Roster Predictions for the 2008/2009 Season

l<OV4L3V

If this ever happens and vets geting along together, i can smell the Cup...

It's impressive, all right. But even so, surely Pittsburgh has to be considered the odds-on favourites next season? :(

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impressive, all right. But even so, surely Pittsburgh has to be considered the odds-on favourites next season? :(

Just like Ottawa was this past season? ;)

Pittsburgh won't be able to keep the current team together, but you have to respect any team with Crosby and Malkin.

Just like Ottawa was this past season? ;)

Pittsburgh won't be able to keep the current team together, but you have to respect any team with Crosby and Malkin.

Hossa was a big part of their deep playoff run this year. Without Hossa in their lineup, they aren't nearly as scary.

Hossa was a big part of their deep playoff run this year. Without Hossa in their lineup, they aren't nearly as scary.

Hee hee...OK, but I sure hope you aren't one of the guys arguing that we shouldn't sign Hossa because he "sucks during the playoffs" :lol:

Point taken, though, in general terms. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that that team will not compensate in experience for what it loses in sheer talent this summer. Unlike Ottawa, they also have a very strong goalie and no history of crapping out.

Then again, apart from the Rangers, Pittburgh basically sailed through the first three rounds playing against crapola opponents. Philly was a middling team who only beat us because of our mysterious case of "hit-the-goalpost-and-miss-the-net" disease and because Carey Price completely melted down (gross inexperience, in other words); and Ottawa was begging to be put out of its misery. When Pittburgh finally came up against a really strong club, they got utterly dominated. So perhaps that suggests they're not "all that."

(Then again they came within one goal of forcing Game 7 against a team that dominated them in every facet of the game except goaltending for the entire series. Hmmm....)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

This is my favourite lineup so far though I have no idea who Soup is. Is it Gorges?

Shows how much better things click when we bring in a winger instead of a centre.

I knew I was forgeting someone :wacko: ... And Gorges played so well too. Now come to think of it I'd rather have Gorges with O'byrne and "soup" as the 7th d-man.

Yes Soup is Bouillion I used call him that for the longest time.

Hee hee...OK, but I sure hope you aren't one of the guys arguing that we shouldn't sign Hossa because he "sucks during the playoffs" :lol:

Point taken, though, in general terms. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that that team will not compensate in experience for what it loses in sheer talent this summer. Unlike Ottawa, they also have a very strong goalie and no history of crapping out.

Then again, apart from the Rangers, Pittburgh basically sailed through the first three rounds playing against crapola opponents. Philly was a middling team who only beat us because of our mysterious case of "hit-the-goalpost-and-miss-the-net" disease and because Carey Price completely melted down (gross inexperience, in other words); and Ottawa was begging to be put out of its misery. When Pittburgh finally came up against a really strong club, they got utterly dominated. So perhaps that suggests they're not "all that."

(Then again they came within one goal of forcing Game 7 against a team that dominated them in every facet of the game except goaltending for the entire series. Hmmm....)

Two words. Chris Osgood.

I used to always believe that you could not win a Cup without great goaltending and the Wings have now done it twice with Osgood, destroying the whole premise.

What would that series have resembled had you flipped the two goaltenders? Osgood was tested 4-5 times per game while Fleury was under duress for 7-8 minute stretches

at a time. Pittsburgh never had a chance in that series. Therrien realized it after game 2 and tried to play shut down hockey just to compete.

If they make the wrong decision and try to keep Malkin, that team will suffer the same fate as the Lightning. If he wants 11M then they have to show him the door.

Lets see if Shero has the nuts to make the right decision and turn Malkin into a couple of cheaper great young assets and picks. The days of drafting a strong core and

watching them all grow together are gone. Shero needs to choose between Crosby/Malkin and build the core around him. Crosby is the choice IMO, so I would ticket Malkin's

$$ to shore up the areas that they feel will take them to the next level.

If Pittsburgh makes shrewd talent assesments and the right choices the Habs will have a lot of trouble on their hands in the next 5-6 years. Seeing as Shero had the balls to

pull the Hossa deal, I think the possibility exists he does the smart thing.

I used to always believe that you could not win a Cup without great goaltending and the Wings have now done it twice with Osgood, destroying the whole premise.

What about Edmonton with Grant Fuhr in the 80's? I don't think Fuhr ever had a G.A.A. under 3.70...which even in the 80's was not that great!

Edited by Habsfan

Two words. Chris Osgood.

What would that series have resembled had you flipped the two goaltenders? Osgood was tested 4-5 times per game while Fleury was under duress for 7-8 minute stretches

at a time. Pittsburgh never had a chance in that series. Therrien realized it after game 2 and tried to play shut down hockey just to compete.

If they make the wrong decision and try to keep Malkin, that team will suffer the same fate as the Lightning. If he wants 11M then they have to show him the door.

Lets see if Shero has the nuts to make the right decision and turn Malkin into a couple of cheaper great young assets and picks. The days of drafting a strong core and

watching them all grow together are gone. Shero needs to choose between Crosby/Malkin and build the core around him. Crosby is the choice IMO, so I would ticket Malkin's

$$ to shore up the areas that they feel will take them to the next level.

If Pittsburgh makes shrewd talent assesments and the right choices the Habs will have a lot of trouble on their hands in the next 5-6 years. Seeing as Shero had the balls to

pull the Hossa deal, I think the possibility exists he does the smart thing.

Oh, I agree. For all the praise he's getting, Osgood was the main reason the series wasn't a sweep - and for God's sake, he bobbled the puck at the last second and nearly cost them Game 6! The fact is that Detroit had to be twice as good as their opponents to win, because their goalie was basically half as good...which shows you what a truly remarkable team that is. And it also explains why Osgood is the exception to your rule that you need excellent goaltending to win. Few Cup champs are *that* much better than their opponents.

You may also be right in your assessment of what Pittburgh needs to do. Then again, TB kept THREE high-salary players (plus Boyle), AND cut their star goalie loose - in an era with a smaller cap. It might be possible for Pittburgh to keep both Malkin and Crosby and Fleury, at least for a while, without failling into that trap...but I don't know enough about their contractual situation to say for sure. One thing I AM confident about is the Canadiens' drafting: unlike Pittsburgh, we have not benefitted from draft lottery victories. Can Pittburgh, as an organization, compete with the Habs' sheer depth, in the event that they do lose Malkin? Not sure, but at face value I'd say that we might have the best overall depth in hockey after the unbelievable Red Wings. Over time that will surely work to our advantage over all comers. I'm just not sure that next year is *the year.*

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Oh, I agree. For all the praise he's getting, Osgood was the main reason the series wasn't a sweep - and for God's sake, he bobbled the puck at the last second and nearly cost them Game 6! The fact is that Detroit had to be twice as good as their opponents to win, because their goalie was basically half as good...which shows you what a truly remarkable team that is. And it also explains why Osgood is the exception to your rule that you need excellent goaltending to win. Few Cup champs are *that* much better than their opponents.

You may also be right in your assessment of what Pittburgh needs to do. Then again, TB kept THREE high-salary players (plus Boyle), AND cut their star goalie loose - in an era with a smaller cap. It might be possible for Pittburgh to keep both Malkin and Crosby and Fleury, at least for a while, without failling into that trap...but I don't know enough about their contractual situation to say for sure. One thing I AM confident about is the Canadiens' drafting: unlike Pittsburgh, we have not benefitted from draft lottery victories. Can Pittburgh, as an organization, compete with the Habs' sheer depth, in the event that they do lose Malkin? Not sure, but at face value I'd say that we might have the best overall depth in hockey after the unbelievable Red Wings. Over time that will surely work to our advantage over all comers. I'm just not sure that next year is *the year.*

Well Tampa Bay was paying 21M for 3 players and Pittsburgh will be paying Crosby/Malkin close to 20M per for 2.

Add in 5-6M for Fleury, 5M for Gonchar, 4M for Whitney and they Pens are at 35M per season for 5 guys.

Tampa Bay was paying 27M for 4 players and if they had resigned Khabibulin for 7M would have been at around the same level.

The Lightning made the right choice to let Khabibulin walk, they just never had a plan to adequately replace him.

The Pens could keep the core together and remain competitive, but if their goal is the Cup then they need to trade Malkin.

A 22 year old player who is a Finalist for the Hart trophy would return cap space and a ton of assets. Will they get equal value back?

Probably not, but 80% return with 2-3 young players would make them REAL contenders, not the fancy one on paper that the experts

will fall in love with. The Pens still need to deal with Staal, Malone and players like Letang in the coming years. Not to mention Hossa.

I personally think that the Habs are in a better position than the Pens in the coming years. Goalies are notoriously underpaid so it is

an immediate advantage that their future franchise player will top out at 7M. Add in the glut of defensive prospects that will be hidden

on the lower tiers (2nd/3rd pairing) thus deflating their contract value and they will be able to keep a strong defensive presence for a

reasonable price. If they keep producing youth at this pace then they just have to identify their core early and lock them into 4-6M deals

and interchange the lower lines with their incoming prospects.

You cannot avoid regular turnover in the Cap age, so value signings like Kostopolous and strong drafting are an absolute must.

Be patient Bob, only pay 8-10M for legit franchise players and let guys like Briere and Hossa cripple somebody else.

Detroit won the Cup because their defense was essentially impenetrable. With the glut of D-men on the horizon and a 20 year old

franchise goalie in tow. I have a very good feeling about this team.

What about Edmonton with Grant Fuhr in the 80's? I don't think Fuhr ever had a G.A.A. under 3.70...which even in the 80's was not that great!

That GAA was more reflective of the team's style than Fuhr's ability. You'd be hard pressed to find many people who didn't think Fuhr was a top 3 goalie during that era.

The team played by the sword (wide open, firewagon hockey). Not every team did... and the Canadiens of the 80s, for example, definitely did not. Edmonton played to score the next goal... not to sit on a lead. That lead to a lot of chances against.

Plus, generally, Fuhr was considered a money goalie... as in, he'd make the saves when it counted most, on the biggest stages.

Yep, you cannot use 1980's stats to compare era's. It was a different time where the goalies relied on quickness and reflexes

and were hung out to dry 10 times a game.

Rewatch the 1987 Canada Cup and tell me the goaltending was poor. Every game ended 6-5.

Fuhr earned his Hall of Fame status

I'll put Sundin on the roster, because it makes me happy.

A. Kost - Sundin - Kovalev

S. Kost - Plex - D'Agostini

Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

Lapierre - Chipchura - Kostopolous

The main question mark, aside from the obvious uncertainty of Sundin, was D'Agostini's spot on the second or third line to round out our top 9. We'd have another lineup with lots of switching around, but that first line looks like it could produce a ton, and following it with two lines centred by Plex and Koivu is not shabby at all. And I'd have high hopes for that fourth line.

The defense won't change much:

Markov - Komi

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Gorges - Bouillon

Valentenko

I expect a few guys - hopefully Emelin - to get a shot in the 7th spot or to fill in for injuries.

If we are going to go far in the playoffs we need to get our D alot better. Lots of people say it was Price's bad play that made us lose against the flyers but I say it was our defence incapability of clearing the puck out of our own zone that cost us the whole serie. Sundin? Why would he sign with the arch-rival of the team of his heart? If Sundin returns playing hockey next season I bet u a million it will be back to the leafs. Sundin = Leafs or retirement.

Sundin = Leafs or retirement.

For some reason, I dont think your right in this case at all...Sundin is looking for one thing and one thing only to finish his career off...a Stanley Cup! Do you think he cares what leafs nation thinks of him? I highly doubt it...

Dandenault: I'm not 100% on this, but I have heard that there is a limit of 3 buyout candidates over the 7 year term of the CBA. I'm not sure how this works, but we bought out 2 players last year, so it is possible we're down to our last buyout candidate. If that's the case, I'd save that for someone else and not Dandy. So what to do? Try to trade him. If that fails, waive him, and see if someone picks him up at full salary. If that doesn't work, put him on re-entry waivers and see if someone takes him for half the cost. If all those don't work, well, bring a hopefully motivated player to camp and have him battle for a spot again. If it isn't the case that we're down to our last buyout of the CBA term, then look at the buyout option as the classiest move for him and wish him luck on pursuing another job somehwere.

About Dandeneault, if we can't trade or waive him, there's also one very easy option to send him down to Hamilton for the season, like we've seen in recent years with Gauthier, Nedved, McGillis, and other players that didn't fit anymore, and whose salary were a bit of a burden for a reserve role. In the minors, the Habs will be responsible for his salary, but it won't count towards the cap.

Personally, assuming we sign a significant forward (I'll use Markus Naslund as an example, but Koivu is rumored to be making another pitch ar Selanne... or it could be Sundin, Hossa... who knows), I see a lineuop similar to this:

Naslund-Koivu-A.Kostsitsyn

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev

Higgins-Chipchura-S.Kostsitsyn

Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Valentenko-(Bouillon/Gorges)

Price

Halak

Reserve: Grabovski, (Bouillon/Gorges), Dandeneault (assuming he stays)

Now this is what I think we should move towards to, however I'm guessing that the Bouillon/Gorges duo will be back (not bad, but a little limited while not giving us the chande to develop a young defenseman that could be a regular for years to come), also that Higgins will be back in the top 6 forward role (I really like Higgins, but we're asking to much from him), and probably that the Habs will again make a couple of stupid decisions like starting the season with Dandeneault and Brisebois in the lineup, or resigning Mark Streit (probably for too much and for too long) whom I feel is easily replaceable in our context (but he can help another team).

If we are going to go far in the playoffs we need to get our D alot better. Lots of people say it was Price's bad play that made us lose against the flyers but I say it was our defence incapability of clearing the puck out of our own zone that cost us the whole serie. Sundin? Why would he sign with the arch-rival of the team of his heart? If Sundin returns playing hockey next season I bet u a million it will be back to the leafs. Sundin = Leafs or retirement.

Team defence, sure, but not the defence position. We probably have the best D in the East, our team just has random moments where they leave players completely open. I think we all we need to do is allow O'Byrne, Gorges and any call ups the chance to improve. That would make our defence complete. What we need at forward is a guy like Bonk but with more speed and flair. Valteri Filppula might be a good choice.

Best D in the East? I'll beg to differ on that one. They were much improved this year, but the D zone let them down time and again in the playoffs.

They need more size and mobility back there, better passing and stop losing battles. They are definitely in the top half of the east.

Best D in the East? I'll beg to differ on that one. They were much improved this year, but the D zone let them down time and again in the playoffs.

They need more size and mobility back there, better passing and stop losing battles. They are definitely in the top half of the east.

There are a few better ones in the West but try naming one in the East... I think we kind of get the title by default.

There are a few better ones in the West but try naming one in the East... I think we kind of get the title by default.

Ottawa had the personnel but not the execution... Pittsburgh had a pretty good one, but when they lose Orpik that'll .

Really, everyone had holes in their D in the East, so saying you have the "best" you could easily turn in a poor performance and in a year be really exposed and feel massive changes need to be made (kind of like what Ottawa is experiencing this year as compared to last).

Lots of people crap on Grabovski, but I wouldn't be averse at all to seeing him in next season's starting lineup. I think he's more NHL-ready than D'Agostini. D'Agostini didn't have a very good season in Hamilton, in fact he regressed. Very poor plus/minus. Grabovski had something like 17 or 18 points is a 5 or 6 game stretch with the Bulldogs - I don't ever recall seeing any of our prospects pulling off something like that. Yes he's small, but the kid has got something.... he could be on the verge of really exploding (... or maybe not).

If we do happen to land Sundin, that makes for some very interesting line combos. We would have essentially, 3 "little guys" in our top 9 forward group - Koivu, Grabovski, and Plekanec. Best approach is to place one per line.

Grabovski, Sundin, Kovalev

A. Kost, Plekanec, S. Kost

Higgins, Koivu, Latendresse

I know, I know, "Grabovski on the first line???!!!!". But I say give him a try on the wing... sure he's small, but he'd be playing alongside two beasts.

Those are 3 pretty good, balanced scoring lines.

Lots of people crap on Grabovski, but I wouldn't be averse at all to seeing him in next season's starting lineup. I think he's more NHL-ready than D'Agostini. D'Agostini didn't have a very good season in Hamilton, in fact he regressed. Very poor plus/minus. Grabovski had something like 17 or 18 points is a 5 or 6 game stretch with the Bulldogs - I don't ever recall seeing any of our prospects pulling off something like that. Yes he's small, but the kid has got something.... he could be on the verge of really exploding (... or maybe not).

If we do happen to land Sundin, that makes for some very interesting line combos. We would have essentially, 3 "little guys" in our top 9 forward group - Koivu, Grabovski, and Plekanec. Best approach is to place one per line.

I know, I know, "Grabovski on the first line???!!!!". But I say give him a try on the wing... sure he's small, but he'd be playing alongside two beasts.

I like Grabs too, but "exploding" is a stretch. I see him as more likely to be an Oleg Petrov; but if all goes well he could become a second line C, probably on a weaker team rather than ours. Nonetheless, there's enough signs of serious offensive talent there to make me reluctant to be as quick to dismiss him as some people around here. Or maybe I just cheer for the little guys... ^_^

That's a good-looking top 9, I had forgotten about Grabs. You'd see him be switched back down for a Kost or Plex, and we'd easily have a top-tier first line with the equivalent of two quality second lines. We'd be like Philly, but better, with a stronger D and a goalie who can dominate. I think Koivu would assume more of the third centre role, and this may mean him seeing less of Higgins (I remember Higgins and Plex doing good things together a couple of years back). They should really just stick Koivu and Lats together for a whole season, I'm sure we'd see 20-25 from the kid. And if it is indeed Sundin and Kovy on our first line, I could see S Kost moving up there and complimenting them well. GODDAMMIT THAT WOULD KICK SO MUCH ASS!!!

I feel like it's in Grabs' own (long-term) interest to stay in the NHL rather than bolt to Russia, but that is a gamble for him.