Habs UFA and RFA Signings

According to RDS.ca it's 3.3 million$ for 3 years or 1.1 million per year.

This is excellent news!

For the going rate, that's VERY affordable. Great news!

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap:

God I love how we got Gorges and Max for Rivet, and the Sharks got two 2nds only a year and a half later. Makes me smile inside.

Even without seeing Max yet, getting Gorges for Rivet the Habs did alright. Gorges is younger, much more mobile, and has yet to hit his peak.

Also, great to see him locked up for 3 years, and if it's at 1.1 per, not bad at all.

Im going to guess that O'Byrne will get about 900K a year, what does that leave us under the cap for you know who?

:hlogo:

Im going to guess that O'Byrne will get about 900K a year, what does that leave us under the cap for you know who?

:hlogo:

$48,093,634 +1.1M = $49,193,634* Leaves $7,506,366*

This includes Chipchura's $942,800

So assuming "He who shall not be named" signs, then Chipchura's hit would come off, leaving $8,449,166 for use.

Edited by Habitforming

$48,093,634 +1.1M = $49,193,634* Leaves $7,506,366*

This includes Chipchura's $942,800

So assuming "He who shall not be named" signs, then Chipchura's hit would come off, leaving $8,449,166 for use.

Is that including O'byrne?

Is that including O'byrne?

Nope.....can't give a figure, at least not until he signs.

We can assume it will be less then Georges... so Let's say $1M just to be safe.

The total left for "ahem" would be $7,449, 166. but don't forget the cap runs on an average system (average over the contract length)

Edited by Habitforming

Gorges has become a pretty reliable defender, good to see him rewarded.

And he hasn't even come close to his potential, if you ask me.

And he hasn't even come close to his potential, if you ask me.

he has basically gotten better in every successive game I've watched him play. I don't know where it ends, but he is getting damn fun to have.

Nope.....can't give a figure, at least not until he signs.

We can assume it will be less then Georges... so Let's say $1M just to be safe.

The total left for "ahem" would be $7,449, 166. but don't forget the cap runs on an average system (average over the contract length)

Also, we'll always have the possibility to send Dandeneault down to the minors to give us an extra 1.7 million, if necessary.

Someone mentioned Emelin a while back. Well, the NHL and the Russian Federation agreed to not poach each other's players that are under contract today, so you can write off the possibility of Emelin coming to North America for this coming season, as he is still under contract to a Russian team for one more season.

This puts Russia in the same boat as all IIHF nations right now, so hopefully the negotiations for a new actual transfer agreement of players under contract to club teams to the NHL will be able to proceed, but it is unlikely it will be reached quickly.

Not sure how long all our Euro prospects are under contract to their teams. I know Perezhogin and Emelin have one year left on their contracts, not sure about Korneev, Torp, Benoit or Trunev (though it sounds like Trunev currently has no contract and will come to the WHL this year).

The Gorges signing, and the applause surrounding it, kinda surprises me. He more than doubled his pay, and while I think the potential for him to be steady is there, it isn't completely there yet. Granted, he's still young. It seems a lot of people were expecting something more in the 850-900k range (similar to Halak). While 1.1M isn't significantly higher in terms of cap hit, I still think it's a bit above what was expected for him.

Granted, I was one of the rare few not thrilled with the 1.8M Bouillon contract.

Yeah, it is a tad higher than expected but I think he deserves a lot more than his bargaining power permits him to take. I love his game and I would call him our best defenceman out of the big three of Hamrlik, Markov and Komisarek.

With the way he improved last year, I think it was a great signing. Unless he totally tanks...and judging by his determinination and work ethic, I can't see it, I think he will be a great 5 6 D for a good price.

With the way he improved last year, I think it was a great signing. Unless he totally tanks...and judging by his determinination and work ethic, I can't see it, I think he will be a great 5 6 D for a good price.

Everyone said the same thing about Bouillon.

Everyone said the same thing about Bouillon.

Bouillon was about 27 when people made comments like that and he was undrafted and took a strange route to the NHL. Gorges is 23 and has been playing in the NHL for a couple of years already, earning a regular shift on two of the best teams in the league. He is improved steadily over those years - what reason is there to think he will suddenly start to get worse? Bouillon is not an awful player, our standards have simply increased and he no longer meets them. Besides, he still IS a decent #5-6 defenceman for us. Gorges is just the perfect player for us the way Begin was our perfect player in 2005-2006 and Kostopoulos was in our recent playoff run. Comparing him to Bouillon just makes no sense.

Bouillon was about 27 when people made comments like that and he was undrafted and took a strange route to the NHL. Gorges is 23 and has been playing in the NHL for a couple of years already, earning a regular shift on two of the best teams in the league. He is improved steadily over those years - what reason is there to think he will suddenly start to get worse? Bouillon is not an awful player, our standards have simply increased and he no longer meets them. Besides, he still IS a decent #5-6 defenceman for us. Gorges is just the perfect player for us the way Begin was our perfect player in 2005-2006 and Kostopoulos was in our recent playoff run. Comparing him to Bouillon just makes no sense.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, Bouillon signed for more than 1.1 million per, i believe closer to 2.

Also, I don't think Bouillon has quite been the same since his ankle injury at the end of the 2006 season and then the knee injury before the following season. Not a knock on him, just an observation. Leg injuries like that can change careers.

Also, I don't think Bouillon has quite been the same since his ankle injury at the end of the 2006 season and then the knee injury before the following season. Not a knock on him, just an observation. Leg injuries like that can change careers.

Mostly I think Bouillon hasn't been the same since becoming a permanent player on the blue line. He was a luxury reserve player, but with his size, style of play, and hi sposition (defenseman log a lot more ice time than forwards), he just cannot play at a high level for 82 games. In 2005-06, he was playing over 20 minutes on average every game, and he started struggling until he got insured. Then, he came back much stronger for the playoffs because, in my opinion, he got some much needed rest.

The same can be said for Begin, who plays at his best with limited ice time so that he can give everything he's got, jump in front of pucks, finish every check, ... When Begin plays 12-15 minutes, he has to manage his energy, and becomes kinda useless because he doesn't have the skills, hockey sense, size. shooting or passing abilities, etc to be helpful on the ice.

Ideally, I would like to see Begin and Bouillon become luxury reserve players again this season, perhaps sharing their ice time with younger players such as Valentenko/Carle and Chipchura/Stewart. This way, we would get the most out of them while giving good prospects a chance to develop and gain valable experience at the NHL level... not to mention that we need to evaluate some of the kids because a lot more are coming over the next 2 years, and not everyone will get a chance; we will lose good kids, and we need to make sure we keep the best.

Bouillon and Begin i believe will both be gone at the end of the year. Both contracts are up and with the depth there aren't really spots for them that youngsters couldn't do better.

McDonagh will take Bouillon's spot next year. Peopel can argue he may need AHL time but i don't think he will. He Like Pacioretty are physically ready now, they play for top teams against very good competition.

I agree with Cerebus on Begin, i look at it he should play 2 out of 3 games to give his body a rest. 12 minutes a night is fine, he gets injured alot the way he plays.

Bouillon and Begin i believe will both be gone at the end of the year. Both contracts are up and with the depth there aren't really spots for them that youngsters couldn't do better.

McDonagh will take Bouillon's spot next year. Peopel can argue he may need AHL time but i don't think he will. He Like Pacioretty are physically ready now, they play for top teams against very good competition.

I agree with Cerebus on Begin, i look at it he should play 2 out of 3 games to give his body a rest. 12 minutes a night is fine, he gets injured alot the way he plays.

between Kosto, Lapierre and Laraque I cannot maybe see at most 55 games (about 2/3) for Begin, but would not be surprised to see him get less. I guess it all depends on how Lapierre looks this year.

I doubt McDonagh comes up next year if only because I figure he'd need at least half a season in the AHL. I am no expert on NCAA hockey, but I notice that he plays his home games on an international sized rink - that alone may mean that he needs AHL time to adjust his defensive game to the smaller ice.

I doubt McDonagh comes up next year if only because I figure he'd need at least half a season in the AHL. I am no expert on NCAA hockey, but I notice that he plays his home games on an international sized rink - that alone may mean that he needs AHL time to adjust his defensive game to the smaller ice.

Regardless whether McDonagh's ready or not, we also need to give Valentenko and/or Carle their shot in the NHL, especially Valentenko who could become a great replacement for Bouillon as a defensive-minded 6th defenseman (plus he's a lot bigger and stronger).

With Markov, Hamrlik, Gorges, and hopefully Komisarek and O'Byrne signed for the next few years, that won't give us too many opportunities to evalute (and expose if we want to trade them for a decent return) our many prospects at that position.

Actually, I wonder if Gainey would consider trading Komisarek if Ryan O'Byrne emerges as a great shutdown defenseman this season... I would love to see Komisarek retire as a habs, but if we can get a great return for him, and O'Byrne becomes a potential replacement, it would be something to think about...

However, since we want to contend this year, I don't see it happening... (and in a way I would prefer signing Komisarek for several years).