Wish List

REV-G

I was looking at Pavol Demitra's stats and I wonder if he would be a good plan B, after Sundin. How do they compare?

Demitra is 34, 6.0' and 206 lbs. The last three years he scored 25 goals [62 points], 25 goals [64 points], and last year he scored 15 goals [54 points]. A problem is that he hasn't played a full season in the past 5, so there are injury issues.

Sundin is 37, 6' 4", 231 lbs. The last three years Sundin scored 31 goals [78 points], 27 goals [76 points, and last year 32 goals [78 points].

If Gainey decides to wait for Sundin, then that's plan A. But if he decides to go in another direction, I think Dimitra is not a bad option.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Demitra's too injury prone.

Sundin has always been a model of consictency. When it comes to missing games because of injury he's not far behind Nicklas Lidström. Injuries is probably why I will never ever consider Peter Forsberg the best Swedish player of all time. He might have (or have had) the talent, but he was broken too often.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I hate demitra's game.... he is a perimeter player and we have some of those already.

The plan should stay the course.

If Sundin decides in August to play, it would be nice to have the funds available to bring him in....that was THE plan after all and our biggest need.

Why dress up another forward just to do something with the cash?

Wait for Sundin and if that doesn't work, take a run at low risk, low $$ high reward players that

will not block any of your player development.

If neither are available, go into the season with the team they have and earmark the $$ for either their

kids that they need to extend or for a mid season trade

Sundin fills a need we don't have. Demetria doesn't. No thanks.

A more interesting plan B would be the gritty vet like Roberts or Shanahan; and samve the cap space for a deadline deal if we are that close - as Wamsley has just stated.

Demitra is way too injury prone. Unlike SUndin, he is always injured and we don'T need that.

Like a few others mentionned, wait for Sundin to make up his mind. The Longer it takes Mats to make up his mind, the better it will be for the Habs, as most other teams will have spent all their money!

Keep 8 million$ per year earmarked for Mats in case he decides to make up his mind in late august.

In any case, for one of the few times in the past 5 years, pretty much all the media in OMntreal agree with Bob's plan of not doing anything crazy at the July 1st free agency market opening. WHy spend money just to spend money?

Demitra is plan D or E but thats about all that is left. You have to remeber we are still pretty well the same team that was first in the East last season minus a forward who was crap last season and a D who coulnt play D only offense. We've added Tanguay and now there is room for our kids to come in. I think he will still go after one good player though.

To me, there is no real need to go after Demitra. I'd rather BG stand pat and if Sundin decides he wants to play in MTL, then add him. Otherwise, the Habs look to be set on the wings.

If Sundin chooses to not sign with us Plan B should be to start the season with what we have and evaluate later. We need to see if any of our young guns step it up and what kind of season Kovalev is going to give us. If we get Vertigo Kovalev with a wonky knee we might need to trade our whole 1st line........kidding. We have a good team without Sundin, Demitra would not be a good 2nd prize lets be patient.

Demitra would be okay, but I like the thought of Jason Williams. Potentially cheaper (cheap enough with a buyout or two that a Sundin might still be had) and with some solid instincts that could give this team another dimension.

Demitra would be okay, but I like the thought of Jason Williams. Potentially cheaper (cheap enough with a buyout or two that a Sundin might still be had) and with some solid instincts that could give this team another dimension.

The problem with that is, I believe you can only buy-out a certain amount of players and we already have 2 from last year, plus there are only 6 days in July a team can buyout where the monies don't count against the cap which have past. Add to that the fact Gainey feels all players on the team have value so to get rid of them would most likely be by trade only.

Gainey said he was "done" leaving a small window for Sundin, so what you see is what yo get. I think I'm o.k with that. If you told me at last years trading deadline we added Tanguay and Big George without losing anyone I would have been stoked. I bet we would have beat Philly too. Streit sucked and Ryder was in the stands anyway.

We have a pretty good team we can tweak later.

we do not need demitra, I mean it is not necessary to spend all our money as Saks says we have a good team. Now to get Mats yes I would spend what is needed as long as it's not more than 8 mill :D

The more I think about this teams needs I really think they should sign Fedorov.

I don't think he would cost a lot and a 1 or 2 year deal might get it done since he's 38.

He can play D or 3rd line C and I believe he is still capable of a 60 point year in the right situation. He can help the point on the PP and help play a shut down role on as the C on the PK (imagine Komi, Markov and Fedorov on the PK).

Gotta disagree... sorry.

It's Sundin or bust! I wouldn't mind seeing a trade involvng a coupe role players and a prospect for a good two way player (Patrick O'Sullivan from the Kings is a rumor??)...

That might clear up some more cap space and let our players know who is going to be in the lineup. As far as Fedorov, I think S.Kost will be fine on the point on the PP or even Kovalev and have Tanguay up front.

By making a trade with more $$ going back the other way, it might free up enough to (dreaming) get Selenne and Sundin!!!

CheerS!

The problem with that is, I believe you can only buy-out a certain amount of players and we already have 2 from last year, plus there are only 6 days in July a team can buyout where the monies don't count against the cap which have past. Add to that the fact Gainey feels all players on the team have value so to get rid of them would most likely be by trade only.

Gainey said he was "done" leaving a small window for Sundin, so what you see is what yo get. I think I'm o.k with that. If you told me at last years trading deadline we added Tanguay and Big George without losing anyone I would have been stoked. I bet we would have beat Philly too. Streit sucked and Ryder was in the stands anyway.

We have a pretty good team we can tweak later.

I think that we can only buy out players in July (or later this year) if we have some player go to arbitration. I am pretty sure that the July/August buy out period is during the 2 days after a team loses an arbitration case.

The more I think about this teams needs I really think they should sign Fedorov.

I don't think he would cost a lot and a 1 or 2 year deal might get it done since he's 38.

He can play D or 3rd line C and I believe he is still capable of a 60 point year in the right situation. He can help the point on the PP and help play a shut down role on as the C on the PK (imagine Komi, Markov and Fedorov on the PK).

No we do not need Fedorov He is no longer a force just a name living on his laurels. No, either we stay as we are or we get the big luvable swedish dummy.

First of all, it is Sergei Fedorov.

Second, he would never sign if it meant he'd have to play on the blue line in anything other than an absolute pinch. He's done it in the past, but he doesn't like it, he wants to be a forward. Given the history of flipping with Streit and Dandy, I don't think he'd want to take a chance that he'd have to play D here. Plus, he needs to be with the right players these days to produce offensively. Neither Nash nor Zherdev did in Columbus, so there's no guarantee he'd click in Montreal. I love the guy and still think he's a very useful player, but Montreal isn't a good fit for him.

I think that we can only buy out players in July (or later this year) if we have some player go to arbitration. I am pretty sure that the July/August buy out period is during the 2 days after a team loses an arbitration case.

hmmmmm, That whole buy-out thing is a confusing loop hole within itself. If anyone has a link to a good informative explanation of how it really works would be much appreciated if they could post it.

None the less, Gainey has gone on record saying everyone on the team has value so I doubt it is a road he will take.

Sundin is a franshise player. Demitra is not.

Fedorov would and should be plan B. Just look at how he came to play with the youngsters in Washington. He would be a perfect fit for a Kostitsyn and Kovalev. Also he would take Streits place on the powerplay as pointman.

I think he'd be a good match. even if he didn't come, and Sundnd for that matter, I'm still confortable with the team we have.

if the kids keep on progressing I think we'll be deadly this year.

Sundin or nothing at this point. There are no players left on the market that would be an improvement on what we already have aside from him.

Agree. You wait on Mats and if he decides he wants to extend his life walk for another 6 months you move on

and win the Cup without him. ###### him.

Everybody is forgetting about my boy, the franchise goalie Carey Price. Maybe people are down on him

after he collapsed in the playoffs, but this team is built from the crease out and I have 100% confidence in

him making this team better than they are.

This team is a contender NOW. Start dreaming Cup dreams, if Sundin materializes, start planning your 2009 Holidays now.

Sign Sundin, or sign nobody. Then play Halak enough, so that he is good trade bait. Trade him for a top centre before the trade deadline? Maybe?

I keep hearing so many ppl talk about trading halak for other assets and I strongly disagree every time. Even though price is considered our number one goalie and is expected to have a glorious career...he still hasnt proven he could consistently handle the number one role this early in his career. Halak has a lot of potential and could step in if price has one of his cold streaks. Other than halak there isnt any goalie capable of stepping up (Denis isnt nearly as good as halak). Other than that, having a strong backup also takes some of the pressure off price.