Sundin Plan B

JtowN

Why would the Habs want a guy like Påhlsson when we allready have Lappiere and Chipchura?

Montreal showed last season that the team is good enough to win the eastern conference. So why didn't they win the cup? It's the edge that's missing, not deepth and role-players.

Mats Sundin would be such improvement. It's either him or nothing. The second best option is to wait for a trade option to come by when season has started or at the deadline.

Maybe this is the season when the San Jose Sharks have to get rid of either Marleau or Thornton?

C'mon now... whoever said what Montreal needs is a top 2 centre is absolutely RIGHT! We dont need a scoring winger like Selenne.

If Sundin wants to take his time then let him. And if he goes elsewhere I don't think Montreal should spend the money just because they have it.

Wait for a team to tank and look to be sellers, and then trade for a Centre. Keep the cap space and wait.

And we certainly do not want to trade a bunch of our better prospects for somebody to come in and play one year. Montreal is going to be competitve for years to come.

Lets not jeopardize that by going after "the guy" when our team is good enough to win it!

I know but this is a Sim post in a Sim season with Sim money over the cap and Joe would be wearing

Bleu-Blanc-Rouge next year...

Tucker and Raycroft playing for then AVs is a good reason not to go back there.

fantasy reigns supreme ..........I guess :wacko:

What I don't understand is how you are willing to pay the price of two Kovalchuks for one yet would only give D'agostini for Beauchemin.

Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are the best two snipers in the game in my opinion, do you think they are going to give him away, you have to go above and beyond for that guy...

Why would the Habs want a guy like Påhlsson when we allready have Lappiere and Chipchura?

Montreal showed last season that the team is good enough to win the eastern conference. So why didn't they win the cup? It's the edge that's missing, not deepth and role-players.

Mats Sundin would be such improvement. It's either him or nothing. The second best option is to wait for a trade option to come by when season has started or at the deadline.

Maybe this is the season when the San Jose Sharks have to get rid of either Marleau or Thornton?

neither of the players you mentioned have any heart, thornton has shown time and time again he cant perform in the playoffs and marleau is one of the most fragile minded players in the game, I wouldnt want either of them

pahlsson fills two needs...pk which was a weakness last year and face offs, also a well publicized weakness lapierre and chipchura haven't played a full season between them, pahlsson was instrumental in anaheims cup run along with travis moen and rob neidermyer, they gave the high octane sens fits if you would remember

neither of the players you mentioned have any heart, thornton has shown time and time again he cant perform in the playoffs and marleau is one of the most fragile minded players in the game, I wouldnt want either of them

pahlsson fills two needs...pk which was a weakness last year and face offs, also a well publicized weakness lapierre and chipchura haven't played a full season between them, pahlsson was instrumental in anaheims cup run along with travis moen and rob neidermyer, they gave the high octane sens fits if you would remember

I kinda of agree with you about SJ, something is off.

I think the thing that bugs me the most if we get Sundin, is Chipchura

spends most of the year in Hamilton. The only thing about Chipchura I

disliked was his speed. I still think he's going to be an elite shutdown

C, because he's smart and got size. I also think that Chipchura's got

some playmaking skills. Adding Pahlsson, while I agrree he is a fine

shutdown C would be a step back.

Just my opinion, and I've been wrong many times before. : :unsure:

If we add Sundin I still think Chips stays with the team. Montreal would have to move some of its role players (Begin, Kostops, etc..)

Could be...

Tanguay - Sundin - Kovalev

S.Kost - Pleks - A. Kosty

Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

Laraque - Chips - Lapierre/Begin/Kostops

WOW! What a lineup.

If we add Sundin I still think Chips stays with the team. Montreal would have to move some of its role players (Begin, Kostops, etc..)

Could be...

Tanguay - Sundin - Kovalev

S.Kost - Pleks - A. Kosty

Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

Laraque - Chips - Lapierre/Begin/Kostops

WOW! What a lineup.

Although I prefer Lapierre on the wing, he's earned a roster spot more than Chips. It will be a tough call who gets to play if Sundin signs with us. But I welcome the "headache". :D

My plan B would be to trade for a C that can play on our top 2 lines. Actually getting that C

should be plan A, more so if he's young.

Selanne we don't really need, we have tons of depth at wing.

Pahlsson and Beauchemin, would be depth players on our team, we have that.

Nice post, well thought out, but C is our weakness. Thats what we need to address :hlogo:

Sakic won't leave Colorado, unless it is to retire. So that is out.

Either way, Gainey has to have a plan B even if it is to sit tight with the available space beecause Sundin isn't gonna be here come September.

thanks

for Kovalchuk i wanna say Higgins, Plekanac, Halak, Mcdonah and a 1st that would be the bare minimum imo I would say Komisarek may need to be involved too

So let me see if I get this.....

We trade Atlanta 2/3rds of a high scoring second line, a starting goalie (he would be in Atlanta anyway, KL is always hurt) a top 10 D-man in the league (Komisarek), as well as "one of the top 3 players not in the NHL right now -Pierre McGuire" in Ryan McDonagh, and then add a first rounder on top of it?

For a guy that completely disappeared in the playoffs and even worse threw a temper tantrum on the ice and ended up taking penalties for it, costing his team even further problems on the PK. He sounds like a keeper to me, if the Cup was awarded for the regular season.

It would be to conservative to even call this a massive overpayment, so I will just call it lunacy and forget I ever read it.

Edited by Habitforming

Yea, i don't understand why people want to trade our good players for players who may be better. The habs were in the top 5 in goals most of last year but yet let's trade for a sniper. I just don't get it.

The Habs addressed there 2 biggest needs last from last years team, another top 6 forward and toughness.

If they get Sundin they'll be that much better, if not the team is good enough to make the playoffs on paper. It's up to them to show up and make it happen. Numerous players are playing for contracts and should have big years.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

So let me see if I get this.....

We trade Atlanta 2/3rds of a high scoring second line, a starting goalie (he would be in Atlanta anyway, KL is always hurt) a top 10 D-man in the league (Komisarek), as well as "one of the top 3 players not in the NHL right now -Pierre McGuire" in Ryan McDonagh, and then add a first rounder on top of it?

For a guy that completely disappeared in the playoffs and even worse threw a temper tantrum on the ice and ended up taking penalties for it, costing his team even further problems on the PK. He sounds like a keeper to me, if the Cup was awarded for the regular season.

It would be to conservative to even call this a massive overpayment, so I will just call it lunacy and forget I ever read it.

I meant two roster players, two prospects and a pick. I did not mean it the way you took it

Tucker and Raycroft playing for then AVs is a good reason not to go back there.

Apparently Andrew Brunette left Colorado because the team is going nowhere this year, citing the goalies as one major concern. Sakic likely feels the same way. He's going to retire.

Apparently Andrew Brunette left Colorado because the team is going nowhere this year, citing the goalies as one major concern. Sakic likely feels the same way. He's going to retire.

Makes sense, but nothing would surprise me after Ryan Smyth went there on the grounds that "they have a better chance to win" than Montreal. Players are no better than your average fan at assessing other organizations and seem to be unduly impressed by reputation. Colorado has a rep as a winning, high-end franchise. Besides, both those guys are former teammates of Sundin's - maybe they're all pals. I see no cause for optimism in this.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

In my opinion, if we don't get Mats, the smartest thing to do would be to re-structure Andrei Kostitsyn's contract to a front-end loaded deal, while we still have the luxury of cap space.

Andrei just signed on for 10 mil (approx.) over three years, however, according to media sources, the moola is evenly distributed over the three years of the contract.

Montreal should offer to pay him 6 mil of it this season, 3 next and 1 in the final year.

We can afford it now, and the strategy will pay dividends in the future in terms of cap space.

And I'm pretty sure Andrei wouldn't complain either. Just my two cents.

In my opinion, if we don't get Mats, the smartest thing to do would be to re-structure Andrei Kostitsyn's contract to a front-end loaded deal, while we still have the luxury of cap space.

Andrei just signed on for 10 mil (approx.) over three years, however, according to media sources, the moola is evenly distributed over the three years of the contract.

Montreal should offer to pay him 6 mil of it this season, 3 next and 1 in the final year.

We can afford it now, and the strategy will pay dividends in the future in terms of cap space.

And I'm pretty sure Andrei wouldn't complain either. Just my two cents.

First, there is no such thing as restructuring a deal in the NHL. You can extend a contract, but even that can only be done in the final year of a contract, and the current contract is played out.

Second, that's not how the salary cap works. Front or back ended deals have no impact on the cap hit.

First, there is no such thing as restructuring a deal in the NHL. You can extend a contract, but even that can only be done in the final year of a contract, and the current contract is played out.

Second, that's not how the salary cap works. Front or back ended deals have no impact on the cap hit.

That's right.

Any NHL contract no matter how it is paid is averaged over the term against the cap.

For example, If you sign Sundin for $20M over 2 years but pay him $15M up front in the first year, his cap hit for the team would be $10M per season.

Any contract can be taken at full value, and then divided by the length for the cap hit. ;)