The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

Pretty lousy coverage. TSN never even showed the starting lineups. Terrible half time show, outside of the random snowmobile jumping.

TSN hasn't shown the starting lineups for a couple of years now, just the 'Players to Watch.' I don't like it either although I get why as there's way more fluctuation in a CFL lineup from play to play than an NFL one as teams juggle the import/non-import ratio.

• 1 month later...

Anthony Calvillo officially retired today, which comes as little surprise after the battle with a concussion this year. It's a shame he didn't get to go out on top (or even in the lineup) but what a career.

:clap::clap::clap:

• 2 weeks later...

There were two 'starting QB' calibre players on the market this year in Henry Burris and Zach Collaros (who was going to get starter money) and two teams needing starting QB's in Hamilton and Winnipeg. Both have now signed and somehow Winnipeg didn't get either of them; Collaros went to Hamilton while Burris went to the Ottawa expansion team who already had a starting QB. If that doesn't say something about the perception of playing for Winnipeg right now, I don't know what does.

By the way, free agency doesn't start until next week, these players were just released by their old team to get a head start on signing.

• 3 weeks later...

It only took until over two weeks past the beginning of free agency but the Alouettes apparently have found their new coach. According to the Gazette, they're set to hire former EDM/CGY coach Tom Higgins. He spent 7 years with the Eskimos/Stampeders and has spent the last 5 years as the CFL's Director of Officiating.

I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about a coach who hasn't been on a sideline since 2007 but on the flip side, he has two things going for him. He has been a CFL head coach before...and he's not Jim Popp...so I can't complain much.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=444578

What is particularly interesting here is that this hire reportedly isn't coming from Popp (in his GM role). There has been a bit of a staring match between him and the owner with regards to a contract extension; Popp wanted short-term, Wetenhall wanted long-term. If it's the owner picking the coach, are we going to see a new GM before long?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the CBA getting resolved, I was looking forward to the start of the season. After Saturday's debacle in Calgary, I'm not quite so enthusiastic about Montreal's chances this year. Chad Johnson didn't look out of place though, he looks like he might actually be able to contribute beyond creating a social media buzz.

• 3 months later...

I think Smith is the guy, I'm much more confident in him than Neiswander or Marsh (I think Marsh still has some potential though). Give him a playbook suited to his style (they were still running an abbreviated version of what Calvillo ran; the two are very different QB types) and a full training camp and he should be a lot better. Given that they're giving him a reasonable salary (by CFL standards) for next year, he'll get the first look if Calvillo retires.

Well, I was right about him getting the first look when Calvillo retired but clearly he wasn't the guy after all. He was released today after they were unable to trade him.

Chad Johnson didn't look out of place though, he looks like he might actually be able to contribute beyond creating a social media buzz.

I'd like to retract this statement...clearly I spoke too soon there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Another CFL season starts today and the league made sure to start with a bang. Or is that a whimper? Montreal plays Ottawa in what's sure to be a snoozefest with not a whole lot of offence. That's not the best way to start off on the right foot.

Let's see, nice plays...the new kicker had some good punts. That's something.

That was a tough way to start the season although I imagine there are a lot of Alouette fans who were happy that Bridge got in early and that Rakeem Cato may be in uniform for next game. Bridge didn't look out of place for a raw rookie QB and Cato has starting upside as well. One of those are ideally the QB of the future.

Yeah. That sucked a bit.

I liked Nick Lewis a lot yesterday. Managed to get open and received a few good passes.

Logan didn't manage to turn the corner at all.

What a debut for Rakeem Cato last night. He looks like he could actually be a decent option at QB moving forward. It's only one game but he looked surprisingly at ease out there and made a lot of good reads.

What a debut for Rakeem Cato last night. He looks like he could actually be a decent option at QB moving forward. It's only one game but he looked surprisingly at ease out there and made a lot of good reads.

Just watched the highlights. Yes he looked really good.

I REALLY like Nick Lewis !!!

I liked Cato and Lewis--who is still running over defense backs like speed bumps. I was afraid Lewis might have lost a step/some competitive fire, but that was not the case against the Stamps. Hope that MTL can steamroll a BB team also starting a backup QB

I don't remember Lewis looking so much like a full back! lmao

Cato was channeling some Tracy Ham!

Clutch grabs by Giguere, too.

I was rather shocked. I foresaw a 3 win season for the Als this year.. :surrender:

I don't remember Lewis looking so much like a full back! lmao

I think he dropped a bit of weight this year believe it or not. Once he gets the ball, he's hard to tackle because of that extra weight which makes him a unique option in the offence.