Habs UFA and RFA Signings

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks BG, you've brought one of my favourite players to the habs

:ghg:

Edited by MMPL

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be awesome. IMO, Pittsburgh misused Laraque. They put him in a checking role far too often. It's cool that he plays that style and position and brings the toughness he does. But, they should have used him in a more offensive role. Back when the Oilers faced the Canes in the SC final, I remember Don Cherry saying he should be promoted and play power forward. I agreed. He has demonstrated this power forward style before. Carbo could from time to time (sneak him out with...) employ a Laraque-Koivu-Tanguay line. He could even play with Pleks and Kostitsyn/Kovalev. Le ROCK has the tools to be a pr_ck in the slot. He scored that beaut against the Sens in game 1 of that series this year.

Also, he is arguably the toughest fighter in the league. I believe he is personally. If the Habs use him correctly we ought to be very happy.

:)

I don't really like the signing at 1.5M per but he has more use than Dandy.

He was making 1.3 last year ... with the crazy prizes going around now I'm surprised he came that cheap... must be the NTC

Brilliant signing for so many different reasons. First and foremost? Character. Gainey continues to fill the room with quality PEOPLE who will go to war for one another. (And war is exactly what Laraque will bring.) He may not be fast, he may have hands of stone and he may not be the best defensively, but what he is is a quality person who will defend his teammates, work his butt off, and bring so many intangibles that there's not enough room to list them. Think of the extra couple of yards of space this signing just made for Kovalev and Koivu! Don't touch our stars or we'll pound you into next season.

Absolutely brilliant.

The price is phenominal as well, in my estimation. You can argue that, for what he brings on the ice, he's way overpaid, however the respect our stars will be given is worth any difference by itself. Plus, in this day and age where salaries are inflating faster than Mike Tyson's ego, the numbers are equivalent to a second pro contract - he really is coming at a bargain.

Honestly, in my opinion anyhow (which doesn't necessarily count for as much as the pixels it takes to post it online), this is better than 98% of the UFA's out there. Aside from Sundin, perhaps Hossa, and one or two others, this is *exactly* the kind of thing Montreal will need to really run at the Cup.

Georges Laraque is heading home.

The native of Montreal, Quebec has signed a three-year contract with the Canadiens, reportedly worth $4.5 million. The deal includes a partial no-trade clause.

Laraque spent last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins, where he tallied 13 points and 141 penalty minutes in 71 games.

Orginally an Edmonton Oilers draft pick in 1995, Laraque has spent time with the Penguins and the Phoenix Coyotes.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242393&amp...s=secStory_main

I was really surprised. Theres our enforcer!!!!

Edited by Habsfan84

I never thought in a million years we would have the toughest player in the NHL put on the red white and blue. Oh shit! I have been wanting this for our team for years. An a$$ kicking mofo that can play. Out of everyone, you know who's balls just got bigger. Lil ####. He started crap on his own anyway, now with big George around he'll become even braver. I Friggin LOVE iT!!!!!!

Who's moving out?

I am happy. Bringing Laraque in INSTANTLY makes our skill guys 25-50% braver and more effective.

Exactly what I was about to say!

Great move by Bob! :clap::clap:

Who's moving out?

I think it's safe to say that we can say Bye-bye to Dandy!

Bégin-Kosto-Laraque as a 4th line...pretty impressive!

Another thing I like about this deal is that Laraque is only 31 years old. I thought he was 33 or 34. Once again, this is fu.cking Grrrrrrrreat news!

Edited by Habsfan

At first i was kind of pissed off but now i realize its only 1.5 million per season and he will provide us with some toughness and he can go in those tough places along the boards and in front of the net. We still have lots of cap room Bob, whats your next move.

Awesome, the Habs finally get a legitimate fighter. Souray and Komi are decent, but are too valuable to be in the box. Kostopoulos was willing to throw down, but it no enforcer. We've had enforces like Downey who don't play much hockey. Finally we get a top notch fighter who isn't a total liability on the ice. Now time to trade Dandy to TB, TOR, or CBJ for a 1st rounder. Yeah, that's how bad those GMs are.

Awesome, the Habs finally get a legitimate fighter. Souray and Komi are decent, but are too valuable to be in the box. Kostopoulos was willing to throw down, but it no enforcer. We've had enforces like Downey who don't play much hockey. Finally we get a top notch fighter who isn't a total liability on the ice. Now time to trade Dandy to TB, TOR, or CBJ for a 1st rounder. Yeah, that's how bad those GMs are.

Hell, Dandy is a versatile guy - forward AND defense. I see Nash in Montreal's future.

*ring ring*

"Oh mister HOWSONNNnnnnnn......"

Finally... a legit enforcer. Like so many others have already stated, our team will be braver and more effective as a result. And Laraque brings more than just fists. He's a big presence on the ice, and paired with a few speedsters/agitators (Laps and Begin?) he'll be part of a great shutdown/energy line.

I guess the question is, who loses their spot on the roster? Or is he taking Grabs? :D

Finally some toughness. Praise the lord. I've called on it for years and here it is.

I wouldn't worry who is out on the 4th line, Begin Kosto or Laraque, they can all play, this gives them depth and competetion and GC can sit one of these guys out for back to back games, protect Begin since he is injury prone.

I think the odd man out is Smoke.

Finally some toughness. Praise the lord. I've called on it for years and here it is.

I wouldn't worry who is out on the 4th line, Begin Kosto or Laraque, they can all play, this gives them depth and competetion and GC can sit one of these guys out for back to back games, protect Begin since he is injury prone.

I think the odd man out is Smoke.

I think we all expected that Smoke and Ryder were gone. The same for Dandy. IF bob can't trade him, he'll buy him out!

I think we all expected that Smoke and Ryder were gone. The same for Dandy. IF bob can't trade him, he'll buy him out!

I believe the buyout period is over.