Roster Predictions for the 2008/2009 Season

l<OV4L3V

We don't need a shutdown line and we don't have the personnel to make one even if we did. Begin-Chipchura-Lapierre would be a good fourth line and one that's solid defensively but they wouldn't hold up against the top offensive lines of the other teams. We'd be much better off just throwing all our attacking lines at them and have them try shutting us down.

I would say that at 2.5 mill per year it is so long to dandy. We don't need a 7th or 8th defence who can cover as the 13th or 14 forward and gets paid 2.5. He may want to check out a job in sportswriting since he would be spending a lot of time in the press box. :lol: get an early start on a new career. On the job training so to speak.

He makes 1.7 but it comes to the same thing.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we have added Tanguay and Laraque and lost Streit, Ryder and Smokes, a huge upgrade for many reasons. Firstly it instantly improves defense by removing two very weak defenders and also adding the intimidation factor of Laraque. Our other defenders can now be more aggressive as well.

Offense gets better because our players dont have to be afraid that dominating others with skill will bring cheap shot reprisals because Big Georges is there to back them up. Tanguay will more than make up for the loss of Streit's points. A change was necessary for the powerplay as it failed to come through in the playoffs.

I think that Chips must be one of the centers next year to replace Smokes.

AKost-Pleks-Kovy

Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins

Lats-Chips-S.Kost

Begin-Laps-Kosto/Laraque

Markov-Komi

Hamrlik-O'B

Bouillon-Gorges

Brisebois

Price/Halak

This team is going to cause a lot of damage, anything less than conference finals is a disappointment.

You could flip Kovy and Higgins or Chips and Laps as I am sure will be tried. I think we pick up a veteran D at the deadline who is going to be UFA.

Denis is nice insurance if he can regain his game in Hamilton. There will be no rookie forwards this year. Last year we pretty much had 4 rookie forwards.

Dandenault must be given a new home.

I am looking forward to see how Price plays this fall with a nice long summer break behind him, and an itch to prove the playoffs were not his best showing.

I think that Schneider might be a nice addition to play with Hamrlik if Sundin does not sign. If Sundin does sign we will be scary good and of course everything changes then.

Go :hlogo: Go

The Koivu line you guys posted isn't going to work, Higgins and Tanguay play the same postion. Higgins played poorly when switched to the other side and was even worse at centre. This line up without Sundin is more balanced then last year.

Tanguay Koivu Lats (he was a RW before the habs moved him, better hands then Higgins)

AK46 Pleks AK 27

Higgins Chipchura Sk good 2 way line, will protect Chipchura, Higgins will get PP and Pk time

Begin Lapierre Larague / Kosto

dandy extra

Markov Komi

Gorges Hamrlik (Gorges provides speed to the pair)

Bouillon O'Byrne (he could play with Hamrlik)

Price Halak

Obviously if someone is struggling the habs have the ability to change things up. Atleast try Lats where he can get points, Koivu and Tanguay aren't too fast for him, the other lines are.

I think the lines will be, A Kosty -Pleks -Kovalev and the rest will be a training camp trial and error until chemistry is found.

It is so early right now that these thing can't even be speculated on with any hope of accuracy.

The Koivu line you guys posted isn't going to work, Higgins and Tanguay play the same postion. Higgins played poorly when switched to the other side and was even worse at centre. This line up without Sundin is more balanced then last year.

Tanguay Koivu Lats (he was a RW before the habs moved him, better hands then Higgins)

AK46 Pleks AK 27

Higgins Chipchura Sk good 2 way line, will protect Chipchura, Higgins will get PP and Pk time

Begin Lapierre Larague / Kosto

dandy extra

Markov Komi

Gorges Hamrlik (Gorges provides speed to the pair)

Bouillon O'Byrne (he could play with Hamrlik)

Price Halak

Obviously if someone is struggling the habs have the ability to change things up. Atleast try Lats where he can get points, Koivu and Tanguay aren't too fast for him, the other lines are.

I agree that these are the lines I'd LIKE to see, but I also think that it'll be trial and error for a while until the different combos are tried out.

The other thing, I really want to see Dandy go. He whines too much and there's no room for him. Chemistry is important and he's just gonna be complaining if he's not playing...

• 3 months later...
Now this is what I think we should move towards to, however I'm guessing that the Bouillon/Gorges duo will be back (not bad, but a little limited while not giving us the chande to develop a young defenseman that could be a regular for years to come), also that Higgins will be back in the top 6 forward role (I really like Higgins, but we're asking to much from him), and probably that the Habs will again make a couple of stupid decisions like starting the season with Dandeneault and Brisebois in the lineup, or resigning Mark Streit (probably for too much and for too long) whom I feel is easily replaceable in our context (but he can help another team).

I hate being right about such things... :angry:

Although playing Brisebois makes sense at this point since Bouillon is injured, I just freakin' knew Carbonneau would play Mathieu Dandeneault - who's best quality is not being absolutely horrible out there - before a younger, better Kyle Chipchura. It's too bad for Kyle Chipchura who worked very hard at camp, and got better every single game.. all for nothing because we want to reward a useless veteran.

I know we'll be playing 3 games in 4 nights, and that Chipchura will likely dress tomorrow night, but the opening roster is always a little more significant... this is kind of an indirect message to Chipchura that he ranks very low in the organizational ladder.

I predicted a couple months ago that somehow Begin, Kostopoulos, Brisebois, and Dandeneault would all be in the starting lineup for the first game of the season... and unfortunately that prediction came true...

Anyways... just needed to get this off my chest... now let this great season begin!! :clap:

He's dressing Dandy over Chipchura for two reasons:

1) Chipchura is a centre, the top 4 C's are healthy

2) Insurance on D. Carbo likes having 7 potential d-men in case one gets hurt or tossed.

We'll probably see Chipchura in one of these games. Carbo said he would need to use everyone given the quick start (3 games in 4 nights). But it's clear that Chipchura is heading to the minors if/when we get healthy.

He's dressing Dandy over Chipchura for two reasons:

1) Chipchura is a centre, the top 4 C's are healthy

2) Insurance on D. Carbo likes having 7 potential d-men in case one gets hurt or tossed.

We'll probably see Chipchura in one of these games. Carbo said he would need to use everyone given the quick start (3 games in 4 nights). But it's clear that Chipchura is heading to the minors if/when we get healthy.

Lapierre can easily play on the wing, and actually probably should. I like him better on the wing because he lacks the hockey sense required to be a centre. As a winger he doesn't have to think as much, and can therefore concentrate on skating, hitting, crashing the net, and being a pain in the ass.

Your second point makes sense, especially for the first game of the season where you should avoid overplaying the top defensemen, and also the fact that we not only have old, injury-prone Brisebois in lineup, but Hamrlik and Markov who may not be 100% as well.