-- Permanent Floating Music Thread --

Doktor Kosmos

I just got back from seeing Trans-Siberian Orchestra, what an amazing show. I can't even begin to describe it but that was one of most amazing spectacles I've ever witnessed. I had floor seats too, row 9 so the stage was just right there in my face. There was this weird mix of older people and metalheads in the crowd, it was actually a funny mixture to see. If you ever get a chance to go see them, and I know Fanpuck has said this too, you have to take that opportunity.

The conductor was talking about how he's been trying to get them to come to Calgary for about 10 years now and was happy they finally managed to do it, promised that they'll be back next year so I'm definitely gonna go next year as well. Freakin' amazing show though, I was blown away. Obviously the lazer show and pyro and everything has a lot to do with it as well but the musicians are all just oustanding as well.

5/5, two thumbs up, the concert rocked! :clap:

• 1 month later...
I just got back from seeing Trans-Siberian Orchestra, what an amazing show. I can't even begin to describe it but that was one of most amazing spectacles I've ever witnessed. I had floor seats too, row 9 so the stage was just right there in my face. There was this weird mix of older people and metalheads in the crowd, it was actually a funny mixture to see. If you ever get a chance to go see them, and I know Fanpuck has said this too, you have to take that opportunity.

The conductor was talking about how he's been trying to get them to come to Calgary for about 10 years now and was happy they finally managed to do it, promised that they'll be back next year so I'm definitely gonna go next year as well. Freakin' amazing show though, I was blown away. Obviously the lazer show and pyro and everything has a lot to do with it as well but the musicians are all just oustanding as well.

5/5, two thumbs up, the concert rocked! :clap:

Glad you enjoyed the show, I knew you would. I've been craving the concert ever since Saturday night, when they were in Columbus. We didn't get tickets because of my friend's wedding, but what they failed to mention was the reception ended at 5:30, so we would have been able to go. Oh well, just have to wait till after New Year's now, we're going over to Dayton to see them. Would have loved to get floor seats, but since we had to go through Ticketmaster, the service charges drove up the prices too much for us. I definitely want to get floor seats next year.

It is always funny the crowd that comes out to the shows. My favorite are the older people who see the word "orchestra" and think they're going to a typical orchestral Christmas concert. I always get a kick out of the ones who leave because it's too loud for them, haha.

Looks like they changed some stuff up for this year. You guys out west got kickass guitarist Al Pitrelli and violinist Mark Wood, while we picked up Johny Lee Middleton on bass. Just found an interview with one of the main guitarists on the east tour, Chris Caffery, and he mentioned a big reason that their new CD is taking so long. They apparently recorded 80 songs for it and are considering a triple disc set so they can fit in as many of those 80 as possible.

Glad you enjoyed the show, I knew you would. I've been craving the concert ever since Saturday night, when they were in Columbus. We didn't get tickets because of my friend's wedding, but what they failed to mention was the reception ended at 5:30, so we would have been able to go. Oh well, just have to wait till after New Year's now, we're going over to Dayton to see them. Would have loved to get floor seats, but since we had to go through Ticketmaster, the service charges drove up the prices too much for us. I definitely want to get floor seats next year.

It is always funny the crowd that comes out to the shows. My favourite are the older people who see the word "orchestra" and think they're going to a typical orchestral Christmas concert. I always get a kick out of the ones who leave because it's too loud for them, haha.

Looks like they changed some stuff up for this year. You guys out west got kickass guitarist Al Pitrelli and violinist Mark Wood, while we picked up Johny Lee Middleton on bass. Just found an interview with one of the main guitarists on the east tour, Chris Caffery, and he mentioned a big reason that their new CD is taking so long. They apparently recorded 80 songs for it and are considering a triple disc set so they can fit in as many of those 80 as possible.

Oh wow, I was wondering what was up with the CD since the last release date I saw for it was last month and when I checked again because I couldn't find it, it had been changed to next June. If thats the reason though then it's definitely worth the wait. Mark Wood was really good too, he has the craziest violin I've ever seen, haha. You could tell who'd seen them before because of all the people who brought sunglasses, I have to remember that for next year.

Oh, and we had people who left because it was too loud (I think, it might've been too long as well. They only left halfway through) but that made me laugh. One was a couple sitting right in front of us so I didn't really mind when they left since I couldn't really see.

My only complaint would be the date, November 5th was too early but theres nothing the band can do about that, really. I just wasn't in the Christmas spirit yet so I couldn't really get into the concert. If it was last week or something, things would've been much different. It just felt weird at that point to be at a Christmas concert.

And I'm hoping we get Alison Zlotow next year. She's nice to watch. :wub:

You could tell who'd seen them before because of all the people who brought sunglasses, I have to remember that for next year.

Haha, I'll have to remember that for if we end up getting floor seats next year.

And I'm hoping we get Alison Zlotow next year. She's nice to watch. :wub:

She isn't on the west tour? I know Anna Phoebe is on the east tour, and I thought the new guy was too. Maybe Alison and the new guy only do matinee shows and the "string masters" Phoebe and Wood do the night shows?

I'll definitely miss Jennifer Cella (vocals) this year, I guess she had a baby a couple weeks ago. She is also quite nice to watch.

Oh wow, I was wondering what was up with the CD since the last release date I saw for it was last month and when I checked again because I couldn't find it, it had been changed to next June.

It better be, haha. My first TSO show was 5 years and they were already talking about Night Castle and performing their version of "O Fortuna" back then. I also read that Jon Oliva has hinted that Savatage may go on tour once everything is done with Night Castle. I'd have to put Dead Winter Dead right up there with Beethovan's Last Night among my favorite albums.

She isn't on the west tour? I know Anna Phoebe is on the east tour, and I thought the new guy was too. Maybe Alison and the new guy only do matinee shows and the "string masters" Phoebe and Wood do the night shows?

No no, she did our show (a night show). We had her and Wood on the violin. I'm just hoping to see her again, haha

It better be, haha. My first TSO show was 5 years and they were already talking about Night Castle and performing their version of "O Fortuna" back then. I also read that Jon Oliva has hinted that Savatage may go on tour once everything is done with Night Castle. I'd have to put Dead Winter Dead right up there with Beethovan's Last Night among my favourite albums.

I'm kinda partial to their first one, Christmas Eve. First Snow and Christmas Eve/Sarajevo are two of their best songs.

Picking your favourite TSO album though is the same as asking if you like something thats awesome or something thats really awesome. They're all good.

I'm kinda partial to their first one, Christmas Eve. First Snow and Christmas Eve/Sarajevo are two of their best songs.

Picking your favourite TSO album though is the same as asking if you like something thats awesome or something thats really awesome. They're all good.

Yeah, Christmas Eve... is definitely a close second to Beethovan... What I like about them is the story that goes along with the albums very well. The other two Christmas albums didn't seem to stick to a story as well. The story for Beethovan... in particular is just so creative and interesting. Plus, you can listen to it year round without feeling weird, haha.

Got an iTunes Gift Card for Christmas, so I started looking around for stuff by various TSO members. Came across an album from Anna Phoebe, who the "string master" on the East tour this year and I liked the sound of the clips and bought it. Really cool sound, enjoying it quite a bit right now.

I've been listening to lots of old-school music recently.

Vera Lynn (We'll Meet Again, Those Were the Days)

Blondie (Call Me, Heart of Glass, Atomic)

Heart - Barracuda (wow, Heart used to be really good looking back in the 70s. And now she looks awful.)

wow, Heart used to be really good looking back in the 70s. And now she looks awful.

Uh, which one?

For being older then my dad, Ann doesn't look too bad. Nancy is kinda....eh, though.

Don't really know why, but recently, the song playing the most in my Ipod is Chesney Hawkes - I am the one and only... :huh:

According to my last.fm, my most played song in the last 3 months is Seaglopur by Sigur Ros. Been listening to Sleepyhead by Passion Pit a lot too. My neighbour caught me dancing to it while I was shoveling snow the other day. :lol:

Uh, which one?

For being older then my dad, Ann doesn't look too bad. Nancy is kinda....eh, though.

According to my last.fm, my most played song in the last 3 months is Seaglopur by Sigur Ros. Been listening to Sleepyhead by Passion Pit a lot too. My neighbour caught me dancing to it while I was shoveling snow the other day. :lol:

I added you! Didnt know you had lastfm. We're kinda Low :P

Kate Perry, serious???

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

I added you! Didnt know you had lastfm. We're kinda Low :P

Kate Perry, serious???

*shrug*

I really like her. Not as much as my recently played songs would suggest (I forgot I left her CD on repeat when I went upstairs to play Resistance 2, lol) but I like her. I'm sure if you look through all of my artists, you'll find other top crappy female pop singers.

It never ceases to amaze me that every year I love the TSO concert even more than the year before. The opening this year was freaking awesome, even though I'd already seen it on YouTube. And I gotta say, I love Mark Wood since he's one of the originals, but Anna Phoebe has him beat on stage. She put on an awesome performance.

My friend told me to listen to Fleet Foxes so from them I've also listened to MGMT, Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket and We Are Scientists while looking around on Youtube.

Your definitely on the right track there Bitton :D

Fine bands! Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal is such a pretty song!

Second album of "We are Scientists" isnt as good as the first, but decent band.

Some other fine acts to maybe check out.

- Lykke Li

- Cajun Dance Party

- Elbow (One day like this, great song)

- Los Campesinos

• 2 months later...

Yesterday i wanted to go to the Killers concert in amsterdam, but it was cancelled cuz of a Terror thread. Sucks!

Well for once they could have lived up to their name!

...lately im hooked on

, great band from New Jersey... Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan