Habs Sign Max Pacioretty

Habitforming

After a great showing at the development camp, it appears he will be leaving the Wolverines after just one season.

I love this guys game and can't wait to see him with the big club!!

Wow, if that is true does that mean he has to play on the habs like Lats did when he signed? Or can he go to the AHL. This would be a very surprising move.

Well, maybe they would want him to start the season in Montreal anyway. He was born Nov 20th 1988 so he would be eligible to be sent down after that (turning 20).

Well, maybe they would want him to start the season in Montreal anyway. He was born Nov 20th 1988 so he would be eligible to be sent down after that (turning 20).

I just came back to post that after looking up his birthday.

Wow, if that is true does that mean he has to play on the habs like Lats did when he signed? Or can he go to the AHL. This would be a very surprising move.

Collegiate players are not subject to the 20 year old AHL rule (see: Okposo in NYI), so he would be Bulldog-eligible, which I think he may wind up going to, for lack of roster space on the big club currently. I'll be curious to see what the cap hit will be, that too will have a big impact on his location - how many bonuses are built into the deal, if any?

Very very interesting...

No way in hell they sign this kid to keep him in the minors. Me thinks he's gonna be playing with the big team. Seeing as to how over the past 3 seasons the Habs have had the tendency to break in some of their youth it seemed strange to be that they wouldn't have been doing that this year.

Question now is, who's spot is up for grabs? Obviously, he could start the season in the AHL and work his way up a la S. Kostitsyn...

I guess they saw something they really liked at the Development camp..

Very very interesting...

No way in hell they sign this kid to keep him in the minors. Me thinks he's gonna be playing with the big team. Seeing as to how over the past 3 seasons the Habs have had the tendency to break in some of their youth it seemed strange to be that they wouldn't have been doing that this year.

Question now is, who's spot is up for grabs? Obviously, he could start the season in the AHL and work his way up a la S. Kostitsyn...

Strongly doubt Pac will play with the big club. No room for him on the already-crowded LW. Lats was the only exception to the rule that the Habs like to break in all their prospects in the AHL first.

Strongly doubt Pac will play with the big club. No room for him on the already-crowded LW. Lats was the only exception to the rule that the Habs like to break in all their prospects in the AHL first.

If he keeps on impressing and also performs in the AHL come injury time he will be the first one called up. Anyone know what the LW depth is like in Hamilton??

I agree.

He doesn't see the Habs this year unless he dominates or comes along nicely the way lil kostitsyn did (like someone else said)

As far as another poster said "he must have done well at the development camp", as Timmins put it, "he's a man among boys"

He's probably not going to put up big numbers unless he has 2 good linemates. I mentioned before (i saw him play alot this year) he needs 2 other good players to get points. The COle comparision I don't see, he doesn't create or drive the net with the puck. He is a Ryan Smythe type player, works the boards, plays around the net, gets alot of rebounds, forechecks very well, he needs someone to set up his shot, he does have a good one.

He also kills penalties and plays the PP.

Should be interesting to see how he does and who he plays with.

Well, in a way, I'm happy that Max has started his pro career. It's obvious that both the Canadiens and Max agreed he was ready to turn pro, even after only one year of college. From what I recall, Max had an impressive showing at last year's development camp too, and possibly the rookie training camp in the fall. Together with his play in college and this summer's development camp, he's shown he is ready for the next step in his career. I'm looking forward to watching him play, either in the AHL or the NHL.

I've added this 'Breaking News' to the front page of HW as I believe the news merits it.

How things have chaged....

After Peanut's era of destruction where anyone AHLer with half decent numbers would get a roster spot on the Habs roster (heck, I recall Eric Landy was our number 1 centre for a few games while Craig Darby was on our checking line... our we'd all be praying that Chad Kilger would be a late bloomer playing alongside Koivu), we are now in a position where our farm team will be composed of several good young players, and regardless of theit performance at camp, there won't be any room for them in Montreal.

The fans in Hamilton should see plenty of good young talents such as Pacioretty, Maxwell, Valentenko, Carle, Ryan White, Yannick Weber, and Shawn Belle, all of whom were standout players in their respective leagues, and most of whom wuold probably get at least of few games in the NHL elsewhere.

Even guys like Henry and Glumac, who have some NHL experience, don't stand a remote chance of playing for the Habs. Heck, our number 1 goalie in Hamilton was until recently a good young number 1 goalie in the NHL.

:clap::clap::clap:

I think Max is slated for the AHL but there's nothing wrong with that. I will say one thing, Tender better look in his rear view and see that he has some compitition coming and get his a$$ in gear.

he and Maxwell or trotter will make for one heckuva duo maybe put d'agostini with them to score the goals !!

he and Maxwell or trotter will make for one heckuva duo maybe put d'agostini with them to score the goals !!

I could see two good potential lines for Pacioretty. One is Pacioretty-Maxwell-Glumac.

The other is an all-American line of Pacioretty-Trotter-Wyman... although maybe we should insert D'Agostini instead since those NCAA boys will all get tired at mid-season ;)

I am excited, this kid is going to be great and do not be shocked if he pulls a Sergei and is a habs by Christmas.

I'd be nervous if I was Lats. Hopefully this will light a spark under his butt. I know a lot of you think power forwards need time to develop but I have been patiently disappointed with Lats thus far. After seeing Lucic be so dominant in the 1st round kind of made me jealous on what Lats isn't. Hopefully Max is the real deal and Lats finds himself this year because he feels him breathing down his neck.

I'm surprisedand a little apprehensive by this move with Pacioretty. Currently I think there's no need to rush him along. Why not let him have a dominant year in college and *then* move him up to the AHL?

Very very interesting...

?

What makes you so sure? We don't have any available roster spots unless they want Paccioretty to be a depth forward which isn't going to happen. His only chance would be to light up training camp as well as Gui did but even then, he probably wouldn't make it because it would mean waiving another player.

He'll almost definitely start in the AHL but I expect him to improve so quickly that he might be our #1 call-up at forward by the time we need one. I could see him sticking with Montreal once that happens.

:clap::clap::clap:

I think Max is slated for the AHL but there's nothing wrong with that. I will say one thing, Tender better look in his rear view and see that he has some compitition coming and get his a$$ in gear.

Latendresse either is turning 20 this season or hes turning 21, but i think i see him hitting Hamilton this season, hes got some skill but..it's been developing extremly slow ! i think some domination to get his confidence up in the Minors would do him good. * if hes eligable i really don't know *

?

What makes you so sure? We don't have any available roster spots unless they want Paccioretty to be a depth forward which isn't going to happen. His only chance would be to light up training camp as well as Gui did but even then, he probably wouldn't make it because it would mean waiving another player.

He'll almost definitely start in the AHL but I expect him to improve so quickly that he might be our #1 call-up at forward by the time we need one. I could see him sticking with Montreal once that happens.

Who knows whats going on !

Again, Gui would have to clear waivers to play in Hamilton, which wouldn't happen. Like it or not, Latendresse is a habs next year barring a trade that isn't going to happen.

Latendresse either is turning 20 this season or hes turning 21, but i think i see him hitting Hamilton this season, hes got some skill but..it's been developing extremly slow ! i think some domination to get his confidence up in the Minors would do him good. * if hes eligable i really don't know *

That's sorta short-sighted and unfair to Tender. He greatly improved his game away from the puck in a very tough context (NHL) while also having to lose weight he was used to and improving his skating; all the the while turning out two 16 goals seasons with very little ice-time and no PP time.

To put it in context, 16 goals from Lats is more than Bertuzzi scored in Anaheim while getting 1st line & PP minutes with Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger & Nierdemayer on the ice with him.

And those 16 goals are basically bonus goals since Carbo was very clear that it wasn't Lats' job to put up points on the board; his job was to improve his defensive and checking game, period. Once that will be achieved to Carbo's liking, you'll see Lats get more ice-time in an offensive role with some PP time and you'll just see his stats rise.

Lats got nothing to learn in the AHL at this point; he already learned it all in the NHL.