Habs acquire Shawn Belle

KidRock

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the greeks could lure past and present NHLers to represent them internationally they'd have one hell of a team. Let's look at a possible line up...(disregarding the fact that some of them have represented other countries..)

Goalie - Jose Theodore

Defence - Chris Chelios

Defence - Steve Staios

Forward - Eric Lindros

Forward - Jimmy Carson

Forward - Steve Stamkos

Honorable mentions go out to my man Tom the Bomb, Nick Dimitrakos, Krys Kolanos, Mike Zigomanis, Nick Kypreos (stupid leaf), Bobby Dollas, George Parros, Nick Fotiu

Oh, and Ted Leonsis or Peter Karmanos can co-own it too!! :clap:

so jose is of greek heritage? I wasn't aware of that. where did you find that out?

If the greeks could lure past and present NHLers to represent them internationally they'd have one hell of a team. Let's look at a possible line up...(disregarding the fact that some of them have represented other countries..)

Goalie - Jose Theodore

Defence - Chris Chelios

Defence - Steve Staios

Forward - Eric Lindros

Forward - Jimmy Carson

Forward - Steve Stamkos

Honorable mentions go out to my man Tom the Bomb, Nick Dimitrakos, Krys Kolanos, Mike Zigomanis, Nick Kypreos (stupid leaf), Bobby Dollas, George Parros, Nick Fotiu

Oh, and Ted Leonsis or Peter Karmanos can co-own it too!! :clap:

Lindros' roots are in Sweden.

Anybody know why the Wild gave up on Belle? Many of the posts here seem effusive about his potential, but it does raise the question.

yup.

know minny needed a C.

maybe they're wondering why we gave up on Locke?

so jose is of greek heritage? I wasn't aware of that. where did you find that out?

It is a known fact. His father is a greek immigrant who got married to a French Canadian mother. I have heard it and read it in interviews as well. His fathers first name is Ted (Theodore), and his half-brothers are Nick, Rock and Ted Jr.

Looks like you may be right about that. Growing up all little greek kids in Montreal thought he was Greek. We were proud to think that the next gretzky would be a little immigrant boy. Oh well, he ended up being a dud anyway so the Swedes can have him (as long as they send us Sundin...)

Crap on a stick! :P

Kool that Gainey brought in a(noher) black guy.

Anybody know why the Wild gave up on Belle? Many of the posts here seem effusive about his potential, but it does raise the question.

Not just the Wild, but the Blues and Stars have given up on him already as well. Something has definitely gone wrong with him. Hence, he's a reclamation project who once HAD a lot of potential.

Not just the Wild, but the Blues and Stars have given up on him already as well. Something has definitely gone wrong with him. Hence, he's a reclamation project who once HAD a lot of potential.

That's a bit much don't you think?

To make a post suggesting that the guy is effectively done for an NHL career at the age of 23 (at the hardest position in the league to play) is just BS. How old is O'Byrne again?

To make a post suggesting that the guy is effectively done for an NHL career at the age of 23 (at the hardest position in the league to play) is just BS. How old is O'Byrne again?

Old enough to get in at a bar?

O'Byrne's already in the NHL though. Belle just had, I think, 3 points in an AHL season. He isn't much more likely to make the Canadiens than Locke was.

Hey, I'm not saying he can't make it. He's now in his 4th organization. Perhaps this will be the fit that's right for him. He's got some work to do, that's all, and Montreal has to realize he's not a sure thing by any stretch.

Has nothing to do with Shawn Belle but.... Lindros is a Swedish name?? Or is he Swedish on his mother's side?

His name always sounded Greek to me. Lindros...short for Lindropoulos or something along those lines.

Funny thing is he really looks Greek too. Dark hair, dark complexion and lets not forget the ultimate giveaway, the unibrow..

His dad's name did always seem weird to me though.

O'Byrne's already in the NHL though. Belle just had, I think, 3 points in an AHL season. He isn't much more likely to make the Canadiens than Locke was.

O'Byrne played in part of a season when he was 23, the same age Belle is now. Also, Belle is not an offensive defenseman so his 3 points aren't an indication of his talents.

All I'm saying is at the start of last seaon no one was saying O'Byrne's career was over because he turned 23, so why all of a sudden is Belle's now that he is 23?

Because he was traded a bunch of times?

He wasn't traded for late draft picks, he was involved in some decent trades by teams that had to give something up to get something back they needed.

belle could do the same hing O'Byrne did and make the team or be an injury call up and never go back down to the AHL. The possibilities are there

His name always sounded Greek to me. Lindros...short for Lindropoulos or something along those lines.

Funny thing is he really looks Greek too. Dark hair, dark complexion and lets not forget the ultimate giveaway, the unibrow..

His dad's name did always seem weird to me though.

From Wikipedia........

"The son of Carl and Bonnie Lindros, Eric has Swedish heritage. The name "Lindros" means "Rose of the Linden tree." His great grandfather Axel immigrated to Canada from Sweden and Eric is the third generation of the Lindros family to be born in Canada. Carl Lindros received a B.A. from the University of Western Ontario and became a Chartered Accountant; he would later be Eric's agent."

From Wikipedia........

"The son of Carl and Bonnie Lindros, Eric has Swedish heritage. The name "Lindros" means "Rose of the Linden tree." His great grandfather Axel immigrated to Canada from Sweden and Eric is the third generation of the Lindros family to be born in Canada. Carl Lindros received a B.A. from the University of Western Ontario and became a Chartered Accountant; he would later be Eric's agent."

I read that too when I started doing my research. However, anyone could go into Wikipedia and change things around in order to represent what it is they are trying to support. Probability says that it's true though.

From Wikipedia........

I wish my great grandfather's name was Axel ^_^

The information about the name is correct.

Axel is not so common a name these days, mostly senior citizens are named Axel.

The information about the name is correct.

Axel is not so common a name these days, mostly senior citizens are named Axel.

Axel Rose would slap you for that !!

:P

O'Byrne played in part of a season when he was 23, the same age Belle is now. Also, Belle is not an offensive defenseman so his 3 points aren't an indication of his talents.

All I'm saying is at the start of last seaon no one was saying O'Byrne's career was over because he turned 23, so why all of a sudden is Belle's now that he is 23?

Because he was traded a bunch of times?

He wasn't traded for late draft picks, he was involved in some decent trades by teams that had to give something up to get something back they needed.

belle could do the same hing O'Byrne did and make the team or be an injury call up and never go back down to the AHL. The possibilities are there

Because he got 9 games in the NHL two years ago and regressed since then. O'Byrne was improving at a steady rate, his stock has been raising ever since he got drafted while Belle's has been dropping.

And like I said, O'Byrne is on the team. He isn't fighting for a spot - he already has a spot with his name on it and unless they make another move, he'll have a regular shift on the second pairing with Hamrlik. You cannot say that about Belle. At best, he will start the season as our 7th defenceman (chances of that are slim to none with Dandenault around) but he will likely play the entire season in Hamilton and is probably behind Carle and Valentenko on the call-up depth chart. With this much talent on defence, Belle's got weak odds at ever making our team. On another team, maybe, but he's got to hope for 2 or 3 injuries if he wants to play for the Habs this year.