Tanguay to the habs for 25 OA.

Mils

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They picked up Cammalleri from LA, so it makes more sense now than it did when it first broke. So how does this affect the potential signing of Sundin?

I don't think it'll change anything. The Habs have plenty of room below the cap!

One thing is for sure, if Bob also goes and picks up Sundin, you can forget about resigning Streit, Ryder, Smolinski.

Good move Bob!!!

Now go out and pick up Sundin. Could you imagine what our first 3 lines would look like?!

Sundin, Kovalev, Tanguay, Koivu, A. Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Higgins, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse!!

Mindboggling!!!

Edited by Habsfan

I think we still get Sundin...

Oh my Gainey is going for the bank next year!!!!

He can sense blood and he's out for the kill.

I'm loving these moves. This is called smart shopping. Think of what these players would have cost us at the Trade Deadline. Not only do u get to pay less, but u get them for a whole friggen year...

GENIUS!!!

Thats alot of money that were paying Taungay though. 5.25 million for 1 year left on his contract.

I think what's going on here is that the Habs believe they are a couple of players away from sipping Cup champagne on the 100th anniversary of the franchise. And they think that Sundin and Tanguay are those two players. In essence, they're going for broke. They will go to the edge of the cap if need be, as long as it doesn't do any long-term damage. Getting Tanguay in his contract year gives us lots of flexibility going forward; and Sundin won't be a long-term signing either. Essentially, these will be BRILLIANT moves in that they come at zero cost to our core of young players, but add veteran leadership and high-end talent to an already dangerous roster. Let's hope BOTH moves come off.

I don't think it'll change anything. The Haba have plenty of room below the cap!

Good move Bob!!!

Financially, yes, but in terms of line combinations and roster spots. I don't see Gainey suddenly shuttling in three or four FA forwards when he's been slowly developing players through the system. I thought there might be three or four openings on the roster next year, and when/if Tanguay is a Habs, that's a top-six forward acquisition. It's very rare for a team to make more than one of those per year, and it's not something I see Gainey doing.

With Tanguay and (possibly) Sundin, we will be STACKED up front. So much for my Grabovski hypothesis! ;-)

I tell you, I am absolutely BUSTING. Bob is on the cusp of cementing a powerhouse!

Thats alot of money that were paying Taungay though. 5.25 million for 1 year left on his contract.

Subtract Ryder's money from that and it's what, a little over $2 million more on the cap number.

I just hope the additions of Tanguay and Sundin (possibly) don't cause any chemistry problems. That's always something that needs to be considered when adding more than one free agent player to your top 9 group of forwards. We don't want to have a Rangers-like situation going on here with too many "mercenaries".

I can't believe people are actually complaining about the Tanguay trade. The guy has had 3 seasons in the past 4 with at least 78 points. Last year it was obvious he wasn't getting along with Mike "hitler" Keenan. Watch him bounce back. And the best part about this deal is that he only has 1 year left on his contract.

This is a beautiful move by Bob!!

I just hope the additions of Tanguay and Sundin (possibly) don't cause any chemistry problems. That's always something that needs to be considered when adding more than one free agent player to your top 9 group of forwards. We don't want to have a Rangers-like situation going on here with too many "mercenaries".

A valid point. Bob will be aware of this, of course. But you may be forgetting that we're subtracting Ryder from the equation. So one of these two major (potential) acquisitions is replacing a lost asset, one that would have needed replacing anyway. Player turnover is part of the game - what's unusual here is simply the CALIBRE of the players being acquired. Look for potential risks all you want, but no team in the league would turn away Tanguay and Sundin in return for a 25th -overall pick and perhaps some other goodie thrown TO's way.

Done deal Ladies.

Tanguay and a 5th rounder to Montreal for our 1st rounder this year and our 2nd rounder next year(probably the Huet pick)!!!

Done deal Ladies.

Tanguay and a 5th rounder to Montreal for our 1st rounder this year and our 2nd rounder next year(probably the Huet pick)!!!

Not too crazy about the 2nd rounder. Oh well.

Not too crazy about the 2nd rounder. Oh well.

Bah, it ain't bad, we have 2 2nd rounders next year!