The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

In the West, I like Calgary's chances, Tate's got them going well right now, that momentum should prove to be important in the West semi.

I think we beat Edmonton but lose to BC in the Final.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if the Grey Cup winner is anyone other than BC. They've been straight dominant for almost 3 months now. Everyone else has looked pathetic in that time frame.

I was asked in the chatroom earlier today if Shea Emry was playing for the Als tomorrow. He will not. Bear Woods will make his CFL debut in the LB spot while Daryl Townsend, an NI DB takes the place of Mike Giffin (a backup FB) that plays special teams, giving the defence another option to use.

8 teams in the CFL.

Last season, the final 4 was Calgary, Sakatchewan, Montreal and Toronto.

This season, the final 4 is : Edmonton, BC, Hamilton and Winnipeg.

Nice.

Oh yeah, Toronto fluked their way into the East Final last year. Then they got completely destroyed, good memories there.

As for my picks, I like BC in the West and though all logic dictates otherwise, I like Hamilton to pull it out somehow tomorrow. Based on my predictions last week, this means we'll have a Winnipeg-Edmonton final.

Wow...I got a pick right last week. 1/4 these playoffs, or worse than flipping a coin. Regardless, my pick is BC tomorrow. I don't trust that Winnipeg's offence will be able to put a whole lot of points up while BC and their quick strike attack (just ask Edmonton in the 2nd quarter last week) can score on even the best of defences.

In other news, the Als are losing their offensive co-coordinator who will hold that same title with Toronto now...while also getting the assistant head coach job which with Jim Barker around is more or less meaningless aside from a pay bump.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=381357

• 1 month later...

Cats making moves

I really like the Burris deal... Burris is a better QB than Glenn and Cats gave up Glenn, a backup lineman, and a conditional mid round draft pick. Sounds like a big win to me.

Also managed to lure George Cortez out of the NFL to be head coach. That couldn't have been easy, I would think NFL QB Coach gets more money than CFL head man.

The Burris deal is a big win for both sides, not just Hamilton.

Saving money is huge for Calgary here, I agree.

Can't pay Burris his salary to be a backup and thats what he would have been.

Glenn will be a good backup, and DeWitt has some versatililty to fill in at a few positions, even if he is a backup. So I can see what they liked.

But this is about cash and cap space for Calgary.

Yep, it's why we'll dump Joffrey as well. If they can use that cap space to grab one or two of the good D linemen that will be available in free agency, I'll be happy.

But even as a return, they got more than I thought they would. A QB good enough to push Tate in training camp and an OL with experience to address a big need with regards to our depth. The pick is a cherry on top.

I still disagree with the QB switch but it is what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Avon Cobourne released by the Ti-Cats today.  Methinks he should be chirping a bit less now...

Writing was on the wall when the cats signed Martell Mallett, the 2009 CFL Rookie of the year who spent the last 2 years in the NFL. He's probably cheaper than Colbourne. Still I'm a little surprised as Colbourne was good for Hamilton this year.

He was not getting younger, but I still liked him a lot.

Another one with a great career leaving the Avs.

Congrats Anwar Stewart ! You were one of my favs.

Anyone know when the 2012 schedule gets announced? I'll be in Montreal June 13-17 (wife's at a conference) and I was looking at past seasons and see the Al's start up around those dates.

Anyone know when the 2012 schedule gets announced? I'll be in Montreal June 13-17 (wife's at a conference) and I was looking at past seasons and see the Al's start up around those dates.

It would be preseason, if anything.

Typically season starts on Canada Day Weekend.... or as close as possible to that.

• 2 months later...

hahahahaha On RDS.ca, there is a poll asking people which one of these players that will not be back with the Als next season will be missed the most ?

Results are :

Anwar Stewart (62%)

Kerry Watkins (26%)

Eric Wilson (10%)

Paul Woldu (2%)

Who the ###### voted for Paul Woldu ?!?!?!

If I had voted, I think I might have picked him too. A cheap extra that wound up being okay on the corner and was flexible enough to play LB and was a good special teamer. Wilson was a scratch at the end, Watkins barely played, and Stewart was a reserve...Woldu actually played more than those guys.