Gainey: Genius?

ForumGhost

Next summer will be Gainey's big test. We have tons and tons of money coming off the books.

Koivu

Kovalev

Bouillon

Dandenault

Begin

Kostopolous

Tanguay

Komisarek

Some big salaries there.

Who does he let walk (yes, some are obvious) and who does he re-sign. Will Koivu be back at a lesser salary for a short term contract or a long term contract? What about Kovalev? How much will Komisarek cost us?

Next summer will be an interesting one.

Higgins and Plekanec also have expiring contracts and they will be doubling or tripling their salaries.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been extremely impressed with he has done this summer, more so than any other summer he's been GM. :popcorn:

Bob Gainey is doing a great job this summer so far. He's made good, planned, calculated decisions, and whether they pan out or not (sometimes good decisions have bad results) I can't really find anything wrong with his decisions (although once again I'm not sold on Tanguay, and I would have liked someone tougher and grittier).

Yeah, I like that he made a pre-emptive move in getting Tanguay prior to UFA. The last few offseasons the team was going after big names, failing, then gambling on second-rate guys (e.g. Samsonov).

yes I agree with your comments which is not a surprise since I quite often agree with you. But lets be honest Sammy was gm in a completely different era. He had no salary cap and no free agency to speak of. It was a completely different world but I would say he was the Tiger Woods of his time as GM. Ok maybe Jack. Anyway Bob has done an exceptional job and the remarks I hear oh well if he had signed this guy or that guy it would have been a mistake. There is no way to know that since it did not happen. Who knows what would have happened if we had signed Briere? I sure as hell don't. It would have been for a lot of money (more than I think we should spend ) but could it have been the cup? would it have been worth it then? Judge the man on what he actually did not on might have beens and circumstances beyond his control. Genius? Who cares He is a great GM. and we will win the cup. :hlogo:

I agree this is a different era than Pollock's time, but he understood the value of the draft before anybody else did

and generations of close minded thinking GMs were throwing picks around like candy. I fell it is no different than the

drunken idiots tossing around long term, big $$ contracts in the cap era.

He saw something years before anybody else. Maybe visionary is a better term for Pollock.

I agree this is a different era than Pollock's time, but he understood the value of the draft before anybody else did

and generations of close minded thinking GMs were throwing picks around like candy. I fell it is no different than the

drunken idiots tossing around long term, big $$ contracts in the cap era.

He saw something years before anybody else. Maybe visionary is a better term for Pollock.

sounds good to me but I amstill going to call him a genius just to piss the gainey haters off :lol:

Yeah, I like that he made a pre-emptive move in getting Tanguay prior to UFA. The last few offseasons the team was going after big names, failing, then gambling on second-rate guys (e.g. Samsonov).

To be fair, I think that when we signed Samsonov he was a similar player to what Tanguay is now, at least offensively. Up to that point, he had proven that he could be a 70 point speedy, playmaking left-winger, just like Tanguay has so far.

To be fair, I think that when we signed Samsonov he was a similar player to what Tanguay is now, at least offensively. Up to that point, he had proven that he could be a 70 point speedy, playmaking left-winger, just like Tanguay has so far.

I agree to a certain extent... But... personally, I felt that Sammy's stock had already fallen by the point that Gainey came calling. I watched him throughout the Oilers playoff run that year, and even with decent stats, I thought that he disappeared in clutch moments. I personally think that Tanguay is a more complete player, and his stats, although comparable to Samsonov's, are definitely superior.

I don't think it was a bad idea for Bob to sign him, but I wasn't impressed with that acquisition like am I with that of Tanguay. In fact, I remember bemoaning the fact that we'd signed Samsonov prior to Dumont's arbitration being settled.

I don't think it was a bad idea for Bob to sign him, but I wasn't impressed with that acquisition like am I with that of Tanguay. In fact, I remember bemoaning the fact that we'd signed Samsonov prior to Dumont's arbitration being settled.

the samsonov signing was questioned by many if not most during that offseason. I think the headline on HW was something like "Plan F"

The thing is would there be anyone else you would rather have running the Canadiens than Gainey?

For me the answer is No - does that make him a Genius?

Not necessarily, but I have loved all his moves so far this summer.

The thing is would there be anyone else you would rather have running the Canadiens than Gainey?

For me the answer is No - does that make him a Genius?

Not necessarily, but I have loved all his moves so far this summer.

I would rather have Ken Holland running the Habs, but since he's in Detroit, Bob Gainey would be my next choice

• 2 weeks later...

If That's Sardine comes back, I am still worried over weather or not I want him in the tri-colour. He is having such a hard time deciding if he wants to play, if he still has the "desire"? Ok guys, hands up if you played hockey. Ok, now if you still play, put your hands down. Ok, now the rest of you, which includes me with bad knees, a son in Timbit's who wants me back in nets; Was it the desire for the game that you lost when you stopped? I still "desire" to play every season. Great player? Did Howe ever lose his "desire". Rich bum. Played his only great playoff hockey vs Alferdson. Personal matter, no real "desire" for the cup that I saw. He is a very talented player, that can dominate. Doesn't make him great. Greatness is a bit more. (see Doug Gilmour). Now that we all know he is questioning his "desire" that we all know to be questionable to begin with, I have to wonder if I do want the guy. At first glance it was , hate him but hell yes. (never hated D.G. 4 the record) But now.....I pass, save the money, we will be in a heavy top seed race come all-star break/ trade deadline. We'll have real buying power as teams start to dump for the run at the draft lottery. This year we get the "Hossa". Why blow a huge year or two's cap money on him? It would be poetic though to see him win a cup in the CH though. LMAO, again (See D.G.) Not saying don't grap a star if he comes a knockin'., but don't blow the whole wad. There will be lots available and we all want that big name that is sure to come available at crunch time. I like the idea of always having a bankroll at hand. I just want it spent well come end game, ie: the cup run next year.

By the way. The French media problem must be solved buy now. We have 5 forwards, 2 defencemen and a goalie born in PQ on the current roster posted at the official site. They can't argue that!

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?service=...amp;type=roster

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

We'll have real buying power as teams start to dump for the run at the draft lottery. This year we get the "Hossa". Why blow a huge year or two's cap money on him?

At this point, Sundin will only cost money. I'd rather blow cap space this year than have to give up picks and prospects for the "Hossa" come trade deadline. And that's if we can even land that impact player...

I do agree with you that Mats' hesitance to commit is troubling... but I can appreciate how this is something he needs to do at this point in his career. Regardless of where he plays, Sundin faces extraordinary amounts of pressure to dominate, and I'm sure it is his desire to carry that weight on his shoulders that he is considering... not simply just the desire to play hockey. Sundin has been carrying the Leafs for years now, and that is bound to have taken its toll.

At this point, Sundin will only cost money. I'd rather blow cap space this year than have to give up picks and prospects for the "Hossa" come trade deadline. And that's if we can even land that impact player...

I agree, if we can sign Mats Sundin for "free", it is much better than trading for a rental player at the trade deadline, which would cost us top draft picks and most likely at least one good young player like Max Pacioretty. Also, signing Sundin before training camp gives us a lot of time to maximize team and line chemistry and make adjustments, which is not the case with rental players.

Besides, there probably won't be anything great for us at the trade deadline, I doubt Detroit will trade us Zetterberg or Hossa while I don't see Bob Gainey trading for both Sedin twins. Unless we think that Martin Havlat is the player who will make the difference, we'll only be filling holes.

I agree, if we can sign Mats Sundin for "free", it is much better than trading for a rental player at the trade deadline, which would cost us top draft picks and most likely at least one good young player like Max Pacioretty. Also, signing Sundin before training camp gives us a lot of time to maximize team and line chemistry and make adjustments, which is not the case with rental players.

Besides, there probably won't be anything great for us at the trade deadline, I doubt Detroit will trade us Zetterberg or Hossa while I don't see Bob Gainey trading for both Sedin twins. Unless we think that Martin Havlat is the player who will make the difference, we'll only be filling holes.

If Mats says no, you take your shot with the team you have and save the cap for Komisarek and Higgins.

If somebody offers you a no brainer at the deadline you do the deal, but this team is going to rely alot on improvement

from within. Everybody underrates this aspect of this team.

Look at the expectations of Plekanec two years ago, Kostitsyn last year, Price and would he be able to supplant Huet.

I expect that A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, Price, Gorges, Komisarek, Latendresse, Lapierre will all improve.

Without Sundin I expect to be a better team. They may not match last season's record, but I am looking for playoff

success, and with the management team that is in place I expect a better schooled team come playoff time.

Edited by Wamsley01

If Mats says no, you take your shot with the team you have and save the cap for Komisarek and Higgins.

Agreed. With the additions of Tanguay and Laraque, this team is definitely better than last years team. I don't expect them to win the east again this year, but I do expect them to get at least 96-98 points and be much better in the playoffs!

Agreed. With the additions of Tanguay and Laraque, this team is definitely better than last years team. I don't expect them to win the east again this year, but I do expect them to get at least 96-98 points and be much better in the playoffs!

I expect at least 100 points again. No team can consider themselves a serious challenger if they don't reach 100 points... name a Cup winner with less than 100 points since the 82 game, OTL system was introduced...

I expect the Canadiens to get another similar 102-106 point season, but this time by winning in a more convincing manner. I expect the team to be more in control of games, instead of simply reacting and improvising to what other teams are doing; too many of those games could have gone either way.

I actually predicted a 104-point season on another forum (of course getting the excact number of points was very lucky, but my point was that if we gave out best youngsters a chance, we were as talented as any other team out there), but I don't see the Habs getting a much better season on paper... however I do expect those numbers to be more "solid"...

Edited by CerebusClone

I won't predict points until training camp is done...

I will say we improve, and repeat as eastern winners.

We are already an improved team. More mature to begin with, Tanguay over Ryder, Goaltending is also maturing, and of course, Big Georges! We finally have a goon, one who owned us one game last year. The Kost Boys and Tender can keep the gloves on, at least against the heavey weights! Am I the only one who sees what this will mean for the attitude of the young guys, and thier spirits? I will call for the Presidents, and Lord Stanley's prize, with or without Cat's Sardine. Prefer without. Let him watch from Sweden and say, "Damn, I could have had my ring...." as he watches the Habs celebrate over Edmonton and Cole!

But I won't predict points.

However, this season we will lead in , PPG, G, W,P, Hits!, PiM, PK, SHG, GAA, SvP.

We are going to be fast, (as we have been) Free wheeling (Laroche opens up the game for us) hard hitting (again laroche let's our guys open up more here)

and just damn scary.

That is what I expect and will be damn disappointed if they let me down.

I expect the Canadiens to get another similar 102-106 point season, but this time by winning in a more convincing manner. I expect the team to be more in control of games, instead of simply reacting and improvising to what other teams are doing; too many of those games could have gone either way.

I actually predicted a 104-point season on another forum (of course getting the excact number of points was very lucky, but my point was that if we gave out best youngsters a chance, we were as talented as any other team out there), but I don't see the Habs getting a much better season on paper... however I do expect those numbers to be more "solid"...

I agree. They can finish with 102 points and have a better season. They had a lot of ups and downs early in the season

and laid alot of eggs up to the All-Star break. Dallas anyone?

I would prefer to see them compete every single night and finish with 101 points than to see them

play great for 15, poor for 10, great for 25, terrible for 15 and then light up the league to finish up.

I do not want to see a team rely on it's talent to drag them through. I want to see a team that goes for the jugular

when they have a chance. I want to see a team that knows they are the better team and not rely on excuses should they

lose, but get pissed off and send messages. I want to see a team that wants and expects to win every night. ANd I want to

see a team that will do whatever it takes to win, hard and dirty work.

This team may not match their total from last season and still be much better. I hope that Philly and Boston series will serve as a wake up

call for them. Boston almost beat them with half the talent through hard work and they lost to a Philly team that they should have beat.

Edited by Wamsley01

I agree. They can finish with 102 points and have a better season. They had a lot of ups and downs early in the season

and laid alot of eggs up to the All-Star break. Dallas anyone?

I would prefer to see them compete every single night and finish with 101 points than to see them

play great for 15, poor for 10, great for 25, terrible for 15 and then light up the league to finish up.

I do not want to see a team rely on it's talent to drag them through. I want to see a team that goes for the jugular

when they have a chance. I want to see a team that knows they are the better team and not rely on excuses should they

lose, but get pissed off and send messages. I want to see a team that wants and expects to win every night. ANd I want to

see a team that will do whatever it takes to win, hard and dirty work.

This team may not match their total from last season and still be much better. I hope that Philly and Boston series will serve as a wake up

call for them. Boston almost beat them with half the talent through hard work and they lost to a Philly team that they should have beat.

Well said.

I'm sure someone will have an issue with it though. :wacko:

I will call for the Presidents, and Lord Stanley's prize, with or without Cat's Sardine. Prefer without. Let him watch from Sweden and say, "Damn, I could have had my ring...." as he watches the Habs celebrate over Edmonton and Cole!

Even though I think this team can do amazing thingswithout Sundin, let's not kid ourselves here. Sundin is THE missing piece of the puzzle! Having him on this team makes us as one of the TOP contenders of the league! On par with the Red wings!

Dude, the habs never lost more than 3 games in a row. Reading your post i almost had the impression that the habs went through really long rough patches. But they didn't! They were a model of consistency last year. It's not like they had a bad season, they were tops in teh east.

when they have a chance.

I definitely agree with this last statement. They lack that killer instinct. Whenever another team seems to be down, they let them come back into the game..too often for my liking. My guess is that with teh yongsters being one year older with one more year of experince, maybe they will acquire this killer instinct! KILL KILL KILL! DIE DIE DIE!!! ;):D

ON a different note, i've never been this excited about the start of a new season(and the possibilities) since the 93-94 season. This team is really fun to watch and they are exciting. Let's just hope that they can make a serious run this year!

Edited by Habsfan

Dude, the habs never lost more than 3 games in a row. Reading your post i almost had the impression that the habs went through really long rough patches. But they didn't! They were a model of consistency last year. It's not like they had a bad season, they were tops in teh east.

That is the point. They got results at points last year without playing well. To expect a repeat of that is entirely unrealistic.

They were NOT consistent. Their work ethic was up and down throughout the first 3 months of the season and you have been

influenced by their last 30 games when they played great consistent hockey with a solid work ethic, consistent goaltending

and explosive scoring.

But the Habs came out of the gate very strong.

They finished October 6-2-3. They outscored their opponents 35-29 and other than a terrible effort against Carolina in the home opener

and a stinker against Atlanta at the end of the month in which Price saved their bacon were the better team in almost every game.

In November they went 7-7, and were outscored 39-36. They were inconsistent with dominating wins against Philly and a couple against

Boston but stunk up a home and home with the Sabres, Huet had a stinker against Toronto, and they lost a pair to Ottawa including one

where they gave up 3 goals in the last 5 minutes. They also barely beat a terrible Leaf team twice, once in a shootout and once when

Komisarek picked McCabes pocket for a winner. And no showed in New Jersey AGAIN. Hardly a solid month, and hardly a consistent effort night to night.

December started with a disastrous choke against the Preds where they blew a 4-1 lead with 8 minutes to go and started the month 1 and 4.

Included in those losses was a blowout to Detroit, Carolina and losing to Tampa at home (when Tampa had the worst road record in the league

and Marc Denis had yet to win on the season). So through late November and early December the Habs were 2-5-2. Sound consistent?

In December they were struggling, the board was in full panic after the revenge of Ribeiro in Dallas and the Florida trip looming and the Habs

swept through Florida and turned the season around.

An 8-2-2 January when they usually were in full collapse highlighted by the comeback against the Devils in NJ had SAKS starting a thread about

catching Ottawa and the attitude in here began to change.

Add in the miracle comeback against the Rangers and after the trade of Huet the Habs ripped off a 19-8-3 run in which they played their most

inspired dominant hockey of the season. That overshadowed the turbulant first 3 months of the campaign where the majority here were worried

about 8th and Chris was blowing a vein in his forehead over the lack of effort nightly.

So you can view last season's performance as consistent, but I disagree. This team has a ton of room for improvement that cannot be

explained away to a stat that does not delve past the surface level.

Edited by Wamsley01

ok.

but what is the point of being THAT consistent if nobody in the East is THAT consistent ??? Shit happens for every teams...

ok.

but what is the point of being THAT consistent if nobody in the East is THAT consistent ??? Shit happens for every teams...

So because nobody else maintains that performance than the Canadiens should not shoot for that standard?

Go check Detroit "The Stanley Cup Champion's" consistency. The consistency they SHOULD be striving for.

THe goal is the CUP, not the best team in the Eastern Conference.