Sundin: will he sign here? (Take 2)

Mats: predict the outcome  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are we a-gettin' Big Mats?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want him anyway

My second attempt to start a POLL on this. For some reason, I'm incompetent at creating polls. If it fails to work for a second time, please excuse my imbecility, and I promise to stop trying. :wacko:

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Yes, but I think it's really 50/50. If he signs here, I'll be happy but there are a few other players that would make me happy as well.

I dont think we will get him and i dont want him. Sundin is to old and the Habs should look at Rolston or Hossa.

Rolston is 35, making Rolston old as well.

There is little reason not to want Sundin not based around Leaf hate. He has shown no sign of slowing down

and had essentially the same type of season as the local hero Kovalev with ZERO supporting cast and no where

close to the same PP production.

Hossa would clog up the cap for 5-7 years and is a way bigger risk than a short term deal to Sundin. If you give

Sundin 2 years at 8M per and he sucks, at least you are on the hook for only 2 years. If you give 5-7 for Hossa

and he is a 70 point guy, you are massively overpaying and are stuck with the cap hit for the duration of their

contender status, and could possible compromise that status when you have to pay your maturing core.

I still think Sundin signs with the Habs, it is his best option and it will leave him with a greater sense of accomplishment

and will create a better legacy than riding the Wings coattails to a title.

According to RDS.ca

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/254774.html

For those who don't speak french, it appears as though Sundin is ready to test free agency and will not sign with the Habs prior to July 1st.

Maybe Mats just wants to give MLSE the final FU by signing with the Habs AFTER noon tomorrow, that way the Leafs will get absolutely nothing for him.

:hlogo:

Maybe Mats just wants to give MLSE the final FU by signing with the Habs AFTER noon tomorrow, that way the Leafs will get absolutely nothing for him.

:hlogo:

Do you really think that is how it will work?

If that were the case, what would prevent the Habs and Sundin from reaching a contract agreement, but not officially announce it till after the free agent season begins? That would be totally bogus and unacceptable. It really is an odd situation, though, as any other time a trade is made before you can talk to the player. I don't know why we only have to give something up if he signs with us.

Whether we sign him before or after July 1st, we still had exclusive rights to get the ball rolling before he became a free agent.

I really really hope he sign with us, since he's the best avaible UFA for the Habs by a long shot, but I dont think he will. If he still refuse to sign tomorrow, Bob will put plans B to E into action, basically spending Sundin's money on some other player(s). If come August 1st Sundin decide he want to play for the Habs after all, well we wont have any cap space left for him.

I really really hope he sign with us, since he's the best avaible UFA for the Habs by a long shot, but I dont think he will. If he still refuse to sign tomorrow, Bob will put plans B to E into action, basically spending Sundin's money on some other player(s). If come August 1st Sundin decide he want to play for the Habs after all, well we wont have any cap space left for him.

Yeah, I thought of this too. No doubt it's an argument Bob has used: "take your time, Mats, but remember, we do have other options and will have to pursue them if you don't commit."

Precisely because none of the other UFAs would represent a massive upgrade in the manner that Sundin would, it might even be best *not* to sign any. That way, if Mats remains available you can sign him; and if he doesn't, you can look at adding a comparable talent at trade deadline day, perhaps.

Food for thought.

Do you really think that is how it will work?

Whether we sign him before or after July 1st, we still had exclusive rights to get the ball rolling before he became a free agent.

Cliff Fletcher is on record stating that the Leafs get no compensation if Sundin signs with the Habs after July 1st.

To be honest, I don't see Gainey wanting to be a part of that. It would hurt his reputation as a GM. This is despite the fact that it may even be a legitimate issue with Sundin not ready to sign anywhere.

Gainey will not wait on Sundin because if he signs elsewhere or decides to retire in 3-4 weeks then they will likely have missed out on many other free agents who could help improve this team.

Yeah, I thought of this too. No doubt it's an argument Bob has used: "take your time, Mats, but remember, we do have other options and will have to pursue them if you don't commit."

Precisely because none of the other UFAs would represent a massive upgrade in the manner that Sundin would, it might even be best *not* to sign any. That way, if Mats remains available you can sign him; and if he doesn't, you can look at adding a comparable talent at trade deadline day, perhaps.

Food for thought.

I think you are bang on. Rolston maybe, but after that, who could they add that would significantly improve them

without compromising the cap? They could take a cheap chance on a guy like Shanahan and hope they hit the jackpot.

I prefer they do nothing, they made their big move already. If Sundin wants to play in 2 weeks the Habs will be one of

the only teams sitting their with enough $$ to make a move. If not, you wait to see how the season plays out and

possibly acquire a guy mid-season.

Stay away from HOSSA! please. I hope he takes Boston's huge offer early and is out of play.

I think you are bang on. Rolston maybe, but after that, who could they add that would significantly improve them

without compromising the cap? They could take a cheap chance on a guy like Shanahan and hope they hit the jackpot.

I prefer they do nothing, they made their big move already. If Sundin wants to play in 2 weeks the Habs will be one of

the only teams sitting their with enough $ to make a move. If not, you wait to see how the season plays out and

possibly acquire a guy mid-season.

Stay away from HOSSA! please. I hope he takes Boston's huge offer early and is out of play.

I am wondering if Gainey might sign Naslund. His production has dropped off in the last 3 or 4 years but a change of scenery might be just what he needs. He won't be too expensive and would be willing to sign for 2 years. Of course we would prefer a bigger centre.

I am wondering if Gainey might sign Naslund. His production has dropped off in the last 3 or 4 years but a change of scenery might be just what he needs. He won't be too expensive and would be willing to sign for 2 years. Of course we would prefer a bigger centre.

I am all for a cheap reclamation project. Naslund, Shanahan etc. Other than that. Save the $$$

Cliff Fletcher is on record stating that the Leafs get no compensation if Sundin signs with the Habs after July 1st.

To be honest, I don't see Gainey wanting to be a part of that. It would hurt his reputation as a GM. This is despite the fact that it may even be a legitimate issue with Sundin not ready to sign anywhere.

Gainey will not wait on Sundin because if he signs elsewhere or decides to retire in 3-4 weeks then they will likely have missed out on many other free agents who could help improve this team.

It would have been a smart move by Gainey. If that is in fact how the deal goes down. It's not Gainey's fault Mat's dcided to test the market and then sign with the Habs anyway. I hope the Leafs do get screwed again and again and again......

Ek reports Montreal has offered a MAJOR deal as well in the tune of 10 mil per year

1 year deal, fine. It is over the top, but only a 1 year hit. Multi year..no thanks

Edited by Wamsley01

So..........

In an interview with Mat's agent J.P Barry, Barry talks about all the offers and says this about Montreal.

Duthie asks is Toronto still in the equation.

Barry said" all teams are still in the equation and that there was a lot of talk with Montreal but they seem to be headed in a different direction now and we'll see where that leads."

Not sure if he was talking about Toronto or Montreal at that point. I'm guessing Gainey might be ready to jump off the Sundin wagon.