Salary Cap officially sees another increase

jetsniper

Max player salary is 20% of the total team payroll, isn't it?

That puts the max at 11.2 million.

Thx.

20% is what I thought too but it just didnt look right. Something still seems wrong even though I know that it is correct.

The max any 1 player can make seems to have gone up considerably from last year. Or has it? Wasnt last years max salary 8.6 mil? Something seems odd. Did nobody get max salary last year? I dont recall anybody making over 10 mil/yr since the lockout, and apparently last year players could have made that. old cap 50.3 mil, 20% = 10.06 mil.

I cant even think of any players who made 9 mil last year. I just checked A.O. and Crosby and they both got 9 mil last year. I could have sworn that A.O.'s contract gave him the max sal possible every year?

I guess it sounds really high now because nobody has come close to the max salary for a couple of years. It hasnt gome up that much, it just nobody made max last year.

Thx.

20% is what I thought too but it just didnt look right. Something still seems wrong even though I know that it is correct.

The max any 1 player can make seems to have gone up considerably from last year. Or has it? Wasnt last years max salary 8.6 mil? Something seems odd. Did nobody get max salary last year? I dont recall anybody making over 10 mil/yr since the lockout, and apparently last year players could have made that. old cap 50.3 mil, 20% = 10.06 mil.

I cant even think of any players who made 9 mil last year. I just checked A.O. and Crosby and they both got 9 mil last year. I could have sworn that A.O.'s contract gave him the max sal possible every year?

I guess it sounds really high now because nobody has come close to the max salary for a couple of years. It hasnt gome up that much, it just nobody made max last year.

A few players made 10 mill last year.

Briere, Drury and Vanek I believe.

A few players made 10 mill last year.

Briere, Drury and Vanek I believe.

Close... Briere, Vanek and Gomez.

Close... Briere, Vanek and Gomez.

according to the nhlpa site briere made 8mill

vanek made 8mill

gomez made 8 mill

last years max was 8.6 mill 43 mill cap x 20%

according to the nhlpa site briere made 8mill

vanek made 8mill

gomez made 8 mill

last years max was 8.6 mill 43 mill cap x 20%

Actually, last year's cap was $50.3 million, so a player could make up to $10,060,000. I'm not sure what you read, but all three players are earning $8 million this year. Those three players definitely earned $10 million last year. Everything I've read confirms this... check it out if you don't believe me.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php?pos=non...type=salary0708

Edited by lazy26

Actually, last year's cap was $50.3 million, so a player could make up to $10,060,000. I'm not sure what you read, but all three players are earning $8 million this year. Those three players definitely earned $10 million last year. Everything I've read confirms this... check it out if you don't believe me.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php?pos=non...type=salary0708

go check nhlpa I assume they know what their players are making

ok I checked what you were posting lets remember that it is the AVERAGE yearly contract that counts against the cap. So they could pay 20 million 1 year as long as the average in not over the limit.

Edited by habs rule

Well technically it's two completely different things. One person is arguing the cap hit while the other is arguing the cap salary. So technically the cap salary can only be 20% of the payroll, it doesn't necessarily have to be the cap hit.

Of course with a top heavy contract like that, the player isn't going to be making very much in the last couple of years in the contract.

go check nhlpa I assume they know what their players are making

ok I checked what you were posting lets remember that it is the AVERAGE yearly contract that counts against the cap. So they could pay 20 million 1 year as long as the average in not over the limit.

Yes, I am well aware that it is the average salary that counts against the cap. However, JMMR and I were originally talking about what players made $10 million last year, not what players salaries counted as against the cap that particular year. We were referring to what the players took home last season, not the average yearly salary over the length of their contracts.

jets is right, you and I are talking about 2 different things.

Yes, I am well aware that it is the average salary that counts against the cap. However, JMMR and I were originally talking about what players made $10 million last year, not what players salaries counted as against the cap that particular year. We were referring to what the players took home last season, not the average yearly salary over the length of their contracts.

jets is right, you and I are talking about 2 different things.

hey I already said I was incorrect and apologized.

hey I already said I was incorrect and apologized.

Definitely no need to apologize, my friend. I was just clarifying for my own sake.

Problem is : if the $Can drops dramatically (let's say it goes back to 0.89$US) the teams revenus will fall down and the owners will start to complain about how the salaries are high.

No, if revenues drop then the cap will drop proportionately. Also the escrow is designed so that players salaries will drop if revenues drop. I'm, not sure what happens if there is a sudden large drop in revenues (other than the cap falling suddenly).