Collective Bargaining Agreement Scenarios?

JLP

Please forgive with my relative ignorance, guys, but what possible scenarios do you foresee when the CBA expires?

Anyone have inside information? Anyone have a gut feeling? A possible solution?

Following the Habs keeps me grounded here, I've come to depend on those games!

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

(...and, is Dino Sisto gone or what?)

As I am sure you know, the two sides appear to be locked into their respective stances. The owners want a hard salary cap, the players want nothing that even resembles a salary cap.

The two sides met a couple days ago and accomplished next to nothing. All that really happened was that each side presented a few solutions, with the other side refused. Apparently, owners want a cap in the 35 millions range, which is ridiculous. Over half the teams in the NHL have salaries topping 35 million.

Personally, I feel that any lockout will not end the season. I think that the owners and players both realize that an extended lockout could spell the end for the NHL as we know it. Ratings across the US are down, and there is more money going out than coming in. Financially, the league needs a solution, and I think that this will cause some kind of compromise.

(And last I heard Sisto was fired for inappropriate relations with an intern from CJAD)

I think they should work in a luxury tax, like MLB, since the players are adimate about not having a hard cap. Set it somewhere around 45-50, where only the top 10 highest team salaries would be penalized. This would help bring individual salaries down, although not so much that the players lose a lot of money. In the end, I think something like this will happen.

[Edited on 7-27-04 by Fanpuck33]