Canadians Sides with the NHL on Lockout

Psycing

I read the article on TSN.ca about a survey on 928 Canadians, about the situation of the CBA, and potential Lock out.

In a poll conducted by Decima Research Inc. last month, 83 percent of those surveyed said they would stand by the NHL even if a lockout wiped out more than half a season as long as it results in a reduction of player salaries and a better deal for smaller clubs.

As well, 56 percent of fans believe the players association needs to be the one to compromise when it comes to a new deal while only 14 percent believe both sides need to compromise in the dispute.

The survey of 928 Canadians also found that most fans believe most NHL teams are in financial trouble.  

I want to know, what are your thoughts on this? Considering that I doubt most of you were included in this poll.

In my mind, Players are getting paid extremely too much money. Especially considering that the NHL, compared to other major sports, are rather minimal in their revenues.

(Apparently Chris Pronger is making somewhere around $10 million now... considering he hasn't wont at least consecutive Norris Trophies, this is a bit insane... (He has only won the trophy once.... in 2000))

I mean if a player is making 10$ million, I would expect them to be the best, every year. I believe Alexei Yashin is another one who is making close to this amount.

I know that the best players in the NHL should be able to make more money than the others (obviously)... but... anything more than $5 million is a bit eccentric.

Being a HUGE NHL and Habs fan, a lockout is really the last thing I want to see, because I love my hockey. But on the other side, I realize things cannot continue to go on like this, players will just continue to want more and more money, eventually leaving certain Franchises unable to compete at the same level, sinking them for good.

Anywayz, I'm going to perform a spell check now, so that I make some sense... lol, for now, that's all I have to say. (It is all my Opinion, and no one has to agree with it :D) :king:

1. since no club releases their financial records we don't really now how much money is beind made or lost.

2. Why shouldn't the players get as much money as irresponsible bussiness owners will give them? If a guy is too stupid to check his spending, he doesnt deserve to own a team. If teams go bankrupt buying overpriced players, then the total number of available hockey jobs will decrease and thusly so will hockey salaries - ensuring that smaller teams that resist the urge to pay too much for a player will be rewarded by the resultant market.

3. I go to the arena to see hockey players, not hockey owners. I don't give a wild crap who owns the team that I am watching as long as the players are entertaining. I find it weird that hockey fans seem to hate hockey players so much - these are the people who entertain us and on whose backs our dreams of glory rest. George Gillette aint done nothing for me except seek tax rebates and subsidies from the Quebec government and be american.

BTW - the thought that the Canadiens are losing money with a strong canadian dollar, a lucrative multilingual cable and broadcast deal, a full arena just about every night, and 2 playoff rounds is ridiculous. I won't belive it until the CH releases their books, which they'll never do because they are a bunch of unrepentant liars, like all sports bussinessmen. Hockey has been pleading insolvance since before the beginning of the league, it has almost never been true and the fact that these teams have lasted for so long is basic proof.

Very true points. I just find that the amount of money these guyz get is ridiculous. In my mind, ppl such as doctors, who save lives, should be getting the money. lol.

I kinda like whats happening now, with all the big money players, sitting around, without a contract. It's quite a reverse to tradition, where, it was more like an auction, and, the highest bidder got the player. (takin into consideration tho, that the player actually has a say in who gets him :P )

Entertainment, lol, great business to get into if you can :D

Speaking of the Habs, the owners (Gillett and Boivin) said in a press conference a few month ago that the team would have to access the 3rd round of the playoffs to break even. Albeit, that could be due to the lucrative and out of proportion contracts given to Rivet and Brisebois mainly when the Habs needed players and did all to keep them. But in the end, uncle George said he would pick up the tab and said it was fine with him. From what I hear, the financial situation is going great with the team for the next season.

As far as the CBA goes, don't only blame the players, the owners are also responsible for this huge mess. I agree with simonus' second point in his post. Don't ######ing blame the players when the owners are stupid enough to sign players to insane deals (Pronger would be a perfect example). Gary Bettman is a moron, he knew this lock out that is going to happen (I'm hoping it doesn't) ever since he agreed with the NHLPA on the last CBA. He knew the market was going to inflate and all he could do during this whole time was worry about his salary cap.

I don't blame small market teams who have no choice to offer crazy large deals to players to get fans in the seats to watch the games. But on the other hand, the team owners and management knew before investing into the team what they had to do. (Sorry if it gets confusing for this part).

They should have solved this whole salary cap problem on the last CBA when salaries were still low and paying someone over a few million dollars was nuts.

Sadly, the only way this CBA will be settled is by instoring a cap. There could be another solution but the only possible way I see it right now is if the NHLPA swallows their pride and tries to find a team salary cap limit that both sides can agree on.

Apparently Bettman wants to instore a $31 mil. salary cap. That pretty stupid if you ask me since that's below average. If Bettman really wants to see his league in action one day he should try at least to be reasonable and make it a bit higher. If it was up to me, a salary cap in the range of $40 mil. wouldn't kill anybody except teams like Toronto. But hey, no one put a gun in their head to sign players to big deals (well at least I hope no one did).

One way or another, this problem could easily been avoided if the owners would have taken a step against the players a few years ago regarding player salaries.

As for now, this is a sad era for hockey fans (well NHL fans in particular), both parties say they want to make the fans happy but in the end it's the fans who will suffer when there will be no hockey in October. I don't know about you people but I would rather watch a complete 82 game season than some half ass season. Don't get me wrong, any hockey is better than none but you catch my drift.

I don't know what to say. It's tragic.

When did money became more important than the play? NHL can't afford to miss a season, nor can the clubs and nor can the players afford to miss a season.

But I hope and think that things will work out.

I agree with you all fully, mostly because I don't think i made myself clear on what i thought :P. It's not really the players fault, but those writing their checks. It will always be too much money given out, and, it is the ones in charge who make the decision to give them all that money.

Most of the players play the game of hockey because they love it... well i'd like to believe that anyhow :P... but some are there for the money, and, after they get the money, they just don't perform as expected.

• 3 weeks later...

Because the Leafs are a prime example of how to build a winning club...

And I mean that in the worst possible way. 38 years and counting. Bitch.

Originally posted by Toren

Because the Leafs are a prime example of how to build a winning club...

And I mean that in the worst possible way. 38 years and counting. Bitch.

:/)

And every year seems to be the year. We are going all the way this year they cry. Belfour and sundin are awesome. We are going to win the cup.

LMAO

Chunky soup boy and bad back belfour are a joke.

###### off leaf asshole :-^

:ghg:

quote:

In a poll conducted by Decima Research Inc. last month, 83 percent of those surveyed said they would stand by the NHL even if a lockout wiped out more than half a season as long as it results in a reduction of player salaries and a better deal for smaller clubs.

As well, 56 percent of fans believe the players association needs to be the one to compromise when it comes to a new deal while only 14 percent believe both sides need to compromise in the dispute.

The survey of 928 Canadians also found that most fans believe most NHL teams are in financial trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the hell is everyone behind the nhl and saying that they will watch NHL if there were a lockout? If mosto f them had said they wouldnt watch then NHL/NHLPA wouldve been worried and we would've had a season next year!!!