The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=309550

The owner of the B.C. Lions just bought the Toronto Argonauts.. How can you own two teams? Is that a first? Seems like a joke to me. If one team lose two games in a row against the other team, what do you think will be the headlines? What about the integrity of the league now? If I was the president of the league, I would not want people to even think about it (the integrity of the league). That can easily kill the game.

Commissioner Mark Cohon seems pretty confident that nothing wrong will happen.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=309550 "The second factor was the integrity of our game. We understand there are those who will now view every interaction between the Lions and the Argos with extreme scrutiny. I can assure them their vigilance will be nothing compared to the way I and my colleagues in the league office will monitor every transaction and every game involving these two teams, reserving every step of the way our right to veto any trade or punish any initiative that fails to clearly meet the highest standards of competitiveness," he said.

I think the chances are good that Bradley will sell the team when a new trusted owner will come up. I take it as an interim ownership for now... Time will tell...

What about the integrity of the league now?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

This is the CFL! Didn't you know they don't sell ballcaps of your favourite teams, but rather Mickey Mouse ears with the team logo!

I think the chances are good that Bradley will sell the team when a new trusted owner will come up. I take it as an interim ownership for now... Time will tell...

Agreed, I think he's just helping the CFL out until a real owner can come along. Besides, Braley has had his money tied up in the Argos for quite a few years now and nothing shady has happened. Not really a big deal to me.

They also stole away Jim Barker to be their new head coach leaving another hole in the Stamps front office. Chris Jones probably has another promotion coming his way. Dave Dickenson is essentially our new offensive coordinator.

Watkins has said he's testing the market, I suspect he's done with the Als as they can't afford to be the highest bidder for him.

Turned out that he didn't test the market !!! :clap::clap::clap:

Kerry Watkins for 2 years + 1 option

Jermaine McElveen 1 year + 1 option

VERY good news. Only Keron Williams and Kerry Carter stay unsigned. I don't mind losing Carter but I'd hate to see Williams go.

Turned out that he didn't test the market !!! :clap::clap::clap:

Kerry Watkins for 2 years + 1 option

Jermaine McElveen 1 year + 1 option

VERY good news. Only Keron Williams and Kerry Carter stay unsigned. I don't mind losing Carter but I'd hate to see Williams go.

Big surprise, glad to hear it. Carter re-signed too, per the Als site (2+1):

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article/wa...mcelveen-return

I don't mind losing Carter but I'd hate to see Williams go.

Unfortunately, Williams signed with BC yesterday. Another notable signing today was Dominque Dorsey leaving the Argos for Saskatchewan, Toronto loses their one legit threat that they had left.

Unfortunately, Williams signed with BC yesterday. Another notable signing today was Dominque Dorsey leaving the Argos for Saskatchewan, Toronto loses their one legit threat that they had left.

Not so

Stamps trade Jermaine Copeland to the Argos for PK Sam.

WTF. Boooooo!

Not so

Stamps trade Jermaine Copeland to the Argos for PK Sam.

WTF. Boooooo!

Can't say I saw that coming, though Sam was a good receiver when he came back from the NFL last season. I think it's a good long-term move for the Stamps actually, Copeland's not exactly young and Sam may break out with a real QB.

• 2 weeks later...

Alouettes make their first notable move of the offseason (aside from re-signing most of their FA's), acquiring 3 time All-Star DE Gavin Walls from the Bombers for one of the best names at least in the CFL, Stan van Sichem (it's only appropriate he's a pass rusher). This is a big pickup for the defensive line, though losing a young, non-import stings in itself. Still, glad to see Popp being proactive on improving the team and not just staying status quo.

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article/al...ls-from-bombers

Als make their second notable move of the offseason, releasing the player they just acquired (Walls). Lesson learned - check that the player is willing to renegotiate his contract before trading for him.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/release+Wal...3667/story.html

Walls is now grieving this, doesn't bode well for prospects of ever bringing him back.

In other news, the Als signed QB Cody Pickett yesterday. Why, no one knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Ex-NFL'er Cleo Lemon signed with the Argos today. You know your career is nearing the end when you go from being a short term NFL starter (Miami, 2007) to having a chance to crack the worst team in the CFL.

In Als news, they wound up coming to terms with Gavin Walls eventually, though the process is still likely to be grieved (the bonus issue).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
New season, same old Als defence: Missing in Action. Somehow we're only down 5 at the half.

didn't this same old M.I.A. defence finished first in pretty much every category last season ?

didn't this same old M.I.A. defence finished first in pretty much every category last season ?

Yep, though a lot of that had to do with the fact they weren't on the field as much as other defenses. Less time on the field = less points allowed, less yardage allowed, etc. I'm glad they showed up for the 4th Q yesterday but I think the book is out on this D - throw deep (away from Estelle's corner) and watch Parker, Brown, and Dix blow coverages or interfere with the receiver. Hopefully the first two can snap the sophomore jinx soon...Dix is just not that good, no idea why he's even there.

Yep, though a lot of that had to do with the fact they weren't on the field as much as other defenses. Less time on the field = less points allowed, less yardage allowed, etc. I'm glad they showed up for the 4th Q yesterday but I think the book is out on this D - throw deep (away from Estelle's corner) and watch Parker, Brown, and Dix blow coverages or interfere with the receiver. Hopefully the first two can snap the sophomore jinx soon...Dix is just not that good, no idea why he's even there.

IMO, the less time your defense is on the field = the best your defense is. Obviously, if the defense suck, they're gonna stay on the field longer.

In 2009 Als defence finished 1rst in the league in 21 of the 25 defensive categories and ranked top 3 in the other 4 categories...

http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/2009_...tics.pdf#page=6

IMO, the less time your defense is on the field = the best your defense is. Obviously, if the defense suck, they're gonna stay on the field longer.

To some degree, yes. But if Calvillo and company execute a 14 play, 6 minute drive, that's not necessarily because of the defence. Them being on the field so long (and Montreal had the best average for time of possession) means less points are being scored on them. Give the Montreal D 3 more minutes per game on average (so another 60 minutes overall, roughly 2-3 first downs in that stretch). They're not first in a lot of the categories that they led in. The D is shaky and the evidence is quickly showing, especially having lost a couple of the better players from last year.

To some degree, yes. But if Calvillo and company execute a 14 play, 6 minute drive, that's not necessarily because of the defence. Them being on the field so long (and Montreal had the best average for time of possession) means less points are being scored on them. Give the Montreal D 3 more minutes per game on average (so another 60 minutes overall, roughly 2-3 first downs in that stretch). They're not first in a lot of the categories that they led in. The D is shaky and the evidence is quickly showing, especially having lost a couple of the better players from last year.

To some degree, yes. Als registred 63 takeaways in 2009, this is 9 more than their closest runner. This helps them to stay in a good shape while the other team's defense becomes out of shape cuz they're always on the field defending against the best offense of the league... I must admit that having the team that allows the less giveaways also help there...

This is speculation and could or could not happen, who knows ? Could be roughly 2-3 more interceptions...

Indeed, Keron Williams is the biggest loss of the team in the last 3-4 seasons IMO.

Nice to see the colour feature is still working properly. :)

Sure the Als had 63 takeaways, but 19 of those were on downs as teams had to gamble on 3rd and __ to get back into the game. The combination of INT/FL is 44, which would put them 2nd, one ahead of 3rd place. Nothing overly special there, and now with Dix/Samuels full time on a corner, those INT's will be dropping in a hurry.

Nice to see the colour feature is still working properly. :)

Sure the Als had 63 takeaways, but 19 of those were on downs as teams had to gamble on 3rd and __ to get back into the game. The combination of INT/FL is 44, which would put them 2nd, one ahead of 3rd place. Nothing overly special there, and now with Dix/Samuels full time on a corner, those INT's will be dropping in a hurry.

That speaks a lot. Means the opposite offense were not able to get the first down with 2 downs AND failed again on 3rd down...

Seriously, I was VERY VERY confident about this defense last season. Not as much in the last 2 games this season though...

• 3 weeks later...