Wish List

REV-G

Halak is a backup goalie any team would want. He was the number one in the AHL berfore Price, and has the potential to easily develop into a starting goalie on a lesser team. Sucks for him that he won't be able to blossom in the Habs organization, but Price won't play 82 games next year and it's good to actually have a winning goalie rather than spare parts in those times. When Price gets a night off, I have full confidence in Halak.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, it is Sergei Fedorov.

Second, he would never sign if it meant he'd have to play on the blue line in anything other than an absolute pinch. He's done it in the past, but he doesn't like it, he wants to be a forward. Given the history of flipping with Streit and Dandy, I don't think he'd want to take a chance that he'd have to play D here. Plus, he needs to be with the right players these days to produce offensively. Neither Nash nor Zherdev did in Columbus, so there's no guarantee he'd click in Montreal. I love the guy and still think he's a very useful player, but Montreal isn't a good fit for him.

First of all, I don't really care if I made a spelling mistake. Give it a rest.

Second, I see no reason why he couldn't play point/D on the PP, as a C on the PK (but essentially a 3rd d-man) and C on the 3rd line. He could also be the "7th d-man". If this was all agreed upon up front I'm not convinced he would have a problem with it...I mean, everyone thinks Gainey's word is his bond, right? He's Mr. Class. No one would think they'd be taking a chance with a Gainey promise.

What kind of players does FedOrov need to click?

First of all, it is Sergei Fedorov.

Second, he would never sign if it meant he'd have to play on the blue line in anything other than an absolute pinch. He's done it in the past, but he doesn't like it, he wants to be a forward. Given the history of flipping with Streit and Dandy, I don't think he'd want to take a chance that he'd have to play D here. Plus, he needs to be with the right players these days to produce offensively. Neither Nash nor Zherdev did in Columbus, so there's no guarantee he'd click in Montreal. I love the guy and still think he's a very useful player, but Montreal isn't a good fit for him.

Actually if ure using our alphabet its Sergey Fyodorov...

But I disagree... I think Montreal is exactly the kind of team HE would want to be in!... not totaly sold on if the Habs needing him .. but if Sundin retires (observe that i didn't say he'd sign in another team hehe )... if he retires... then BG will want to see whats available because Like I said before in 40 threads .. we dont have a proven 3rd and 4th line.. and experienced depth with a yes older but still SMART two way forward is required ...and it wouldnt hurt to have a potential centre that may complement kovy's line if plek gets hurt ... something Smolinsky was never eable to do (MAIN reason why he isnt a Habs anymore) and main reason he came to MTL in the first place!! he never was more than a above average defensive forward with good faceoff skills

Actually if ure using our alphabet its Sergey Fyodorov...

Then why doesn't he ask for it to be spelled like that on his jersey? I figured we were past the days of Ellis Island type name changes. I'm glad my family, at least most of it, changed out name back to its original form.

Agree. You wait on Mats and if he decides he wants to extend his life walk for another 6 months you move on

and win the Cup without him. ###### him.

Everybody is forgetting about my boy, the franchise goalie Carey Price. Maybe people are down on him

after he collapsed in the playoffs, but this team is built from the crease out and I have 100% confidence in

him making this team better than they are.

This team is a contender NOW. Start dreaming Cup dreams, if Sundin materializes, start planning your 2009 Holidays now.

Something that bothered me about Price was I thought he hurt his glove hand during

the playoffs.

Now, I think this has been denied, but I kept seeing players crashing the crease. Carey

had this bad habit of reaching out for pucks. Could he have had a sprain or swelling

that affected his hand?

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on Price in the playoffs.

Second, I see no reason why he couldn't play point/D on the PP, as a C on the PK (but essentially a 3rd d-man) and C on the 3rd line. He could also be the "7th d-man". If this was all agreed upon up front I'm not convinced he would have a problem with it...I mean, everyone thinks Gainey's word is his bond, right? He's Mr. Class. No one would think they'd be taking a chance with a Gainey promise.

I just posted something saying I thought Fedorov might be a good plan B.

I hadn't read what you wrote beforehand, not a bad idea though. :clap:

It's not just you, I see official news sources spell it that way, it drives me nuts. Playing the blue line on the point would be fine, I'm just saying he wouldn't sign here if there was a chance that he'd regularly play even strength on the blue line. He only does it when he absolutely has to, because he doesn't like it. If he signed here with a role similar to Streit or Dandy, I don't think he'd do it, because he would only want to play forward at even strength.

All I can say is Thank the hockey Gods that Gainey is the GM of this team and not some people on these boards. Am i actually reading that some of you want to bring Fedorov on this team?? The guy is 39 years old, he will 40 in December. He's averaged 42 points per season in his last 3 seasons. What amazes me even more is that some think that Fedorov would come here and play as a defenseman??? Why in the world would this guy, who has played in a forward position all his life, come to Montreal to play 10 minutes per game as a 7th d-man and couple of minutes on the PP???

Sundin or nothing at this point. There are no players left on the market that would be an improvement on what we already have aside from him.

Forumghost is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! The only player available at this point who could actually improve this team is Sundin. WE need a big centre who can win face-offs and dominate. The Only guy who fits the bill is Sundin. If the Habs can convince him to play in Montreal, the Habs will be a better team(probably one of the best in the league), but even if Sundin decides that Montreal is not for him, we still have a very good team, and it certainly isn't with the addition of Fedorov that we will be better! :rolleyes:

Something that bothered me about Price was I thought he hurt his glove hand during

the playoffs.

Now, I think this has been denied, but I kept seeing players crashing the crease. Carey

had this bad habit of reaching out for pucks.

I get the impression that there will be less crease crashing going on this year thanks to Mr Laraque!!!

Edited by Habsfan

I agree that it has to be Sundin or nothing. We have plenty of skills, although some a little unproven I'll agree, we have a full lineup that should be able to contend for the Cup if Carbonneau manages the team well, and we have enough support-type players to fill 4-5 lines. By the way, by support-type players I don't mean a Steve Bégin, but good hockey players like Higgins, Plekanec... or even Alex Tanguay that can really contribute when matched with offensive leaders (like Kovalev, Koivu if he comes back strong, perhaps A. Kostsitsyn but he`s not there yet) that make things happen on the ice.

We don't need another player that will skate around hoping to finish up plays... we need another offensive leader who will make things happen on the ice and generate opportunities for our many support players. Not only Mats Sundin is the only one left, but even at his age he's still an impact player in the NHL. As a bonus, he plays a position where we could insert him easily in the lineup, without moving a Higgins or S.Kostsitsyn at the centre position.

I get the impression that there will be less crease crashing going on this year thanks to Mr Laraque!!!

I was just about to say that.

I thought Price hit the wall. I thought he played well in the Boston series outside the game

where he tried to become to aggressive and handed away Game 5. He was left alone in Game 6 and

was sensational in the first period of Game 7.

Then he just hit the wall. I don't know if it was mental fatigue or physical. But the goalie in Game 7 was

not the same guy from the Philly series. I guess at some point playing in all those mentally taxing games

to the amount of pressure applied with the Roy/Dryden comparison it was too much.

I think he is going to make the leap and have a huge year and because of him will be Cup contenders all year.

I slightly fear a sophomore slump, but not enough for me to limit my expectations.

Then he just hit the wall. I don't know if it was mental fatigue or physical. But the goalie in Game 7 was

not the same guy from the Philly series. I guess at some point playing in all those mentally taxing games

to the amount of pressure applied with the Roy/Dryden comparison it was too much.

Or perhaps it's simply because he was a 20 year-old rookie... rookies have ups and dows, even the very best like Crosby and Ovechkin. However, when a goalie makes a mistake, there's no one behind him to recover.

Besides, people keep comparing Carey Price to the God-like image they have of Patrick Roy, the perfect and unbeatable goaltender in clutch situations who would never let his team down... well, the reality is that even Patrick Roy wasn't nearly that good, he made his share of mistakes even in clutch situations, and what people never mention is that after his amazing rookie season where he led the Habs to the Stanlay Cup, he followed that performance with some pretty weak playoff performances the following two years.

Carey Price posted some amazing numbers for the 20 year-old rookie goaltender, he played like a seasoned star goalie in the second half of the season, had a pretty good playoffs against Boston, but unfortunately wasn't so great against Philly, like the rest of his team. People blame Carey Price, but his few mistakes (along with misleading shot totals) covered what was an average performance by the entire team as a whole; our defense wasn't that great, and our offense just couldn't generate any quality offense, multiplying weak shots from bad angles that made Biron look a lot better than he really was.

Or perhaps it's simply because he was a 20 year-old rookie... rookies have ups and dows, even the very best like Crosby and Ovechkin. However, when a goalie makes a mistake, there's no one behind him to recover.

Besides, people keep comparing Carey Price to the God-like image they have of Patrick Roy, the perfect and unbeatable goaltender in clutch situations who would never let his team down... well, the reality is that even Patrick Roy wasn't nearly that good, he made his share of mistakes even in clutch situations, and what people never mention is that after his amazing rookie season where he led the Habs to the Stanlay Cup, he followed that performance with some pretty weak playoff performances the following two years.

Carey Price posted some amazing numbers for the 20 year-old rookie goaltender, he played like a seasoned star goalie in the second half of the season, had a pretty good playoffs against Boston, but unfortunately wasn't so great against Philly, like the rest of his team. People blame Carey Price, but his few mistakes (along with misleading shot totals) covered what was an average performance by the entire team as a whole; our defense wasn't that great, and our offense just couldn't generate any quality offense, multiplying weak shots from bad angles that made Biron look a lot better than he really was.

He is just 20. But upon his return from Hamilton he played poorly maybe once in his last 15 games (the San Jose game)

and was outstanding night in and night out. He gave up 5 against the Sens but the Habs were up 7-0 and hung him out to dry

in the 3rd. Add 2 shutouts in the first round and an amazing game 7 and then he suffered a precipitous decline.

That is why I think he hit the wall. He went from playing unbelievable to terrible over one week. That to me looked like hitting the wall,

not the inconsistent play of a 20 year old.

Roy was more than just brutal in 1987 and 1988. He was mediocre in the 1989 Cup run and if he had played great the Habs would have

25 Cups right now. He was outplayed badly by Vernon in the Finals that year and was average again from 90-92. But absence makes the heart

grow fonder, and people fail to remember his inconsistencies.

People get caught up in the emotion of the playoffs and were making statements like "If Price gets benched he will never recover and shows he

is not an elite goalie" and "he did not come through, I am worried about his potential". I watched him during the Calder Cup run, and I saw him

raise his level to a ridiculous level in the first period of Game 7 against the Bruins. He will be better next year, I am sure of that. But to expect no ups and downs

is unrealistic

Edited by Wamsley01

Roy was more than just brutal in 1987 and 1988. He was mediocre in the 1989 Cup run and if he had played great the Habs would have

25 Cups right now. He was outplayed badly by Vernon in the Finals that year and was average again from 90-92. But absence makes the heart

grow fonder, and people fail to remember his inconsistencies.

Hold on a second! Did Roy not win 3 Vézina trophy's in that 4-5 year span? He was the best goalie in the league(by far). You guys make it sound like he sucked and that he was not worth 2 cents!

Edited by Habsfan

Hold on a second! Did Roy not win 3 Vézina trophy's in that 4-5 year span? He was the best goalie in the league(by far). You guys make it sound like he sucked and that he was not worth 2 cents!

People have that image of Patrick Roy as a flawless goalie in the series, but again the truth is that after that great first year where he led the Habs to the Stanley Cap, he was pretty bad the two following years.

So if Patrick Roy himself cannot live up to his own image, people's expectations on Carey Price might indeed have been a tad unrealistic...

Vezina's are won during the regular season. His playoff performances which he made his repuation off

were shoddy at best.

In 87 he got yanked and Hayward played the majority of their games. They lost in 6 games to the Flyers

and if Roy had approached anything close to his 1986 level they would have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

In 88 he was average against the Whalers and Bruins and the Habs fell to the Bruins for the first time in 40+ years.

In 89 he had a fantastic regular season that included 30+ games at the Forum without a loss, but lost four of

his last 6 games on home ice in the playoffs.

In 90, 91 and 92 he beat the Sabres with Darren Puppa twice a bad Whalers team in Game 7 double OT and

lost 3 straight years to the Bruins including a memorable whiff on a slapshot from Neely from outside the blueline

that became the series winner in Game 7.

It is why after 2 shakey games to start the 93 playoffs that people were calling for Red Light Racicot. Roy caught fire

and we all know what happened from there. But his 1992-93 regular season was mediocre at best, but everybody remembers

it because of the playoffs.

All that matters is the playoffs, and Roy had some of the most clutch years in NHL history, but he also had his share

of giant blunders.

Edited by Wamsley01

People have that image of Patrick Roy as a flawless goalie in the series, but again the truth is that after that great first year where he led the Habs to the Stanley Cap, he was pretty bad the two following years.

So if Patrick Roy himself cannot live up to his own image, people's expectations on Carey Price might indeed have been a tad unrealistic...

Pretty bad you say? In 86-87 he started 46 games, won 22 of them, had 2.93 GAA and a Save% of .892 The Following year, he started 45 games, won 23 of them had a GAA of 2.90 and a save% of .900 and the year after that he started 48 games, got 33 W - 5 L - 6 T had a 2.47 GAA and a save% of .908 Don't forget, these were the 80's when there were at least 10 players in the NHL who scored 100 points and there usually were 8 or 9 50 goal scorers. To have GAA's under 3.00 was amazing.

I will not disagree with you when you say that the following year after the 86 cup, Roy may have struggled in some games, but to say that he sucked is simply misleading.

YEAR TEAM GP MIN W L T GA GAA SOG SV SV% ENG SO

84-85 MON 1 20:00 1 0 0 -- 0 0.00 2 2 1.000 0 0

85-86 MON 47 2651:00 23 18 3 -- 148 3.35 1185 1037 .875 3 1

86-87 MON 46 2686:00 22 16 6 -- 131 2.93 1210 1079 .892 6 1

87-88 MON 45 2586:00 23 12 9 -- 125 2.90 1248 1123 .900 0 3

88-89 MON 48 2744:00 33 5 6 -- 113 2.47 1228 1115 .908 2 4

89-90 MON 54 3173:00 31 16 5 -- 134 2.53 1524 1390 .912 2 3

90-91 MON 48 2835:00 25 15 6 -- 128 2.71 1362 1234 .906 3 1

91-92 MON 67 3935:00 36 22 8 -- 155 2.36 1806 1651 .914 7 5

92-93 MON 62 3595:00 31 25 5 -- 192 3.20 1814 1622 .894 5 2

Edited by Habsfan

Pretty bad you say? In 86-87 he started 46 games, won 22 of them, had 2.93 GAA and a Save% of .892 The Following year, he started 45 games, won 23 of them had a GAA of 2.90 and a save% of .900 and the year after that he started 48 games, got 33 W - 5 L - 6 T had a 2.47 GAA and a save% of .908 Don't forget, these were the 80's when there were at least 10 players in the NHL who scored 100 points and there usually were 8 or 9 50 goal scorers. To have GAA's under 3.00 was amazing.

I will not disagree with you when you say that the following year after the 86 cup, Roy may have struggled in some games, but to say that he sucked is simply misleading.

In 1986-87 Brian Hayward played 37 games went 19-13-4 registered a lower Goals Against Average

and a better save percentage.

In 1987-88 Brian Haywarad played 39 games went 22-10-4 and once again registered a lower Goals

Against Average but a lower Save Percentage.

Stats do not tell the story. I watched the games and Montreal played a shut down defensive style that won

Hayward and Roy three consecutive Jennings titles. Roy was inconsistent until the 1989 season when

he finally began to realize his potential. Before that he was prone to brutal goals at inopportune times.

If Roy was so impressive during those years, why was a journeyman like Hayward putting up similar if not

better numbers behind the same team. It is not a coincidence that Hayward's best numbers were put up behind

the Canadiens stifling defence. He never won more than 6 games in a season outside of La Belle Province.

Not much different than Patrick Lalime or Chris Osgood. Put them on an average team and they become average

goalies. The Habs of those years were good enough to be succesful from October to March, but in the playoffs they

could not overcome the erratic inconsistent play of Roy's youth. Roy's reputation as a playoff stud was in severe

decline after the first 2 Quebec games in 1993. He had let in a pair of brutally weak goal to blow a late 2-0 lead in

Game One and the media was all over him. But he rebounded with a run for the ages that solidified his legacy.

Roy WAS not good in those years, and he was WORSE in the playoffs. Cerebus's point is 100% valid in that

people expect Price to be perfect claiming if he did not win certain games last year that he was a washout.

Meanwhile, Roy who is considered one of the greatest of all-time put up some bad seasons and suffered some

monstorous meltdowns. The Shanahan "statue of liberty" play, the Neely whiff from the blue line, the give away

behind his net in the 2001 Stanley Cup Final, the 9 goals against Detroit etc.

He had his share of terrible nights that had absolutley ZERO bearing on the rest of his career.

Edited by Wamsley01

My only point to this old arguement would be Roy played on a significantly better, tougher and playoff proven team.

Price didn't, where the team showed improvement, they were no where near the calibre of the teams Roy played on.

They shouldn't be compared.

My only point to this old arguement would be Roy played on a significantly better, tougher and playoff proven team.

Price didn't, where the team showed improvement, they were no where near the calibre of the teams Roy played on.

Yet.

At the very least, let's give Carey a full year as starter.

Not comparing them. Comparing how expectations have been thrust upon him. Expectations that one of the

greatest goalies of all-time could not have met.

Roy is used to show how ridiculous the hype and pressure is on Price. That is career is not a failure

because he failed to do what only 2 other goalies in the history of the NHL achieved.

Edited by Wamsley01

Again, I'm talking about playoff performances. After Patrick Roy lead the Habs to the Cup as a rookie, he followed that performance with bad playoff performances the following two years.

My only point here is then even Pattrick Roy himself didn't live up to his own hype, thus it is unfair to exepct such perfection from a 20 year-old rookie, especially considering that Price was played behind a very young and unexperienced team that didn't have the veteran presence (or not the same quality anyway) that Roy did back in 1986.

Even the greatest goaltenders have a playoff round here and there, even at their prime, and that includes the likes of Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour ... Personally, I think Carey Price's season was quite impressive, especially once he was handed over the number 1 job as he was quite simply one of the best goaltenders in the NHL. When Don Cherry thinks the NHL got it wrong by not nominating a Habs player for a trophy (Calder), you know that player was good...

My only point here is then even Pattrick Roy himself didn't live up to his own hype, thus it is unfair to exepct such perfection from a 20 year-old rookie,

I never said it was fair to compare Price to Roy.

All I'm saying is that Roy wasn't as bad as you're making it sound.

Price will do better this year. We have to remember that the Kid had not had a break from hockey in over 2 years. Fatigue does catch up to you (no matter how young you are). He was mentally and physically fatigued and it showed in the second round vs. the Flyers!

I never said it was fair to compare Price to Roy.

All I'm saying is that Roy wasn't as bad as you're making it sound.

Price will do better this year. We have to remember that the Kid had not had a break from hockey in over 2 years. Fatigue does catch up to you (no matter how young you are). He was mentally and physically fatigued and it showed in the second round vs. the Flyers!

I disagree. In 87 and 88 he compared to career backup Brian Hayward statistically and I also witnessed the inconsistent

play that had people questioning if 1986 was just a case of a young kid getting hot. He was middle of the pack and his playoff

meltdowns showed that. He showed flashes of potential, but failed to recognize it.

It was not until 1989 when he began to reach his potential and brought home his first Vezina. From 1989 - 1992 he had some fantastic

regular seasons and some adequate to inconsistent playoff performances. He did not begin the ascent to legend until 1993. THere is a

reason why the media wanted him benched for Red Light Racicot and why a media pool before the 93 playoffs suggested that the fans

wanted him traded. Fans were frustrated in his playoff form and in 1993 he didn't deliver the amazing regular season either.

Montreal had a slew of defensive talent between 1989 - 1992 as well as gritty defensive forwards. They were the Devils before the Devils.

Robinson, Chelios, Desjardins, Schneider, Green, Ludwig, Svoboda, Lumme, Lefebvre, Sean Hill, Daigneault all patrolled the blueline at one time

or another. Shutdown forwards like Carbonneau, McPhee, Skrudland, Muller, Keane, Gilchrist, Walter, Brunet were employed during this same era.

Statistics do not define Patrick Roy to me because of the style they played in that era. 1986, 1993 and 2001 do it for me.

Those 3 years define his greatness to me.

Funny how Roy comes up in a thread called Wish List.

Price may be one cup behind, but he is ahead of Roy in ability at 20 years old. And I guess the top of my wish list with Sundin would be for

Carey Price to take the next step and improve upon his rookie season.

Edited by Wamsley01