Tanguay to the habs for 25 OA.

Mils

If we don't get Sundin I'm sure that Koivu will start the season as Tanguay's centre, but I would not be shocked if at some point Tanguay is asked to try playing centre again.

Higs-Plek-Kost

S. Kost-Tanguay-Kovalev

Lat-Koivu-(Vet forward that we'd pick up with the non-Sundin money)

I'm not sure if that is the best allocation of resources, but it might be an interesting experiment.

Gainey's goal was to get a C. If we don't get Sundin, Tanguay will most likely play centre for us. If we do get Sundin, expect to see him on the LW. I wouldn't want him to play with Koivu either way.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way that will happen Gainey will not give up any current young member of this team for Sundin.

Higgins as much as he grinds my gears with all of his lies is an important cog in this teams future and by giving him the "A" last year (way to early) shows how much he means.

Lies - Huh??? am i missing something???

I am a 40 40 man.

Dissapointed.

Unless you've got a different source, I think you may be referring to this quote.

“Chris replied, in a very confident voice, ‘I want to be a 40/40 (goals/assists) man with a big fat (Stanley Cup) ring on my finger.’

In my opinion, failing to fulfil one's aspirations doesn't qualify as lying. Don't get me wrong, I wish Higgy could finish better too, but I wouldn't call him a liar.

http://lionsinwinter.blogspot.com/2007/09/...0-goal-man.html

Unless you've got a different source, I think you may be referring to this quote.

"Chris replied, in a very confident voice, 'I want to be a 40/40 (goals/assists) man with a big fat (Stanley Cup) ring on my finger.'

In my opinion, failing to fulfil one's aspirations doesn't qualify as lying. Don't get me wrong, I wish Higgy could finish better too, but I wouldn't call him a liar.

He hasn't even failed yet. If he scores 40 & 40 in the 2015-2016 season he will be a

40/40 man (and maybe have a ring).

regarding Tanguay and his time in colorado... did he play with Selanne then?

And if so... could that potentially be another grain of salt for the wish bucket in getting a Tangay Koivu Selanne line?

actually, I also want to be a 40/40 (goals/assists) man with a big fat (Stanley Cup) ring on my finger. Might have missed the boat but that hardly makes me a liar.

Back to Tanguay, this is great news let's for once focus on the positive eh?

The bottom prospects of the first round were not a whole lot better than the second rounders.

Trading the choice maked sense.

Habs needed a prooven top six winger to fit in the team philosophy of playing well

in both sides of the ice. Tanguay fits right there.

He will not score 40 goals, he is more a passer, will not play tough thats why

Keenan-Sutter didn't like him.

What i am wondering more is with who he will fit the most on the wings.

I think it's Latendresse.

First of all great pick up. Everyone always complained around here about Koivu never having having a winger, well now he has one. Whoever said he will be a centre is nuts. No way is he a centre. If they acquire Sundin this gives the habs a very good line up. If they don't, Higgins moves back to where he belongs. Either way good move. Tanguay isn't really tough, but he has good size and will go to the net. He can still finish and put up some points.

Without Sundin

Tanguay Koivu Lats

AK46 Pleks AK 27

Higgins Lapierre SK

Begin Chipchura Kosto

With Sundin

Tanguay Sundin Lats

Ak Pleks AK

Higgins Koivu SK

Begin Lapierre Kosto

Either way it's a much more banced team

The addition of Tanguay and possibly Sundin makes all the UFA's gone as far as i'm concerned. They'll have to over pay Mats some. 2 year 13 or 14 mill.

The other thing this tells me is BG likes his youth and knows that Kovalev and koivu will never take them to the promised land. The team needs an upgrade in veteran leadership and talent. This move and adding Sundin will go far.

“Chris replied, in a very confident voice, ‘I want to be a 40/40 (goals/assists) man with a big fat (Stanley Cup) ring on my finger.’

That was the quote.

And when I read it I was jacked up for him, the year before he tied Ovechkin in 2nd half goals in the NHL little did I know he would get the Jan Bulis kiss of death and start missing the net 30 times a game. ;)

With Sundin

Tanguay Sundin Lats

Ak Pleks AK

Higgins Koivu SK

Begin Lapierre Kosto

That would be an awesome team.

If Sundin does indeed sign with Montreal, I see the lineup closer to this:

Tanguay-Sundin-Kovalev

Latendresse-Koivu-A.Kostsitsyn

Higgins-Plekanec-S.Kostsitsyn

Lapierre-Chipchura-Kostopoulos(/Begin)

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Gorges

Price

Halak

res: Begin, Grabovski, Dandeneault (nobody wants him, and Gainey doesn't want to send him to HAM)

But anyway, what matters most is that the Habs can finally have a top first line, as well as two more number 1A lines. And that 4th line could be quite efficient in a shutdown role... although we would now be in a position to dictate the play, and its the other teams that would need to shut us down ;-)

regarding Tanguay and his time in colorado... did he play with Selanne then?

And if so... could that potentially be another grain of salt for the wish bucket in getting a Tangay Koivu Selanne line?

Other then the Powerplay, no Tangs didn't really play with Selanne. He was part of our big AMP line (Alex-Milan-Peter). Selanne usually found himself buried on the 4th line. Actually trying to play the Colorado card with Selanne probably isn't a good idea since he hated it here.

And yes, Tanguay can technically play C but he's pretty poor at it. Calgary had the same idea when they got him and quickly found out he needs to be a winger. It was the same in Colorado, we tried him at C but it never really worked out.

Edited by jetsniper

Tanguay is a much better winger than a centre. I hope it doesn't come to putting him at C. I'd rather put Higgins there to be honest.

Not sure why some want to see Higgins playing centre. In the 1st round of the playoffs Higgins looked completely lost playing centre. He couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. iirc Higgins didnt get any points until Koivu came back and he went back on the wing. It was a complete disaster.

I wanted Tanguay, last year. Not sure if I like this now though. Apparently Gainey has a huge fault. He's too fair. It's starting to make me :puke: lol

Seriously though, he really is. Bob doesnt want to rob anybody so he always offers fair market value, but in doing so he never gets any good deals.

Flames wanted to get rid of Tanguay. What Bob paid though most likely would have got him even if the Flames didnt want to get rid of him. The rumours at the trade deadline of the Flames/Habs trade werent as high as what Bob just paid. I'm bummed and shocked that the trade didnt involve Ryder. Why didnt Habs do a Cliff Fletcher and give Flames the right to sign Ryder before Jul 1st? After all the Flames have a high draft pick they have basically lost so if they could get Micheal they would really be getting 2 players. I'm sure Daniel wouldnt be a no show if his older bro Mikey was on his team.

Another thing that highly concerns me is Tanguays contract. Sure its only 1 year, but thats not what concerns me, its the $. Sure 5.35 mil isnt that much, for 1 year, but my point is the Habs could have 4 or 5 youngsters next year get 65-80 pts and be like "Where's my 5 million a year?" It can be extremely dangerous having players making big money because when other players get similar points they will want similar money. This is especially true if they have poor stats making it easier to be matched.

Gainey has to loose his huge to fair fault and start signing some of the young core players right now. He has to stop waiting to see how well they do and pay them "fairly". The way Bob jokes aboot other teams having them makes me seriously fear the Habs loosing all of the great young talent if Bob doesnt sign any long term 5+ year contracts. It not crazy when you know the players are that good. Why wait till they all want 5 mil/yr? Sign em now for 3-4 before they know they could get double that.

Personally I would sign the Kostitsyns to a 20 yr 50 mil contract this summer. i.e. A.K. 10 yrs @ 2.7, S.K. 10yrs @ 2.3. Do you not believe the Kostitsyns #'s could be retired if given enough time to get more points than the Richards?

Not sure why some want to see Higgins playing centre. In the 1st round of the playoffs Higgins looked completely lost playing centre. He couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. iirc Higgins didnt get any points until Koivu came back and he went back on the wing. It was a complete disaster.

I wanted Tanguay, last year. Not sure if I like this now though. Apparently Gainey has a huge fault. He's too fair. It's starting to make me :puke: lol

Seriously though, he really is. Bob doesnt want to rob anybody so he always offers fair market value, but in doing so he never gets any good deals.

Flames wanted to get rid of Tanguay. What Bob paid though most likely would have got him even if the Flames didnt want to get rid of him. The rumours at the trade deadline of the Flames/Habs trade werent as high as what Bob just paid. I'm bummed and shocked that the trade didnt involve Ryder. Why didnt Habs do a Cliff Fletcher and give Flames the right to sign Ryder before Jul 1st? After all the Flames have a high draft pick they have basically lost so if they could get Micheal they would really be getting 2 players. I'm sure Daniel wouldnt be a no show if his older bro Mikey was on his team.

Another thing that highly concerns me is Tanguays contract. Sure its only 1 year, but thats not what concerns me, its the $. Sure 5.35 mil isnt that much, for 1 year, but my point is the Habs could have 4 or 5 youngsters next year get 65-80 pts and be like "Where's my 5 million a year?" It can be extremely dangerous having players making big money because when other players get similar points they will want similar money. This is especially true if they have poor stats making it easier to be matched.

Gainey has to loose his huge to fair fault and start signing some of the young core players right now. He has to stop waiting to see how well they do and pay them "fairly". The way Bob jokes aboot other teams having them makes me seriously fear the Habs loosing all of the great young talent if Bob doesnt sign any long term 5+ year contracts. It not crazy when you know the players are that good. Why wait till they all want 5 mil/yr? Sign em now for 3-4 before they know they could get double that.

Personally I would sign the Kostitsyns to a 20 yr 50 mil contract this summer. i.e. A.K. 10 yrs @ 2.7, S.K. 10yrs @ 2.3. Do you not believe the Kostitsyns #'s could be retired if given enough time to get more points than the Richards?

this is the most ludicrous post I have ever seen. I think you should maybe re-read it when you sober up. :blink:

Not sure whats so funny.

In the 1st rnd against Bos when Koivu was out and Higgs played C the Habs almost lost the series to a team they had beaten in what like 11 straight games.

Higs 1st rnd stats:

TOI G A +/- SOG PIM

15:57 0 0 +1 0 0 4-1 W

16:49 0 0 0 2 2 3-2 OT W

18:16 0 0 0 2 0 2-1 OT L

15:24 0 0 0 2 0 1-0 W

16:09 0 0 0 1 0 5-1 L

16:31 2 0 +2 5 0

18:24 0 0 +1 5 0

Kostopolous was almost averaging more goals a game than Higgs was having shots on goals when Higgs was playing centre. Notice game 6 when Koivu is back Higgs SOG avg instantly almost triples when he goes back on the wing. 1.75 to 5!! Huge difference. I dont believe a team could even win the Calder Cup with a 1st (or 2nd) line C that avgs under 2 SOG/game.

Gainey does have a huge fault and its that he is too fair and too conservative and is highly reluctant to sign anyone to a 5+ year deal. The Habs have a lot of great young players they will loose if they arent signed to long deals before its proven they are worth big money. Gainey tends to play it to safe and wait and pay players fairly as they prove themselves each year but it runs the risk of a player proving themself to be worth big money and no longer be viable to sign. Playing it safe all the time may not have high risk but in turn it doesnt pay off high dividends either. Gainey needs to show more faith in some of the youngsters and get them signed long term. Signing players long term also prevents other teams from poaching your next top stars via RFA offer sheets.

Teams that are highly successful always have players that are playing way below their fair market value. NJ has several core players who take paycuts to keep them in Cup contention every year, didto with Wings. Do you really think the Ducks would have won had Selanne made what he is worth instead of the 2 mil he played for? TB was the same with their Big 3 + Stillman, Cannes had deal on Stillman too + Commodre, etc. The majortity of deals the Habs could have had are just that, could have hads. :(

Bob paid fair market value for Tanguay. A 1st and a 2nd rnd pick for a player who is producing at under his potential for his salary and when its well known is in the teams dog house and only has 1 year left on their contract is a lot. Bob didnt get a deal on Tanguay, and did the Flames a big favour just taking Tanguay's salary away. IMO the 2nd rnd pick should have came to the Habs and the 5th sent to Flames, or instead of a 5th let the Flames talk to Ryder. The Flames basically lost a pick and I'd be willing to chance that Micheal could get his little brother Daniel to play hockey again. Daniel quit hockey and was a no show for the Flames and Sutter was really bummed loosing a 3rd rnd draft pick.

Not sure whats so funny.

In the 1st rnd against Bos when Koivu was out and Higgs played C the Habs almost lost the series to a team they had beaten in what like 11 straight games.

Higs 1st rnd stats:

TOI G A +/- SOG PIM

15:57 0 0 +1 0 0 4-1 W

16:49 0 0 0 2 2 3-2 OT W

18:16 0 0 0 2 0 2-1 OT L

15:24 0 0 0 2 0 1-0 W

16:09 0 0 0 1 0 5-1 L

16:31 2 0 +2 5 0

18:24 0 0 +1 5 0

Kostopolous was almost averaging more goals a game than Higgs was having shots on goals when Higgs was playing centre. Notice game 6 when Koivu is back Higgs SOG avg instantly almost triples when he goes back on the wing. 1.75 to 5!! Huge difference. I dont believe a team could even win the Calder Cup with a 1st (or 2nd) line C that avgs under 2 SOG/game.

Gainey does have a huge fault and its that he is too fair and too conservative and is highly reluctant to sign anyone to a 5+ year deal. The Habs have a lot of great young players they will loose if they arent signed to long deals before its proven they are worth big money. Gainey tends to play it to safe and wait and pay players fairly as they prove themselves each year but it runs the risk of a player proving themself to be worth big money and no longer be viable to sign. Playing it safe all the time may not have high risk but in turn it doesnt pay off high dividends either. Gainey needs to show more faith in some of the youngsters and get them signed long term. Signing players long term also prevents other teams from poaching your next top stars via RFA offer sheets.

Teams that are highly successful always have players that are playing way below their fair market value. NJ has several core players who take paycuts to keep them in Cup contention every year, didto with Wings. Do you really think the Ducks would have won had Selanne made what he is worth instead of the 2 mil he played for? TB was the same with their Big 3 + Stillman, Cannes had deal on Stillman too + Commodre, etc. The majortity of deals the Habs could have had are just that, could have hads. :(

Bob paid fair market value for Tanguay. A 1st and a 2nd rnd pick for a player who is producing at under his potential for his salary and when its well known is in the teams dog house and only has 1 year left on their contract is a lot. Bob didnt get a deal on Tanguay, and did the Flames a big favour just taking Tanguay's salary away. IMO the 2nd rnd pick should have came to the Habs and the 5th sent to Flames, or instead of a 5th let the Flames talk to Ryder. The Flames basically lost a pick and I'd be willing to chance that Micheal could get his little brother Daniel to play hockey again. Daniel quit hockey and was a no show for the Flames and Sutter was really bummed loosing a 3rd rnd draft pick.

What the others mean when they say it's "funny" is that you spout this crap off as if it is a matter of fact, when really you have no clue, and this is only the way you percieve things, not how they actually are.

There are a few of you on these boards (Johnnyhasbeen is another) that think you know what is going on in people's heads and over simplify things in order to make an arguement for whatever suits your topic or needs.

For once, just once, try and look at a situation and think that there is more going on in the background then you can see printed in the media....then maybe you can have a relative conversation that borders on realism and fact.

Until then, I agree....... your post is funny

Edited by Habitforming

What the others mean when they say it's "funny" is that you spout this crap off as if it is a matter of fact, when really you have no clue, and this is only the way you percieve things, not how they actually are.

There are a few of you on these boards (Johnnyhasbeen is another) that think you know what is going on in people's heads and over simplify things in order to make an arguement for whatever suits your topic or needs.

For once, just once, try and look at a situation and think that there is more going on in the background then you can see printed in the media....then maybe you can have a relative conversation that borders on realism and fact.

Until then, I agree....... your post is funny

Thank you for saying what most of us were thinking! :clap::clap::clap::D

(I had typed out a lengthy response to your attack but just deleted it )

All I will say is I am gone from this board forever. Some posters really have to learn what manners are before typing away as a brave soldiers hiding behind a keyboard.

I know nobody cares so carry on with your personal vendettas to drive members out.

P.S. anyone rebuttle to this post; you will be the only ones reading it because that sound of silence is that of members who will not return, like me that just don't care any longer........

My computer now tells me that InsaneHABS (what happened to Avs?)Fan made that last post instead of Boagalott.

Anyway... I don't mind that Gainey always makes fair offers because it's what makes him so well-respected around the league and it leaves lots of options open. Look at a guy like Kevin Lowe who can now never make any deals with Buffalo or Anaheim and probably a couple of other teams as well.

As for giving the Kostitsyns 10 year deals, I don't really mind that. I don't really have a problem with giving guys in their early twenties long-term deals, especially when they've shown such promise - but the brothers are unlikely to accept such low-paying deals. In Andrei's case, he knows he can make double that money for the rest of his career and can make the suggested 2.7 million as early as this season. He has no reason to take that. For Sergei, it's a more interesting deal since he won't be making upwards of that amount for a little while but it is still not enough to lock him up for so long. Andrei would probably want something like 4.5 x 10 for it to work and even then, I don't really see him wanting that - as the cap goes up, 5+ million dollar contracts will be even easier to attain and he'll be sure to get one someday.

what makes the post silly is that you think Bob can fool every other gm into giving him what he wants at a better than fair price and that he can sign players for less than they are worth cause they don't have agents which aren't looking out for their future. The real world does not work that way. The other GM's are looking out for their best interest and have no interest in giving us a REAL GOOD DEAL. All the players have agents for a reason. So unless we are only going to deal with the stupid gms and agents your dreams do not look like they will occur.