryan O'Byrne will all lose their waiver exempt status.

Actually, I think the rules are slightly different for goalies, so Halak may still be exempt, but I can't confirm that. I know that Yann Danis got an additional year of waiver exemption for us than what I thought he would get, but that may have been a weird lockout provision like how Andrei Kostitsyn's 3 year entry level contract didn't start until 2005-06 despite spending the 2004-05 season in Hamilton after signing his contract in the summer of 2004.

I have a small idea of who we might acquire as a UFA, but have no idea of who might want to sign with us, so I don't speculate on that. Here are my thoughts on who we currently have rights to:

Dandenault: I'm not 100% on this, but I have heard that there is a limit of 3 buyout candidates over the 7 year term of the CBA. I'm not sure how this works, but we bought out 2 players last year, so it is possible we're down to our last buyout candidate. If that's the case, I'd save that for someone else and not Dandy. So what to do? Try to trade him. If that fails, waive him, and see if someone picks him up at full salary. If that doesn't work, put him on re-entry waivers and see if someone takes him for half the cost. If all those don't work, well, bring a hopefully motivated player to camp and have him battle for a spot again. If it isn't the case that we're down to our last buyout of the CBA term, then look at the buyout option as the classiest move for him and wish him luck on pursuing another job somehwere.

Streit: I'm not sure about his future with us because I'm still unsure about his value to us in monetary terms. He's versatile, yes, but he's not a big minute player in any capacity except the PP. People say they like him at forward, but I don't think he's that effective there. I think he's better at his natural position of defence, but we actually have more depth on D than at forward and he gets put there as a consequence of that. I wish Streit had shown he could do more on D than he did... he showed he could be a regular D on a 3rd pairing in the NHL, but he needed to show more because Gorges and O'Byrne also showed they could do that and have the potential to do more than just that. We need I think another puckmoving D back there, and Streit fits that bill, but there are 6 guys ahead of him here. So how much is he worth to us? Tough call, but I worry about his contract. Part of me says wait it out for a year until Carle and Subban are more ready for the big roles.

Brisebois: This is the backup plan. If Streit costs too much, then bringing Brisebois back for another year as an insurance plan isn't a horrible idea. Guys like Carle and Valentenko need to play consistently, so keeping them around as the 7th or 8th guy makes little sense. If they can't crack the top 6, send them to Hamilton (although Valentenko may have Russian offers he'd consider if he feels frustrated with going back to the AHL). Patrice is a good teammate and showed a lot of character this year, first simply by coming back, second by waiting his turn, and third by playing unexpectedly strong in the playoffs when some younger players struggled.

Ryder: Gone. Little explaination required here. Hope he does well wherever he lands, preferably out west.

Smolinski: I won't 100% close the door on him, but I see little reason to bring him back. He had a good playoff, but I do think he was a stop-gap measure. I wouldn't consider offering him a contract until after July 1, though. If the team strikes out on a centre (like Sundin) then he could be a fall back option again if the team isn't ready to go with Chipchura full time. Of course, he might have a new team by the time we figure that out but that's not a huge loss to overcome so you might as well risk all those scenarios.

Grabovski: I think I'm the only one around here still willing to give this guy a chance. I hope he realizes that he has a chance to make this team full time and could earn himself some good money long term rather than return to Russia now and likely plateau his earnings over there at a lower level. If it doesn't work out in 2008-09 for him, then he should feel free to go to the KHL. But I hope he gives it a shot. He's very highly skilled even if he hasn't made this team yet.

Lapierre: He's on this team. No doubt about it. Whether as a centre or a winger, he's there.

Chipchura: I have no idea if he's ready for full time duty. He looked great for a while when he started, and then kind of plateaued and regressed so it's conceivable that he's ready now, but it's also conceivable he shouldn't be rushed. There is a potential 4th line spot for him.

Carle/Valentenko: I said earlier that it's crack the Top 6 or nothing for them. I see them as injury callups right now but that could change quickly with an early injury to a regular.

O'Byrne: Continued growth to solidify the top 6 spot he's been battling for since last fall. It generally takes some time for the bigger guys to really improve as NHLers but when they do, it seems like an overnight success because of how sudden it comes.

D'Aogstini/Stewart: Potential there for a spot, but it'll depend more on what the team does UFA wise and with Streit. They should be extra motivated with there late season callup to push for a spot for sure.

Latendresse: Time to put him into a scoring role. It'll be his contract year, he's paid his dues and he's improved his skating. Plus, we need a guy like him to battle around the net, both in front and behind like he can. We've been waiting for him to break out, and I think we should give him that opportuntiy.

Higgins: He'd be the guy that drops from a scoring role with Lats moving up. I still don't know if we have the personnel to ice a really good checking line yet, but I see Higgins as the go-to-guy in that regard. And eventually, he can be a very good two-way player for us... think like a poor man's Zetterberg or even Drury. In fact, if we strike out on the UFA centres, converting Chris to centre could be a project for the year.

Ideally my team has 2 very skilled scoring lines and a checking line that can beat you at both ends of the rink, augmented by a 4th line that can play strong minutes and keeps the legs fresh. The ideal really is something like the Red Wings. We may not have the bodies to do that quite yet, but we should strive for it to be like that in time. If we don't quite reach there yet, it may make sense to ice 3 offensive lines with a guy like Grabovski playing a role in that. It's so tough to see where we'll end up so it's good to have a multitude of plans as a result.

How to build a team that can go one step ahead??

It all starts in the goal.

Price

Kolzig UFA

Komo-Markov

Zidlicky-Hammer

Gorges-Cube(Valentenko)

A Kost Plek Kovy

Higgins Langkow(UFA) S Kost

*Torres-Koivu-Latendresse

Bégin-Lapierre-Kosto

I liked Habby2919, that is a decent line up with Sundin added to the line up. I actually didn't know Emelin couldn't come over. The D does need an improvement, I think O'Byrne is a lock. They need to upgrade the Bouillon spot. Maybe a vet as #7 limited role. As others stated Valentenko and others wouldn't learn much riding the bench.

I'm sure BG will go after 1 of either

Sundin

Hossa

Maybe Shannahan (who could fill RW spot on the 3rd or forst line depending on combos.

I don't expect more then 1 player and maybe a secondary move like Brisbois last year.

Well if Bob doesn't land a big name he's obviously going to do like this past UFA season and get some depth (i.e.: a top six or top nine forward) to be able to roll 3 solid lines.

I want to include Sundin in this line up but I honestly can't see where he fits. Well, more accurately, he could fit with probably any of our talented wingers, but where does that leave Pleks and Koivu? Pleks is obviously extremely talented and many people saw him as our number 1 centre, but remember it is in large part due to who he was playing with. It's been made clear the last 2 years that Carbo wants to keep Koivu and Kovalev seperate (barring extreme circumstances) since they both have a similar style of play in that they both like to carry the puck into the offensive zone. So obviously when Koivu was considered our hands-down best player, his line was considered tops. But now, since Kovalev is hands-down our best player, any line that he's on is considered tops. So that basically leaves us one two potential first lines, depending on the performances of Kovalev and Koivu. I'm a major Pleks fan and all but I think the main reason he was considered our top line centre is because he played with our best player and was made that much better by him.

So if we have these 3 centers, who is considered top? All three have a case. Firstly, there's Koivu. I want to say to all his haters (why are there so many) that I don't buy for a second he is only good enough to be a 3rd line centre. Sorry, but that's complete bull. He's the captain, he puts up the big numbers and even when he doesn't he competes nightly. This guy is definitely one of the elite centers of the game (maybe not on the level of the Crosby's and such, but 3rd line? What a joke.)

Pleks, like I said, saw a lot of success do to his chemistry of Kovalev, but I honestly can't see Carbo splitting up that pair even if Sundin is brought in. I think that's the monkey wrench in the whole scenerio, that Pleks is most likely to play with our (proven) best player again. So does that make that line our top line again by default?

Then, Sundin, who just might be our best player if he shows up. Who do you put him with to start? Do you insert him with Kovalev and break up our best line? Stick him with Koivu's line? Then where does Koivu go? Playing on a 3rd 'depth' line with the likes of Lats and Streit where his production will be minimized? Any way you spin it, one of these 3 centers won't be playing with who they should be. Not to mention, Chipchura and Lapierre both deserve a shot, I think.

So, with that in mind, I would go for Hossa or another offensive winger to compliment Koivu.

Higgins - Koivu - Hossa

A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

S. Kostitsyn - Chipchura - Streit

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopolous

Komisarek - Markov

Hamrlik - Valetenko

Bouillon - O'Byrne

Price/Halak

(Gorges, Latendresse)

The only slot I could see Latendresse filling would be in place of Begin or Kosto, but both are such high energy players, ideal 4th liners. Lats doesn't bring enough grind to his play to play on the 4th line. One thing that could happen is that Streit won't resign unless he can play D, which would open up a nice spot for Lats (albeit a spot I would much rather see Streit in).

Edited by ForumGhost

Price

Kolzig UFA

Komo-Markov

Zidlicky-Hammer

Gorges-Cube(Valentenko)

A Kost Plek Kovy

Higgins Langkow(UFA) S Kost

*Torres-Koivu-Latendresse

Bégin-Lapierre-Kosto

I really like this lineup minus langkov...however i love Torres...he would be a ryder type addition with much more grit!!

Zidlicky is also a very responsible and offensive minded D man..if he is available for the right cost by all means ink him down!

Sergei on a strictly defensive third line?

Yeh, I'd rather see Higgy there instead.

Sergei on a strictly defensive third line?

I see it as a scoring depth line. Chipchura is not a purely offensive player but he is smart, and smart players make smart passes. Streit is a good production player.

I like Sergei and I think he will develop into a skilled offensive player, but I can't see him dethroning Hossa, Kovalev or Andrei from their spots. Higgins is a question mark. If he continues to struggle, I would give his spot to Sergei for a while to help him develop, but if Higgins can find his scoring touch again, he's a lock for a top 6 spot. Remember that magical run to the playoffs after they dumped Julien? He was scoring like 2 goals a night. Might not have been his best season this year, but he easily has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer, maybe more if he can really turn it up. Sergei, Koivu and Higgins are all offensive players but for some reason I didn't think they clicked as a line this past year. Gotta shake it up.

Plus, it's not like he didn't score 27 goals this season or anything. :P

Edited by ForumGhost

I'm liking the Hossa idea a little more now ... yes Sundin is a great player and i'm sure any habs fan would love to have him on the team as well. If Chipchura is ready for that 3rd line role then Sundin won't help as much as Hossa.

I like ForumGhost's idea he's got going there but this is how I would like to see it

AK, Plecks, Kovy

Higgins, Koivu, Hossa

Lats, Chips, SK

Begin, Laps, TK

EX = Grabs, DandiNO

Markov, Komi

Hammer, Steit

Gorges, O'Byrne

EX = Bouillion

Price

Halak

3 solid scoring lines with a good bang and crash line ..

4th line is the shut down line if need be as well as the crash in your face line.

3rd line is good defensively but would still be considered a scoring line. I like having SK's speed and paly making ability with a guy that will crash the net and a big centre that's defensivly responsible. It would also give Lats a chance to push more offensively with those two.

2nd line is pure speed, make a couple moves and get it to the net.

1st line is what we saw before .. puck control and playmaking.

Edited by CaliHabsFan

Maybe Shannahan (who could fill RW spot on the 3rd or forst line depending on combos.

Shanahan can go snif my jock strap. he had a good offer to come here and passed. I don't think he would be of any help.

I really like this lineup minus langkov...however i love Torres...he would be a ryder type addition with much more grit!!

Zidlicky is also a very responsible and offensive minded D man..if he is available for the right cost by all means ink him down!

Yep Zidlicky would have to be acquired by trade and he could be available.

Hamhuis is their number 1 D now and Suter-Weber are in for a lot more money as RFA's

They need a goalie and a top nine forward.

Torres would come cheaper. He had injuries, and Edmonton have too many look alike players.

They are ready to unload him for a prospect.

Higgins-Koivu-Lapierre

Stewart/Kosto like UFA

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Gorges

Valentenko

Price/Halak

If this ever happens and vets geting along together, i can smell the Cup...

AK, Plecks, Kovy

Higgins, Koivu, Hossa

Lats, Chips, SK

Begin, Laps, TK

Markov, Komi

Hammer, Steit

Soup, O'Byrne

Price

Halak

This is my favourite lineup so far though I have no idea who Soup is. Is it Gorges?

Shows how much better things click when we bring in a winger instead of a centre.

This is my favourite lineup so far though I have no idea who Soup is. Is it Gorges?

Shows how much better things click when we bring in a winger instead of a centre.

Could Soup be the nickname for Bouillon?