2008-2009 Habs Training Camp

KoZed

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see a few guys come back from the summer holiays with a few pounds less. They'll be faster and in better shape for the upcoming season!

:lol: don't trust this guy dude. Tanguay said he expects to play with Saku and Higgins OR Sergei. Kozed just pulled a Daren Dreger here...

Edited by JoeLassister

BUHAHAHAHA, This means it's likely the Matrix line of KPK again as a line 2 or vice versa if it works. Price will have more speed but still stands tall. With the change in equipment, this is encouraging. Kovalev should play well lighter since he's done it before.

Camp will be nice watching and wondering if one or many of the Bulldogs is going to knock on the Habs door. :D

PS. It's not too early to post this. Game 1 of camp is in 20 days. Good call KoZed :clap:

GO HABS :hlogo:

So glad to get back to the hockey season!

Too many things to look forward to, Carey and Sergie's sopho seasons, Big Bad Georges dropping the gloves, Kovalev doing his magic again, Tanguay, Guy's Tie, The Bell Centre, RDS...... CANT WAIT

:ghg:

Edited by MMPL

It's a lot. A Hell of a whole lot. Are we just finding out that Price was overweight/not peak physical condition?

Maybe he'll be able to lift his glove hand this year :lol:

I'm excited about the guys coming back in better shape, and I can't WAIT for the season to really kick off, but is anyone else concerned about how long it sometimes takes guys to adjust to their new "playing weight"? I'm not sure if this is actually an issue or if I'm making things up, but last season, when Lats came back lighter, he was having a hard time figuring it out for the first part of the season. Did this have more to do with his being still young / at an early stage in his career? would the same thing happen to Kovy/Price?

And yeah, 25 pounds!

Does anyone know what's going on with Breezer?? His contract's over, right?

Gainey wants to have him back but is awaiting Sundin's decision ( :zzz: ):

One UFA in limbo is veteran defenceman Patrice Brisebois, who had a decent 2007-08 season playing part time after returning to the Canadiens from Colorado. He may be able to pick up some of the slack from Streit's departure.

Gainey is waiting to see what happens with Sundin, or with any alternative deals, before seeing what he can offer Brisebois. But he said he would like to have the Montreal native back.

full THN article

every year players come back "in the best shape of their lives" and report workout regimes or weight loss/gain that will take them to the next level. I have seen very little correlation between precamp reports and actual camp performance.

every year players come back "in the best shape of their lives" and report workout regimes or weight loss/gain that will take them to the next level. I have seen very little correlation between precamp reports and actual camp performance.

Because every player comes back in incredible shape nowadays, it minimizes the impact of any of those "improvements". If only one guy came back in great shape, he'd have an advantage. But when everyone does it, it just comes back to talent and any other areas in which the player improved. Top fitness levels are a basic requirement of every player at this level.

I don't mind so much that Gainey wants to bring Brisebois back for another season, but if he does, I hope that Carbonneau realizes that Breezer is only a reserve 7th defenseman, and therefore should not again start the season nor the playoffs; I would even say in the case of in injury, Valentenko or Carle should also have the priority, at least for the regular season.

Another thing, I hope we don't again boost his cap number with bonuses like we did last season. Brisebois should hopefully have a cap number below 1M, which would still give us plenty of cap room to make strategic moves during the season if ncecessary.

Finally, Gainey's comments about needing a 7th defenseman shows how pathetic Dandeneault has become (and how amazing the Detroit organization is, making him and many others look much better than they really are). He's a mediocre forward, and now he's not even good enough to be a reserve defenseman for the Canadiens. For some reason, he should be back in Montreal, but we probably should send him to Hamilton (if anyone was interested, he would probably have been traded by now). The Habs would be better off keeping Brisebois, Kostopoulos, and Stewart as extras.

Because every player comes back in incredible shape nowadays, it minimizes the impact of any of those "improvements". If only one guy came back in great shape, he'd have an advantage. But when everyone does it, it just comes back to talent and any other areas in which the player improved. Top fitness levels are a basic requirement of every player at this level.

I think it has a little more to do with the fact that reporters need column inches to fill and in a place like montreal, hockey inches sell papers. Between the end of the FA frenzy and the opening of training camps there is basically nothing to talk about (this year is the exception with the Sundin story and the dismantling of the Leafs) so hockey writers try to predict the upcoming season. OK, that's one article. Then they preview the rookies, that's one more article, mostly cribbing from the post-draft review that they wrote which necessarily included discussion of prospect depth. Between predictions and prospects you might get 3 or 4 days worth of articles. Russian sniper says something not completely uninteresting? 1 day. Young belarussian gives a moderately entertaining interview to an eastern euro newspaper? Take the day off, let some McGill intern translate someone else's work. You still have at least another week or two of columns to write.

Hey, look! the players are back in town! Are they going to be good this year? already wrote the predictions article(s), so not much to say there... lemme get a look at those boys... did Price lose weight or did he just look bigger in pads? Is Lapierre packing it on to keep up with Laraque? Better ask them... I can crib from my old prediction articles, add a paragraph about off-season routines and get out of here for a matinee.

I've read that Tender lost some weight too.

20-25 pounds for Price is not that much, because they say he was a little fat... It is Rollie that asked his to loose some fat!

Imagine, he'll be even faster!

Yeah, Carey had some baby fat he needed to shed. IT's nice to see him slimmer...he'll be even faster(if that's even possible!)

I've read that Tender lost some weight too.

20-25 pounds for Price is not that much, because they say he was a little fat... It is Rollie that asked his to loose some fat!

Imagine, he'll be even faster!

It's a ton. He had the weight to lose, he was something like 235 pounds last season which is almost as much as Komisarek (and an inch shorter). I did think he was a bit slow last season but by that I mean his reflexes and glove hand, not his positioning. As far as I'm concerned, his lateral movement and general positioning is as good as you're going to find in any NHL goaltender. I don't think losing 25 pounds makes your glove hand much faster. I liked him when he was big, he looked like a wall in front of the net and that intimidates shooters bigtime. You could hit top corner every time on an empty net but with a goalie there, even if they leave the corner open, it's much tougher to hit it because of the psychological effect the goalie has on you.

It's a ton. He had the weight to lose, he was something like 235 pounds last season which is almost as much as Komisarek (and an inch shorter). I did think he was a bit slow last season but by that I mean his reflexes and glove hand, not his positioning. As far as I'm concerned, his lateral movement and general positioning is as good as you're going to find in any NHL goaltender. I don't think losing 25 pounds makes your glove hand much faster. I liked him when he was big, he looked like a wall in front of the net and that intimidates shooters bigtime. You could hit top corner every time on an empty net but with a goalie there, even if they leave the corner open, it's much tougher to hit it because of the psychological effect the goalie has on you.

NHLPA.com has him listed as 222 lbs for last year.

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=29074

Seeing Price lose some weight is definitely a good thing. AS far As I remember, Roy and Hasek were never very "heavy" and it never stopped them from becomming some of the best goalies i the NHL.

Seeing Price lose some weight is definitely a good thing. AS far As I remember, Roy and Hasek were never very "heavy" and it never stopped them from becomming some of the best goalies i the NHL.

Price is also a little taller than Roy and Brodeur, and if he did lose that much weight, he's now quite a bit lighter than Brodeur.

NHLPA.com has him listed as 222 lbs for last year.

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=29074

It had been reported as 235 lbs by more than one source last season. Goalie's World had him at 235 due to weight training.

I am 6'3" and when I was 235 I was pretty fat, so my guess is he is carrying a lot of muscle.

Because of that I doubt he is coming in at 197 right now. Every site I have been to this year has him at 226. Let's see if that changes

Edited by Wamsley01