Kostitsyn Signs for 3 years

Wamsley01

TSN reporting Raycroft to the Avalanche. Poor Mils and Jets.

It's a cap killer if he retires after one season.

Well, I would expect that if Mats waited 36 weeks to decide that he wanted to play that he would not sign a 2 year deal

if he needed another 36 weeks to decide if he wanted to play next year

Dude, the Habs CAN'T offer 10 million. That would leave only 4 million to resign Gorges, O'Byrne, Halak, and Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn alone will be getting 3 of that.

Huet was asking 5 million a year for 5 years. He brought free agency upon himself.

3.25 for AK

Edited by Wamsley01

WOW!! That is a great contract for the Habs. I was sure that it would be for more - instead he signed for what is *actually* a fair and sensible rate given his career up to this point.

WAY TO GO BOB!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great signing for both parties, IMO!

And you're totally right, JMMR. There should never be a year with 2 Kostitsyn signings.

Great contract, considering how much dough is being given left and right these days! Now signing the rest of our RFAs should be an administrative formality.

Between this contract - eminently fair and level-headed - and the idiocy that's transpiring out there in other cities, I have five words I'd like to share:

THANK GOD FOR BOB GAINEY.

It's a fair contract but I don't think it's anything worth celebrating about. Obviously, I'd rather be paying this type of money to Andrei Kostitsyn than to Jeff Finger like the Leafs, but really, this is the type of money that a currently second line player deserves to be getting.

somehow I wish he was signed for longer than 3 years.

great signing. 3.25 will be bargain for andrei !!

It's a fair contract but I don't think it's anything worth celebrating about. Obviously, I'd rather be paying this type of money to Andrei Kostitsyn than to Jeff Finger like the Leafs, but really, this is the type of money that a currently second line player deserves to be getting.

He wasn't a second line player last season. He played on the first line and if he played on the first PP unit

all season his points would have reflected that.

This is a solid signing and at the rate that some players are going for out there will prove to be a steal.

AS for Jeff Finger. The Leafs have blown me away in their ineptness.

At least the Habs got to see AK46 day in and day out and have monitored his progress for 5-6 seasons,

can somebody please explain to me where the Leafs got their assesment from

He wasn't a second line player last season. He played on the first line and if he played on the first PP unit

all season his points would have reflected that.

This is a solid signing and at the rate that some players are going for out there will prove to be a steal.

AS for Jeff Finger. The Leafs have blown me away in their ineptness.

At least the Habs got to see AK46 day in and day out and have monitored his progress for 5-6 seasons,

can somebody please explain to me where the Leafs got their assesment from

53 points is a second line player.

Yeah, besides Kovalev I dont really see who else will get more pts than A Kost in our team. Tanguay maybe?

53 points is a second line player.

That is such simplistic thinking.

If a player plays 40 games on the 3rd line and gets 18 points and gets promoted to the top line for the last 40 games

and and scores 35 points in 40 games and then plays every game of the playoffs on the first line you wouldn't consider him

a first line player because he only had 53 points?

Whatever floats your boat

Edited by Wamsley01

That is such simplistic thinking.

If a player plays 40 games on the 3rd line and gets 18 points and gets promoted to the top line for the last 40 games

and and scores 35 points in 40 games and then plays every game of the playoffs on the first line you wouldn't consider him

a first line player because he only had 53 points?

Whatever floats your boat

He plays on our first line, yes. He has first line talent and will be a first line player. But last year he was a second liner in the NHL.

He played with first line talent - including one of the most dominant forwards in the league last season and then a centre that he has great chemistry with. He got a chance on the powerplay and had a chance to play with his brother as well. The circumstances were pretty good for him.

Your example is totally irrelevant - like you said, he's been on our first line.

My point is that ON THE MARKET that we're seeing today, Kostytsin is worth more than that. Are you telling me some moronic team somewhere in the league wouldn't have offered Kosty over $4 mil? Please.

Great signing, period.

He plays on our first line, yes. He has first line talent and will be a first line player. But last year he was a second liner in the NHL.

He played with first line talent - including one of the most dominant forwards in the league last season and then a centre that he has great chemistry with. He got a chance on the powerplay and had a chance to play with his brother as well. The circumstances were pretty good for him.

Your example is totally irrelevant - like you said, he's been on our first line.

I think what he did last year would probably go for more than 3.25 on the open market, but you have to also remember that part of his market valuation is determined by what he will do. At his age and skill level and previous performance, most would predict that he will improve over the next 3 years. That has to be factored in when analyzing his contract. Look at comps around this league, I think we got a good deal.

he played the last 40 games on the first line plus the playoffs. He is a first line player.

If you finish the season on the first line, you are a first line player.

I tend to look at it as a first line player for a second line salary, not the other way around.

Edited by Wamsley01