Upcoming Canadian Election

zumpano21

not a big deal, but I'm pretty sure "hypocrism" ain't no word. Hypocrisy is the word I think y'alls are looking for.

Oops... I'm spending too much time with both anglos and francos, it's starting to affect my language skills... ;) Mix ups, invented words ... soon I'll start raping my cheese... :lol:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

War is when your country is invaded, and any government will respond to that. Don't confuse that with the Bush Doctrine's sham of 'pre-emptive' war, which is imperialistic, illegal and immoral. Canada must resist the fascism and militarism that have taken root south of our border. A hard rain is falling and Canada must stay out of it. Vote ABC.

If, say, it was the Eiffel Tower and Louvre that had been hit on 9/11 and France invaded Afgan then Iraq, you can bet your bottom dollar the Americans would have held up international law and brought the French leader to trial for war crimes. However, the Americans are exempt.

...but this is the Canadian thread. Go Canada. :rolleyes:

If, say, it was the Eiffel Tower and Louvre that had been hit on 9/11 and France invaded Afgan then Iraq, you can bet your bottom dollar the Americans would have held up international law and brought the French leader to trial for war crimes. However, the Americans are exempt.

...but this is the Canadian thread. Go Canada. :rolleyes:

Yup, the USA doesn't recognize the World Court. Except when it is convenient to pretend they do

But yeah, back to the Canadian election! ABC!!!

I'll be in Canada on election day, think can I vote by showing an expired driver's license with a Montreal address?

Oops... I'm spending too much time with both anglos and francos, it's starting to affect my language skills... ;) Mix ups, invented words ... soon I'll start raping my cheese... :lol:

:lol:

Canadians are getting more nervous about the economy, and Harper will be taking the blame (whether it makes sense or not).

Jeffrey Simpson - The Globe and Mail

The Liberals took a massive deficit from the Conservative government, and in four years turned it into a giant surplus. Harper's conservatives took less than four years to turn that back into a deficit.

That said, blaming Harper for the Americans blowing up their (and the world's) economy would not be proper.

Proper. Using it like that makes me sound British. Pish pish, posh posh, not proper, young man, not proper.

Seems like we'll end up with a very divided parliament from a regional point of view : Bloc dominating Québec, Liberals dominating Ontario and Conservatives dominating the West. *sigh* This is the worst possible outcome.

The Liberals took a massive deficit from the Conservative government, and in four years turned it into a giant surplus. Harper's conservatives took less than four years to turn that back into a deficit.

I don't think we're in deficit yet (unless I missed something), although the way the economy is going, it might not be far away. And, I'm sure Harper would argue that it was that 'other' conservative party that ran up the deficits, not them. :rolleyes:

Canada's surplus last year, IIRC, was $9 Billion.

This year will obviously be less given the economy, and previous tax cuts, but is expected to come in at around $2 Billion...of course that could be rapidly changing as the economy is uncertain.

The opposition parties claim, that Canada has "destroyed" it's surplus, is rather ridiculous IMO...of course, the Conservatives have had a policy of debt repayment for any surplus money, so the opposition parties seem to be alleging that this means we haven't had a surplus since it was used to lower the debt ...lol. Fun with numbers. The Liberals, under Chretien and Martin, liked to run surpluses to buy votes through targeted campaign promises.

The government should ALWAYS be close to a deficit...that's kind of the definition of a balanced budget isn't it??

After all, too much surplus means you were over-taxed. Now personally, I think we should have bit the bullet and paid the debt down as much as possible when times were good...the Liberals could have chopped the debt down by another $25 Billion but didn't.

Here's an idea for an easy way for governments to create jobs, create wealth and spend money without costing taxpayers:

Offer people a new set of targeted government bonds at a 3 - 3.5% interest rate. Make the interest earned tax free and the interest rate looks even more attractive. Use the money to finance targeted government infrastructure projects at a 4% interest rate...a rate lower then institutions currently offer. Use the .5%-1% difference to cover administration costs only. People would earn more then markets are currently returning in a relatively risk free investment and the government funds a huge construction market, and a major need given our infrastructure needs...thus funding job creation and creating the infrastructure needed to attract business.

Same could be done to fund renewable energy initiatives.

Basically, they would let people buy bonds that are used to target specific initiatives...people get what they want built, create jobs and earn interest all at the same time. Governments actually do this kind thing fairly often but they just don't advertise the "bonds" very well. Everyone knows about Canada Savings Bonds but they're a little different then above and they aren't as targeted. Infrastructure Ontario, as an example, builds it's funding pool from the above type of structure...if this was more targeted and advertised better they could create a much larger pool of eligible funds and pulls the costs away from taxpayer money.