2008-2009 Habs Training Camp

KoZed

So glad to get back to the hockey season!

Too many things to look forward to, Carey and Sergie's sopho seasons, Big Bad Georges dropping the gloves, Kovalev doing his magic again, Tanguay, Guy's Tie, The Bell Centre, RDS...... CANT WAIT

:ghg:

Guy's tie was sold for $100 000 at the auction a couple of days ago... let's see if he wears an even nastier one this year...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had been reported as 235 lbs by more than one source last season. Goalie's World had him at 235 due to weight training.

I am 6'3" and when I was 235 I was pretty fat, so my guess is he is carrying a lot of muscle.

Because of that I doubt he is coming in at 197 right now. Every site I have been to this year has him at 226. Let's see if that changes

Yeah, I'm 6'2" and I've never reached 235 lbs. I'm currently around the 220 mark, and I've got a fair bit of fat on me (beer gut) at that weight. Obviously, he was much fitter than me.

Ryan Miller is about 6'2" and less than 175, so it's obvious Price isn't that kind of tall lanky build that a lot of goalies are. But 220-230 is definitely a high weight for a goalie.

I think that the ideal weight for Carey should be between 210 and 220pds. At that size, he can still be fast and solid on his skates!

Edited by Habsfan

Yeah, I'm 6'2" and I've never reached 235 lbs. I'm currently around the 220 mark, and I've got a fair bit of fat on me (beer gut) at that weight. Obviously, he was much fitter than me.

Ryan Miller is about 6'2" and less than 175, so it's obvious Price isn't that kind of tall lanky build that a lot of goalies are. But 220-230 is definitely a high weight for a goalie.

I am at about 210 right now and share the same beergut. But one of the things in the Goalie's World article they kept referring to was

the size of his biceps and thigh and calf muscles in regards to the equipment he uses due to his weight training.

They also said because of his size that he destroys his equipment quickly. They were saying he was 235. Judging by the images from

the golf tourney he looks closer to a fit 210-15 than a 195. If Goalie's World was correct in that he carrys a lot of muscle mass than it

would be pretty hard to drop to below 200 lbs.

Gotta love that beergut.

I do remember seeing a few pictures where I could not believe the size of Carey's legs. They were enormous. And leg muscle goes a long way. Also, let us not discard the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, and could add up quite easily on a guy his size.

I'm not worried.

(Apply for HWL.)

I wonder if Carey Price and Jason Missiaen would make the tallest duo of goaltenders in NHL history. At least we would never hear them complain that they can't see over their defensemen's shoulders... Halak however... :P

With Price, it's not really that he's tall, just that he's incredibly big or heavy.

I wonder if Carey Price and Jason Missiaen would make the tallest duo of goaltenders in NHL history. At least we would never hear them complain that they can't see over their defensemen's shoulders... Halak however... :P

Price still can't see over Komi ;)

Stejskal is at the rookie camp. I'm not sure if he's playing at the NCAA level this next year or if he was heading back to the USHL. If he's going back to the USHL, the move makes some sense, though he'd have to pay his own way and the Habs can't pick up any of his expenses. He should be in college right now if he had gone to the NCAA.

The name I noticed was Phillipe Paquet at the main training camp. He still has his senior year of university left, and he hasn't signed a contract with the Habs. Is he forgoing his last year of college to sign an AHL only deal with Hamilton? If he's skipping college, then he better have a contract with the Habs lined up. That's just a stupid decision on his behalf if he doesn't.

Stejskal is at the rookie camp. I'm not sure if he's playing at the NCAA level this next year or if he was heading back to the USHL. If he's going back to the USHL, the move makes some sense, though he'd have to pay his own way and the Habs can't pick up any of his expenses. He should be in college right now if he had gone to the NCAA.

The name I noticed was Phillipe Paquet at the main training camp. He still has his senior year of university left, and he hasn't signed a contract with the Habs. Is he forgoing his last year of college to sign an AHL only deal with Hamilton? If he's skipping college, then he better have a contract with the Habs lined up. That's just a stupid decision on his behalf if he doesn't.

If Paquet really is attending the main training camp, perhaps he wants to make an impression on Canadiens management right away, before McDonagh, Fischer, Subban, or anyone else who could make the jump next season. Besides, we're a little thin on defense in Hamilton, with only 6 "regulars" to form a defensive sqad (Anderson, Carle, Valentenko, Weber, Henry, and Belle), and some uncertainty about the Canadiens 7th defenseman (it could become Shawn Belle).

Therefore if Paquet makes the Bulldogs team, even as a 7th defenseman, he's likely to play enough games to get a chance to make a name for himself before the others.

Edited by CerebusClone

If Paquet really is attending the main training camp, perhaps he wants to make an impression on Canadiens management right away, before McDonagh, Fischer, Subban, or anyone else who could make the jump next season. Besides, we're a little thin on defense in Hamilton, with only 6 "regulars" to form a defensive sqad (Anderson, Carle, Valentenko, Weber, Henry, and Belle), and some uncertainty about the Canadiens 7th defenseman (it could become Shawn Belle).

Therefore if Paquet makes the Bulldogs team, even as a 7th defenseman, he's likely to play enough games to get a chance to make a name for himself before the others.

Someone should've told Paquet his chances of making it in hockey, despite being drafted by a NHL team, are miniscule. Take the free degree. Hope he has amassed enough credits that he still follows through with graduation.

7th defenseman for an AHL team is not a good career. He better be getting guaranteed signing bonus money out of the Habs to help pay for his final year of college by correspondence.

Article on Lats on Cyberpresse: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080913...mpaign=CANADIEN

Lats says he has "a roster spot to lose" this season and he worked his ass off on his skating this summer by following a special program. He says he changed the way he skates, has a more explosive first step and more balance on his skates. He also lost another 10 lbs so he should be around 212 lbs now. He also said the birth of his new baby changed him for the better.

David Fisher wasn't invited to camp...does anyone know why?

RDS.ca

College players are not allowed to participate to pro training camps.

Although strangely Joe Stejskal is on the Canadiens list of players attending the rookie camp, and also the only currently still in the NCAA.

NCAA players can attend pro camps. But they cannot receive any money to do so. This means they have to pay their own way to and from the camp and pay their expenses while they are there.

Also, I am not sure when Fisher's classes start - he may be in class during the camp. I think Stejskal's classes don't begin until after the camp is over.

Lats says he has "a roster spot to lose" this season and he worked his ass off on his skating this summer by following a special program. He says he changed the way he skates, has a more explosive first step and more balance on his skates. He also lost another 10 lbs so he should be around 212 lbs now. He also said the birth of his new baby changed him for the better.

Damn, he's already a father? That's stressful.

Don't worry. He's rich. He can give the kid the best daycare services.

If I had a kid at age 20 (even now), I'd have been screwed.

Still, that's a big weight on your mind. And I feel bad for the kid, can't help but think he won't have as much of a fatherly presence as he would have if Lats were in his late 20s or 30s. Hard on the mother, too (who I assume is roughly the same age).

Still, that's a big weight on your mind. And I feel bad for the kid, can't help but think he won't have as much of a fatherly presence as he would have if Lats were in his late 20s or 30s. Hard on the mother, too (who I assume is roughly the same age).

Guys it is much different whe you have the money Latendress does and will have.

He gets to see his kid all summer, and half og the year at home, also from what I heard since this Kid has been born his appearances downtown at the bars has dropped big time, I think he will be a fantastic father.

Lol If i was making 850.000$ + per year, my wife would not have to work at all.... Full time parent for her and more than part time for him. How is this different than a 22 yo soldier father ?