Tanguay to the habs for 25 OA.

Mils

I had to change my avatar up for a bit. Too bad its in Colorado colours.

Well #18 is out of the question, but I wonder if Max will give up #40?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Exclusive" though? Thus implying no one else has been granted or will be granted?

Yup, EXCLUSIVE rights until July 1st!

By early december, our lovable, cuddly francophone media could be ripping this guy daily.

If he gets at least .85 - .90 points per game at that point, both the french and English media will leave him alone!

Edited by Habsfan

Bring on Sundin!

I am uncertain about Tanguay...I would have much rather preferred Cammalleri but meh at least Bob is representing the Buyer logo for once!

I can honestly say that I haven't been this excited since we acquired Kovalev

GO BOB GO :hlogo:

In Addition: Im almost 100% sure that the fat Newf, Dandenault, and Smoke are all gone if Sundin comes...

theres just no room for them...But what is going to happen to Streit? :o

Edited by l<OV4L3V

Im pretty happy with the deal, but I feel like we need a big body to make this worthwhile (sundin). I'm not sure how the lines would shape up as of now, if we can get Sundin on board then we can really fill out our top 9 forwards nicely.

Bottom line is the highest scoring team in the league got a little more offensive punch. Good work Gainey.

It's a nice deal, I was hoping for Jokinen, but Tanguay is a real solid player to pick up. He can be a point per game player. It's a good move by Bob Gainey. If things work out well he could be a Habs for a long time, if not, well nothing ventured nothing gained.

One reason I always liked the idea of getting Tanguay is that he can, apparently, play both wing and centre. In a team with a certain weakness down the middle, that's very valuable.

He also gives us options going forward, given Kovy's impending UFA status. Now we have a little more flexibility if we do decide to let AK-27 go after next season; in other words, instead of having to choose between Kovy and crossing your fingers on the UFA market, we now have a third option: keeping a much younger Tanguay. (The guy is 28 years old!)

Tanguay underperformed in Calgary, but that probably has more to do with Herr Keenan than the player in question.

We perhaps overpaid a bit, but given the amount of young talent in the system at all levels we can afford to drop a low-end 1st-round pick and a 2nd rounder.

It's a solid move no matter how you slice it.

Also, guys, you HAVE to think that we have a better than even chance of signing Sundin, what with the 'exclusive rights.' The only other scenarios I can see for him are either retirement, or playing another year in TO. Surely a 2nd-overall team with Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Kostitysins, Hamrlik, Higgins, Komisarek, etc. ranks ahead of the latter scenario. So things are looking good. Very, very good.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

This has made my day. And exclusive rights to Sundin? CAN YOU PICTURE THIS LINEUP? PICTURE IT.

Tanguay - Sundin - Kovalev

Kost - Plex - Kost

Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

That is our top 9! Up there with the best in the East, for sure. Higgins would probably be more of a 2nd-liner than third liner, but Koivu would be fine in a 3rd-line role.

YEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Finally Gainey actually does something!

Tangs should fit well with the Habs team scheme, better than he did in Calgary.

I dont think Lapierre will but Tauguay could go with 81.

Laps will prolly sell it to Tangs

Why does this signing seem to make people even more certain Gainey wants Sundin?

Dunno, if anything, this is a step in the other direction... Less cap room.

Exclusive talking rights. He's definitely gunning to make it happen.

This has made my day. And exclusive rights to Sundin? CAN YOU PICTURE THIS LINEUP? PICTURE IT.

Tanguay - Sundin - Kovalev

Kost - Plex - Kost

Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

That is our top 9! Up there with the best in the East, for sure. Higgins would probably be more of a 2nd-liner than third liner, but Koivu would be fine in a 3rd-line role.

Let's not get ahead of ourself. If the leafs did give exclusive negoitating rights to the habs, i'm worried that it may be someone like Higgins or Latendresse going the other way, rather then just a draft pick.

I would not want to give up either Latendresse, Higgins or Lapierre for only a year or two of Sundin. Although, i could see Chipchara going to the the make beliefs.

The guys i wouldn't mind losing are Begin (why would the re-building leafs want him), Grabowsky (we have enough smurfs at centre, although he may become a good winger), Kostopolous (why would the leafs want him for sundin's rights?). I'd also hate to lose any our defensive prospects (the two russians, McDonaugh, fisher), coz i'm not really sold on the ther current top six.

Even with the Tangauy deal, I think they gave up too much. Didn't montreal back out of trading Ryder for Tangauy??? I know at the trade deadline Gainey said that all the deals offered for Ryder would have been sideway moves he wasn't interested in. I would much rather have given up Ryder for Tangauy then a first and second rounder. Especially since Tangauy has actually not wanted to play for montreal in the past (according to reports when his name was linked to montreal earlier in the year). If we can't re-sign Tangauy (which i wuold hope would be less then the 5.5 he currently makes), giving up a 1st and 2nd rounder seems like a lot!

If those are our top lines, it looks good up front, but I really think the habs need to shore up their defence. From the d-men from last year, the only guys i want to see back are Markov, Komi, Hamrlik and O'Byrne. I'm not sold on Gorges yet and I'm hoping they dump the cube, Dandy, breeze by and i really wouldn't want Streit back for anytihing over $2.5M (someone stupid GM will pay double that).

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I am sold on Gorges. I think he made great strides last year. He just needs to put the puck in the freakin net when he gets those chances. I think he is a great 5 or 6 D man.

My guess is that the Tanguay acquisition and assuming that Sundin can be signed means that Striet will be down the road. I like Streit a lot, but wouldn't lose sleep over losing him as UFA.

Let's not get ahead of ourself. If the leafs did give exclusive negoitating rights to the habs, i'm worried that it may be someone like Higgins or Latendresse going the other way, rather then just a draft pick.

I would not want to give up either Latendresse, Higgins or Lapierre for only a year or two of Sundin. Although, i could see Chipchara going to the the make beliefs.

The guys i wouldn't mind losing are Begin (why would the re-building leafs want him), Grabowsky (we have enough smurfs at centre, although he may become a good winger), Kostopolous (why would the leafs want him for sundin's rights?). I'd also hate to lose any our defensive prospects (the two russians, McDonaugh, fisher), coz i'm not really sold on the ther current top six.

Even with the Tangauy deal, I think they gave up too much. Didn't montreal back out of trading Ryder for Tangauy??? I know at the trade deadline Gainey said that all the deals offered for Ryder would have been sideway moves he wasn't interested in. I would much rather have given up Ryder for Tangauy then a first and second rounder. Especially since Tangauy has actually not wanted to play for montreal in the past (according to reports when his name was linked to montreal earlier in the year). If we can't re-sign Tangauy (which i wuold hope would be less then the 5.5 he currently makes), giving up a 1st and 2nd rounder seems like a lot!

If those are our top lines, it looks good up front, but I really think the habs need to shore up their defence. From the d-men from last year, the only guys i want to see back are Markov, Komi, Hamrlik and O'Byrne. I'm not sold on Gorges yet and I'm hoping they dump the cube, Dandy, breeze by and i really wouldn't want Streit back for anytihing over $2.5M (someone stupid GM will pay double that).

do you even remember the price to get Tanguay at the deadline last year?

What is the cost of an allstar LW nowadays if he isn't worth a late pick and a second that we already have one of?

Some people are never satisfied I guess.

Wow, I'm stunned by this turn of events.

Tanguay and the rights to Sundin.

The keys will be to see if we can sell Sundin on perhaps playing

between Tanguay and Kovalev and do we have enough cap space

to sign him.

So, I admit I don't know how the bonus's thing works but can part

of what we pay Sundin this year be carried over to next season? If

so, it just makes our chances of signing Sundin better.

I feel like I just won a lottery :lol:

Methinks that Montreal picked up Tanguay to try and get a potential UFA (ahem... Sundin) to consider signing in MTL a little harder. If not, we get a potential point-per-game player - not bad if you consider the Habs aren't exactly stacked in this department.

Tanguay's arrival along with the development of kids like Kostitsyn, Higgins, & Plekanec bodes very well for the Habs next season. I'm content even if we don't snag another guy like Sundin - but I've got to keep my hope for more.

I would say that Fletcher giving the Habs EXCLUSIVE rights to negotiate with Mats would indicate that Fletch pretty much knows that he cannot sign him and that there is a strong possibility that he WOULD go to Montreal, why else do this, he gets nothing if Mats says Nope so I think there is a very real possibility that Mats will be holding a Big Silver Cup next year with a ch on his sweater. This is awesome. He and Tanguay will be the answer in Montreal. As to getting Tanguay we gave up nothing. We gave up a late round pick who may never play in the nhl and a 2nd round that is unlikely to play in the NHL. I would make that deal all day every day. and even if they do it will not be for 3 or 4 years more than likely.

I would say that Fletcher giving the Habs EXCLUSIVE rights to negotiate with Mats would indicate that Fletch pretty much knows that he cannot sign him and that there is a strong possibility that he WOULD go to Montreal, why else do this, he gets nothing if Mats says Nope so I think there is a very real possibility that Mats will be holding a Big Silver Cup next year with a ch on his sweater. This is awesome. He and Tanguay will be the answer in Montreal. As to getting Tanguay we gave up nothing. We gave up a late round pick who may never play in the nhl and a 2nd round that is unlikely to play in the NHL. I would make that deal all day every day. and even if they do it will not be for 3 or 4 years more than likely.

I would have to agree that it looks like there is a great chance of Sundin coming to Montreal. A two-year deal would be fantastic. Hopefully, BG will not have to give up much to sign Sundin early. I'm thinkin a 3rd or 4th round pick for next year. Maybe even someone like Grabovski. Definitely not someone like Higgins or Lats, that does not make any sense.

Guess we'll see soon enough.