-- Permanent Floating Music Thread --

Doktor Kosmos

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favourite dutch radio station is running its last day, its being cancelled. Tough tough tough. I loved listening to it, cuz of its freshness, great alternative music and always the 1st to play new music, weeks or even months before all the mainstream stations put it on.

Going to be a supermassive black hole (to put it in Muse words)

My favourite dutch radio station is running its last day, its being cancelled. Tough tough tough. I loved listening to it, cuz of its freshness, great alternative music and always the 1st to play new music, weeks or even months before all the mainstream stations put it on.

Going to be a supermassive black hole (to put it in Muse words)

Sucks to hear that. As always, I bet it's all about money ?

Yeah, they never made it to be a FM station, the money you need to pay to get one of those was enormous. You could listen to them on radio and cable. But the mothercompany executed them cuz according to them they had no future.

Weirdest thing, they were still growing, highest marketpart was reached this year.

Im really gonna mis it cuz it was part of my daily ritual.

Not so long ago, when the trend NHLbands happened on Twitter, the "winner" tweaked a band called "We Were Promised Jetpacks" into "We Were Promised Jets Back". Good idea by the way.

I didn't know about them so I listened to their last album.

Now, it's one of my favourite band ever. Thank you Twitter.

Did anyone in Montreal go to the Portishead concert at the Old Port on Friday? I missed it but it must have been amazing.

Did anyone in Montreal go to the Portishead concert at the Old Port on Friday? I missed it but it must have been amazing.

I didn't. But I know at least 10 people who did.

On the other hand, I'm going to see Kanye and Jay-Z in november.

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty, I love music. This is one of my favourite bands.

"Mae was an American alternative/indie band that formed in Norfolk, Virginia[6] in 2001. The band's name is an acronym for "Multi-sensory Aesthetic Experience," based on a course taken by drummer Jacob Marshall while a student at Old Dominion University.[7] " - Wiki

I was born in ’82' date=' a poor man’s son

When it came to hand-me-downs he only gave me one

At first I was ungrateful, at once I was confused

He said, “music is the cup for you I pour

It’s all I really have, wish I could give you more

But I have to catch my ride, son, I’m off to a distant shore”

You see my dad gave me the keys but I’d have to show myself to the door

Soon the words he left were too faint to hear

And a path with no direction made it hard to steer

My soul was dry and thirsty, my mind was so unclear

While wandering around and searching there

I came across a man I’d seen before I swear

And again I’d see him too on a beach with the fading of the moon

And he’d say,

“Communication is calling you it’s all in you.

No hesitation, you’ve got to see this through”

I needed something to fill me up

In my bag a gift from dad, my music cup

Well, I should have looked here first in an attempt to quench the thirst

The taste was like a melody

With words to follow so expressively

I was off to share my song and no, it wouldn’t be too long

‘til I was standing on the stage and the crowd would sing it back to me

And we’d say,

“Communication is calling us it’s all in us,

a celebration for you and me and the universe, our destination”

(How we find the answers)

When we search beyond ourselves you know we always learn

(We become so clever)

Let our walls crumble and burn away

(Make a change forever)

Can we lend a better hand than the one that we’ve been dealt?

Let the music be the way we get there

And we sing,

“La la la la la la la la”

I walked the beach that morning and I found my faithful friend

Waiting there with words of wisdom and a fishing rod in hand

I watched him and I listened so peculiar and so sweet

Saying “Love is all that we need and communication”

I said,

“Communication is calling me and yes, it’s all in me”

The cup has served me well for fifteen years

With music in my world I’ve shed some fears

And I’ve tried to understand how to be a better man

There is rhythm to my life that ebbs and flows

And at times the inspiration comes and goes

But whenever it arrives, well, I go down a take a dive

When I swim up to the surface I sing “communication” every time[/center']

More unheard music to come. :)

Haha, I love that very conservative description. Mae was definitely an emo band. In their earlier days anyway, it's been a few years since I've listened to them.

Though they were real emo, not what people think is emo. Mae, The Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, Thursday. Those were the real emo bands of the 00's. What you saw in the mid to later years of the decade was a total destruction of the genre and confusion of what it was. Bands like Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy ruined things. I was pretty much done with the genre around 06-07.

But Mae is top notch, I listened to them a lot in high school.

Though they were real emo, not what people think is emo. Mae, The Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, Thursday. Those were the real emo bands of the 00's. What you saw in the mid to later years of the decade was a total destruction of the genre and confusion of what it was. Bands like Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy ruined things. I was pretty much done with the genre around 06-07.

But Mae is top notch, I listened to them a lot in high school.

Oh cool. Awesome that you know those bands. And yeah that quote was from wiki. I like writing yet sometimes I get lazy.

I started listening to them in high school as well, primarily Mae and The Get Up Kids. The last three Mae albums, (m)orning, (a)fternoon and (e)vening are pretty genius, and this comes from a metal head. I like a few Get Up Kids albums as well, mostly Something To Write Home About. I listened to Thursday a few times and Sunny Day as well yet never really got into them.

Yeah that whole underground Emo/Sreamo scene got watered down and replaced with crap that got on the television. There are gems in each genre of music though, I even listen to this folk/country band, although they too are underground. So even with my changing musical tastes, some of the bands that I liked growing up stay with me, and some leave, Mae is definitely one that stayed and they just recently broke up this year I think.

I always like sharing good music, I have a strong distaste for mainstream music now and days. When music starts mixing with money the end results are... not enjoyable for me. I'll keep sharing, yet I won't flood the thread, I've done that in the past - not pretty. I kinda miss blogging sometimes.

Cool. Never heard of this band.

Awesome :)

Yeah, I went through my whole emo phase in high school. I started with AFI and The Used and then spun into emo from there (I know AFI isn't emo) My music tastes have a tendency to completely revamp itself every 4-5 years. A decade ago I listened to nothing but hardcore rap. After that was punk/pop-punk which morphed to emo which changed to gothic metal and now I'm more into chill indie type stuff. Although lately a little dubstep has started creeping into my listening habits.

Generally though I'm all over the place. I can't say I hate mainstream stuff because I like Eminem and Kanye (Eminem not so much anymore but I still really like Kanye) and I've got Lady Gaga and Katy Perry as my guilty pleasures. I've been big into Foster The People since last year too and I'm pretty sure they went mainstream over the summer. They got a ton of buzz after Coachella.

I guess I should probably contribute a few songs since I'm posting here. I love music as well, my iPod is my most prized possession. I don't know what I'd do without music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEGVKwURKc

Evidently I can only post one link, shoot. I had more music to post, lol. I'll go with my favourite song of all-time. Sigur Ros is up there for favourite band of all-time, I loved Takk as a whole. Just a great album.

• Upvote 1

I am no big music junky, never have been, but here is my favourite guy! Not sure which of his is my fav but this is pretty much my out look on life so why not!

Thats right there are green skeletons.

• Upvote 1

Awesome. jetsniper we seem to like some of the same music. I still like the Used, Blue and Yellow being my favourite song from them. I like AFI too although haven't listened to them in awhile.

Sigur Ros! Nice that song is so amazingly beautiful!

Never heard that song bbq, thanks! pretty good. catchy stuff.

So now I'll turn on some sigur ros and keep posting random thoughts.

Generally though I'm all over the place. I can't say I hate mainstream stuff because I like Eminem and Kanye (Eminem not so much anymore but I still really like Kanye) and I've got Lady Gaga and Katy Perry as my guilty pleasures. I've been big into Foster The People since last year too and I'm pretty sure they went mainstream over the summer. They got a ton of buzz after Coachella.

I used to work at a night club in Ontario, and they played top 40 music, and some songs were enjoyable, yet lately I've found myself not able to listen to them. Sure I like Eminem's song "I'm not afraid", yet I can only say that they're two mainstream songs that I like right now. J-Lo's "I'm into you" and Avicii "Seek Bromance". I do have a soft spot for 90s mainstream, as you actually had bands that were playing instruments, The Wallflowers, Goo Goo Dolls, Smashing Pumpkins, Creed, Tracy Chapman, Black Crows, The Tea Party, Guns N Roses and more bands of those types, so I highly respect those bands. So I understand the guilty pleasures. I liked to listen to Kesha 'cause it's so slutty, then I slowly turned away 'cause it's TOO slutty.

What kind of gothic metal did you listen to? Therion? Nightwish?

Alrighty, for the song of the day I'll reciprocate with... Seventh Wonder for today. Enjoy. :)

If there was no hockey or music on this planet, I wouldn't have come.

I used to listen to Blue and Yellow a lot. Box Full of Sharp Objects and Buried Myself Alive. I still listen to AFI and The Used's older stuff (AFI up to Sing The Sorrow and The Used up to In Love And Death) The Used especially still carries a lot of nostalgia from 2004, Story of the Year as well.

Nightwish was one band I listened to. I got weirdly specific and only listened to symphonic female-fronted bands. Within Temptation was my favourite but I also liked Epica, Xandria, Lacuna Coil, Edenbridge, After Forever, Delain and the aforementioned Nightwish. I think there were a few more but I can't remember.

I'll post some Sleigh Bells just cause I love the reaction they get. They've got an odd sound, you either love them or hate them. There's no in between. Personally I love them, I saw them in May with Neon Indian and Oberhofer and it was fantastic, all three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJ05P-71gY

I used to listen to Blue and Yellow a lot. Box Full of Sharp Objects and Buried Myself Alive. I still listen to AFI and The Used's older stuff (AFI up to Sing The Sorrow and The Used up to In Love And Death) The Used especially still carries a lot of nostalgia from 2004, Story of the Year as well.

Nightwish was one band I listened to. I got weirdly specific and only listened to symphonic female-fronted bands. Within Temptation was my favourite but I also liked Epica, Xandria, Lacuna Coil, Edenbridge, After Forever, Delain and the aforementioned Nightwish. I think there were a few more but I can't remember.

I'll post some Sleigh Bells just cause I love the reaction they get. They've got an odd sound, you either love them or hate them. There's no in between. Personally I love them, I saw them in May with Neon Indian and Oberhofer and it was fantastic, all three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJ05P-71gY

What about Sonata Arctica?

Anyone hear know the Dead Kennedys or Pennywise? I got stuck sitting next to this kid at a friends place who claimed to be a hardcore punk (this wasn't a hallowe'en party). And it's not that he doesn't know any of their songs, he's NEVER heard of them. I couldn't believe it.

Anyone hear know the Dead Kennedys or Pennywise? I got stuck sitting next to this kid at a friends place who claimed to be a hardcore punk (this wasn't a hallowe'en party). And it's not that he doesn't know any of their songs, he's NEVER heard of them. I couldn't believe it.

Then he's a poser.

Pennywise is like Modern Punk 101. NOFX too.

Dead Kennedys and The Ramones would be Classic Punk 101.

You can't be a punk and not listen to those two. You just can't.

• Upvote 1

Comon. Not a huge punk rock fan, but I own a couple Pennywise albums + NOFX as well.

Bro Hymn Tribute is even on my Ipod shuffle with only 200ish songs on it...

What about Sonata Arctica?

Wow, you guys are awesome. :)

I like all those bands. Totally thought I was alone with enjoying those bands, it's nice to see fellow HW members who know those bands.

Maybe there is still strength left in the race of men. :D

Well, I've gotta go pay rent and find JRR Tolkiens Silmarilion if I'm lucky.