Tanguay to the habs for 25 OA.

Mils

I am not sure why I keep reading

Alex Tanguay had down year for the Flames with 18 goals and 40 assists

Tanguay is a proven defensive player - who can get maybe 20 goals a season.

His output last year was in line with other years - he has been a very consistent player all 9 years in the league.

Just a solid pickup - I dont know about the salary (is is really 5.5 million?)

but this definetly upgrades the forwards.

Now if that Sundin thing happens ... :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the Tangauy deal, I think they gave up too much. Didn't montreal back out of trading Ryder for Tangauy??? I know at the trade deadline Gainey said that all the deals offered for Ryder would have been sideway moves he wasn't interested in. I would much rather have given up Ryder for Tangauy then a first and second rounder.

Of course we didn't back out of trading Ryder for Tanguay, durrrr!!!! That's a completely lop-sided deal, a guy with 530 points in 600 games, a Cup and an all-star game, vs. a two time 30 goal guy having a woefully bad season. A first and second rounder can be big, but we're getting a great player. I guess after the last season you could compare him to Plex in terms of value going into his next season, which is a contract year as well. This guy should score 70 points with us if he stays healthy.

Sometimes you just gotta be happy about good things. :hlogo:

K so I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! Bob finally made his big move and I couldnt be happier. Tangs and the chance at Sundin to boot. :D :D :D

:hlogo:

I'm somewhat going nutz. Not because of Tanguay, but because IMO this Tanguay move improve our chance to sign Sundin for 2 year... And with that, I'm going nutz...

As mentioned by a couple on here...Fletcher knows that IF Sundin wants to play next year there is a very good chance he will choose to play for Montreal. This has been speculated by many reporters the last couple weeks. Fletcher has managed to work a way to get a decent player from Montreal should Sundin decide to play. The article below sums it up quite well. Especially this comment:

"Mats has always been interested in Montreal. Montreal is trying to see if they can sign him now — and then we'll go from there," said Fletcher, adding: "It would be better if you guys hadn't found out."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

I don't want to get my hopes up too high (either for Sundin or for Tanguay to go back to his old form), but adding both players would be the most amazing summer Habs fans have seen in decades.

Sundin-Plekanec-Koivu up the middle are strong offensively and defensively. I don't think Koivu would be too disgruntled to move down the depth-chart to take over from Smolinski for our 3rd (two-way) line. He's losing his speed, his primary weapon, and while we still like him as captain, he hasn't got long left in the league (3 years max), but he's still solid.

Kovalev and Kostitsyn are a great tandem, as are Kostitsyn and Higgins, so breaking either of them up would be silly. I think, if we get Sundin, that he and Tanguay should play together on the top line, and hopefully, if Latendresse is over his sophomore slump, Guillame can join them. Sundin likes a big player who can crash around the corners for/with him (like with Ponikarovsky/Antropov/Tucker), and as long as Tenders can accept that role, we could have a third recipe for success.

Three beautiful lines ... just so beautiul ;')

I am a bit worried about our back end, but assuming O'Byrne and Gorges can continue taking more steps forward than back, we should be alright. And Price will be incredible next year, just watch - this is his first break in almost 24 months, after playing Juniors, World's, AHL regular season and playoffs, NHL regular season and playoffs - next year could be the storyline of storylines.

Well done, Bob. You're the lovechild of Napoleon and Eisenhower, in a sharksuit.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

I think Calgary did well in this trade too, really one of those works out for both clubs type of deals. The flexibility of having #25 let them flip #12 to L.A. for Mike Cammalleri, who I gotta think will light up alongside Iginla?

Spector's out of left field on this one

"It’s a bit of a puzzling move for Gainey, adding another finesse player into a roster already loaded with those kind of forwards, not to mention the huge cap bite his $5.25 million salary for next season will take out of the Habs’ salary cap.

Either Gainey is still shopping for that elusive impact forward (he’s been granted permission by the Toronto Maple Leafs to speak with Mats Sundin’s agent) or Tanguay is the best he could get. "

I agree that the cap hit is high, but he's still a quality pickup for the #25 and a 2nd in '09.

As mentioned by a couple on here...Fletcher knows that IF Sundin wants to play next year there is a very good chance he will choose to play for Montreal. This has been speculated by many reporters the last couple weeks. Fletcher has managed to work a way to get a decent player from Montreal should Sundin decide to play. The article below sums it up quite well. Especially this comment:

"Mats has always been interested in Montreal. Montreal is trying to see if they can sign him now — and then we'll go from there," said Fletcher, adding: "It would be better if you guys hadn't found out."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

Yes. Fletcher is the real winner here. But the scale of his victory all depends on who he gets back. If he gets a Higgins or Lats - most unlikely - then he has thoroughly fleeced Gainey in what would be a steal of historic proportions: acquiring a major young player in return for the rights to talk to somebody who he probably would have lost to Montreal as a UFA anyway. This deal ONLY works for the Habs if Sundin leads us to a Cup. Under any other scenario, it's terrible.

If he gets a Grabovski, then he has still done very well indeed, turning a non-asset, a player he should by rights have lost for nothing, into a very young player with some interesting offensive upside. Not a good deal for the Habs, but one we can live with given that Grabs probably wouldn't have cracked our lineup anyway. (In other words, elite teams can afford to give away their leftovers to the dreg franchises of the league. That's one price of success).

If he gets a Bouillon, he's done decently, getting a serviceable NHL defenceman with grit where, by rights, he should have gotten nothing. This would make minor dent in our depth on the blueline but would be a better deal all around than the Grabs scenario, because of the significant cap savings for us. (On the other hand, watch The Cube pound the shit out of our guys every time we play the Leafs! :lol: )

If he gets 2nd or 3rd round picks, he is getting what the Prospal deal suggests is market value for the right merely to talk to a UFA.

No matter how you slice it, it's a nice bit of GMing by Fletcher...and possibly a sign of how frustrated Gainey has become with his earlier failures on the UFA market, that he'd be willing to part with significant assets just to acquire 'exclusive rights.' Or maybe a sign of how confident Gainey is in his organizational depth, that he can afford to throw away assets in return for a "right to negotiate."

Much as I love Gainey, the Ribeiro deal shows that he is not invicible to getting fleeced. So any of the above scenarios are at least possible.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'd like to add something that noone has mentioned yet. Even though many of us are skeptical of BG giving anything to Toronto if he can sign Sundin earlier than July 1 when he is free to sign whereever he so chooses, if at all. However, BG wants to sign a top centre and looks like Sundin is choice #1. At least BG will find out prior to July 1 if Mats will sign in Montreal, thus if he does BG has got his top-line centre, but if Mats does not, then BG will know priot to July 1 and can make secondary arrangements still with July 1 upcoming. If he had waited til July 1 and Mats does not want to come to Montreal then maybe other choices would be gone.

Thus the quicker time frame allows BG some choices and the compensation BG will give to Toronto will indeed have been worthwhile.

I'd like to add something that noone has mentioned yet. Even though many of us are skeptical of BG giving anything to Toronto if he can sign Sundin earlier than July 1 when he is free to sign whereever he so chooses, if at all. However, BG wants to sign a top centre and looks like Sundin is choice #1. At least BG will find out prior to July 1 if Mats will sign in Montreal, thus if he does BG has got his top-line centre, but if Mats does not, then BG will know priot to July 1 and can make secondary arrangements still with July 1 upcoming. If he had waited til July 1 and Mats does not want to come to Montreal then maybe other choices would be gone.

Thus the quicker time frame allows BG some choices and the compensation BG will give to Toronto will indeed have been worthwhile.

That's a very good point. I suppose all of this depends on who we give up. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gorges in all this. I can't see Fletcher agreeing to take the Cube or Dandy. The cap hit is too high for what you get.

I wonder if Striet or Ryder were worked into the equation? I have heard that Ryder's favourite team was the Leaves.

I wonder if Striet or Ryder were worked into the equation? I have heard that Ryder's favourite team was the Leaves.

I'm sure they'd take Ryder, but they already have a former 30 goal scorer that can't find the net in Blake. :D

That's a very good point. I suppose all of this depends on who we give up. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gorges in all this. I can't see Fletcher agreeing to take the Cube or Dandy. The cap hit is too high for what you get.

a trade of impending UFAs?

Sundin, Plekanec, Koivu. Is that too many roosters in the hen-house? Perhaps the agreed upon price for a signed, sealed and delivered Sundin is one Plekanec. Certainly makes a lot of sense.

I would be shocked and disappointed if Bob gave up Pleks for the rights of Sundin. It would have made sense at the trade-deadline, but under these circumstances it would be a gross overpayment.

Sundin, Plekanec, Koivu. Is that too many roosters in the hen-house? Perhaps the agreed upon price for a signed, sealed and delivered Sundin is one Plekanec. Certainly makes a lot of sense.

Really doesn't make much sense to me!!!

I would be shocked and disappointed if Bob gave up Pleks for the rights of Sundin. It would have made sense at the trade-deadline, but under these circumstances it would be a gross overpayment.

I hadn't even considered Pleks. That wouldn't just be a bad deal, it would be an UNSPEAKABLY bad deal. Pleks had 9 fewer points than Sundin last year, for God's sake, and he's improved his points totals by increments of 20 in each of the last two seasons. He's already a terrific player and he hasn't maxed out yet. For Gainey to do that would be categorically insane. And it would have been insane even at the trade dealine.

"Too many roosters" - without denying that it will be a challenge to fuse all these elements into a smoothly-functioning team, I have to laugh. That's what it MEANS to be a Cup contender: you have a lot of excellent players on your team. I didn't see Ron Franics, Jagr and Lemieux grumbling about "too many roosters" when they won repeat championships on Pittsburgh; or Muller, Damphousse, Bellows, Savard and Roy complaining when we won in 1993. These guys are pros who want to win. If Koivu refuses to cede the #1 spot to Sundin, then he doesn't want to win, period. And I suspect that he does.

Nonetheless, Carbo will need to show some deft ego-handling in the early going. It helps, though, that all the players involved are vets.

Bob is not going to give up very much. yes he wants sundin and who the hell doesn't. What bob has done is find out if mats is interested in coming with no risk....no signing... no player for T.O. If he can sign Mats before July 1 he will have done so without going through a bidding war and hence more than likely makes Mats a more affordable asset. Fletcher is grasping at straws to get something anything for a player he will lose. Bob is the one who has beat out all the other gm's who would have run up the bidding. SMART PLAY BOB! It would not surprise me if the guy going the other way is Ryder. We would have given up exactly nothing.

Bob is not going to give up very much. yes he wants sundin and who the hell doesn't. What bob has done is find out if mats is interested in coming with no risk....no signing... no player for T.O. If he can sign Mats before July 1 he will have done so without going through a bidding war and hence more than likely makes Mats a more affordable asset. Fletcher is grasping at straws to get something anything for a player he will lose. Bob is the one who has beat out all the other gm's who would have run up the bidding. SMART PLAY BOB! It would not surprise me if the guy going the other way is Ryder. We would have given up exactly nothing.

It's hard to trade a player you don't have rights to. So if Bob signed Ryder and I just haven't heard yet, I doubt it's him going to the Leafs........unless of course we've given the Leafs the rights to talk to him.

Who knows........Might just be picks next year or after

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE