The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

If I had voted, I think I might have picked him too. A cheap extra that wound up being okay on the corner and was flexible enough to play LB and was a good special teamer. Wilson was a scratch at the end, Watkins barely played, and Stewart was a reserve...Woldu actually played more than those guys.

Well, I think the vote is more about the player as a whole than what they were offering in their last months of last season...

• 2 weeks later...

The CFL sure has an odd way of trying to promote itself. A mid-week draft date is curious in itself but at mid-week draft 3 PM Eastern??? That's insanity.

OL Ben Heenan went #1 to Sask.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after losing on a last second FG to the first place Lions, the Bombers fire their coach. The GM cited a few different reasons, one of which being the lack of offensive production. Of course, they're down to using a 3rd string quarterback but that was conveniently left out when their GM justified the firing. Then they promoted their defensive coordinator to head coach, another move that made little sense (hiring a defensive guy to be the head coach likely won't turn them into an offensive squad). So how did they do in their first game after the firing? Playing against the worst team in the West, the one team in the league with the same record as them, they lost a heartbreaking 52-0 decision. All I can say to that is ouch...and that bad GM'ing seems to be a real problem in Winnipeg.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else think that there's a higher than usual chance we'll see a West-West Grey Cup? Winnipeg's a joke, the Ti-Cats are mind-numbingly inconsistent, the Argos have too many overall holes (and bringing a guy out of retirement isn't going to solve much), while the Als are becoming more and more depleted by the week - the way things are going, I think the mascot has a shot at getting at least a practice roster contract. If I had to pick an East team that could do some damage in the playoffs, I'd have to pick Hamilton (they're relatively healthy and when they're on, they're dominant). Thing is, they may very well have to run the table to even make the postseason. Beyond that, it'd be tough right now to put much faith in either Toronto or Montreal though I hope I'm wrong about the Als.

• 3 weeks later...

Edmonton fires their GM right before the playoffs start. Already there are rumblings that he'll replace Toronto's GM, where there are rumours that it's already been decided he won't be back regardless of how the Argos fare in the playoffs; conveniently they play Edmonton in Round 1. Interesting...

Here's some weird notes on the whole Edmonton situation: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/03/jones-esks-gm-fired-president-rhodes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best of luck to now former Montreal coach Marc Trestman who has been named head coach of the NFL's Chicago Bears. It's not often that a CFL coach gets a head coaching gig in the NFL so it will certainly be worth following.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=413656

Good things don't last forever. I liked his style and strategies. Good luck to him.

Free agency hasn't started yet (I think it begins in February) but the Als were busy today, announcing the signings of DB Byron Parker, WR Arland Bruce III, and QB Quinton Porter. Parker got 2 years, the others 3 (all deals are non-guaranteed though as most are). I like the Porter pickup in particular, he has been a starter before and probably is a better option than MacPherson moving forward. Bruce is still a good deep threat receiver (though getting up there in age), while Parker is a big upgrade on the likes of Osaisai and Williams. Good moves all around if the veterans have anything left in the tank. Now the big debate will be who is the new coach.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/making-a-splash-als-sign-bruce-parker-and-porter

• 3 weeks later...

Far from dead. In fact, it's going to be expanding for the 2014 season meaning there will be even more CFL on TV for your viewing enjoyment.

Ugh. I know. In my hometown. How horrible is that! We have to go through *another* few years of dismal pretend football before ownership flops yet again. It's so tiring reading the same schtick in the papers around here when the team exists. Die and never come back, already.

Ugh. I know. In my hometown. How horrible is that! We have to go through *another* few years of dismal pretend football before ownership flops yet again. It's so tiring reading the same schtick in the papers around here when the team exists. Die and never come back, already.

But then you wouldn't get the chance to potentially experience first hand some of the

. Only in the CFL can a team sign a college QB to a tryout deal with the promise that he'll have the chance to make the team as a safety, a receiver, or a punter...but not as a QB...and have it actually somewhat make sense. (I'm not making this up, this actually happened this afternoon...)

But then you wouldn't get the chance to potentially experience first hand some of the

. Only in the CFL can a team sign a college QB to a tryout deal with the promise that he'll have the chance to make the team as a safety, a receiver, or a punter...but not as a QB...and have it actually somewhat make sense. (I'm not making this up, this actually happened this afternoon...)

I agree with your point about the CFL, but your example of whimsy is not entirely accurate...the NFL regularly converts highly athletic QB's to ofher positions. In the past, it used to be policy with black QB's and the success of Warren Moon and others in the CFL helped change this.

I agree with your point about the CFL, but your example of whimsy is not entirely accurate...the NFL regularly converts highly athletic QB's to ofher positions. In the past, it used to be policy with black QB's and the success of Warren Moon and others in the CFL helped change this.

The 'whimsical wonder' that I was really referring to was in the link, the missed FG/punt out/punt back in/try to punt back out play from a few years ago. I know in the past NFL teams used to convert QB's but I can't think of any recent examples (other than Tim Tebow who lined up as a special teams player). But in the CFL, signing a Canadian QB to actually play QB is the exception instead of the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. That was serious ass. Thanks for sharing and proving my CFL point. Bush league.

Wow. That was serious ass. Thanks for sharing and proving my CFL point. Bush league.

I watched that play live, I found it quite entertaining...particularly when I got over the fact Duval (the kicker) missed yet another make able FG. If it makes you feel any better, he's out of the league now.

I watched that play live, I found it quite entertaining...particularly when I got over the fact Duval (the kicker) missed yet another make able FG. If it makes you feel any better, he's out of the league now.

Kickers miss field goals all the time. Wasn't there an NFL kicker in the Stupor Bowl that was terrible this year? It's the fact that it turned into a poor man's Aussie Rules Football with overtones of sad Rugby that your replay showed the severe bushiness.

Whatever happened to Jetsniper? He was good for kibitzing with.