Leafs acquire Mayers

The-Habby2919

The Leafs have traded their 3rd (70th overall) to St. Louis for Jamal Mayers rights.

www.tsn.ca/nhl

Like he was going to be gone the first day of free agency they couldnt wait to get him for free. :lol:

:hlogo:

Correction, Mayers still has 2 years at 1.4 a year left on his contract. Still, didnt Cliff say he wanted to get younger?

:hlogo:

so much for rebuilding eh? 3rd round pick is pretty high for a 4th line (well 2nd line for the Leafs) grinder. Looks like Cliff "Draft Schmaft" Fletcher is starting to work his magic on the Leafs...

I don't get the bashing here, Mayers is a solid pickup for them, especially just for a 3rd. If he's good enough to play an important role for Team Canada at the Worlds, I'm sure he'll be able to play somewhere on the Leafs. Contrary to what some people think, even rebuilding teams need some veteran leadership to work with, that's what Mayers should bring.

Mayers is a intense player with a good physical presence, in that part of the game

he is a upgrade over Kilger and Battaglia.

However for a guy that doesn't put a lot of points he sure goes deep in the +/- department.

-22,-19,-19 since the lockout.

Defense is the flaw in his game, that's what the Blues realised and Fletcher missed. Still the Blues

have 1.4 million more wiggle room for a UFA.

I prefer Kosto over Mayer.