Sundin: will he sign here? (Take 2)

Mats: predict the outcome  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are we a-gettin' Big Mats?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want him anyway

Good to see that Bob is not willing to offer Sundin ridiculous amounts of money (ie: 20 million$ over 2 years)

16 million$ over 2 years would be worth it, anything more is just nuts.

With teh Acquisition of Tanguay the Habs will be fine. We don't need to go out there and overpay for anyone! The kids will improve again this year!

Edited by Habsfan

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see that Bob is not willing to offer Sundin ridiculous amounts of money (ie: 20 million$ over 2 years)

16 million$ over 2 years would be worth it, anything more is just nuts.

With teh Acquisition of Tanguay the Habs will be fine. We don't need to go out there and overpay for anyone! The kids will improve again this year!

well said let's keep the money and continue to build from within

if Demitra signs in Vanc and the Rangers (who seem out of cash now with the latest signings) are out of the equation then its only Detroit or MTL and retirement for Sundin! SUndin DOES NOT want to be in the West!

While I would love him to sign here, I don't think he will at this point. After all, he's a classy guy, and he knows that he'd be stabbing the hearts of the people who have been his biggest fans for years. The Leafs are the biggest hockey franchise in the world, and one of the oldest, and we're they're biggest historical rival. I know he kind of got jerked around unfairly at the deadline, but that doesn't change that he's been their longest-serving captain, he's their all-time leading scores, etc. I'm not saying it would be unclassy of him to come here, I would love him for it and it would be a great move career-wise if you look at our roster. But I understand if he doesn't want to do it.

While I would love him to sign here, I don't think he will at this point. After all, he's a classy guy, and he knows that he'd be stabbing the hearts of the people who have been his biggest fans for years. The Leafs are the biggest hockey franchise in the world, and one of the oldest, and we're they're biggest historical rival. I know he kind of got jerked around unfairly at the deadline, but that doesn't change that he's been their longest-serving captain, he's their all-time leading scores, etc. I'm not saying it would be unclassy of him to come here, I would love him for it and it would be a great move career-wise if you look at our roster. But I understand if he doesn't want to do it.

It seems he has backed himself into a corner

With his decision to wait things out he will be limiting his options, he is a loyal Maple Leaf if he turns down

a Stanley Cup chance and 7-8M per year.

He is a different bird though, so it is possible.

if Demitra signs in Vanc and the Rangers (who seem out of cash now with the latest signings) are out of the equation then its only Detroit or MTL and retirement for Sundin! SUndin DOES NOT want to be in the West!

I wonder how much truth there is to that?

Do you really think Sundin would turn down 20 million$ over 2 years to come and play in Montreal at 16 million$ over 2 years?

I think it's almost assured that the Rangers won't be able to afford Sundin. With 6.5 million$ per year and 5 million$ per year going to Redden and Rozsival, i'm not sure they'll have enough money to entice Sundin. Let's not forget that they still have Jagr to sign...and you know he's gonna cost them at least 6 million$ per year.

I wonder how much truth there is to that?

Do you really think Sundin would turn down 20 million$ over 2 years to come and play in Montreal at 16 million$ over 2 years?

I think it's almost assured that the Rangers won't be able to afford Sundin. With 6.5 million$ per year and 5 million$ per year going to Redden and Rozsival, i'm not sure they'll have enough money to entice Sundin. Let's not forget that they still have Jagr to sign...and you know he's gonna cost them at least 6 million$ per year.

Looks like Jagr may be going to the Pens. That should open a hole for the Rags.

O.K

From this I realize Mats has a lot on his mind. If he is about to retire than money certainly is not an option for him,he is set for life and realizes that. He truly will go where his heart leads him. It won't be Vancouver.

I think he will play eventually and it will be for Toronto or Montreal. Since he would like to win a cup i'm putting my bets on Montreal, it just might take a few weeks. So see you guys in a few weeks. No more signings for the Habs as I am sure Gainey would like to keep the door open for Sundin.

Mats Sundin needs more time to decided his future, releasing the following statement.

"I would like to thank all the teams who have expressed such sincere interest in my services."

"The numerous options provided to me were impressive and I have no doubt that each one presented a unique opportunity for me to finish my career in a terrific hockey environment.

"I spent a great deal of time yesterday reflecting upon the teams who stepped forward and the opportunities that each provided."

"Unfortunately, I am simply not close to being ready to make a decision about resuming my career at this time."

"I wish all the teams the very best and thank them for their interest."

In my humble opinion, NO WAY IN HELL does Sundin sign with us. If he has any sense of history, any ties to the leafs, he'll never sign with a hated rival. By not taking the Canuck offer, it tells me he's carefully thinking this through. This idea that he's played in two eastern cities means zero. If anything, he'll head west, and try something competely different for him and his family. It's obvious he would have prefered to finish up in torornto, if that's not possible, he'll never go and tarnish his reputation.

In my humble opinion, NO WAY IN HELL does Sundin sign with us. If he has any sense of history, any ties to the leafs, he'll never sign with a hated rival. By not taking the Canuck offer, it tells me he's carefully thinking this through. This idea that he's played in two eastern cities means zero. If anything, he'll head west, and try something competely different for him and his family. It's obvious he would have prefered to finish up in torornto, if that's not possible, he'll never go and tarnish his reputation.

Is Doug Gilmour's reputation tarnished? Frank Mahovlich? Shayne Corson?

Is Doug Gilmour's reputation tarnished? Frank Mahovlich? Shayne Corson?

I hear ya. It's how I feel. Sundin's got way more in the tank than Gilmour and Corson did.

If anything, he'll head west,

No he won't. His agent J.P Barry has stated that Sundin doesn't like the extra travelling when you play for a western confernce team! At 37 years old, I thikn he can choose when and where he'll be back!

After the way the Toronto media and fans bashed him for showing nothing but loyalty to the Leafs for the last 14 years? They turned their backs on him, so he will have little problem returning the favor.

isn't everyone getting a little tired of the Sundin game ?

I mean enough already - he is going to play, hes going to retire, he wants to stay in Toronto, he wants to finish on a contender...

Just shut up already - if there were at least a few other free agents to talk about instead of this 37 year old, would we be paying so much attention to him?

Yes we would like to have him, but hes so wishy washy - you wander if he did show up would his heart really be in it - or would he be like Mark Messier in those last dreadful years in Vancouver - just collecting paychecks ???

Jesus Christ... Sundin has never played Gainey, saying "maybe, yes, no...call me back later." He's pretty much said from the beginning, "I'm not rushing a decision. I'll decide what I want when I want." Why is this guy being villainized for his right to choose?

isn't everyone getting a little tired of the Sundin game ?

I mean enough already - he is going to play, hes going to retire, he wants to stay in Toronto, he wants to finish on a contender...

All that discussion is from the media and fans, not from Sundin or his agent.

IF it's true that the Rangers can't afford to sign half their roster and also Sundin, then our other major competitor for his services - along with Detroit - is out of the picture. I realize that Vancouver made him a ridiculous offer, but it's hard to believe that Sundin would choose an extra mil or even two, at this stage of his career, when he has the chance to win a Cup with us. Of course, lots can happen (maybe some other elite team will step up with an offer), but a capped-out Rangers looks very, very good for us.

Conversely, the Rangers may ditch Jagr and go full-bore after Sundin. If they do, my instincts are that he'll sign with them. They've been "contenders" for longer than we have, have a proven elite goalie, and offer the excitement of North America's greatest city.

In short, the Rangers are my main worry in these sweepstakes.

I know what you mean. THe Damn Rangers are almost always in the picture. BUt this year, i'm feeling a little more confident. The reason is pretty simple. Even if the Rangers don't go after Jagr, they still hae to sing Marek Malik and Paul Mara. Both of these players can expect to make between 2.5 and 3 million $ per year for each player. Then they still have to sign Fritsche, Rissmiller, Dawes, Shanahan, Straka...

I seriously think they won't be able to afford Sundin!

IF it's true that the Rangers can't afford to sign half their roster and also Sundin, then our other major competitor for his services - along with Detroit - is out of the picture. I realize that Vancouver made him a ridiculous offer, but it's hard to believe that Sundin would choose an extra mil or even two, at this stage of his career, when he has the chance to win a Cup with us. Of course, lots can happen (maybe some other elite team will step up with an offer), but a capped-out Rangers looks very, very good for us.

Conversely, the Rangers may ditch Jagr and go full-bore after Sundin. If they do, my instincts are that he'll sign with them. They've been "contenders" for longer than we have, have a proven elite goalie, and offer the excitement of North America's greatest city.

No chance Sather holds on that Cap space for a month

I wonder if Mats Sundin is considering signing for next to nothing in order to play with the Red Wings, so that he could perhaps retire as a champion instead of simply a great player that never won anything (in the NHL anyway).

Everyone talks about Yzerman, Sakic, and others a some of the greatest of all-time, but Sundin doesn't get that same recognition, playing almost every season for a badly managed Toronto franchise, and being surrounded by either aging veterans past their prime (Nieuendyk, Roberts, Gilmour, Corson, ...), second-tier talent (Antropov, Tucker, Steen, Wellwood, ...) or even worse (Hoglund, Kilger, ...). The one exception was maybe Alex Mogilny.

With the Nordiques, even though he was a little younger, Sundin was just as good - if not more dominant - than Joe Sakic. However, after that, Sakic played with offensive powerhouses for most of his career, being surrounded throughout his career by the likes of Roy, Forsberg, Bourque, Blake, Hejduk, Drury, Ozolinsh, Fleury ... and still today, although the team his not as good, he's still better surrounded than Sundin with talents such as Stastny, Wolski, Smyth ...

So, would Sundin accept say 2.5 millions to play with the Red Wings, and hopefully get the recognition he deserves?