The Official CFL Thread

jetsniper

• 4 weeks later...

Tough loss for the Als last night in Ottawa. Lots of little mistakes proved costly:

- Missed FG - lost two points

- Two Cato picks on 2nd down (on poor throws) within field goal range - likely lost six points

- Dumb penalty on the punt return by Logan - lost four points (since they got a field goal on the drive)

They lost the game by three points. They have themselves to blame for this one.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Als finally win at BC Place for the first time since 2000. The next day, they fire their head coach. While I don't entirely disagree with the decision (though I thought the offensive coordinator would be first to go), the timing is certainly interesting. Jim Popp will take over for the 4th or 5th time now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BC needs to fire a coach and his name is Tedford. Wally what were you thinking?

After the success the Als had with Trestman, a lot of teams are trying to find the next American coach that can adapt to the CFL game. Tedford, like many others, have not panned out at all. Who takes over though? I can't see Buono wanting to get back on the sidelines, even if it was just until the end of the season.

After the success the Als had with Trestman, a lot of teams are trying to find the next American coach that can adapt to the CFL game. Tedford, like many others, have not panned out at all. Who takes over though? I can't see Buono wanting to get back on the sidelines, even if it was just until the end of the season.

Actually that is probably the way it is going to be. Wally can tough it out for a few games. Hell maybe they should bring Benevides back, I did not think they should fire him in the first place.

Hey the only good thing I could find in last nights game is that our 3rd stringer looks like a starter. He has some talent. Now will that asshole Tedford let him play?

Beck will be on a short leash from here on out at the very least. As long as BC is fighting for a playoff spot though, I wouldn't be shocked to see Tedford stick with the 'veteran' (even though Beck has very little CFL experience).

The year of the injured QB continues as Zach Collaros could be done for the year. All of a sudden, the East is wide open. It's also looking like an East team could cross over to the West in the playoffs which would be a first.

• 1 year later...

After over two decades at the helm, Jim Popp is no longer GM of the Alouettes.  While he has done a lot of good things for the team, I think this is a good time for him to move on.  His eye for offensive talent has really dwindled in recent years and trading a 1st round pick for Vernon Adams looks like a really bad move at this point.  (Though I do think Adams has upside, his contract might be up by the time he's actually read to lead the team.)

Props to Popp for many many years of great talents found all around the Football planet, players and coaches.

Indeed, it was time for him to step down.  Some of his final decisions, especially insisting on acting as the coach for more than 2 weeks, unfortunately leave a shadow over 15-20 years of good services.

• 3 weeks later...

My first thought after hearing Burris got hurt in the warmup was that would actually improve Ottawa's chances of winning last night.  Boy, was I wrong there.  What a performance from Burris...what a game altogether.  That will go down as one of the all-time classics.

The league put a moratorium on any coaching/GM/player news during Grey Cup week so it'll be interesting to see what all gets announced in the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

The Alouettes are certainly taking a bit of a risk by hiring Kavis Reed, a long time coach, as their new GM.  He has been around the league long enough to have a good handle on current CFL players but does he have enough contacts in the US to help when it comes to recruitment down there, particularly the college players?  On the plus side, this hire could have been a whole lot worse; I'm quite pleased Danny Maciocia is nowhere near this franchise.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Better not let Tony Marinaro hear you say that, haha. 

Most of the Montreal media thinks he's this managerial mastermind.  He wasn't very good as GM in Edmonton despite inheriting a very good roster and has been out of the CFL for I think eight years now.  Someone with that track record should not realistically be considered for the GM role.  Of course, the reason why so many in the media were pumping his tires is well known and it has little to do with his ability to run a professional franchise.  He's a good schmoozer and the role they offered him reflected what he could actually do for the team.  And the fact he decided to publicly complain about what they offered him in a press conference should more or less burn any possible bridges of him being considered for the job should it open up down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

The Alouettes have a new starting QB...sort of.  They've acquired the negotiating rights to Kevin Darian Durant from Saskatchewan for a 4th rounder plus a conditional 2nd if they can get him to sign a contract.  He's too old to be their quarterback of the long-term future but even if they could get a couple of good seasons out of him and allow Adams/Cato to develop, he'd still be a useful pickup.

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The Alouettes have a new starting QB...sort of.  They've acquired the negotiating rights to Kevin Durant from Saskatchewan for a 4th rounder plus a conditional 2nd if they can get him to sign a contract.  He's too old to be their quarterback of the long-term future but even if they could get a couple of good seasons out of him and allow Adams/Cato to develop, he'd still be a useful pickup.

Must of been a big pay cut for Kevin Durant to come to the CFL from the Golden State Warriors :P

But yes Darian Durant should be a really good pick-up for the Alouettes. It gives them really their first legitimate quarterback since Anthony Calvillo retired. 

• 3 months later...

S.J. Green to Toronto for 6th round pick + conditional 2018.

Fans are pissed.   He's been injured A LOT last season.  Don't really know the actual lineup though.

Is he replacable ?

5 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

S.J. Green to Toronto for 6th round pick + conditional 2018.

Fans are pissed.   He's been injured A LOT last season.  Don't really know the actual lineup though.

Is he replacable ?

When they signed Ernest Jackson, that put Green's spot in real jeopardy.  It's also believed that the Alouettes wanted to start him on the 6 Game IR for cap reasons and then when that didn't fly, they tried to renegotiate a cheaper contract.  When there was no traction there, it started to trend towards cut him or trade him for what you can get.  Unfortunately, receivers (even the good ones) aren't worth a whole lot in trades as it's one of the easiest spots to fill (in theory) in the league.

At WR, they have Jackson, Nik Lewis, and B.J. Cunningham as their top three imports while Sam Giguere is their starting non-import.  They'll fill out the import spots with some youngsters at camp in all likelihood.

• 4 months later...

This has come to mind a few different times over the past month and a half or so but how much worse can this season get?  The head coach and defensive coordinator have been fired (the latter needed to happen a while ago) and Durant can't hit the broad side of a barn with his passes all of a sudden.  Shockingly, they're still within striking distance of a playoff spot but an awful lot needs to turn around in a hurry.

I'm surprised Edmonton is in a tailspin themselves as well.  I know they have some injuries but Reilly is healthy and they have a dominant receiving corps so they should be able to hang around in some high scoring games at least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 8:55 PM, dlbalr said:

This has come to mind a few different times over the past month and a half or so but how much worse can this season get?  The head coach and defensive coordinator have been fired (the latter needed to happen a while ago) and Durant can't hit the broad side of a barn with his passes all of a sudden.  Shockingly, they're still within striking distance of a playoff spot but an awful lot needs to turn around in a hurry.

Well, allowing 59 points to Calgary might actually qualify as worse... 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...