Habs acquire Shawn Belle

KidRock

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm...

Did this guy play in the NHL last year?

Anyone care to give us some info on him????

go to hockeysfuture.com, click on Minnesota Wild. Seems alright to me!!

This is a great move for us.

Locke had no shot with the big club and Belle can be a very good player when he wants to be...

He's pretty much another Alex Henry. Gainey is really toughening up our system.

What?

Not at all man.

Belle has some serious skills, Henry is just a physical force for the farm.

This is Belle according to Hockey's Future.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/shawn_belle

Edited by Fanpuck33

This is a great move for us.

Locke had no shot with the big club and Belle can be a very good player when he wants to be...

What?

Not at all man.

Belle has some serious skills, Henry is just a physical force for the farm.

This is Belle according to Hockey's Future.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/shawn_belle

Thats what contenders do, they build depth,

Lets build.......

Good move BG :clap:

Played nine games last year for Wild. Pretty good.

I remember watching him with the Pats, he was their Number 1 Dman

Edited by MMPL

I remember Belle playing with the invincible 2005 Canada team at the WJC. (the best hockey team I've ever seen)

I don't remember who he was paired with. Don't think he was with Phaneuf.

He was drafted the same year than Ryan O'Byrne, and O'Byrne took the long route through NCAA. Don't know why Belle didn't make it to the NHL yet. And MTL is his 4th NHL team. He must have a major flaw??!

As for Locke, incredible talent, but at his height and strenght, he must have the strong desire to give all he has and willingness to pay the price. He was disastrous at training camp, even when he had the chance to play preseason games with Kovalev. Kovalev didn't help him look good, but you have to take your own place. He'll have a successful AHL career, and will make it to the NHL someday if he's determined enough.

Edited by sakiqc

I think it's pretty good acquisition from Bob Gainey, who might be setting up the table to get rid of Mathieu Dandeneault's salary (he has to leave if we want a chance at Mats Sundin). We'll see hoe he does at training camp, but I think he could already be a pretty good 7th defenseman, and with his raw skills, he might develop into something more, who knows.

Worse case scenario, he becomes a good player for the Bulldogs. Low risk, high reward...

Another great conversion for Gainey....a 4th rounder for a first rounder 30th OA as well as being Carey Price's team mate for a few seasons. :D

Edited by Habitforming

I must admit I don't know this guy, but he looks pretty decent based on my first read.

Not bad to trade a guy who had basically no shot to make the team and probably won't haunt you for a big D man who seems to have potential (although I agree Sakiqc that there must be a problem with him to have been traded so much).

It's a great move, actually. Belle has bounced around a bit (he was traded twice before) and he hasn't really scored much at all in the AHL, but he's got potential and a shot to get his career back on track.

Here's a good reason why he was acquired: A teammate of Carey Price with the WHL Tri-City Americans from 2003 to 2005.

Then maybe this is a 7th D option that'll come cheaper than Brisebois?

Well, he hasn't shown that he can play at the NHL level from his AHL stats. Certainly not an offensive defenseman in the mold of Breezer, anyway.

It's a great move, actually. Belle has bounced around a bit (he was traded twice before) and he hasn't really scored much at all in the AHL, but he's got potential and a shot to get his career back on track.

Here's a good reason why he was acquired: A teammate of Carey Price with the WHL Tri-City Americans from 2003 to 2005.

Well, he hasn't shown that he can play at the NHL level from his AHL stats. Certainly not an offensive defenseman in the mold of Breezer, anyway.

Yeah, I know. He had an awful season statistically in the AHL last year. I believe he had something like 3 points in 63 games. But he does seem to be on the fringe of making the NHL - not as an offensive defenceman, but he might be in a better position to make the team than Carle.

As for Locke, he was great in the AHL but he deserved a shot to make it somewhere.

Notice that this moves comes a few days after Minnesota lost C Pavol Demitra to free agency. Minny is thin at C, they didnt get Locke to star in the AHL.

Anyway. Now Habs have Laraque, Subban and Belle, Jackie Robinson would be proud.

Notice that this moves comes a few days after Minnesota lost C Pavol Demitra to free agency. Minny is thin at C, they didnt get Locke to star in the AHL.

Anyway. Now Habs have Laraque, Subban and Belle, Jackie Robinson would be proud.

Good point!!! I like all these moves, drafting Subban, signing Laraque and trading for Belle. In Bob we trust.

Don't forget Bouillon.