The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

Nice, Anthony Calvillo and Mark Trestman both announced that they should be back next season. Trestman might be considerd for a coaching job in the NFL though, rumors went on earlier this season already.

Looks like Chiu and Cahoon didn't take any decision so far. I'd bet they will both retire after the last Grey Cup.

John Bowman, Éric Deslauriers, Kerry Watkins, Kerry Carter, Paul Lambert, Riall Johnson, Diamond Ferri, Dahrran Diedrick et Keron Williams will also be free this summer.

In bold = those i'd like to see again in the Als.

I like Carter, but several other guys could do the job.

Nice, Anthony Calvillo and Mark Trestman both announced that they should be back next season. Trestman might be considerd for a coaching job in the NFL though, rumors went on earlier this season already.

Looks like Chiu and Cahoon didn't take any decision so far. I'd bet they will both retire after the last Grey Cup.

John Bowman, Éric Deslauriers, Kerry Watkins, Kerry Carter, Paul Lambert, Riall Johnson, Diamond Ferri, Dahrran Diedrick et Keron Williams will also be free this summer.

In bold = those i'd like to see again in the Als.

I like Carter, but several other guys could do the job.

I'd personally like to see Diedrick come back, if for no other reason than he's a ratio-changer, a Canadian RB. I also suspect they saw something they liked in Johnson; otherwise, why trade Santos for him? I suspect they'll let Ferri go after some of the off-field concerns they had with him around the midway point of the season coupled with the emergence of Guzman to go alongside Emry/Cox at the LB position.

Former Alouette Chris Jennings will be seeing extensive playing time with the Cleveland Browns the rest of the season with Jamal Lewis's season/career being done. Never heard of him? From what I can tell, he was on the Alouette's practice team last year and was cut this year. No offense to the CFL, but how bad is the Brown's organization when they're bringing in CFL rejects?

Former Alouette Chris Jennings will be seeing extensive playing time with the Cleveland Browns the rest of the season with Jamal Lewis's season/career being done. Never heard of him? From what I can tell, he was on the Alouette's practice team last year and was cut this year. No offense to the CFL, but how bad is the Brown's organization when they're bringing in CFL rejects?

He wasn't cut by the Als, the Browns took him off Montreal's practice roster around Week 3 of the CFL season; I was none too pleased with that either after seeing how effective he was in the preseason - I wanted him as the starter and Cobourne gone/moved to SB. Picked Jennings up in my pool though...(pretty much had to, I was the unlucky one who had Lewis).

He wasn't cut by the Als, the Browns took him off Montreal's practice roster around Week 3 of the CFL season; I was none too pleased with that either after seeing how effective he was in the preseason - I wanted him as the starter and Cobourne gone/moved to SB. Picked Jennings up in my pool though...(pretty much had to, I was the unlucky one who had Lewis).

Still, they signed him in 2008 and he didn't play a single game.

Still, they signed him in 2008 and he didn't play a single game.

That's normal when it comes to the Als - a QB you may have heard of (Chris Leak out of Florida) signed with Montreal partway through last season (early June). Since then, he's thrown a whopping 11 passes, 10 of which came in the final game when the Als sat all their regulars by the time he came in the game (the Toronto one). Lots of good collegiate guys sit on the practice roster for years before they get a chance.

That's normal when it comes to the Als - a QB you may have heard of (Chris Leak out of Florida) signed with Montreal partway through last season (early June). Since then, he's thrown a whopping 11 passes, 10 of which came in the final game when the Als sat all their regulars by the time he came in the game (the Toronto one). Lots of good collegiate guys sit on the practice roster for years before they get a chance.

I'm not saying it's not normal for good college players to go to the CFL and ride the bench before getting a legitimate chance. Plenty of NFLers do the same thing. For example, Ryan Grant spent two years on the Giants practice squad before the Packers picked him up and he led the league in rushing the last 8 weeks of that season.

My point is that it's a sad state of affairs when an NFL team is going to CFL practice squads for players. I'm all for bringing over good CFLers to the NFL. An NFL team should be looking at good CFLers for players, what are they doing bypassing successful CFL players for an unsuccessful one? Guys who come to the NFL from the CFL do so because they have success and show they can play at a high level. Jennings couldn't even get on the field.

I'm not saying it's not normal for good college players to go to the CFL and ride the bench before getting a legitimate chance. Plenty of NFLers do the same thing. For example, Ryan Grant spent two years on the Giants practice squad before the Packers picked him up and he led the league in rushing the last 8 weeks of that season.

My point is that it's a sad state of affairs when an NFL team is going to CFL practice squads for players. I'm all for bringing over good CFLers to the NFL. An NFL team should be looking at good CFLers for players, what are they doing bypassing successful CFL players for an unsuccessful one? Guys who come to the NFL from the CFL do so because they have success and show they can play at a high level. Jennings couldn't even get on the field.

That much I'd agree with, although the Als' philosophy is screwed up - Jennings earned PT, but they refused to make room for him. I'm certainly rooting for the guy at least. I suspect the Browns liked what they'd seen from him in college and figured he was worth a shot, regardless of how Montreal seemed to be wasting him.

That much I'd agree with, although the Als' philosophy is screwed up - Jennings earned PT, but they refused to make room for him. I'm certainly rooting for the guy at least. I suspect the Browns liked what they'd seen from him in college and figured he was worth a shot, regardless of how Montreal seemed to be wasting him.

Yeah, though it begs the question why they didn't add him to their own practice squad last year. Maybe Mangini has a man crush on him or something. But yeah, I'm hoping for the best from Jennings. I liked what I saw out of him in the preseason and I'm glad they're not just gonna give all the carries to Jerome Harrison, whom I'm never been a fan of.

• 2 weeks later...

Trestman signed for 3 more years with the Als!

(You guys wouldn't recognize me on the Als site. I'm *never* negative. How could I be with such a first class organization as the Als.) Hey, how about this for a trade?

Popp for Gainey

Trestman for Martin

Think that'd work? :rolleyes:

Why was I under the impression you were a Bengals fan, Fanpuck.

Or do you cheer for both Ohio teams?

I switch team allegiances pretty often when it comes to the NFL. I grew up rooting for San Francisco and then Kansas City because of Joe Montana. After that, I shifted to the Rams and then Steelers because of Jerome Bettis. Most of my friends and then roommates in college were all Bengals fans, so when they got good, I jumped on the bandwagon for a stretch. I was probably the only "Bengals fan" who rooted for the Steelers in the Super Bowl after they beat Cincy in the playoffs that year. Was thrilled to see Jerome get a ring. Then I got sick of all the arrests and dumped the Bengals and later picked up the Browns when they drafted Quinn.

• 1 month later...
Nice. Bowman and Perret signed with the Als today. Both were UFA.

Now if Popp can do the same with Kerry Watkins and Keron Williams ASAP...

Watkins has said he's testing the market, I suspect he's done with the Als as they can't afford to be the highest bidder for him.

Watkins has said he's testing the market, I suspect he's done with the Als as they can't afford to be the highest bidder for him.

Shit. Didn't see that in the news. I wish we could manage to keep Watkins.

Shit. Didn't see that in the news. I wish we could manage to keep Watkins.

Here's the link where I found it: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Argo...6081/story.html

Here's the quote that scares me most:

"He's young enough, got the numbers and good years left. He's in the wheelhouse," Reale said. "When all is said and done, the money won't be a problem. It's just a question of where it will be coming from."

• 2 weeks later...

Als' offensive coordinator Scott Milanovich has turned down an offer to become coach of the Argos, largely because they weren't offering enough money. Leave it to the Argos to find 'their guy' and then lowball him, ensuring they don't get him. What's more funny, that, or the fact that their likely new owner already owns the BC Lions?

Notable remaining Als' FA's:

Kerry Carter (expected to re-sign)

Bryan Chiu (expected to re-sign or retire)

Dahrran Diedrick (expected to re-sign)

Jermaine McElveen (likely to test free agency/NFL waters)

Kerry Watkins (likely to test free agency)

Keron Williams (likely to test free agency/NFL waters)

So far the Stamps off-season has been decent. The biggest move was re-signing Reynolds but I also liked bringing back Franklin. Rambo just re-signed as well. Biggest loss was Tsoumpas to Miami but we signed Comiskey from Edmonton to replace him (Comiskey was who we traded to get the pick for Tsoumpas anyway)

Un-signed guys right now are Teyo Johnson, Sandro DeAngelis and Charleston Hughes. The last two will probably become free agents as they're testing the NFL. Sandro has already had try-outs with Atlanta and Dallas, I can't see him coming back to Calgary (Jerry Jones attended his try-out and was apparently very impressed). I don't know if Hughes will get a shot this time, he might've had his chance last season with the Eagles.

Front office is kind of in shambles. Cortez is off to be the Bills new QB coach which is big and now Barker's name is getting thrown around as new Argos GM. Chris Jones atleast signed an extension. I don't know how we're going to replace Cortez though so that has me a little worried.

Any Stamps fans have any insight into Cortez. His resume speaks pretty well for his ability to develop QBs. Just wondering what type of a coach we're getting in Buffalo.

Humm. Interesting as Brian Chiu sign today. He'll start a 13th or 14th season with the Als. He'll help to develop the next centre guy for the Als offensive line.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=309550

The owner of the B.C. Lions just bought the Toronto Argonauts.. How can you own two teams? Is that a first? Seems like a joke to me. If one team lose two games in a row against the other team, what do you think will be the headlines? What about the integrity of the league now? If I was the president of the league, I would not want people to even think about it (the integrity of the league). That can easily kill the game.