1. 1. Are we a-gettin' Big Mats?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want him anyway

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everytime I hear that Sundin to the rangers for $2 million, I have to just laugh. WHy would he want to go there in the first place? If anything, their team has taken a step backwards from last year. Not being able to sign some of their bigger players and overpaying for defensemen. So he's going to take a huge pay cut so he can be with a team that's not really going to do anything?

If they decided to get rid of some players to have enough cap room, then they would end up getting rid of one of their $7 million guys. So your going to get rid of a talented guy who just had a bad year for a player who is reaching the end of his career? I just don't see it. Plus I don't see anyone stupid enough to take Gomez and his 6 remaining years left on his contract off the Rangers hands.

I was really pumped about the Habs possibly getting Sundin. WIth the 100 year celebration, the all-star game, the draft and a couple of number retirements, everything is going to be happening with the habs this year. If it's taking this long to figure out that this will probably be the greatest year of hockey he will ever see, then maybe he just isn't right for the team.

Quite frankly, I'm getting pretty sick of the whole thing and now just wish that he would retire.

Quite frankly, I'm getting pretty sick of the whole thing and now just wish that he would retire.

Agreed. "That Guy" is really starting to annoy me! Make up your ######ing mind you douchebag!!! Do you wanna play? Yes or no? You've had 3-4 months to think about it...how much more do you have to think about it?

It's not Sundin who should be blamed, but rather all the journalists that cover mostly hockey, and have nothing else to talk about. They could follow our young prospects (I haven't heard a word from local media about McDonagh and Kristo participating in the US evaluation camp for the next WJC) or work out some other interesting stories... but instead they choose to write about every single rumour out there involving Sundin.

Sundin himself hardly said a word this summer, except at the beginning that he would take the summer to take a decision, and again recently at a gold tournament that it would probably make that decision sometime in August.

It kind of reminds me of how the media covered the lockout; with nothing tangible to report, they made up stories every day based on rumors and supposed inside information while really both sides were nowhere close to an agreement.

If Sundin wants to take his time, it's his right. Similarly, he's earned the right to choose where he'll play, and doesn't owe us anything. Besides, I could understand if Sundin doesn't want to get booed during 6 regular season games next season by Toronto fans who would see him a traitor, refusing to be traded (which could have helped the organization) simply to join that same team over the summer... especially since that team is Montreal.

Yes, its the reporters looking for any little piece of info...........but we all read TSN/Sportsnet etc and we all read the same "reports".

Most of us just don't see the need to continually post new threads on it............... :wacko:

It's not Sundin who should be blamed, but rather all the journalists that cover mostly hockey, and have nothing else to talk about. They could follow our young prospects (I haven't heard a word from local media about McDonagh and Kristo participating in the US evaluation camp for the next WJC) or work out some other interesting stories... but instead they choose to write about every single rumour out there involving Sundin.

Sundin himself hardly said a word this summer, except at the beginning that he would take the summer to take a decision, and again recently at a gold tournament that it would probably make that decision sometime in August.

It kind of reminds me of how the media covered the lockout; with nothing tangible to report, they made up stories every day based on rumors and supposed inside information while really both sides were nowhere close to an agreement.

If Sundin wants to take his time, it's his right. Similarly, he's earned the right to choose where he'll play, and doesn't owe us anything. Besides, I could understand if Sundin doesn't want to get booed during 6 regular season games next season by Toronto fans who would see him a traitor, refusing to be traded (which could have helped the organization) simply to join that same team over the summer... especially since that team is Montreal.

I realise that Sundin has the right to make his mind up when he wants. BUt 3 months later and he hasn't even decided if he still wants to play? If he would just make up his mind and tell the teams who have no shot at him, maybe those teams can move on and fill out the rest of their rosters.

Sundin keeping quiet for most of the summer? Sure he has. Only problem is he has an agent that doesn't seem to want to shut up. Just when things start to slow down, he gets infront of a mic and starts talking. "Hey. It's a slow day. Let's call someone and tell them that 6 teams are now interested in my client". He should just shut up until his client actually makes up his mind on whether he still wants to play hockey. Maybe then there wouldn't be so many stories out there.

So sure you can blame the media for all of the stories. But you can also blame 2 other people. J.P. Barry(his agent) and Sundin himself. Afterall, he's the one taking his sweet time and keeping millions of fans waiting. And he's also the one that lets Barry represent him.

So sure you can blame the media for all of the stories. But you can also blame 2 other people. J.P. Barry(his agent) and Sundin himself. Afterall, he's the one taking his sweet time and keeping millions of fans waiting. And he's also the one that lets Barry represent him.

Sundin had earned the right to take his sweet time if he wants, and doesn't owe anyone anything.

As for Barry, he's only doing his job, discussing with as many teams as possible to give his clients the best possible opportunities, and various options; that's what a good agent does. Sundin will then make an informed decision about his future. As for talking to the media, he's only answering questions, I haven't heard of any press conference organized by Barry himself. If they stopped harassing him everyday, we wouldn't hear a word until Sundin is ready to decide.

Maybe it's all strategy, maybe Sundin is really undecided ... I don't know, and I don't care... I've stopped looking at news websites every half hour to see a Sundin update a while ago...

It will be interesting to watch the Rangers juggle the books on this one.

They're already up near the cap, and will probably have to shed salary to make it fit.

Plus, I guess that means they won't be re-signing Shanahan, unless he comes real cheap.

I wonder if Shanny would entertain an offer from the Canadiens.

He'd be a great plan "B".

I think it's pretty clear that Sundin will play this season. That his agent says he has been talking with teams on an ongoing basis suggests that the real issue, at this point, is choosing a franchise, not whether or not to play.

I've been dubious of the idea that Sundin wouldn't play in Montreal out of loyalty to the Leafs. But when you think about it...would Saku Koivu play for the Leafs? Probably not. Anyway, "serenity" is good advice. ^_^

I've always felt that Sundin would be a habs.

I'm more convinced now then at any point in this whole process.

I have never believed Sundin would retire. A player like him might

consider retirement if he had a chronic injury or he couldn't play at

an elite level anymore. That is not the case with Sundin. His issues

seem to be, does he have the desire to play through the pain and

towards what goal.

We've heard there are 6 teams interested in his services. They are

supposed to include the Habs,Canucks,Rangers,Flyers,Leafs and

possibly the Avalanche.

I have a hard time believing that Sundin would play in the West with

the extra travel involved. The Canucks with Sundin would still not be

guaranteed a playoff spot and he would be the guy in the spotlight.

The Avalanche, although they have an excellent offensive team are not

a legit contender. I'm assuming that Sakic will re-sign and if he does they

have no need for another top centre. Anyway they have other needs like

a legit goalie.

The Rangers don't have the cap space even if Sundin wanted to go there.

From what I understand Drury has a NMC and Gomez has a limited NTC.

Both Drury and Gomez make over 7M per, so there are few good fits as

trade partners. Anyway DO you really believe Sundin would play for 2M?

The Flyers are approx 4.5M over the cap if Rathje wants to try to continue

his career, which I've heard he does. With Brier, Richards and Carter they

are loaded at C.

I've heard the BS Fletcher has been sprouting that he would want Sundin

back. Even with Sundin the Leafs will be one of the worst teams in the

league. They have a serious shot at the first overall pick in the 09 draft

and at worst will have a top 3 pick without Sundin. Why would Sundin want

to go back to that situation in which he'd have to answer to the media after

every game as the Leafs struggle to finish in the 10-12 spot. No way Fletcher

wants him back, he's just protecting his ass by acting like he does.

Now we come to the Habs. I've said before that I thought that we were a perfect

fit for Sundin. Why would he want to come to this media circus? Well, I'm sure

he wouldn't be the C or get one of the A's so that pressure is off his back. Koivu

could handle the English media and the French media is going to have a field day

with Tanguay,Latendresse,Lapierre and Big George. He'd just be one of the boys,

but not in the spotlight.

He'd have a chance to play with Tanguay and Kovalev. Now you never know how

the chemistry will work, but playing with those 2 players the skill level would be

off the chart. Tanguay is a responsible defensive player able to cover for the other

two. If the thought of that doesn't excite you as a player, then I don't know what

does.

The chance to play for the cup, especially a 25th cup on a teams 100th year has

to be appealing. It has been written that Sundin was a Habs fan growing up, I

know of NO Habs fan that at one point in his/her life hasn't fantasized about leading

the Habs to the cup. Methinks Sundin has had that fantasy also.

Now all the stuff about Sundin needing time to decide is just a smoke screen to me.

If reports are true, then Gainey before July 1st did have a 30 minute conversation

with Sundin. That would mean that only our GM has had a chance to make a pitch

to Sundin. Could it be that Sundin has already decided he will play and has already

decided which team it will be. If so, then his indecision makes alot of sense. He's

just waiting for other teams interested in his services to go to plan B.

Anybody happen to notice how quiet Bob Gainey is on this subject.

When Gainey is quiet, good things tend to happen.

You've got Gillis in Vancouver spouting off everyweek about Sundin going there, you've got Fletcher in Toronto still saying they would consider Sundin's return, and there appears to be other teams contacting his agent.

Not saying that Sundin is coming to Montreal....infact I would say the chances are about 30% that he will.

But Gainey is far too quiet these days, which makes me think Gainey is thinking and planning, or knows something we don't. And that makes me happy

Why would he want to come to this media circus?....
You touched on an interesting point there. Once again the Gainey factor comes heavily into play. I was SO happy when Gainey came to Montreal mostly because I knew that we FINALLY had someone who would be in charge! Not the media! Not media turned coach in Mario Tremblay. No more trading Carbo for giving the bird to a photographer. What's most laughable about that is that Guy is a Quebecois Hall Of Famer (He'll get in) and it was a La Presse photographer. I thought the media wanted french. The french media cannot have free reign over this team. We've seen the results.

Gainey is in charge! The media can't get to him. They tried to criticize the draft that the french players were taken but Tanguay and Laraque were acquired and they didn't give enough credit. The media has lost it's power because we know it's foolish. Getting these players is a step in the right direction. So, maybe there is an issue with lack of drafting Quebecois but it's lost on its audience.

He is master because he always lays down the law. The fans too. He laid down the law on the Brisebois boo birds and took control there too. And, this isn't necessarily a defence of Breezer to those of you who are down on him. Gainey wasn't so much defending Brisebois as he was (IMO) using the situation as an opportunity. The Bell Centre no longer boo their stars. Gainey knew the booing had to stop to help with UFA's. Laraque once said he'd never come to us and he said it was concern over the pressure. He said that he's coming now because he's matured. I still wonder though, does Gainey being in charge make it more comfortable a decision to come here?

All of these conditions have made Montreal a far more stable environment. I believe it is largely due to Gainey. Hat tip to Boivin too.

Gainey is far too quiet these days
I was thinking the exact same thing today when the Larry Brooks garbage was proven to be just that; garbage.

Gainey is quiet :king:

Why would he want to go there in the first place?

Naslund and Lundqvist, two regulars on the national team.

Unlike Selanne, Sundin would actually be interested in playing with his countrymen.

But I hope he's aware that the booing he received when he played Montreal will be tenfold if he signs with PHI/NYR and plays at the Bell Centre. I think Lapointe and Shanahan are only learning about life vs Montreal without always being booed when touching the puck

SUndin with the Rangers? Gimme a break!

Even if that's Sundin's 1st choice, the Rangers cant afford him anymore. They have 2 mil and change left on the cap. Even if Sundin wanted to sign for that cheap, I'm not sure the NHLPA would let him :lol:

If the Rangers had, say, 6 mil left on their cap, I'd be more inclined to believe that rumour. But I have to call BS.

You touched on an interesting point there. Once again the Gainey factor comes heavily into play. I was SO happy when Gainey came to Montreal mostly because I knew that we FINALLY had someone who would be in charge! Not the media! Not media turned coach in Mario Tremblay. No more trading Carbo for giving the bird to a photographer. What's most laughable about that is that Guy is a Quebecois Hall Of Famer (He'll get in) and it was a La Presse photographer. I thought the media wanted french. The french media cannot have free reign over this team. We've seen the results.

Gainey is in charge! The media can't get to him. They tried to criticize the draft that the french players were taken but Tanguay and Laraque were acquired and they didn't give enough credit. The media has lost it's power because we know it's foolish. Getting these players is a step in the right direction. So, maybe there is an issue with lack of drafting Quebecois but it's lost on its audience.

He is master because he always lays down the law. The fans too. He laid down the law on the Brisebois boo birds and took control there too. And, this isn't necessarily a defence of Breezer to those of you who are down on him. Gainey wasn't so much defending Brisebois as he was (IMO) using the situation as an opportunity. The Bell Centre no longer boo their stars. Gainey knew the booing had to stop to help with UFA's. Laraque once said he'd never come to us and he said it was concern over the pressure. He said that he's coming now because he's matured. I still wonder though, does Gainey being in charge make it more comfortable a decision to come here?

All of these conditions have made Montreal a far more stable environment. I believe it is largely due to Gainey. Hat tip to Boivin too.

Well said, its amazing how far we had fallen during the Corey,Houle,Tremblay years.

Laraque once said he'd never come to us and he said it was concern over the pressure. He said that he's coming now because he's matured. I still wonder though, does Gainey being in charge make it more comfortable a decision to come here?

I don't think it has anything to do with the presence of Bob Gainey, but mostly that the Montreal Canadiens are now a contender for the cup... or at least are headings towards a very good season. After all, Montreal is perhaps the best place to be in the NHL when you're winning, but it's also by far the worst place when the team is losing.

When Laraque made those comments, the Canadiens were a mediocre team in the middle of its rebuilding process, and also had very few francophones players; Laraque for sure didn't want to come here simply to be harassed by the local francophone media after every single game to explain why the team had lost (regardless of the fact he's just a 4th line enforcer with very limited responsibilities).

The rumours the media keeps reporting these days seem to focus on the Rangers. Sather is reputed to be quite prepared to add Sundin and deal with the cap implications later. I live in Vancouver, and the Canucks are still presented as serious players around these parts. The Habs, meanwhile, are scarcely mentioned. It'll be interesting to see whether this is because Montreal is no longer on Sundin's list, or because the media are so unaccustomed to us being major players for UFAs that they just can't process the possibility. (A third possibility is that Gainey keeps the tightest lid on leaks to the media of any of the organizations involved - quite a likelihood, actually). As for me, I continue to find it impossible to believe that anyone would go to Vancouver over a 100th anniversary Montreal Canadiens team that is routinely viewed as a possible contender. The Rangers, though, are serious competition. But ultimately I think it's most likely to be some team from out of the blue, e.g., Philadelphia.

Are people still talking about that guy?

The media has been fishing for 2 months. They have no idea what is going to happen.

Rangers? Philadelphia? Come on. That guy is not coming to Montreal because of the rivalry

yet is going to go to Philly? The Leafs battled Philly 3-4 times in the playoffs and the series

were fairly heated.

NONE of them know what they are talking about. Berger is talking about what a great fit NY would be

two months after he said what a great fit Montreal would be.

One of these idiots is going to pat himself on the back and say I told you so. But nobody has any clue

and by this time, nobody should really care.

How many times does the media have to lead EVERYONE on a baseless wild goose chase before people

ignore every idiotic thing they have to say?

NONE of them know what they are talking about.

Agreed!

The Rangers, though, are serious competition. But ultimately I think it's most likely to be some team from out of the blue, e.g., Philadelphia.

Didn't Paul Holmgren announce that he did have some discussions with J.P Barry, but that he was not willing to depart with Brière, Richards, Gagné or Carter? He said that Phily was out of the "that Guy" sweepstakes.

I expect Barry to come out and deny this story, but then again, can we really blame that rat? it,s his job to get people talking about his client!

AS far as the Rangers are concerned, they are 2 million$ below the cap. And unless they are willing to trade away Gomez or Drury(who both make 7 million$ a year) i don't see how they could fit "that guy" under the cap.

Finally, the media in Vancouver can say whatever they want, but realistically speaking, I still think Montreal is the reasonable choice for "that guy". The Habs have a better team and are located just 55 minutes away from Toronto. Not to mention that we are in the eastern time zone (which makes the travelling a lot easier on the players)

Edited by Habsfan

I don't think it has anything to do with the presence of Bob Gainey, but mostly that the Montreal Canadiens are now a contender for the cup... or at least are headings towards a very good season. After all, Montreal is perhaps the best place to be in the NHL when you're winning, but it's also by far the worst place when the team is losing.

When Laraque made those comments, the Canadiens were a mediocre team in the middle of its rebuilding process, and also had very few francophones players; Laraque for sure didn't want to come here simply to be harassed by the local francophone media after every single game to explain why the team had lost (regardless of the fact he's just a 4th line enforcer with very limited responsibilities).

i agree with everything after it has nothing to with Bob Gainey.....so what laraque signed himself to a contract? he phoned and begged them to sign him? No I don't think so he contacted george and signed him BUT I can also be sure that George didn't just suddenly say look at that, Montreal has a competitive team QUICK Robin get the george mobile I must sign NOW. Of course Gainey's presence had a lot to do with it. Do you think that houle could have signed him.? :wacko: :hlogo: