My Prediction of Pleks amazing year to come.

Something I just realized about Plekanec. Over his first 3 years his have been raising is almost steady increments.

Example:

Year 1: G 9, A 20, Pts. 29 +4

Year 2: G 20, A 27, Pts. 47 +10 (Goals go up around 10, Assists go up around 20, +/- goes up around 5)

Year 3: G 29, A 40, Pts. 69 +15 (Repeats the same pattern)

So with that reasoning Im figuring that...

Year 4: G 38, A 49, Pts. 87 +21 (Can we only hope it will be this way again??)

Anyways, just me playing around and hoping. :lol:

:hlogo:

Something I just realized about Plekanec. Over his first 3 years his have been raising is almost steady increments.

Example:

Year 2: G 20, A 27, Pts. 47 +10 (Goals go up around 10, Assists go up around 20, +/- goes up around 5)

I hope he does hit those marks.... Then we can trade him for a big centre. (he will be coming up on a contract year anyway :P)

Example:

Plex' my fave Habs player, so I'd be ecstatic if that happened... but if you look at his AHL stats, I think 30-40-70 is already near Plex' ceiling in terms of projectable production.

Of course, I also always compared Plex to Elias/Demitra so he could surpass the 80 pts mark. Especially if he has some good scoring wingers.

How many games into the season did it take before the Kostitsyn-Plex-Kovalev line really got going? 20-25? Lets hope they got the same chemistry right off the bat and come flying outta the gates. It could be good for the other twos point totals as well.

Why is it when a habs player does well, someone always wants to trade him for someone "better"? Not too many centers had more goals then Pleks. I just don't get it. Koivu's contract is up, let him walk, Pleks is better at this point. I'm like Kozed, he needs to stay, he does everything well, never gets hurt, great speed, plays all 3 zones.

All players numbers will change based on if they sign Sundin. Plek's PP time will decreass but the PK will increase.

If they don't sign Sundin, i expect his numbers to remain close to last years.

but if you look at his AHL stats, I think 30-40-70 is already near Plex' ceiling in terms of projectable production.

Agreed! My guess is that if Plex can get 30 goals and 45 assists, it will have been a very good year for him. I don't think Plex will ever be a 90 point player in the NHL. If he can stay healthy, Plex is a 70 to 80 point player in the NHL.

Why is it when a habs player does well, someone always wants to trade him for someone "better"? Not too many centers had more goals then Pleks. I just don't get it. Koivu's contract is up, let him walk, Pleks is better at this point. I'm like Kozed, he needs to stay, he does everything well, never gets hurt, great speed, plays all 3 zones.

Plex needs to stay. On top of what Chris said, Plex's got impeccable work ethic and he's a coach's player; you can't ask for much more.

Plex needs to stay. On top of what Chris said, Plex's got impeccable work ethic and he's a coach's player; you can't ask for much more.

i as much as the next habs fan would love to see sundin come to montreal, but i sincerely hope that the plex, kostitsyn, kovalev line stays together

It will, If Sundin comes i would assume he plays with Tanguay and Lats. Leaving the 2 top lines intact from last year. Obviously things can change but the habs would finally have the ability to have mismatches on there side for a chnge, either with speed, skill or dare i say size.

Agreed! My guess is that if Plex can get 30 goals and 45 assists, it will have been a very good year for him. I don't think Plex will ever be a 90 point player in the NHL. If he can stay healthy, Plex is a 70 to 80 point player in the NHL.

Amen. That'd be a great year for Pleks. And if he can string a few of these seasons together, his contract would eventually be a long term one at or around 5.5 mil, as long as he doesn't hit the open market. Which is reasonably manageable for a player with that production.

Amen. That'd be a great year for Pleks. And if he can string a few of these seasons together, his contract would eventually be a long term one at or around 5.5 mil, as long as he doesn't hit the open market. Which is reasonably manageable for a player with that production.

$5.5 million?

Are you nuts?

Jeff Frickin Finger got $3.5 and he has 94 NHL games under his belt. The season suggested is better then Marion Hossa's and he signed for less money and a "bargin" at $7.5M.

If Pleks hits those numbers it will be the end of his career in Montreal, like it or not.

By long term, I meant 4 years (Gainey's idea of long term). And after 2 or 3 of these seasons, 5.5 to 6 mil is reasonable if he doesn't hit the open market. Hossa's been doing it for years, and has reached higher point totals a few times.

For Pleks, we're talking a few 70-80 point seasons. Not 5 consecutive 50 goal campaigns.

Let's see how Pleks does when Kovy's gone.

It will, If Sundin comes i would assume he plays with Tanguay and Lats. Leaving the 2 top lines intact from last year. Obviously things can change but the habs would finally have the ability to have mismatches on there side for a chnge, either with speed, skill or dare i say size.

it may happen but your crazy to think that improvements wont be focused on Koivu's line first! then perhaps on Lats

Koivu's line? I'm not sure in know what you mean. Sundin and and Koivu are both centers.

Tanguay is a set up guy, Sundin is a finisher. I'm not sure what Lats is yet, but he does play around the net and he has good hands.

Koivu finished the year with Higgins and SK. This line did pretty well.

Koivu's line? I'm not sure in know what you mean. Sundin and and Koivu are both centers.

Tanguay is a set up guy, Sundin is a finisher. I'm not sure what Lats is yet, but he does play around the net and he has good hands.

Koivu finished the year with Higgins and SK. This line did pretty well.

If Sundin gets here is another question... lets talk about what we have now, and now we have Plek and the Ak 46 and Ak 27 and Koivu is still our top two centre, therefore Tanguay has to play with koivu

ohh sorry you did mention Sundin on the roster... yes no doubt sundin will have to have Tanguay, which leads to the reason why I fear Koivu does need better players unless he becomes the third centre... and in a team that has both the coach and the GM as Captains of the third and fourth lines in their prime he shouldnt feel bad about that... nevertheless if he can keep Higgins and then maybe a Kosto... because SKosty is playing with Tanguay

I like Pleks game, but I think such a simple stats comparison leaves a lot to be desired...

1) 3 years ago he played in 67 games, had no PP time and his ATOI was 13:15.

2) 2 years ago he played in 81 games, had an ATOI of 15:59 (basically an extra shift) and he had increased PP time.

3) Last year he also played in 81 games, had an ATOI of 18:05

So his total minutes on the ice has gone up significantly in each year. Which leads to some questions on how much he is actually improving...at least from a numbers perspective.

The real question is whether he is improving and producing at a higher clip per his time on the ice...and it is improving from a point every 30:37 minutes to every 27:32 minutes to 21:13 minutes. Excellent improvements...but I'd also like to see the break-down by time spent on the PP and I don't have the data.

I also noticed he only had 27 points in 41 games on home ice last year, and 42 points in 40 games on the road.

He also produced at a slightly lower rate after the all-star game despite increased minutes. So while he may have "stuck out in your mind more" in the second half he actually produced less...

Why is it when a habs player does well, someone always wants to trade him for someone "better"? Not too many centers had more goals then Pleks. I just don't get it. Koivu's contract is up, let him walk, Pleks is better at this point.

:clap:

Example:

So by year 10 Plex gets about 210 points, move aside Gretz ;)

Jk, nice stats habby :hlogo:

Pleks has been a real surprise. When he first came up I had him pegged as a smart, shifty, defensive centreman in the mould of Carbonneau. Instead, he's become a bona fide 2nd line C. And no matter how you parse the ice time, that's still an impressive arc of offensive progression. So even though I don't think it likely that Pleks will continue to evolve into a 90-point guy like Pavel Datsyuk, that he's surprised me before means I won't discount the possibility.

Jeff Frickin Finger got $3.5 and he has 94 NHL games under his belt. The season suggested is better then Marion Hossa's and he signed for less money and a "bargin" at $7.5M.

If Pleks hits those numbers it will be the end of his career in Montreal, like it or not.

You can'T use Finger as a comparison. First of all, he was signed by an idiot GM who doiesn't seem to know what he's doing. Secondly, you have to use valid comparables. Finger is a D-man, PLex is a forward.

Pleks has been a real surprise. When he first came up I had him pegged as a smart, shifty, defensive centreman in the mould of Carbonneau. Instead, he's become a bona fide 2nd line C. And no matter how you parse the ice time, that's still an impressive arc of offensive progression. So even though I don't think it likely that Pleks will continue to evolve into a 90-point guy like Pavel Datsyuk, that he's surprised me before means I won't discount the possibility.

Yeah, my point is simply, if he had it in him to be a 90 point guy, he'd have to play more minutes than what Carbo generally gives forwards. He'd at least have to play at least as much as Carbo plays Kovalev to break a PPG, IMO.

What I want to see out of Plekanec more is the ability to play against the other team's top guys head to head, like what Detroit eventually did with their top offensive players. He's pretty strong defensively right now, but I think that can be evolved even more. Really, to evolve from very good player to possibly a special player, Plekanec needs to be challeneged more.