Our depth situation

Canajun

If we do sign Sundin, I'll certainly be very, very happy with that. We'll have a top-9 forward group unsurpassed in the league. But what if one of those top-9 get hit with a medium to long term injury? That would be trouble. We really don't have anyone NHL-ready down in Hamilton to step in and fill that role. D'Agostini would be the closest thing we've got (I'm assuming Locke and Grabovski won't be around anymore). Would we be looking at a quick trade to find a band-aid?

Our top-9 had better stay healthy, in my opinion.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we do sign Sundin, I'll certainly be very, very happy with that. We'll have a top-9 forward group unsurpassed in the league. But what if one of those top-9 get hit with a medium to long term injury? That would be trouble. We really don't have anyone NHL-ready down in Hamilton to step in and fill that role. D'Agostini would be the closest thing we've got (I'm assuming Locke and Grabovski won't be around anymore). Would we be looking at a quick trade to find a band-aid?

Locke and Grabs were qualified so they might still be around.

Otherwise, there's D'Ags, Chips, Max Pac, Stewart...

Im not worried about our forward depth. I think we have plenty of skilled forwards that we could afford a couple of injuries as long as they're not season ending injuries. Im more concerned with our depth at defence. I think if markov komi or hammer get injured we may be in trouble.

Im not worried about our forward depth. I think we have plenty of skilled forwards that we could afford a couple of injuries as long as they're not season ending injuries. Im more concerned with our depth at defence. I think if markov komi or hammer get injured we may be in trouble.

I'm not that worried about our D. We have alot of depth.

We also have Valentenko, who I feel is getting close.

Timmons said of Valentenko, he's like Kasparitis, the

way he plays.

Karparitis, was 5'11 and 206lbs, Valentenko is 6'2 and

near 220lbs. :clap:

I'm not that worried about our D. We have alot of depth.

We also have Valentenko, who I feel is getting close.

Timmons said of Valentenko, he's like Kasparitis, the

way he plays.

Karparitis, was 5'11 and 206lbs, Valentenko is 6'2 and

near 220lbs. :clap:

I'm really anxious to see Valentenko in Action. We've heard soo many good things about this kid. I hope he can win a spot on the Roster!

I feel comfortable with our defense depth in a pinch - I think Valentenko could step in if needed, or even Cote (will he still be around?).

But I'm still uncomfortable about our offense depth. To me, it feels like it drops off pretty substantially after our top-9, with none too ready in the wings to step into any of those positions.

Grabovski seems to want to try the NHL out. He has no control over where he plays here, so barring a trade, he'll be here. I also think Brisebois will be brought back, especially if Dandy gets traded.

So that leaves Grabovski and Breezy as the first spares up front, with a guy like Chipchura or Stewart getting a chance to bump one of the veteran 4th liners for a regular spot at training camp. If not, both can go to the minors to save some cap space.

We could potentially see no new rookies on the team out of training camp. That'd be a first in a while.

We just would need to sign a couple more minor leaguers (including Weber on D, plus a goalie) and our depth is in great shape. Our callups (if Mats signs) could include all of Stewart-Chipchura-D'Agostini, plus Locke if he comes back. Not to mention we don't know how well a couple of recent signees will progress this year (Trotter, Maxwell, White, Wyman). On D, I think the organization has confidence in both Valentenko and Carle stepping in.

Maybe but I'm sure another season in the AHL won't hurt since he still needs polishing. Hamilton doesn't exactly have an amazing defense and Valentenko could rack up an impressive amount of minutes instead of being a seventh defender for the Habs.

You just said it yourself - we'd have more forward depth than any other team in the league. If there's one team that wouldn't have to worry about injuries hitting it would be us. If someone did get injured for a couple of weeks, we'd have Lapierre, Chipchura, Grabovski and D'agostini ready to take a spot on a higher line - or at least to give it a shot. Or we could go with a more reliable guy like Kostopoulos if that's what Guy wants. I don't see any problems.

The real question is, how many other teams have legitmate, NHL-ready top-6 forwards hanging around on the farm or else toiling away on the 3rd or 4th line? I'll grant that injuries can always cause huge problems - e.g., if Markov gets a major long-term injury, we're basically dead - but I can't see where we have a problem because we're not invulnerable to every conceivably contingency.

I'm really anxious to see Valentenko in Action. We've heard soo many good things about this kid. I hope he can win a spot on the Roster!

From what I've read he's probably a year away, but if

injuries hit..........

I suspect we'll see the Habs call him up for a game or

two during the season.

The thing with him, from what I've read, is he's a wild

stallion that needs to be reined in a bit.

But, I'm betting that first open ice hit he lays, will make

us think Bouillon who? And we need to get rid of Bouillon's

contract. :lol:

From what I've read he's probably a year away, but if

injuries hit..........

I suspect we'll see the Habs call him up for a game or

two during the season.

The thing with him, from what I've read, is he's a wild

stallion that needs to be reined in a bit.

But, I'm betting that first open ice hit he lays, will make

us think Bouillon who? And we need to get rid of Bouillon's

contract. :lol:

True, but it's easier to control a players fire then it is to light them.

Im feeling a bit concerned and at the same time hopefull

We have yes 3 scoring lines on paper... and one grinding energy line.... Yet what is our Shut down line? I too preffer offense is your best defense mentality but if we do have an inspired Malkin or Crosby or a Ryder on the bruins line (wait erase that last bit lol) will Lapierre Begin and Kosto be able to handle both tasks??/ we are going to need both 3rd and 4th lines to become offensive minded yet Shut down potential Energy Lines... this Means Chipchura is coming to centre the fourth line sooner than later... which also might mean we are trading someone up there! I could see Lats and Higgins in those roles but this would mean these line sget to play alot more than other 3rd and 4th lines ... we might up on to something... slightly more rested lines for the post season? more balanced wear and tear???

If Dandy's contract is up he will be gone. Why would he stick around? or better yet.....Why would we resign him?

I think one poster ment 08 09 and the other was talking about 09 10

I think one poster ment 08 09 and the other was talking about 09 10

I don't think either of us was talking about 09-10. He talked about Streit and Dandy being gone next year, which is this upcoming season. Doesn't make sense to talk about two players leaving in different years, especially since one is already gone.

one other thing... with Streit gone and even w/o Breezer on the roster... and the additions of Hank and valentenko :

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?service=...amp;type=roster

our D's average height is 6'2" last year we were slightly over 6.1 Not too bad!!!

Edited by CoRvInA

so then you would like us to have the top 12 forwards in the game, just in case, nice idea and I love it but i can't see it happening ^_^ We have more depth than probably 29 other clubs and we have Bob so I would say we are in really good shape right now and if we do sign The Great Swede then we will have a great team. As it is we have and embarrasement of riches.

I hear ya... I guess I'm just spoiled by how good our top-9 would be - I wouldn't want to lose any of that firepower. But you all are right - there are 29 other teams that would be envious of our position, I shouldn't complain!

one other thing... with Streit gone and even w/o Breezer on the roster... and the additions of Hank and valentenko :

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?service=...amp;type=roster

our D's average height is 6'2" last year we were slightly over 6.1 Not too bad!!!

Valentenko isn't making our team this year. Odds are we re-sign Brisebois on a one-year contract and if not, Carle might have a chance at snagging the 7th defence spot but I doubt it when he can be a top pairing defenceman in Hamilton. If we re-sign Brisebois, I'd be very surprised to see Dandenault remain here, he'll have no further use to us and he'd be taking up a good bit of the cap space we'd need to bring in Sundin.

D'agostini playing with e.g. Tanguay and Koivu on the 2nd line is way less worrying than having Zubrus, Zholtok (RIP) and Petrov on your 1st line.