Those crazy Canucks ink Cloutier

Tony_

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=92569&hubName=nhl

Canucks ink Cloutier; avoid arbitration

TSN.ca Staff

7/26/2004

The Vancouver Canucks have signed goaltender Dan Cloutier to a one-year deal for $3-million, avoiding arbitration.

Cloutier earned $2.5-million last year and tied a career high with 33 wins, and set career marks with a 2.27 goals against average and .914 save percentage.  

He suffered an ankle injury in the third game of the Canucks' first-round series against Calgary and did not return in the playoffs.

The 28 year-old has been the Canucks' starting goaltender since arriving in a trade from Tampa Bay in February of 2001.

I'm not a big fan of Dan Cloutier, 3 million is too much in my opinion :?-

3 Million is too much for Cloutier. He's a pretty average goalie imo, maybe below average. 3 Million could of bought them someone better couldnt it have?

The Nucks also re-signed Morrison.

I consider Cloutier average at best. Optimist Canucks fans say he was the best thing available right now in the market while I believe Weekes or Hedberg could do a better job than him.

Either way I'm sure this is Cloutier's last chance to bring a Cup to Vancouver or else he's hopefully getting the boot for next season when Auld should take over between the pipes. He probably could do it this season but my guess as a back up to Dan. He played great in the playoffs for a 3rd string if you ask me.

edit: forgot to add "between" for when I typed "between the pipes".

[Edited on 2004/7/28 by Tony]

The only goalie that was average at best that helped his team to a cup was Osgood when he was in Detroit. Even in this case, Detroit had an awesome defensive squad helping out Chris. This ain't the case with Vancouver.

I think we're all right (everyone who posted in this thread) that he should get the boot. He so lucky he didn't go under arbitration because Dan and his agent knew he was going in a lose-lose situation. There would be no way he could win his arbitration case and if he did he was surely going to get the boot from the team.

With idiotic moves like signing Cloutier, screw-up after scew-up after screw-up, it's no wonder the organization has never won a Stanley Cup and never will.

Cloutier is a below-average starter, and any Championship team would have dumped him 2 years ago.

The Canucks are a heavily overrated team, and their performance in the clutch exposes this.

Morrison is good. Cloutier, is decent....average.  

Canucks imo are going to have a tough year considering there is going to be no Bertuzzi. That completely screwed them over.

The reason I hate Canucks and most of their fans. They actually believe that Brendan Morrison is better than Koivu - yes they do, ask them.

Why would losing Bertuzzi hurt the team? Have you seen Bertuzzi in the playoffs? Two years ago against the Wild he was pretty bad. Within the last 5 minutes out of frustration he took an idiotic penalty. He always takes dumb penalties.

He doesn't score big goals. And when he fights, he starts punching the other player before he's reading or aware that Bertuzzi wanted to fight.

Sure, he's a great regular season player but he's not a big time player.

That's what I meant with Zednik in another post. I'd rather have a star in the regular season that turns into a superstar in big games, than a superstar in a regular season that disappears during clutch games.

Speaking of Bertuzzi, I watched Slapshot 2 today (strangely on Australian daytime television - who'da thunk it?). There's a part in it where a member of the Chiefs gets knocked down (illegally, but no call). He gets up, chases the player, and sucker punches him to the base of the skull...

This movie was (obviously) made before Bertuzzi. If one can attribute school shootings to violent video games, can one also raise similarities between a comedy B-grade movie and Bertuzzi's criminal performance?

This movie was (obviously) made before Bertuzzi.  If one can attribute school shootings to violent video games, can one also raise similarities between a comedy B-grade movie and Bertuzzi's criminal performance?

No, Bertuzzi's just a Canuck.

That means he's cheap, cowardly and a loser.

I still remember Linden as a habs. Damn, that was horrible.